MASSIVE Contracts!

I've found that players are willing to take a significantly lower wage if you include a minimum fee release clause. It doesn't even have to be that low - I managed to haggle my 27yo first-team centre-back down to £35k from £52k simply by adding nothing more than a £20m minimum fee release clause. He's only worth about £8m, and if someone came in and offered me £20m for him, I sure as hell wouldn't need a release clause to make me accept it!

Only problem i had with that was when i signed decent regens around 21 who wanted 80-100k I'd offer half that with £40m release clause. But when it came to re newing the contract they wouldn't take it out of their contract. So when they was devastatingly good at 25-27 rival clubs would bid for £40m and they'd go even though i would offer a ludicrous wage for them to stay. And you may think £40m is a lot of money, but given the FM transfer values, to find a replacement as good as that is impossible. In end i have to spend £20m on a regen kid around 18 who has high potential and take gamble of playing them straight away :(

i head similar problems in BPL, ridicoulous demands... but when i made my move to AC Milan, demands changed... players asked for around half of that i know they would if i would bid for them with my 3times CL and BPL champions Arsenal (realism - yeah right)... so lot of depends on the league, and club status... plus lets remember that inflation is everpresent, was it 20 years ago that Shearer was record transfer with 15mln? and i think 4 years ago to earn 100k a week was an absurd... of course i may be wrong :p

They don't know exactly, but they'll have a good idea of the financial status of the club.
That's false, they do know exactly the wage budget and don't care about the financial status attribute. You can test it adjusting your budgets or better with FMRTE.

• 2 weeks later...

Has that been confirmed i.e. they know your wage budget? So if i'm negotiating with a player with a wage budget of 100k and another team negotiates with a wage budget of 10k - he may accept 3k with the other team, but not budge from 30k for my team. Seems a nonsense way of dealing with contract negotiations.

yep, same here. They never seem to ask for totally unreasonable wages (unless you're mega skint and are already over your wage budget and can't afford to offer any kind of pay rise whatsoever). I've noticed that a lot of the demands seem a tad speculative; I always bump my first offer down a bit and it's surprising how often they are happy to take that (unless they have a prat of an agent). Young players with huge potential are the worst; I had one 14 year old regen wanting a pre-contract agreement of 9k p/w and a host of bonuses - this is before he'd kicked a ball for the youth side. Obviously I can afford it but should I really pay someone so young and unproven that much? Especially as he'll clearly want about five times that once he's 18 and starting to develop a bit.

I don't think that's it, as my top earner is at £26k a week and most senior players between £15k - £20k. We're talking 4-star rated experienced players in a lower Premiership team on the lowest wage bill in the league by far. No fresh, untrained youth should be asking for £14k.

As for how much I sign the youths for, some are direct to contract talks as they're only on £55 youth contracts, others being bought for £10k from Scandinavian teams. I'd previously signed two 16 year olds for over a million each with an eye for the future and as both were raw and untrained they came for pretty much no wages, so transfer fee wasn't a factor there as it hasn't been in previous years.

If a young player already has ability I don't mind paying more, that's to be expected - I bought a 17 year old who already played in the Championship the year before and would rotate straight into my first team at 2 star current rating and was happy to pay him £9k a week, no objection there as he's already playing first team football and as a youngster is still asking for less than more senior players.

The issue is with the completely raw 15/16 year olds who sure, might have 4 star potential 6-7 years down the line but currently sit on silver star ability, nowhere near the first team if I was in a lower league never mind the premiership, yet they demand ridiculously high wages and refuse to talk with a squad status of anything less than 'Rotation'.

I have seen this a few times in this and earlier version of the game. It happens when you try and sign a highly rated youngster from one of the top clubs in the world and to be honest their demands are perfectly reasonable.

Why leave a great team with great staff, players and facilities to play for a smaller club? Unless you give them a hefty wage rise and a starting place they would have no reason too. It's not a case of the player thinking to highly of himself, but rather that the player is not really keen on moving.

This area of the game needs improvement, but it's hard to balance.

On one hand you don't want it to be very easy to hoard quality players. But it also doesn't make any sense when settled players join other clubs for half of the amount you were negotiating on. I hate negotiating for decent players out of contract. Their demands are usually ludicrous.

I have found once you have a decent bank balance and grow your reputation, your costs rise pretty rapidly.

I tend to just sell them when they give me OTT demands now, I love getting in good young players so always have a youth factory going on, so selling is not so much of an issue, agree they are getting a bit silly though.

I saw on my save Gotze was at city, he renewed his deal, '5 year deal on £300k a week, deal worth £84m! that's insane, they have SO many players on crazy money in my current 2019 save.

Yeah, this is happening to me... every time the contracts expire, I have to renew only the absolute absolute key players, and release everyone else because of huge demands......

What happens to these players ? Of course, no team makes any offers, so mostly just retire at 28,29 as free agents... Sad... :(

The frustration just gets worse when the time comes for those players to sign contracts with the AI.

Managing Crystal Palace I got a 19 year old australian mifielder who was able to play as a starter ever since his first year. I had him at 7.500 p/w and the time comes to renew his contract.

I offer him a new contract and he starts asking for 12.500 p/w minimum. I tell him that I'll offer him 8.000 p/w, but I'll increase his bonuses by a lot. ALL of them, including goal, appearance, loyalty, "after 20 goals", etc. He instantly refuses and the negotiations stop.

With only 1 year left on his contract I am forced to transfer list him and I manage to get Huddersfield to make a 5M offer. The deal goes through and lo and behold, he agrees to a 7.500 p/w contract with low bonuses. The only difference is that their contract included 15% increase per year, which is still nothing compared to the 7K goal, 2.5K appearance and 100K loyalty bonuses I was offering.

And that with Huddersfield being much more reputable than my crystal palace side...

I lost players in transfers that way, offering him more than the other club, which had a lower rep than mine ( Rangers > Nocerina).

Yes if he wants 15000 from the AI club and they offer him 13500 and he accepts, that is a much better deal than if he wants 50 000 from you and you offer him 40000 and he accepts.

Untitled_zps36ea71b6.jpg

Welp...that escalated quickly...the guy did 20 appearances in the swedish premier and he suddenly asks for 10K p/w, with an increase to 40K after one international appearance. And that's with him being 19 years old...

Untitled_zps36ea71b6.jpg

Welp...that escalated quickly...the guy did 20 appearances in the swedish premier and he suddenly asks for 10K p/w, with an increase to 40K after one international appearance. And that's with him being 19 years old...

Is it he who demanded 3.8m in release clause as well? If it was it means he believes he is already too good for your club...

And that is quite frankly ridiculous.

Actually, things got even funnier, since he refused to sign the contract and now his agent asks for this:

Untitled_zpsa30ff72b.jpg

For those who can't see clearly:

Hot prospect and he wants:

38.500 p/w for 3 years

145K loyalty

1.9M agent fee (first lol)

28K appearance fee

28K goal fee

10% yearly rise

21.5K fee clause (second lol, wtf?)

1.1M relegation release clause

56.000 p/w after one international appearance

This guy has made 9 appearances for Elfsborg in the first division elite and 15 in the premier division. None in my own club or any high rep club. I checked him up and his reputation are:

home: 5240

current: 3400

world: 3137

And his status is "doesn't want to leave the club" after being told to shove this demands where his agent finds most suitable.

Seriously, this is nuts. When are we going to get the option to be able to tell players that it's their agents who need to get the boot in order for them to get a proper contract?

That is a bit crazy.. can I just ask what is your wage budget and spending? If you have a huge budget your not using agents will try their best to get their hands on it.

Edit: btw, I just saw that you locked his squad status.. I guess that's why he's asking for that kinda wage. And I don't really find the inital 10k salary to be very high for a premier league rotation player/prospect. If you compare to real life it's actually lower than normal.

That is a bit crazy.. can I just ask what is your wage budget and spending? If you have a huge budget your not using agents will try their best to get their hands on it.

Edit: btw, I just saw that you locked his squad status.. I guess that's why he's asking for that kinda wage. And I don't really find the inital 10k salary to be very high for a premier league rotation player/prospect. If you compare to real life it's actually lower than normal.

My wage budget currently stands at 450K p/w, nothing too high. I'm 2 seasons into the premier after promoting a broken crystal palace side that was ready to drop to league 2 level.

My main striker is paid 21K p/w and he is a legend on the club, key player for years now and he didn't ask for more than that. Even a veteran from Arsenal settled for 35.5K p/w, so a youngster who has played no games for me asking for 38K is a bit bizzare.

Oh yeah, and keep in mind that he hasn't even earned his work permits yet...

He was asking for 10k for the role he wanted, which is fair. He is asking for £38k because you have given him a role he is not keen on.

The 40k after international cap is silly since he is from Qatar, but surly you can circumvent it by slightly increasing the fees and bonuses.

He was asking for 10k for the role he wanted, which is fair. He is asking for £38k because you have given him a role he is not keen on.

The 40k after international cap is silly since he is from Qatar, but surly you can circumvent it by slightly increasing the fees and bonuses.

That would make sense, but Hot prospect is below in priority than Rotation, so it's nuts nevertheless. By the way, his current contract is "hot prospect" as well, what "role he isn't keen on" are you talking about? He is 19 years old, with no work permits and 20 games played in Elfsborg and he is asking his wages to be multiplied by 40. Or at least his agent does, because the player doesn't want to leave the club according to his status.

There's no way or logic that he should be asking for that wage alone, both his 10K and his 38K demands. Man Utd and Chelsea pay their hot prospects 7-15K p/w and they are way better,both in skill and in reputation, there is absolutely no logic behind a hot prospect of Crystal Palace asking for 10-38K p/w. Even his 10K demand is way out of line, since he is still practically a nobody.

Seriously, this is nuts. When are we going to get the option to be able to tell players that it's their agents who need to get the boot in order for them to get a proper contract?

100% agree. I have just seen a 4.5* PA wing back leave on a free because his agent made obscene demands for his services. He played regularly and was already on a decent wedge. I was prepared to pay to keep him, but am not even offered the chance by ludicrous demands. Maybe understandable if you're a small side, I'm a very successful Barcelona....

That would make sense, but Hot prospect is below in priority than Rotation, so it's nuts nevertheless. By the way, his current contract is "hot prospect" as well, what "role he isn't keen on" are you talking about? He is 19 years old, with no work permits and 20 games played in Elfsborg and he is asking his wages to be multiplied by 40. Or at least his agent does, because the player doesn't want to leave the club according to his status.

There's no way or logic that he should be asking for that wage alone, both his 10K and his 38K demands. Man Utd and Chelsea pay their hot prospects 7-15K p/w and they are way better,both in skill and in reputation, there is absolutely no logic behind a hot prospect of Crystal Palace asking for 10-38K p/w. Even his 10K demand is way out of line, since he is still practically a nobody.

I get where you are coming from, mate. It is frustrating that you can't talk reason with the player. I don't think you are getting my point though.. He wants a rotation status for 10k a week. That is what he thinks he deserves. When you offer him a lower status at the club his demands go way up because he is not interested in that at all, unless you pay silly money.

I get where you are coming from, mate. It is frustrating that you can't talk reason with the player. I don't think you are getting my point though.. He wants a rotation status for 10k a week. That is what he thinks he deserves. When you offer him a lower status at the club his demands go way up because he is not interested in that at all, unless you pay silly money.

Well ye, that could explain the absurd demands the second time, but the initial demands are out of place to begin with.

I hope they tweak this in future versions. Right now the AI seems to have some kind of advantage there. I don't want to abuse the clauses either and I'm offering reasonable bonuses (if not generous actually).

The even more frustrating thing is that if you offer bonuses and they don't like the wage, they keep them in their demands and consider it as "we had a better offer already,so let's start from there again", so now they end up asking for huge wages, while keeping the bonuses that you offered just so that they accept lower wages.

Archived