Sports Interactive Community
Richard76

Contract "negotiations"

I've used inverted commas around the word negotiations as there doesn't appear to be much going on when trying to renew a players contract at my club.

I'm finding then won't ever budge from their initial wage demands.

Anybody else finding this?

Even if I'm a tiny amount below they won't sign.

There's some great transfer fee negotiations in the game now just a shame these aren't mirrored with contract negotiations.

you can try to offer other incentives, like appearances fees for rotation players and back ups. Offer the agent more?

Offer the agent more?

That is frankly the worst part of the contract "negotiations".

Players are INCREDIBLY unreasonable in the latest update. I'm finding it really really difficult.

I can't stress enough how important I have found offering large bonuses to be. Especially if you're not a top team. For example, say you're managing Reading, maybe Le Fondre wants a new contract on loads more money and maybe for some unknown reason you actually want to keep him. Offer him a massive bonus for finishing as the league's leading scorer. It simply won't happen but footballers are not the brightest people. He will probably drop his basic wage demand when tempted with this impossible to achieve bonus. You can also offer higher appearance fees. again especially if the player is a rotation type player. I have also found some players wage demands are what I consider to be unreasonable, if the player really won't budge then he gets transfer listed or allowed to leave when his contract expires. No player is bigger than the club! You may also see his demands drop as his contract comes closer to expiring.

I can't stress enough how important I have found offering large bonuses to be. Especially if you're not a top team. For example, say you're managing Reading, maybe Le Fondre wants a new contract on loads more money and maybe for some unknown reason you actually want to keep him. Offer him a massive bonus for finishing as the league's leading scorer. It simply won't happen but footballers are not the brightest people. He will probably drop his basic wage demand when tempted with this impossible to achieve bonus. You can also offer higher appearance fees. again especially if the player is a rotation type player. I have also found some players wage demands are what I consider to be unreasonable, if the player really won't budge then he gets transfer listed or allowed to leave when his contract expires. No player is bigger than the club! You may also see his demands drop as his contract comes closer to expiring.

I think this is right, Also using the Reading example, should you be a side like those, or mid table etc you could offer the incentive of the player getting in to the team of the year, something which is unlikely unless they have a special season.

I have also noticed a problem with contract negotiations, I had a problem with Jan Vertonghen, I was a few years in and his contact was up for renewal, he originally wanted £105k pw something which I could afford but did not want to give as then others would want the same, after talks broke down I tried to get him to agree a deal, and now he wanted £120k p/w and talks broke down again. the next time he wanted £130k p/w and rejected my offer of £105k which he originally wanted.

I have a few contracts I need to renew now hence my thread.

Still zero negotiation on wage demands. Upping the bonuses/agents fee makes no difference what so ever.

Players seem to want crazy money.

My backup striker is on £21,000 per week. Won't budge from £110,000 per week to re sign.

Madness.

I've used inverted commas around the word negotiations as there doesn't appear to be much going on when trying to renew a players contract at my club.

I'm finding then won't ever budge from their initial wage demands.

Anybody else finding this?

Even if I'm a tiny amount below they won't sign.

There's some great transfer fee negotiations in the game now just a shame these aren't mirrored with contract negotiations.

The solution is simple, insane minimum release clauses. I've given my signings clauses of 80m to 100m and that way you can given them a significantly lower wage

I'm still disappointed there isn't any introduction of players that love the club or simply love life at the club, just accepting a medium wage offer. Just look at Messi who's apparently turned down that 30m/year deal. There are plenty of players that choose club over just money. It'll be helpful to know my hard work's paid off as I'm far exceeding the season expectations with players choosing to stay at the club, not to mention the possibility of winning some silverware as incentive.

The game treats every player like a football mercenary at the moment. Very disappointing.

The solution is simple, insane minimum release clauses. I've given my signings clauses of 80m to 100m and that way you can given them a significantly lower wage

Thanks.

£80m release clauses seem to do the trick.

I have indeed noticed a refusal to budge on wages and signing fees

I always in the past have tried to get contracts paying mostly through bonuses (equals less paying out between seasons)

But I can triple/quadruple both appearance and goal bonuses, yet they still won't lower their weekly wage, despite being first team regulars

Hmm...I just convinced Torsten Frings to re-sign with Toronto FC (2013) while cutting his salary from $2.4 million/year to $350,000, with no incentives (I never, ever, use incentives.) I generally have luck removing all incentives, lowering the salary demands by two notches and then maximizing the length of the contract; if a player doesn't take that offer, they'll usually respond with a number between the desired and proposed one. If all else fails, I throw money at the agent: I was able to sign Kaka with TFC in FM12 by offering his agent nearly $6 million in fees, because the board wouldn't let me offer the amount of money Kaka was looking for. He was looking for $8 million per year but the board would only let me offer $6.5...but the agent fees were enough to get the deal done.

I was going to start a topic like this.

I have 31 (nearly 32) year old Javier Macherano demanding his 110k a week wages doubled. I want to keep him, and he doesn't seem to want to go, but 4 months from the end of his contract he's budged by ... 5k per week. His agent fiercely dislikes me so I want to ask him privately to lower his demands and / or sack his agent, but I can't seem to talk to him about his contract unless I ask for mutual termination. Not that bothered if I lose him though, and I have just completed 3 3 year extensions for first team players very satisfactorily, so not complaining much. I'm going to let him leave if he won't sign for a reasonable wage (and preferably a 2 year contract as his agent wants massive fees for re-negotiation), so we'll see.

Seems to me they're reasonable if you start talking 2 / 2.5 years before their contract is up. Once you get to 18 months, losing them on a free does become a real possibility, and their sale value goes down as your desperation goes up from that point, so I guess this is realistic.

I have also noticed a problem with contract negotiations, I had a problem with Jan Vertonghen, I was a few years in and his contact was up for renewal, he originally wanted £105k pw something which I could afford but did not want to give as then others would want the same, after talks broke down I tried to get him to agree a deal, and now he wanted £120k p/w and talks broke down again. the next time he wanted £130k p/w and rejected my offer of £105k which he originally wanted.

I hate this as well. I try to negotiate with a player, and by the time I meet his demands, he has moved the goalposts and now wants 20% more than he originally did.

There aren't actually contract negotations in FM. You have an initial demand and a counter-demand to your first counter-offer. After that it is a matter of decreasing wages and sign-on bonuses by offering an equal value using other bonuses and clauses.

This isn't actually a negotiation. A negotiation is when one party that owns a commodity and sets a value for it wants to sell that commodity to another party whose valuation of it is lower. The two parties then make a deal neither is happy with, but they are not unhappy with it either.

As for what FM_Spurs and eplkewell have noticed, a reasonable explanation for such a (relatively rare) change in valuation is that the player's reputation somehow increased while you were negotiating. It happened to me once, and he had got his first international appearance in the meantime. Sometimes, if the negotiations drags on, he will sign a new contract with his current club, which may strengthen the owner club's position in the negotiations as well as increase his base value.

I hate the contract demands when re-newing contracts. Having players request 40K per week more than they are currently on is just frustrating. I find myself selling players rather than re-newing contracts. Can often get just as good players on less wages and can even make a profit on transfer fees

I hate the contract demands when re-newing contracts. Having players request 40K per week more than they are currently on is just frustrating. I find myself selling players rather than re-newing contracts. Can often get just as good players on less wages and can even make a profit on transfer fees

That's what I find myself doing - I just sold Davide Santon for 40 million pounds because he wouldn't sign a contract doubling his wages to 90k per week - he wanted 120k per week, so I just flogged him and bought an Argentinian regen I'd been keeping an eye on. The kid is 40k per week and while his performances are a little shot of Santon's standard I am sure he will pick up as he adapts and learns the language...

I've actually lost count of the number of times I have clicked on offer new contract, then just walked away as soon as I see the initial demands.

When a player is on 50k per week currently, but is suddenly demanding 100k and his agent is saying something like "payment for my services met in full/prefer these talks to be brief..." I don't even begin negotiations.

Transfer listed, I'll find someone else.

I think you should be able to talk to the agents as part of the contract talks, as well as the player.