Promotion hangover

Hi, I'm in my fifth season on FMC and have suddenly run into a brick wall with my Stockport team. I got them promoted to League 2 first time, then had to change my formation from 4-1-2-2-1 to a more conventional 4-4-2 with a BWM and AP in central midfield and DLF and AF up front. This worked very well and I got promoted to League 1 which to my surprise, I won quite comfortably. We carried good momentum from our promotion season and just kept on winning, even though I didn't think my players would be good enough.

It all changed when I hit the Championship though and now I can't buy a win. I'm not getting battered, but I'm playing okay and losing by the odd goal every game, even against teams who are struggling like me. I'm basically struggling to score while conceding one or two soft goals every game. I reinforced the team with half a dozen quality players in the off-season, but the problem is that I've now spent up to my budget so I won't be able to bring in the players I'd need to change formation. It's very frustrating, as it seems very unlikely that a team that wins League 1 by 10 points would be completely unable to compete in the division above. It may well be that we'd struggle after Christmas, but we should start out quite brightly.

I play with a balanced style and counter strategy for home games, defensive away. I had left all my other options and sliders as default, although I've started experimenting now, to no benefit. What should I do? Change to a more direct game? Play off side? I'd rather not leave this team, but I don't want to get them relegated and promoted only for this to happen again.

Archived