[FM 13.3] USA Expansion v1: MLS, NASL, USL PRO, PDL, NPSL, NCAA

USA EXPANSION FILE v1

MLS

• Format unchanged
  • Draft, draft, All-Star game, rivalry cups etc still take place
  • Squads updated for 2013 season.

NASL

• NY Cosmos are added from 2013 season.
  • Ottawa, Virginia and Indianapolis join in 2014, Puerto Rico Islanders rejoin (season remains 16 games in each stage).
  • From 2013 the NASL changes to a Spring/Fall schedule.
  • 16 games in each stage.
  • Winner of Spring stage will host the Soccer Bowl, against the winner of the Autumn stage, or if one team wins both, then the team with second best record.
  • As in real life, NY Cosmos won't take part in Spring season in 2013.

USL Pro

• VSI and Phoenix added to give 13 teams.
  • Sacramento join in 2014.
  • Teams play each other twice home/away.
  • Teams also play 2 games against a specific MLS Reserve team.
  • Eight teams qualify for playoffs.

USL PDL

• 9 divisions as in the 2013 season format.
  • Each division plays 14 regular season games as in real life.
  • Best place American teams will qualify for next season's US Open Cup.

NPSL

• 10 divisions as in the 2013 season format..
  • Teams play 2 rounds of games with best teams qualifying for playoffs.

NCAA

• All NCAA teams are placed in one conference, this is to ensure they all get youth regens.
  • Actuate representation of conferences (based on 2012).
  • Most conferences play 1 round of games.
  • Most conferences have a post season tournament with all or some teams based on final positions qualifying.
  • Winners of tournament (for some conferences league) qualify for NCAA Championship. For many tournaments other top teams also qualify to give 48 teams in Championship.
  • NCAA teams also play non conference games in real life, to replicate this I have set up a group competition with all 204 teams divided into 17 groups of 12 teams.
  • League games ending in a draw at 90 minutes have extra time.

U.S. Soccer Development Academy

• Group stage with seven regional groups as in real life playing one round including teams to be added in 2013/14 season.
  • Group winners plus one 2nd best team qualify for second group stage which also plays one round. Then 7th, 5th, 3rd playoff and final.

US Open Cup

• 2012 format as it was.
  • 2013 format expands to 68 teams.
  • American based MLS, NASL, USL Pro teams all qualify.
  • NY Cosmos, Virgina, Indianapolis and Sacramento join in 2014.
  • 16 best place American PDL teams from previous season qualify.
  • From 2014, NPSL sends 8 teams to First Round.

Disney Pro Soccer Classic

• Format for 2013 season
  • 8 teams in two groups
  • 7th, 5th , 3rd place playoffs plus the final
  • All matches take place at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex

Carolina Challenge Cup and Desert Diamond Cup

• Format for 2013
  • All games at correct stadiums

World Football Challenge

• 12 teams (3 MLS and 9 top teams from around the world).
  • Each team plays 3 games at various big stadiums around the US in July.
  • Winner is team with best overall record.
  • Competition does not run during World Cup years.

MLS Reserve Division

• Format correct for 2013 season. Philadelphia Union, DC United, Sporting KC and NE Revolution do not have reserve teams due to USL PRO affiliates.

USL Super-20

• USL Pro and USL PDL teams enter their U-20 teams, organised into regional groups
  • 16 teams qualify for final group stage
  • Top 4 qualify for playoff semi-finals.

Generation Adidas Cup

• 19 MLS academy teams play in group stage, 4 groups each team plays 4 games
  • Group winners qualify for semi-finals

Canadian Championship

• Ottawa Fury and FC Edmonton will play-off for semi-final place against 3 MLS teams from 2014 season on.

USA DOWNLOAD LINK: VERSION 1.3.1 http://www.mediafire.com/?z5bgqoyukm5kc7g

WARNING: This edit has been created using a method not supported by SI. Use this thread to let me know of any bugs. DO NOT report anything on the SI bugs forum.

1. Place the dbc file in your editor data folder e.g. Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2013\editor data

2. Start a new game, click on "New Career Game" and tick change under "Editor Data Files".

3. Ensure "USA-Expansion v1.3.1.dbc" is ticked and click confirm.

4. Select the USA and then on the next screen the desired level you wish to start with.

Known issues:

1. The game doesn't deal very well with age limits on teams and even though players are overage on NCAA teams often they will stay there.

2. I can't say how compatible this will be with other files, but I know for example it will NOT work with FMUpdates EEE - England, Enhanced, Expanded :(

3. US Open Cup teams are static for 2013, if you start in 2012 your PDL or NPSL team may not be entered in 2013 US Open Cup even if it says you've qualified, as the teams have been hardcoded for that year. Subsequent years will work correctly.

4. Contract types for NASL, USL Pro and PDL are not quite perfect but as good as I could get them, at least for now.

CANADA EXPANSION FILE v1

CSL

• Canadian Nation rules plus CSL and CSL reserve division.
  • Teams based on expected 2013 format.

This file is optional. The USA will work without this file, it is primarily included to give you an option to start in 2013 by Selecting Canada as your start date.

CANADA DOWNLOAD LINK: VERSION 1 http://www.mediafire.com/?lq36nc89x4xx5ac

For installation instructions, see USA above.

Known issues:

1. This file contains no data changes, only nation and league rules.

2. Toronto's Academy team has been removed and Burlington added. These changes have been made in the USA file to avoid ID clashes. Data changes to the Canada file may result in problems with the USA file, most likely the NASL or USL Pro will stop functioning.

GRAHPICS ADD-ON PACK v1

Graphics

Install the graphics as normal, unzipping the contents and placing it in your Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2013\graphics folder.

GRAHPICS ADD-ON PACK: http://www.mediafire.com/?ogo4o5o6vj5ni75

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats how I've set it in the editor, however after a few years some overage players will remain at ncaa teams even though they're ineligible. They will however be available for transfer then as they'll no longer be draft protected as Superdraft takes place from NCAA teams and not PDL

How about adding the American Academy division? I have done this on my edit by doing.."Add Single League" (even though there are around 80 Teams). Then when you go to League Details you set it up as Groups. I have done Groups of 10. Works great.

How about adding the American Academy division? I have done this on my edit by doing.."Add Single League" (even though there are around 80 Teams). Then when you go to League Details you set it up as Groups. I have done Groups of 10. Works great.

Another good suggestion, I've added it as an active division under the NCAA. Group stage with 7 regional groups playing one round of games. Top team in each group plus best second place qualify for second group stage which also plays one round. Then 7th, 5th, 3rd playoff and final. Format seems to be working ok, its what I found on U.S. Soccer's website.

Problem will be that the only teams which will get an intake of youth players are the MLS academy teams in this division. I wish there was a way to change that.

Generation addidas cup also added, the 19 MLS academy teams are in 4 groups, top teams in each group qualify for semis.

Good to hear how you set up the NCAA, and that the draft comes from the NCAA. Cool you could do that. Sounds like it would be a fun career game to start in the NCAA and work your way "up" from there. Not much you can do about the AI keeping ineligible players, just something stupid that I've seen it do in non-edited leagues as well. At least they can't play.

Will you be adding Indy, Ottawa and Virginia to the NASL?

I'll try to do it so that I release one file, and if people wish they can open the file in the editor as usual, add the teams to NASL and the game rules should take take care of the rest themselves. You won't need totouch the rules.

I'll try to do it so that I release one file, and if people wish they can open the file in the editor as usual, add the teams to NASL and the game rules should take take care of the rest themselves. You won't need totouch the rules.

Good stuff!

If we add teams, will this create a problem with the US Open Cup? ie, not drawing all teams in the NASL, only the # of teams that you used to create the cup..

If we add teams, will this create a problem with the US Open Cup? ie, not drawing all teams in the NASL, only the # of teams that you used to create the cup..

As my file is at the moment, the new teams simply wouldn't take part in US Open Cup. Because of non-US teams in the top four divisions, I can't simply use get all teams from division. I'd need to think about how to do it.

I believe it was Dim (if I remember correctly) who found out a way to add the NY Cosmos to the MLS without losing all the MLS rules. Perhaps that is something for you to look at.

I'm aiming for a realistic expansion of the US leagues, as they are at the moment, rather than any distant possibilities such as Cosmos joining MLS.

You add team by team (leave out TFC, Mon & Van) for the MLS.. I think I have done this before.

What I meant was how to do it so that it would be possible for people to take my file, add any expansion teams they want themselves to NASL or USL Pro and have those teams also enter US Cup.

I personally won't be adding any new teams to divisions other than those involved in the upcoming 2013 season, i.e. Cosmos, VSI & Phoenix.

I suppose I could add a blank "US Cup Teams" division, give it higher seeding than, say, amateur teams and then if somebody wants to, for example add Indianapolis, they could set division to NASL and secondary division to US Cup Teams and then it should work. I'd need to test it first and at the moment I'm testing other parts of the file.

I'm aiming for a realistic expansion of the US leagues, as they are at the moment, rather than any distant possibilities such as Cosmos joining MLS.

OK, then I've misunderstood something. I thought it was certain that Cosmos would join the MLS as of next season.

PDL just released their schedule for 2013, some new teams. Biggest change is the season is now 14 games down from 16. I don't see any info on changes to playoff format. I might leave PDL as it is for now and do any changes after the next patch with data update comes out.

The more I go playing with the existing database the greater the chances of failed changes later on.

four new teams have joined the PDL for 2013, including the New York Magic – F.A. Euro, the Real Boston Rams, the SW Florida Adrenaline and a franchise in Oklahoma City.

Several teams have announced name changes including IMG Academy Bradenton (IMG Bradenton Academics), K-W United FC (Hamilton FC Rage), the NJ LUSO Rangers FC (New Jersey Rangers), the S.C. United Bantams (Palmetto FC Bantams) and VSI Tampa Bay FC (VSI Tampa Flames).

Thats how I've set it in the editor, however after a few years some overage players will remain at ncaa teams even though they're ineligible. They will however be available for transfer then as they'll no longer be draft protected as Superdraft takes place from NCAA teams and not PDL

When i've tried to create a team in the past that could only field players under 21/22/etc, i had the same issue. The players would stay at the club, collect wages, and be ineligible to play. They would get upset about lack of first team football, get upset when you transfer list them, get upset when you accept transfer offers, etc. Not very realistic at all.

You'd think that if someone bothered to create the concept of an age-restricted club in FM, they would have also blocked you from signing them to contracts beyond that age restriction, and made it easier for the players to understand that they are required to move clubs before they hit the maximum age (and should be seeking to do so, without being upset about it).

four new teams have joined the PDL for 2013, including the New York Magic – F.A. Euro, the Real Boston Rams, the SW Florida Adrenaline and a franchise in Oklahoma City.

Several teams have announced name changes including IMG Academy Bradenton (IMG Bradenton Academics), K-W United FC (Hamilton FC Rage), the NJ LUSO Rangers FC (New Jersey Rangers), the S.C. United Bantams (Palmetto FC Bantams) and VSI Tampa Bay FC (VSI Tampa Flames).

Yeah I saw that, but like I say I'll probably just leave PDL and NPSL as they are until the next patch comes out. Then I'll know what changes have already been made in the data update and I'll be able to work on a final version. I'll still release a beta version soon.

As a fan of my local NPSL side (AFC Cleveland), I'm extremely excited for this.

Will you be adding the new NPSL teams for this database? Also, Cleveland-Detroit-Buffalo compete for the Rust Belt Cup. AFC Cleveland won it in 2012.

As a fan of my local NPSL side (AFC Cleveland), I'm extremely excited for this.

Will you be adding the new NPSL teams for this database? Also, Cleveland-Detroit-Buffalo compete for the Rust Belt Cup. AFC Cleveland won it in 2012.

Most likely I'll leave PDL teams and NPSL as they are in the regional database until the patch comes out. But then I'll add any missing teams, as well as missing stadia, kits and such.

I'd like to know what is on your to-do list. It's great that this is working for FM13, as it wasn't possible in FM12.

Will you be adding in Canada to the mix?

Otherwise great work, will give this a try!

Yes I'll add Canada soon.

Other than that I'll wait and see what the new patch brings, as you know it has a habit of breaking as many things as it fixes.

I also need to wait until USL Pro, NPSL etc announce their formats for the upcoming 2013 season. I don't know about non-league in England but I know why SI don't bother with the lower leagues in the USA as they change so dramatically year after. year. It says something when England, probably one of the most popular leagues in the game and with 6 level active has 121 post in he league specific issues bug forum, whereas the USA, in theory not that popular on the world stage and with just the MLS active has over 200.

I've read rumours that the MLS reserve league will merge with USL Pro so that could be interesting.

Just so you know, there are loads of NCAA teams that do not populate with players. The only conferences with populated players are the Mid America, Atlantic Coast, Ivy League, Atlantic 10, Big East Red, Big East Blue, CAA and Big Ten. I assume this is because you renamed the ADL leagues into those NCAA competitions I listed.

Also stage 4 of the Walt Disney competition has the wrong number of teams, it uses 2 but gets 3.

Just so you know, there are loads of NCAA teams that do not populate with players. The only conferences with populated players are the Mid America, Atlantic Coast, Ivy League, Atlantic 10, Big East Red, Big East Blue, CAA and Big Ten. I assume this is because you renamed the ADL leagues into those NCAA competitions I listed.

Yeah I'm aware of this it is for the reason you stated, I don't know if there is anyway of solving this issue.

Also stage 4 of the Walt Disney competition has the wrong number of teams, it uses 2 but gets 3.

Thanks, I guess I accidentally changed it when changing stage number. It'll be fixed for next release.

Has anybody tried out the NCAA yet? Seems like this would be a hard league to replicate. I imagine it is amateur, but really "transfers" in and out are a bit unrealistic. Seems like it would be hard to simulate recruiting.

I agree the transfers is unrealistic but then the game was never made to create college teams, only regular clubs. I have tested as far as 2020 and all NCAA teams were still amateur at least, in previous FM versions they soon changed to semi-pro etc. Obviously there are many features of NCAA which are impossible to recreate with the editor such clock counting down or players playing in PDL too.

Archived