Training up mental attributes

Hi all,

I am mostly a lurker on these forums but sometimes post mostly on the team threads etc... I am a bit intimidated to post on the tactics board but here it goes!

I have recently been looking at training and I am struggling a little bit on the training side of things as it is relatively new and is completely different to past FM's. Anyway I am about 6 years or so into the game and I have noticed that many young players which I have developed are not really getting great mental attributes. Usually throughout the season I focus on attacking training (varying match day prep for different games) and fitness for pre season. Would changing this from attacking to tactics benefit the mental development or is that just for tactic familiarity?

Another question which I have is that if I set a player to train an individual stat or role more (heavy), would he then train the overall team training less or is it just given as "extra" training?

Sorry if its unclear I am not the best writer!

I'll be looking forward to any input!

Thanks

This was posted by Riz who does designed the training module;

Another quick post to note a thing about the workloads and percentages:

In FM12 the individual training time was taken out of the general team training time, but in FM13 we've changed the individual training so that it increases the overall workload for the specific player but it doesn't eat away at the general training time. This was one of the reasons why you don't get the old percentage split panel and only get the individual training percentages on the player training panel. All players will train the same amount of time in the team general training and the time split between general training and match preparation can be controlled via the slider in the top middle of the training screen.

As for mental attributes, do you give players individual roles to learn? Or work on individual attributes? Or have you not bothered yet?

The reason I ask is because that's how you'd raise most of the mentals that are trainable. Plus they should improve as a player ages too.

You should read this thread as it explains the basics of training so might make you more familiar with how it works now;

FM13 - The Basic Guide to Training and Match Preparation

And if its not to daunting for you a thread I'm currently doing might give you some ideas of how to develop players and can be found here;

Ajax Youth Development – When The Real World Meets Football Manager

That's aimed at player development so you should find some tips or ideas on how you could train your players maybe.

And finally, don't be intimidated to post here, we are a helpful bunch really :D

I develop mostly the mental attributes by giving a tutor to the youth players, when is possible. Sometimes I don't have good enough players to do that, but when possible that's my approach :).

I also prefer to train roles instead of individual attributes. I evaluate each player and select the best role that I think will fit better.

I develop mostly the mental attributes by giving a tutor to the youth players, when is possible. Sometimes I don't have good enough players to do that, but when possible that's my approach :).

The only mental attribute directly influenced by tutoring is determination. The rest are all hidden attibutes that tutoring alters. So tutoring doesn't alter mental attibutes or train them up :)

This was posted by Riz who does designed the training module;

As for mental attributes, do you give players individual roles to learn? Or work on individual attributes? Or have you not bothered yet?

The reason I ask is because that's how you'd raise most of the mentals that are trainable. Plus they should improve as a player ages too.

You should read this thread as it explains the basics of training so might make you more familiar with how it works now;

FM13 - The Basic Guide to Training and Match Preparation

And if its not to daunting for you a thread I'm currently doing might give you some ideas of how to develop players and can be found here;

Ajax Youth Development – When The Real World Meets Football Manager

That's aimed at player development so you should find some tips or ideas on how you could train your players maybe.

And finally, don't be intimidated to post here, we are a helpful bunch really :D

Mostly I give them individual roles up until they are around 18-19 (unless there are any glaring weaknesses in stats) and then train them up one attribute at a time.... What I am sort of getting at is if stuff like creativity can be trained up or will it just develop as the player ages. I will take a look at the basic guide to training a bit later as its probably sleep time for me now but I read the Ajax thread and it was pretty cool :)

Thanks for the help

Disciplining players for poor performance can often increase their Determination and/or Work Rate. There may well be some hidden attributes that it affects too, but I don't use any editors so I can't confirm it.

I always look at the ratings of reserve and U18 matches and any poor performers get punished. I had one young player increase determination by 4 points in two months without any tutoring as a result of being repeatedly hit in the wallet. He doesn't underperform as often these days.

The only mental attribute directly influenced by tutoring is determination. The rest are all hidden attibutes that tutoring alters. So tutoring doesn't alter mental attibutes or train them up :)

When put a young player with worst mental attributes being tutored by a player with better mental attributes, I realize that the mental attributes of that player develop faster. If the tutor have a lower mental attribute than the young player, that attribute will decrease.

When put a young player with worst mental attributes being tutored by a player with better mental attributes, I realize that the mental attributes of that player develop faster. If the tutor have a lower mental attribute than the young player, that attribute will decrease.

Nope that's not how it works :)

Like I said above it only impacts his determination attribute :)

Nope that's not how it works :)

Like I said above it only impacts his determination attribute :)

Maybe, for example at Benfica I put Pablo Aimar tutoring André Almeida. Aimar is player with very good mental attributes and André Almeida mental attributes increase about 2 points.

Maybe, for example at Benfica I put Pablo Aimar tutoring André Almeida. Aimar is player with very good mental attributes and André Almeida mental attributes increase about 2 points.

Seriosuly mate, they do not alter visible mental attributes apart from determination. They really don't.

Archived