Sports Interactive Community
Sussex Hammer

Anyone else get bored a few years down the line??

I'm beginning to wonder if patch releases actually do me a favour because each time a patch comes out I start a new game so in each incarnation of FM I never get too many years down the line.

Had two games saved. A game 1 and a half seasons in which was an auto save of my present game and a saved game in about September of my 6th season. At the end of my 5th season I qualified for the Champions League and suddenly had a bit of money to spend. A few players were getting on and were deemed past it even though 6 months earlier they played fine (do they age too quick in FM?!) Anyway I let them go on frees and then stupidly went a bit mad in the transfer market. Got a few in and then players like Oscar and Luis Suarez became available so grabbed them as well giving me 8 extra players for the new season so only a handful of the original squad were left. Started the season and am unbeaten and going well but I suddenly got this urge to delete the game and go back to my save that is only a season and a bit in even though I have rarely experienced a Champions League campaign and it would have been interesting to play.

Not sure why this is. Maybe it's the fact that I have too many players now and too much that isn't realistic like Suarez and Oscar joining West Ham!!! Maybe it's the slow regeneration of new made up players as all the current crop retire and possibly it's my total failure to actually bring a few youngsters from the reserves and Under 18's through to become first team regulars. Anyone really achieve this with default training and leaving your staff to it??? All very odd but I think I just feel a few years down the line the realism goes out of it and I seem to prefer playing say 5 years and then starting again.

Anyone else feel like this in a long term save?

I always start a new save when an update occurs (old Beta testing habit I guess) but it's not out of boredom.

My cure for your problem would be to go manage in South America, start somewhere like Argentina div 2 and you'll rarely see a name you recognise, also the competition formats and nationality restrictions make it refreshingly different.

The game has issues when managing a big club, that I can say for sure. It´s not really realistic to blast all the AI-managers and win all the trophies for yourself and your team when managing a big club. I would like for there to be even bigger demands from the board when managing big clubs, the current system isn´t at all realistic. I often tend to think that the reason why almost everyone are so hooked into lower league management is because the demands are not easy to meet, as is the case with a big club.

As for the West Ham thing I think you are wrong. No one knows where West Ham will be IRL in 5 years time, although probably still in the bottom and it is a good thing that the game produces new top clubs.

I have had FM13 since release and my longest save so far was November of season 2. Can't get in to it at the moment at all, mainly due to the ME. Not going to go off on a rant about the ME though. Neil's update says we will probably have something before March, but not guaranteed. Whatever. I'm happy to wait if it means I can finally crack on with a decent game. Never buy FM before the 3rd patch, that is my rule and I broke it with FM13.

With FM12 I got on well with a 70 year multi club/level/nation career- moving onto new challenges after 20 or so years at each club!

I'm in my 10th or so season with arsenal in fm13 and I've already destroyed the footballing world by creating an omnipotent superpower that smashes through all opposition.

I have all 7 of the top 7 rated players in the world at the club, the rest of the top 10 are players who have been at the club and I sold them. If I want to buy the next best player in the world I just can....I can just pay a £200million transfer fee and it wont have a catastrophic impact on the club finances.

I think I want to win 10 consecutive leagues and at least one 'septruple'...which I haven't done yet, but I'll move on soon.

I think the rule is if you find it easy and you like it, good. If you find it easy and that frustrates you, it is a good idea to move on within the same save/reality. With fm12 I twice did bottom of bss to premier league winners with 2 different clubs, then I went abroad. The fact that that is possible does suggest that it is too easy, but you can create challenges for you in-game when it gets too comfortable.

...I would welcome it being harder, I don't know if that will come over time...I think a less predictable/simply manipulated match engine would help and fm has got close to that in the past. It is mainly how poor AI is in the transfer market that does them in though- they just don't build the kind of squads players can.

I always get a bit bored after 5+ seasons, but am hoping FM13 will break the habit.

How will it do that? Well, I've started to pay more attention to the various "bits" of the game, and two of these "bits" - Scouting and Training - ensure that I want to see how my newgens progress, and I always want to better the last newgen with the next one.

I'm only on season six, but have 10 newgens in my first XI, and my average squad age is 19. It's a new experience for me, and I love it.

I get bored when I find things too easy with a big club. Usually I win things and then leave (unless I have youngsters who I want to break into the team.)

I usually change clubs after a few years. I get itchy feet and when I feel I've done enough with a club I'll load up a league in another nation and resign then apply for new jobs.

once you made the transition of being a average/awful club to well established club and having the usual 30 youngsters squad, things get very boring

I think what would make it better if a bit of creative licence was given on the stats of a few real life youngsters. For instance we have Danny Potts, George Moncur and Ollie Lee at West Ham. Rather than overload the game with good regens just give some of the real life youngsters higher PA's so you don't then have to flood your youth team with generated players. I'm not saying make every real youth player the next David Beckham but IRL we really don't know how they are going to turn out. In my game Danny Potts is the only one that really comes through and that's more down to the fact that the game is lacking in full backs affordable for middle range teams so I have to play him. George Moncur and Ollie Lee's dads were top level footballers. Moncur and Lee Junior may well never get to that level IRL but that bit of creative licence to make them possible top players in the game would keep more real life youngsters as decent transfer targets or as potential first team players.

Unless im managing my real life team i move alot for this reason. On my third team in 10 years in my current save. Currently at Real Madrid. Each team i move to has to offer something different from the previous challenge.

E.g. this save i started with Barca, with the dream of taking the worlds best team, and making it the best team of all time without any possible quesitons. 3 successive seasons we won every competition we entered, i knew id done enough. Even was missing my 3 best players for 2 of the CL finals and you wouldn't have guessed it watching the match. Even the back up players where regulars for major nations and would start for most if not all big clubs in the biggest leagues.

After that i decided a new challenge was needed. I resigned so teams could afford to have me, i was on a huge wage and a very long contract at Barca, which id signed first season to make sure i had time to do what i wanted. First team that offered me the job was Everton. Missing most of their recognised players apart from Jelavic, Jagielka and Baines. I had to rebuild a squad of only 16 players and 8 youth. And finnish in the top half when doing so. I took on the challenge. Somehow fluking 3rd first season. Second season we finnished 8th after losing some key players and my DoF spending 50% of my transfer budget on a position i already had 5 very good players for. (that'll teach me for making sure I finalize the deals) Although we did make the quarters of the champions league.

Third season i got as far as November. I'd already decided i had 3 ex-Barca players in my squad and had the foundations of a title challenging side, we where 3rd and i thought 1 more season after this. Then Real came knocking. Sitting 10th in the league, and their youngest player was a 32 year old Sergio Ramos. Barca had won the league the past 7 years, basically every year since i took over. Already out of European football, the board had given up on the special one. About 6 years too late given the changes compared to the dominant rivals. With a huge transfer budget and demands of top 4 i found it hard to refuse.

I got to work quickly, selling the aging duds, replacing them with players. I won early. But my contract demanded i played attacking football. Something i wasnt comfortable doing with a team with an average age of 34. There was some young lads i promoted from the youths, and Castilla quickly. But they wherent yet CL material. Come January, my job was VERY INSECURE, despite winning all my games bar Malaga (2nd to Barca the past 3 years) and the Barca dream team which was still 99% the side i built. Not a single new signing apart from a Falcao replacement.

Come the end of January you wouldnt have reconised most of my team. We finished third and i was very secure after going to my attacking tactic.

The following season the rest of the golden oldies where gone. Id brought in a huge regen star i had at Everton, smashing Evertons record sale in the process, not bad for a lad i signed for £2m 2 years earlier. I poached 4 top premiership players, 2 of which where part of the title winning Chelsea side the year before, and just missed out on a third due to a broken leg scuppering the deal at the last minute. 2nd season we won the CL but still couldn't quite end the Barca La Liga strange hold. But it was good to know the side could beat everyone but Barca. 3rd season now and cant finnish season due to my Pc giving up on FM. Getting a new one soon, and will transfer save. But miles clear in the league in January after a bad Barca start. Probably will only see this and next season out and move on again.

Good work there Wardog.

I definitely agree with Kriss.

If you're bored or continually getting so then a change of surroundings might be a good thing. Every new FM I start a save in the English BSN or BSS (Used to always be Blyth until relegation, currently Truro - Well hard to start with BTW). I love driving a team up from the lower levels and knowing every player on the books.

If I ever feel like my game is becoming stagnant then I change it up. New save, new location or a new tactical style/shape; something to keep me playing.

Try the MLS for the draft system for instance. It will make a nice change and you might get your mojo back. :thup:

I always play long term saves, I usually only ever have one person version of FM unless there is a technical or playability problem.

My current FM11 save is in 2036/7.