Free Agents accept unrealistic contract offers

As I was searching for free agents to sign as tutors for my club I noticed that offering a high wage raise with the "after X league games with club" clause, the player accepts to sign a contract with very low salary.

Latest example; August 2014 and I signed Ivica Olic and Jermaine Jones on a 1 year contract for 200k/year, 80k loyalty bonus and with the clause "after 30 league games" the salary will be 4million/year. Of course that won't happen and I think the player should be able to understand that a contract offer like that is just a trick.

The above numbers are in Euro and for the sake of perspective Jones was asking for a 1-year contract, 750k/year salary and 450k loyalty bonus. Ivica's demands were similar. I'm sure that if I included a very high appearance bonus i could get them for even less money.

I know from experience that some clauses that do no harm to the team (ie relegation release clause of 0 when you are managing a top class team) can be used to lower contract demands but I think the trick with the ridiculous raise is too unrealistic

I wouldn't consider it a bug, but the AI can't figure out your intentions as they're a bit unusual. At least to me :)

In reality I think that you would be able to do that trick a couple of times. Then the player's would tip their association and the rumour would spread, that you're not giving them a fair chance to get the bonuses in the contracts.

Couldn't you do this the other way around in FM12? Give them huge wages and then cut it in half or more after X matches?

That aside FM really needs to give players a slightly better AI regarding to contracts. Stuff like this or completely unrealistic mininum fee clauses heavily reducing wages shouldn't be possible. I mean the player complains about an unrealistic asking price if you set it to 40 mil, but he's more than willing to reduce his wages by 20% because his contract has a release clause off 80mil?

Same goes for free agents that would rather retire than play for a club/wage they consider below their standards.

some aspects of contracts are unrealistic

On my arsenal save I signed a messi-esque newgen about 25 years in the future at arsenal and had to offer him 325K per week, even with that he would only sign on with huge bonuses, and crucially, a 50% yearly wage rise. Obviously this was unmaintainable for me- luckily 6 months later he agreed to renew his contract at 350K per week without any yearly wage rise- which was very good/stupid of him! Because otherwise i'd be paying him over 2 mil a week by the end of his contract....

Archived