Year 2020, my game has gone berserk

I did the maths, and in the 2012/13 EPL, the ave goals per game was 2.8, pretty much in line with real life. Slowly but surely though, it's risen and is well over 3 a game. Huge scorelines are no longer even newsworthy since they happen on an almost weekly basis. There was one round of the Champions League group stages where there were three 7-0 scores, including one away from home! In the space of three weeks Chelsea have been thumped 5-0 to Man City, 6-0 to West Ham and then 5-0 to Arsenal.

(Typically though despite being top of the league, my Aston Villa team never gets involved in these huge scorelines, my largest win in two seasons is 5-1, although that was away to Man City).

In the Champions League knockout stages this season, Real Madrid beat Juventus 6-0 in the first leg while Juventus won 5-0 in the second leg! Chelsea actually won the whole thing last season, despite losing all of their first legs by hefty margins, because they simply won the second leg by even bigger margins.

It's madness I tell ya, madness!

(Seriously though, it's starting to ruin my game).

The scores tend to me more random the more you've fiddled about with the editor. Think of it as a sort of butterfly effect.

EDIT - Ah, this is FM Classic, isn't it? Don't think you can use the editor there. Ah well, must be other factors at work then.

Can't say I've noticed any bizzare results. I did beat Everton 8-0 but my teams top and they are in the bottom 2.

However, my strikers all seem to be pulling hamstrings. I've lost 3 strikers to hamstring injuries in the space of a week. That seems somewhat unlikely to me.

It's got to be down to a patch update. Just checking through the previous seasons in my game, the first five seasons look normal, it's only from season six that it gets out of hand. In my 2019/20 season, four teams scored over 90 goals in the PL, to put that into perspective only three teams have ever done that in real life in the 20 years of the Premier League. Half way through the 2020/21 season, it looks like six teams will hit that mark.

Well the Premier League averages around 2.8 goals per game. Granted, you're right, more goals are being scored right now than a few years ago, however there's nothing to suggest that this is nothing more than an 'attacking' era and won't peter out as defensive tactics catch up. I certainly can't see the goal growth continuing and continuing like it is in my game. It's probably some where up near 3.5 gls per game right now.

Archived