Welcome to the Dragon's Den - the Chairmen's battle to the top of Scottish Football

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update - 1 Apr 2008

Division 3

The Warlock deservedly secured the manager of the month award for some brilliant form from his side. If he'd got them playing like this sooner, they'd be pushing for promotion.

Team stats - Of the promotion candidates, Forfar and Stenhousemuir are now mired in terrible form at exactly the wrong time. Arbroath and Montrose though, look decent bets right now.

League table - It leaves the table looking like this. With 4 games to go, Montrose have put daylight between themselves and the rest, and must drop at least 4 points to be caught.

Player stats - Despite his side's poor form, Stuart Kelly of Forfar is maybe making a late bid for player of the year...

In other news, Celtic took the League Cup 2-1 v Hibs, and also eliminated Rangers at the Quarter Final stage of the Scottish Cup, making them favourites for that too. They also lead the premier league, and look on course for a treble.

Update - 20 Apr 2008

Division 3

April 19 Results - In the penultimate round of fixtures, some sensational stuff. Based on form, Stenhousemuir's 3-0 spanking of leaders Montrose is a massive upset. Are Montrose about to choke? Arbroath also beat basement side Dumbarton, but Forfar could only draw.

League table - It really is tight at the top. Depending on other results, Arbroath could finish top, or finish 3rd. With last day fixtures as they are though, each of the top three would be expected to win, with positions remaining as they are.

I expected to struggle this season but bottom! We need a complete overhaul in the summer. The only positive is that we should be in a better financial position. But i am not even sure about that as the attendances have been lower than i thought.

Update - 27 Apr 2008

Division 3

April 26 Results - As expected, each of the top three secured wins. Forfar could only draw, but hang on to the last play off spot.

Final league table - Congratulations go to Montrose, the 3rd Division champions! Dumbarton finish well of the pace in bottom position.

In the Second Division Peterhead will play 3rd Division football next season, and should not trouble our teams too much. Queens Park face the lottery of the play-offs, where they must travel to Stenhousemuir for the first leg. Arbroath host Forfar in the first leg of the other tie.

Play off semi finals

Division 3 promotion play off semi-finals, first leg

Stenhousemuir v Queens Park A comfortable victory for my own side, Stenhousemuir, which should elimate Queens Park and ensure we have two clubs promoted this season.

Arbroath v Forfar Arbroath eased past Forfar, who have been out of sorts, with an easy win, and look good it make it to the final.

Division 3 promotion play off semi-finals, second leg

Queens Park v Stenhousemuir Sensational stuff. A last minute Jon Newby goal broke Stenhousemuir hearts, forcing extra time. But the Spiders legs couldn't hold out, and the dependable Smith and Bailey secured a draw on the day and safe passage to the final.

Forfar v Arbroath Forfar had the best of it, but couldn't score and Arbroath make it through.

So the final will be between Arbroath and Stenhousemuir. For the first leg, Arbroath are made 1-2 odds on favourites by the bookies. Based on past results, they will be favourites for promotion too.

Play off final

Division 3 promotion play off final, first leg

Arbroath v Stenhousemuir

In the 23rd minute, on-loan 17 year old centre forward Shane Sutherland gave Arbroath a deserved lead.

With 61 minutes gone, Sutherland was on hand to double it.

In the 73rd, young left winger Chris Chambers added to the agony for Stenhousemuir by making it 3.

And that's how it finished, a comfortable win virtually ending the tie at the half way stage.

Division 3 promotion play off final, second leg

After just 17 minute, Willie McLaren put Stenny in front, giving the club record capacity crowd of 14,488 hope.

In the 27th, the fans went crazy when the prolific Smith pulled another one back. 2-0 at half time, 2-3 on aggregate

In the second half though, Stenhousemuir just couldn't find a way through. After 65 minutes, Chris Templeman hit what was their only shot on target of the day, reducing it to 2-1 and effectively ending the contest.

So despite the best efforts of Stenhousemuir, it is Arbroath who celebrate promotion despite a 2-1 defeat. Congratulation to ~Ian~ on his success.

Full end of season report to come.

End of Season 2007/8

Update on each of the clubs.

Albion Rovers (NepentheZ/Paul "Warlock" Wallace)

Results

League progress - a poor season that the Warlock will want to forget.

Squad ratings

Squad contracts - made lots of signings, which we all predicted would be key, but evidently the quality isn't quite there.

Arbroath (~Ian~/Matt Skiba)

Results

League progress - a brilliant season which really picked up at just the right time, their momentum carrying the team to promotion.

Squad ratings

Squad contracts

Mark McAllister - picked up from East Stirling for a whopping £210k after the end of the season. Had a decent season for the Shire before moving on.

Berwick (glennuk/Josh Crane)

Results

League progress - an awful end to the season, dragging them right down after a decent start

Squad ratings

Squad contracts - again, relying too much on youngsters. Crane needs to get the chequebook out, big style.

Dumbarton (Robbo3d/Alex Smith - Nikon Jevtik - sacked)

Results

League progress - Hmmm, not much you can say. Pretty firmly the worst team in the league.

Squad ratings

Squad contracts - the heavy debt burden appears to be retricting their spending on wages.

Alex Smith - this is the new manager, the veteran formerly in charge of Aberdeen. Struggled to turn it around with the financial constraints in place, despite signings a number of players.

East Stirling (rlipscombe/Archie McFergus)

Results

League progress - constantly mid-table after a great start

Squad ratings - sold one of their better players, McAllister, to Arbroath who therefore isn't here. Will do this screen before the transfer window opens in future.

Squad contracts

Elgin (Arkitekt88/Carl Vasquez)

Results

League progress - picked up steadily and then clearly peaked a bit too soon.

Squad ratings

Squad contracts - not exactly splashing out, and probably need a lot of good signings to challenge.

Forfar (paulhartman71/James Hartson-Harris)

Results

League progress - never likely to win it, but comfortably made it into the play offs.

Squad ratings

Squad contracts - they're paying top dollar and have some really excellent players. With some more good signings, likely to be contenders again next season.

Montrose (5ergio/Mengana)

Results

League progress - a great season, finished very strongly

Squad ratings

Squad contracts - spending plenty and wisely, most of the top earners getting good ratings. How will they cope with the step up though?

Stenhousemuir (bermybhoy/Keld Bordinggaard - Henke - sacked)

Results

League progress - led most of the way, then suffered a late season collapse :(

Squad ratings

Squad contracts - not spending nearly as much as some clubs, I'm hoping this will increase significantly next season.

Keld Bordinggaard - Henke was rather harshly sacked after losing the play off final. (I believe this is related to a bug in the confidence feature). The new guy looks as good, if not better.

Stranraer (Walcott's Wonderkids/Brucie Bonus)

Results

League progress - their final position of 7th was actually the high point, a poor season for manager Bonus.

Squad ratings

Squad contracts - clearly, they are placing a lot of reliance on youngsters. Need to go out and spend the chairman's cash to get anywhere.

Division 3

The league table has been posted already, so some other stats of possible interest:

Player of the month awards

Player of the year - Stenhousemuir win something, the impressive Calum Smith taking the award.

Team of the year - Hard to argue with the selection, drawn mainly from just 3 clubs.

Manager of the month awards

Manager of the year - No shocks, Mengana deserved it.

Average attendances - How does this stack up against your plans? Dumbarton top here but the stadium only half-full, their poor season not helping one bit.

Seasonal records

Scotland season summary 1

Scotland season summary 2 - point of interest - Steven Fletcher won the European Golden Boot with his scoring exploits as Hibs.

An interesting first season then. My feeling is that the two promoted sides have a massive advantage now, and their spending power means they could do quite well again next season. Of those left in the 3rd division, I expect another two of our sides to go up again next year, with the relegated sides struggling badly against our cash.

If anyone would like to see anything else, do let me know.

Talking point

I've already run this to the end of the next transfer window, but need to do the write ups. Having had a poke about, there's been some interesting development. Some teams are spending BIG to get out of their respective divisions....it's much changed from the current year. At the same time, a few chairmen and managers are doing nothing to dispell the unfair stereotype of Scottish people as being tight... Some people will be very pleased, some will be puzzled at why the cash isn't being spent as it is elsewhere. So, predictions then...

• How much do you reckon your team has spent on a player?
  • What do you reckon your top earner is now on?
  • Who do you reckon is the team to watch next season?

By the way, as a friendly heads up to anyone who's not posted yet, I'll start to keep a note as to who's contributing and who isn't....this is pretty time consuming so reports will end up getting cut out if you're not active and I don't think you're interested....just forewarning, cheers.

KUTGW. What an awful season that was. I really dont know what to expect. Is there any chance I could see my finances. Just wondering whether I managed a profit last season. That will shape Dumbartons future. If they make money, we might be able to turn it around in the long run. But with lower attendances than expected, I dont think we are making enough.

The debt looks to be causing problems with the wages, hopefully we will have a bigger budget next season or we could end up off the pace again.

robbo3d:

Took a nosey there by adding a manager. Basically, yes you are making money - raked in about £4m (!), nearly all from tickets and match day income, and had expenses of £2.9m. You have about £1.2m in the bank. The repayments and interest is £160k/month. In spite of the profits, the board is only allowing £300 a week for any player, which is a big disadvantage. If the attendances drop you might be in some trouble, which is presumably part of the board's thinking in restricting wages so much.....

Well we are only getting in 11000 on average as it is so I cant see it falling too much more. Its good to see I'm making money. Its looking a bit better for the future. £300 a week isnt going to get me much quality though. Hopefully with a decent manager in charge, he can find some players willing to accept our wage structure. I am not particularly hopeful though!

Stranraer - the dirtiest club in Scottish Division 3 \o/ \o/ - I feel honoured! :D

Also had the highest scoring game of the season. I think as long as we can invest a bit in players to back up the next set of youngsters coming through then we should do ok. Very important that we keep striker Robert Dunn though, as he seems to have scored all our goals this season!

great update once more. good to see us get a player in the team of the year. As long as we keep Williams, and sign a few decent players i am hopeful of an improved showing. i reckon we;ll have signed a few more players. as for the team to watch, that will be East Stirlingshire of course!!

Mengana manager of the year as expected. No player stood up to be the leading one in the division but a great team performance from Montrose. :thup: As for the next season, I assume we and Arboath will be spending a lot to occupy a firm place in Second Division. I also predict Stenhousemuir, Albion Rovers, East Stirling and Forfar to finish in top four next year.

Most games without losing: 13 - Arbroath (6.2.2008 to 26.4.2008)

The key to the promotion right there. Came good at the right time.

Think we'll need to spend a bit now to secure staying in Division 2, a couple of players bought for 6 figure sums would be nice.

How much do you reckon your team has spent on a player? 275k (I hope on another striker)

What do you reckon your top earner is now on? 5k Per week (On the striker)

Who do you reckon is the team to watch next season? The Mighty Berwick obviously.

Having the most games without scoring the most games lost in a row and having the two worst signings IS NOT good enough and i wll expect Josh Crane to have learnt from this experience and not pannick buy. I think some good quality will be in soon and if Churchill gets a good partner i can see us being a force to be reckoned with.

2008/9 - September 1 - Part 1

Onto the second season for the Dragon funded clubs. All are looking to strengthen significantly to make some real progress. How have they all got on during the transfer window?

3rd Division

Albion Rovers (NepentheZ/Paul "Warlock" Wallace)

The Warlock saw his side finish fairly strongly last term despite a poor final position. They have signed a lot of players already, but really need to add quality. Unfortunately their biggest signing is Owen Price, a right winger/striker at just £65k from Stenhousemuir, in addition to a whole load more free transfers. Having said that, they are paying more than generous wages for this level of football. But having started with £10m in the bank, why are they so reluctant to spend?

Club info

Transfers

Squad ratings

Squad contracts

Owen Price

Jamie Reed - Top performer so far.

Berwick (glennuk/Josh Crane)

Here we go! After pretty modest spending last season, there's no messing about from Crane this time. Not only are they top spenders, with an outlay of an astonishing £2.4m, but they have completed the first £1m signing for a Scottish Div 3 team, the man in question being young Lee Collins from Wolves.

Club info

Transfers

Squad ratings

Squad contracts

Lee Collins - the million dollar man - is he worth it? At 19, should be one for the future, but his value is likely to plummet in a league of this standard...interesting to see how it works out.

Leon Cort - another £725k on a centre back. This guy has experience, and you'd think, should stroll through this level.

Scott Robertson - for comparison, here's a couple of lower cost - and I would say, much better value - signings. This guy should be excellent in the centre.

Louise Dodds - can play on the right or up front, and looks pretty handy.

Dumbarton (Robbo3d/Alex Smith [Nikon Jevtik - sacked])

New gaffer Smith has brought in a few players, even spending a little bit of cash at the heavily indebted club. However, their spending power on wages is severaly restricted. Anything other than last place is likely to be a big bonus this season.

Club info

Transfers

Squad ratings

Squad contracts

Stephen Manson - fair player, but looking around the other sides, would struggle to get a game with many of them.

Richard Bowers - the young striker is performing head and shoulders above his team mates so far.

How much do you reckon your team has spent on a player? 275k (I hope on another striker)

What do you reckon your top earner is now on? 5k Per week (On the striker)

Who do you reckon is the team to watch next season? The Mighty Berwick obviously.

Having the most games without scoring the most games lost in a row and having the two worst signings IS NOT good enough and i wll expect Josh Crane to have learnt from this experience and not pannick buy. I think some good quality will be in soon and if Churchill gets a good partner i can see us being a force to be reckoned with.

No panic buying? Oh dear :D

2008/9 - September 1 - Part 2

East Stirling (rlipscombe/Archie McFergus)

The Shire have been tipped by some for a decent season, and that is already looking a good call. McFergus hasn't splahed out much on transfers, but brought in quite few players to strengthen the team. The sale at huge profit of Mark McAllister is looking like good business; he hasn't scored for Arbroath yet and Alex Williams is banging home plenty.

Club info

Transfers

Squad ratings

Squad contracts

David Sinclair

Alex Williams - Blistering start to his second season at the club, notching a goal a game so far.

Elgin (Arkitekt88/Carl Vasquez)

Vasquez has made quite a number of signings, but failed to spend a single penny. The wage bill has rocketed, and they've brought in a number of experienced internationals, such as Neil McCann and a few Carribean islanders - it remains to be seen how they'll adjust to the climate in the north of Scotland though. On the evidence so far, not especially well.

Club info

Transfers

Squad ratings

Squad contracts

Richard Langley - the midfielder should do well once he settles in.

Hector Sam - the veteran striker has been there and seen it all - struggling to find the net so far though.

Forfar (paulhartman71/James Hartson-Harris)

After making the play offs last time, hopes are high in Forfar. Hartson-Harris didn't see fit to sign too many players, but has not been afraid to shell out on wages. They must now have one of the highest wage bills in the division, paying players up to just short of £7k/week - a huge hike from last season.

Club info

Transfers

Squad ratings

Squad contracts

Matt Harrold - biggest signing, and seems to be forming a decen partnership with Madine.

Gary Madine - picked up from Tranmere, has made a great start to the season and looks an excellent prospect.

2008/9 - September 1 - Part 3

Stenhousemuir (bermybhoy/Keld Bordingaard [Henke - sacked])

New man Bordingaard has utilised his first transfer window to conduct a mini squad overhaul. Stenny's board seems less willing to splash out on player's wages than their rivals, and given that, we'll do well to keep up the form we showed for much of last season, this time round.

Club info

Transfers

Squad ratings

Squad contracts

Jordan Mutch - our second biggest fee of the summer, he looks a good investment.

Bobby Linn - with Calum Smith currently injured, its been left down to Linn to find the net, who has a goal a game record so far.

Stranraer (Walcott's Wonderkids/Brucie Bonus)

Bonus has led Stranraer to a respectable start to the season, in spite of minimal outlay on transfer fees. Jimmy Gibson is the biggest at just £8k. Like so many other clubs though, he's not afraid to lavish big contracts on his players.

Club info

Transfers

Squad ratings

Squad contracts

Jimmy Gibson

Matthew Bailey - a new signing from Crewe who looks like he could be a mainstay at the back for a while to come.

Division 3 - overview

Division 3 league table - East Stirling start well and lead the pack, but it's very tight and tough to predict.

Division 3 team stats - Notably, quite a few teams have seen their attendances plummet. Those at the top are bearing up better though.

Division 3 player stats

2008/9 - September 1 - Part 4

Second Division

Arbroath (~Ian~/Matt Skiba)

Despite promotion success last season, the club has not invested nearly as heavily as some 3rd division teams. Despite that and record signing McAllister mis-firing so far, they have performed brilliantly and top the league. Media prediction: 3rd

Club info

Transfers

Squad ratings

Squad contracts

David McGowan - second biggest signing after McAllister.

Gary MacKenzie - the young centre back is the most most solid players so far.

Montrose (5ergio/Mengana)

After storming to promotion last season, Mengana has not been shy about spending the chairman's cash, splashing out just under £800k. By the looks of things, spending it very wisely too. Sitting second already, this lot probably have the ability to romp away with this division as well. Media prediction: 5th

Club info

Transfers

Squad ratings

Squad contracts

Scott Muirhead - the full back/winger is the record signing at £250k and looks a decent investment.

Juho Makela - brought in from Hearts, he's probably good enough for most Premier League sides. Should do well.

Rory McAllister - again from a Premier League team, Inverness, and the youngster looks class. He and Makela should make a formidable partnership.

Division 2 - overview

Division 2 league table - Maybe unsurprisingly, both our teams sit atop the division already. To me, Montrose look best equipped to keep it up, although Hamilton also look excellent and have started in free scoring fashion

Division 2 team stats

Division 2 player stats

2008/9 - September 1 - Part 5

Cups

Challenge Cup

1st round results - Stranraer, East Stirling and Monrose are the only ones to make it through.

League Cup

1st round results - Montrose, Berwick and Forfar all do well, but Albion Rovers are humiliated.

2nd round results - all 3 face Premier league opposition, and 3 crash out. Berwick though come mighty close to a giant killing at Falkirk.

General

Rich list - Some movement here, in part due to massive spending by some clubs to reduce their bank balances.

Manager job security - no-one looking too shaky....yet.

say we are top of the league, say we are top of the league!! :D;)

some well known veterans joining the 'shire.... trevor sincliar and Paul dickov among them. got good money for Mcallister, although i'd have liked McFergus to maybe have spent a little more of it... still, he knows what he is doing.....

made it past the first round of a cup competition too!! \o/

Concede only 2 in 5 games, not even lost one game. Montrose & Mengana is continuing to do well on their 2nd season. 4-0 win over Arboath in Challenge Cup. Maybe we can also beat them for the league huh :D

I think you're in for a good season. Those strikers especially should do really well. Well done on getting the good manager - seems to be making all the difference.

Not looking good. The debt looks a mistake as I didnt anticipate the effect on wages. Hopefully we can improve gradually and try not to finish bottom.

It's surprising just how much it's restricted the wages to be honest - wouldn't have forseen that. I think it might take a few years for it to turn round unfortunately. At least if it does, the set up is all there to do well.

Archived