Match Engine Update 13.2.1 - ME 1325 Constructive feedback here please

There is some excellent intelligent attacking play, but I don't think the defending has caught up with it yet, for me that would be the focus, not far off having an excellent match engine if they get that right.

Yeah some of the forward movement now is really good, but again your spot on, the defensive movement doesnt quite match it. I dont really have a huge issue with the full backs tackling as such, now a days you tend to see wingers ushered down the line anyway, but its when the ball comes into the box, the reaction times of the defender and sometimes the keeper is really what they need to have a look at. That and when a player runs with the ball in between players, so when the focus of the defending switches from the full back to the centre back, i think the reaction time is a bit off when that happens, seems a player gets passed one and for a second no one else is aware they should try and close down.

Again tho, for right now, this is a solid enough update, bar the high number of shots id say most of the ME is now ahead of the one from FM12. It definitely looks more like football than it ever has, just the statistics of it all doesnt aways quite match up to real life.

A few more tweaks and we could have a really good ME here until they have another good mess around with it in the summer.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What team were you playing with? Even with top teams it isn't often that a team should be able to go a whole season unbeaten.

I don't see why you seem so surprised. I'm sure a few people have done the same. It's not like i didn't go through patches of bad form because at one point i was about 4 or 5 games without a win and got knocked out of the league cup at the same time. I just managed to scrape points

Yeah some of the forward movement now is really good, but again your spot on, the defensive movement doesnt quite match it. I dont really have a huge issue with the full backs tackling as such, now a days you tend to see wingers ushered down the line anyway, but its when the ball comes into the box, the reaction times of the defender and sometimes the keeper is really what they need to have a look at. That and when a player runs with the ball in between players, so when the focus of the defending switches from the full back to the centre back, i think the reaction time is a bit off when that happens, seems a player gets passed one and for a second no one else is aware they should try and close down.

Again tho, for right now, this is a solid enough update, bar the high number of shots id say most of the ME is now ahead of the one from FM12. It definitely looks more like football than it ever has, just the statistics of it all doesnt aways quite match up to real life.

A few more tweaks and we could have a really good ME here until they have another good mess around with it in the summer.

The attacking play is fantastic at times , it's pretty much been the defensive side of things that has been an issue since the pre-release Beta.

13.2.1 is very playable from what I have seen, teh number of shots can be an annoyance , but they are something I can live with.

Now if I can work out how to get my wingers to bring my ST back into play I will be happy enough until next update.

i just played away vs CSKA Moskva in EURO cup. scoreline 3-3 (could be argued as "normal" or real), both teams had 21 shots EACH!!! that gives on average 1 shot every two minutes threw whole game! now that is not very realistic as the game would be played in furious tempo at a kindergarden level of intelligence. and my tactic is to play short passing game at a slow pace/build up. how many shots do you think i would get then if i turned up the pace to fast? sorry, but the amout of shots every game is still an issue as the number is ridiculously high.

also, i expect my players in general, but my defenders specificly, to have higher lever of intelligence than a 6 year old. what the heck are they doing in order to allow the oppo to have 21 shots???

same can be said of the oppo team. man, this is very weird....

sorry, but the amout of shots every game is still an issue as the number is ridiculously high.

Has reduced to slightly below ridiculous in general but I agree it's still higher than you'd expect.

I say that after 18 matches with the update.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this. Since the latest patch, (even though I'm doing nothing different), suddenly I'm finding it impossible to get any kind of positive reaction from team talks. In fact, around 50% of players respond with "seemed to switch off", regardless of the talk or tone used in every game. I'm also finding that in league matches, often half of my team are "looking uninterested". This is the start of the game, we're only a few matches into the season. I never saw anything like this in my games played before this patch, it's the very fact that it's such a radical change that made it jump out at me.

Anybody else noticed a similar change?

• SI Staff
Just curious if anyone else has noticed this. Since the latest patch, (even though I'm doing nothing different), suddenly I'm finding it impossible to get any kind of positive reaction from team talks. In fact, around 50% of players respond with "seemed to switch off", regardless of the talk or tone used in every game. I'm also finding that in league matches, often half of my team are "looking uninterested". This is the start of the game, we're only a few matches into the season. I never saw anything like this in my games played before this patch, it's the very fact that it's such a radical change that made it jump out at me.

Anybody else noticed a similar change?

If it is a new gam managing a big club and didnt set your reputation this could be the reason.

Another thing I've noticed recently is that shooting in general seems to have become pretty erratic. I just watched Aaron Lennon take a shot from the semicircle of the penalty box and literally hit the corner flag. I seem to be seeing a lot of shots go wildly astray since the patch.

Seeing more dribbling than the last patch TBH. Certainly from opposition full backs, the likes of Glichy are monsters. Still too many long shots I feel. Have all my players on rare and it is a bit frustrating seeing a nice through ball on and yet they shoot from 25 yards even with CF relatively low. Defending seems to have become worse. Quite liked the closing down in the previous patch now even with a highish CD players just seem to stand off. Crossing also seems to have been reduced which is a shame because my wide men just seem to pass the ball backwards to the full back. And does anyone have any luck getting a lone forward on the score sheet? I am sure it's down to long shots because mine just don't seem to latch on any through balls, possibly because there aren't any!! TBH I preferred the previous.

But having said all that it should be appreciated that SI worked on this at this time of year.

If it is a new gam managing a big club and didnt set your reputation this could be the reason.

I always set my rep to International Footballer. I can perhaps see this affecting the team talks, but why should it cause players to be 'looking uninterested' during important league matches? In friendlies, sure (they were about 80% uninterested in every friendly), but league matches should surely carry enough weight on their own to keep players motivated?

agree kriss

also, i would expect that the general idea of keeping possession is preventing the other team chance to score, or shoot at your goal.

i find it very hard to accept that (admit, it doesnt happen every game but often enough) while my team dominates the game, have lets say 58% possession, shoots 20 shots on goal (still think its a tedbit high) the opposition manages to get 16 shots on my goal. now how would they do that? somebody here said man u vs swindon the other day. and i say chelsea vs aston villa. agree, both are equally correct, but they do not happen every time those team play a game.

i think that there still needs to be some tweaking done to balance the engine.

depending on which league ofcourse, quality of players, the opposition and so i would not expect my team (except perhaps on a very rare occasion, like chelsea) to get more than lets say 15-20 shots in total. in a match like this the oponents should not be able to fire more than 5-6 perhaps.

average and equal games should perhaps have 12-15 shots at tops for both team. somebody here vae printed the actual numbers from english league i think.

i understand it is not a simple task, but the balance is still some ways off. and lets be honest, the game has been under developement for around 12 moths, out on the market for soon three and I/we paid some good money for it.

sorry for the rant, i know it is not only about the number of shots, but it is a big chunk of the game and as it stands, it takes away some of the satisfaction. its not funny anymore to win 4-2 or 5-3 just as equally you dont much care when you lose by those same numbers. you just think "oh well, everybody knows it sucks......"

anyway, rant over, no disrespect intended, thanx for getting the patch out on Christmas Eve and Merry Christmas

Firstly I'd like to say thank you to the staff at SI for working so hard to get an update out on Christmas Eve. I'd have perfectly understood if they had left work on Friday and not returned until the New Year: to be working so far into the holiday shows a real commitment to customer service which I, for one appreciate.

I've only played one match post patch, and you can't judge anything from a single match - there are always going to be freak results and if your match turns out to be one...

But my first match turned out Tottenham (me) 7 Man Utd 3. 12 successful dribbles for Lennon and 10 for Bale who scored a hat trick (though to be fair two were headers from dead balls, I had had 'Att Set Pieces' set up for match prep and had a couple of very good set piece takers in the team, in all four of my goal were headers from set pieces.)

So on a highly unrepresentative sample of a single game it doesn't look like all the problems are quite solved yet. But maybe it's a fluke, like Reading 5 Arsenal 7.

Merry Christmas, anyway, and thanks to everyone at SI who worked so hard to get the update out.

Another thing I've noticed recently is that shooting in general seems to have become pretty erratic. I just watched Aaron Lennon take a shot from the semicircle of the penalty box and literally hit the corner flag. I seem to be seeing a lot of shots go wildly astray since the patch.

This is not a new thing, it's been happening all the time. It's awful.

Can you check you definitley set it this time for me please. Theres different factors that can influence it like they dont have faith in you yet.

Okay, that's weird. It's reading as automatic in the profile. So you're obviously right that this is what's causing the issue. But I'm absolutely convinced that it was set to International Footballer when I originally started the game (created in the previous patch) and the fact that I wasn't seeing any of this behaviour before (as I said, that's why it immediately jumped out at me) would suggest I'm not imagining things.

Ho hum, but I can't prove that I suppose :(

i understand it is not a simple task, but the balance is still some ways off. and lets be honest, the game has been under developement for around 12 moths, out on the market for soon three and I/we paid some good money for it.

Well actually this ME version has been under development for over 2 years and the point I keep making is that that makes this year a one off in terms of its balancing it.

I've also said many times that no developer is capable of running a testing team which can fully test software this complex, that invariably means that the true test is once it's released to the hundreds of thousand who can adequately test it.

The nature of the beast means that isn't going to change and so when you get special circumstances like with the ME this year it has every chance of being a tortuous process.

SI will continue to work on the ME and eventually it will far surpass any previous version (the rewrite had to happen to enable that) in the meantime people need to decide whether they want to help the process, wait for its completion or storm off in a huff :)

Personally I find the game playable but a tad frustrating (was it ever different? :D)

Pre patch, i was top of the Championship as Brighton. Not by miles, its close, i win plenty and lose a few.

I've now played 3 matches with the new patch.

away v Stoke (prem) league Cup semi first leg: LOST 2-0

away v West Ham (me top, them 8th) LOST 1-0

home v Swansea (me 3rd, them 16th) LOST 2-0

Now before you think I'm whinging simply because I'm losing, i'd like to throw some stats from these 3 games out there.

Total shots for me in 3 matches(on target in brackets) 14 - (3)

Total shots for Oppo in same 3 matches (on target in brackets) 53 -(33)......I kid you not !!

To say i'm p**sed off is an understatement, my solid 4-4-2 and my top of the league team has gone to total dog-dirt.

So, utterly fed-up.

Well actually this ME version has been under development for over 2 years and the point I keep making is that that makes this year a one off in terms of its balancing it.

I've also said many times that no developer is capable of running a testing team which can fully test software this complex, that invariably means that the true test is once it's released to the hundreds of thousand who can adequately test it.

The nature of the beast means that isn't going to change and so when you get special circumstances like with the ME this year it has every chance of being a tortuous process.

SI will continue to work on the ME and eventually it will far surpass any previous version (the rewrite had to happen to enable that) in the meantime people need to decide whether they want to help the process, wait for its completion or storm off in a huff :)

Personally I find the game playable but a tad frustrating (was it ever different? :D)

hahahaha, totally agree there with you mate :-)

i guess it would be easier to accept if i played with Tottenham (man, is it a frustrating rollercoaster life being a Spurs fan!).

but i am glad that the SI guys are working on the issue. biggest proof is them releasing a patch today, Christmas Eve. it might not be perfect, hell its way off perfect, but it is there, and it took some time and energy to get it there.

I hope that the patches (there will probably be few more of them) will keep coming often as opposed to every three months. i would rather have small changes, improvements every second week rather than one big overhaul once in half a year :-)

Thanks for this SI, really appreciate that you work so hard and have such a high output of Updates. I just lost my first game in the entire Season, against ManU in the CL Semis and i'd say that this is a good sign.

Kinda sad to hear that the Injury-rate wasn't adressed in the Update, maybe it's just coincidence, but i never, in my entire FM-career, had such a crisis as this year. At some point 6 of my 6 strikers were injured, even my reserve strikers. The whole season there were always atleast 7 players injured all the time and they were almost always first team players getting injured in the match. This can be an anomaly, but well it somewhat sucked.

The bigger point, the fact that i couldn't be beaten by anonse seems to be adressed. My last 2 games were against Manu, i lost the first and drawed the 2nd.

Definite improvement on the last update. Dribbling numbers have calmed down a lot, not getting a long shots problem (I have 2 players set on sometimes, everyone else on rarely) and the football, especially the cross field passing is a joy to watch. Personally I don't think the match engine needs too much tweaking, it's nearly perfect. Goalkeepers are much better, especially with regards to distribution. Throw ins no longer give me panic attacks as my taker finds a teammate most of the time. Nearly there I think, don't mess with it too much, nice early Christmas present.

First Game I played with the patch my team, Reading (Championship 3rd) played Peterborough (7th) at home. We had 23 shots in the match, and didn't score. Okay so their keeper had a blinder but most of the shots were hopeless punts from distance that sailed at least 15 yards wide.

It may just be a couple of my players who do most of their shooting, I seem to have a couple of players, my DLF and my AMC who always shoot whenever they get the ball. Has anyone found a way of stopping them from doing that ?

Ten games into the new patch, and it has certainly reduced the frequency of the overly effective dribbling (but not eradicated it, which is a big thumbs up).

Shots are reduced, and I think are much more in line with reality, and as a result, I'm not seeing any crazy scores so far.

I have seen some odd shot selection, which may be a consequence of tuning the shots, but generally better overall.

Tactically it was a bit of a head scratcher, but after the challenges the previous patch presented, I'm finding that I'm being able to play more aggressively, and with more freedom in this ME version, so that's positive in my book.

Above all, the work, stress and dedication from SI in working long hours in what is supposed to be a holiday period are wholly commendable.

The ME isn't perfect yet, but if the fluent attacking play can be translated into greater defensive clarify and efficiency in the next patch or two, it'll be spot on.

Cheers and Happy Christmas!

The ME just changes dramaticaly with each update. Why not make minimal changes each update so that it does not unbalance the game.

Update 13.1.2 had some problems and were fixed by 13.1.3. The game became better.

Now 13.2 and 13.2.1 again have the same issues that were in the older 13.1.2

- players seem afraid to attack, they keep passing the ball backwords even on attacking.

- through passes are rarely seen even if a player is open and free.

- again crosses have decreased. The winger decides mostly to play a pass backwards to full back.

- players in lower leagues shooting is extremely bad. no accuracy whatsoever, and almost like a pass.

- also passing accuracy have decreased, with each pass there is a big chance of interception.

This goes both ways for my team and the AI team.

More stats:

Shots per game look great.

The real life EPL average shots per game is about 28.1.

In the 13.2.1 patch, I'm getting an EPL average shots per game of about 28.4.

Season goal totals look very good too.

Top 5 Goals Scored 13.2.1 vs. 2011/12

1) Manchester City (97) - Manchester City (93)

2) Manchester United (78) - Manchester United (89)

3) Chelsea (77) - Arsenal (74)

4) Tottenham (70) - Tottenham (66)

5) Arsenal (68) - Newcastle (56)

The total range is 34-97 for a season of FM13 on full detail with a median of 47. The total range in 2011/12 was 40 to 93 with a median of 46.5.

Individual stats next...

Individual stats:

Individual goals and assists look good. The Top 10 individual goal scorers fall into a range of 13-23 goals scored compared to 13-30 in 2011/12.

Tackles per game have been significantly reduced, though they're still far too high (but the normal "too high" of the past several versions of FM). I don't know how possible this is in the current ME, but tackle rates should be lowered to about 40% of their current levels to achieve realistic stats.

Dribbles, likewise, have been significantly reduced but remain too high. For example, Gareth Bale is the league's 3rd best dribbler with a dribble rate of 8.48. In 2011/12, he had a dribble rate of 1.8. In my 13.2.1 save, the 30th best dribbler is Sebastian Larsson with 2.93 (a rate that exceeds 2011/12's best by 0.32 dribbles per game) whereas 2011/12's actual 30th best dribbler was Chris Eagles with a total of 1.1 dribbles per game. In general, SI should be aiming to reduce successful dribbles to about 30% of their current levels.

Individual stats:

Individual goals and assists look good. The Top 10 individual goal scorers fall into a range of 13-23 goals scored compared to 13-30 in 2011/12.

Tackles per game have been significantly reduced, though they're still far too high (but the normal "too high" of the past several versions of FM). I don't know how possible this is in the current ME, but tackle rates should be lowered to about 40% of their current levels to achieve realistic stats.

Dribbles, likewise, have been significantly reduced but remain too high. For example, Gareth Bale is the league's 3rd best dribbler with a dribble rate of 8.48. In 2011/12, he had a dribble rate of 1.8. In my 13.2.1 save, the 30th best dribbler is Sebastian Larsson with 2.93 (a rate that exceeds 2011/12's best by 0.32 dribbles per game) whereas 2011/12's actual 30th best dribbler was Chris Eagles with a total of 1.1 dribbles per game. In general, SI should be aiming to reduce successful dribbles to about 30% of their current levels.

I normally scoff when people quote percentages:D but I think you're pretty close to the truth with your estimates, at least they didn't over compensate this time around.

Individual stats:

Any stats about cross conversion? Feels a bit lean at the moment, but maybe it was just too effective in the previous 2 patches?

Finally, there is a very strange disparity between the top assist-makers (mostly wingers) and the top key passers (mostly central midfielders) indicating that either central midfielders are creating too high a proportion of really poor chances or wingers are creating too many great chances or some mix of both. On the whole, while assists look good, key pass rates are significantly lower compared to real life and the top chance creators are creating about 20-30 less total chances than their real life counterparts. Obviously, this could mean a lot of things, but superficially, this would seem to support the argument that wingplay is somewhat overpowered and that overall chance creation is a bit too low.

Any stats about cross conversion? Feels a bit lean at the moment, but maybe it was just too effective in the previous 2 patches?

I don't have access to actual cross conversion stats, but the above would suggest it might be a bit high.

Finally, there is a very strange disparity between the top assist-makers (mostly wingers) and the top key passers (mostly central midfielders) indicating that either central midfielders are creating too high a proportion of really poor chances or wingers are creating too many great chances or some mix of both. On the whole, while assists look good, key pass rates are significantly lower compared to real life and the top chance creators are creating about 20-30 less total chances than their real life counterparts. Obviously, this could mean a lot of things, but superficially, this would seem to support the argument that wingplay is somewhat overpowered and that overall chance creation is a bit too low.

I don't have access to actual cross conversion stats, but the above would suggest it might be a bit high.

Interesting stuff. My experience of the last two patches saw my tactic built entirely round a very efficient succession of wingers, whether Lennon with Spurs, Valencia with Man U or Navas with Sevilla.

Since today's patch, things have changed for me, but I probably haven't played enough games to figure out why just yet.

Set up a holiday game and TBH haven't seen any mental scores - most games pretty low scoring averaging 3-4 goals a game and the number of shots look about right too

United did beat Fulham 5-2 but it was only 2-0 when their keeper got injured on 45 and Chelsea beat Reading 6-3 which could happen in real life

Did notice when United beat Bury in the league cup Bury had 27% possession and had 12 shots (7 onT) while United had 13 shots but could have been a one off

My team were playing default 442 and were doing OK - will be interesting to see if there is any change if I'm managing and using my proper tactic

Looks a lot better at first glance :)

If they wanted to go down this road it would be more logical and fair to offer this beta release to thousands of testers before releasing it -it's called an open beta - not making them pay for it.

And you don't give people a chance to decide. It's either help us or you can't play the game. There is no option that says "buy a more or less finished game and enjoy it." There's just "buy the beta if you want to play it" and then help us release a finished version which we will charge anew.

Overall this patch is much better than previous. For me i am seeing my fullbacks defend slightly better (still needs to be improved tho) less runs through the middle of the pitch. Less pointless long ball from outfield players (goalkeeper still insists on kicking it long too often) and defense overall seems more solid.

Some things that does still frustrate me are firstly the defending at the back post from crosses. My full backs have been in great positions to just drop 2 yards and hook the ball away. They fail to drop the two yards and the attacker gets in behind to tap it in. Definitely not a major problem but it's something that should be defended which isn't.

Secondly shooting.Still to many long shots and i don't see why my players are finessing them either cos they are from about 30 yards at times. Also one on ones, my strikers (Borini, Admilson) have 18 and 19 finishing and constantly shoot straight at the keeper. Clear cut chances are not easy to create in this game but although i accept due to fairly average composure they will mess up a few one-on-ones when they have loads of time to think but seeing more instinct type (one touch, shoot) also going straight at the keepers so often is frustrating.

Finally goalkeepers. They are useless. I've had enough of seeing them dive but not actually dive to either side (mostly noticeable on pens). I say that but it doesn't happen all the time but still it should never happen at all. I've also noticed that keepers seem to be dropping the ball more with shots straight at them (this hasn't changed since previous patch). As i keeper myself i understand that it's so easy to take your eye off the ball and for it to bounce out of your chest. But this is very rare, here we have the ball often bouncing out 10/15 yards. You will find most fumbles will stop a yard or 2 in front of the keeper, this needs to be sorted. Also crosses, keepers just don't read them at all well. They only seem to claim them if they're straight at them. Corners they very rarely come and claim. When collecting high balls they actually move backwards and often catch them chest height luckily strikers just seem to ignore them so i haven't conceded or scored from it but it's still a problem. I also saw the keeper come 5 yards out of the area. This was definitely and animation bug because he caught the ball a few yards in the area, took a few steps before his legs stopped moving and he then drifted out the area a few yards (just realized i can't upload a pkm either because i rage quitted that game after conceding a goal from the cross i mentioned earlier)

The game is definitely better than previously, still sucks tho for a game i spend so much money on

EDIT: Still high scoring games for AI (i've never won more than 4-0 in this or the last patch) but although (again in the games i've played and not looked at the AI games stats) the shot count is looking slightly better but still to many of them are from long shots)

First of all i want to thank you SI staff for releasing an update when you could spend your time with families and friends.

I personally think things are a bit worse than before. I played some matches and what i've seen was only a run with ball ending with a shot, despite the instructions. My wingers keep going to centre when i set them to stay by the byline and cross from the bottom of the pitch. What I got is wingers keep the ball and running toward the net, not giving/facing any kind of tackle. Same for midfielders, unmarkables. I've been told somewhere if this was possibly due to high dribbling attribute, but I think unless you are Maradona or Pele or Messi, no one should get out from a triple marking.

Also I still see DCs going for butterflies losing forwards for a clear cut chance.

I'm sorry but my opinion is things are not improved.

However I wish you all good holidays and merry christmas :)

First of all i want to thank you SI staff for releasing an update when you could spend your time with families and friends.

I personally think things are a bit worse than before. I played some matches and what i've seen was only a run with ball ending with a shot, despite the instructions. My wingers keep going to centre when i set them to stay by the byline and cross from the bottom of the pitch. What I got is wingers keep the ball and running toward the net, not giving/facing any kind of tackle. Same for midfielders, unmarkables. I've been told somewhere if this was possibly due to high dribbling attribute, but I think unless you are Maradona or Pele or Messi, no one should get out from a triple marking.

Also I still see DCs going for butterflies losing forwards for a clear cut chance.

I'm sorry but my opinion is things are not improved.

However I wish you all good holidays and merry christmas :)

I totally agree....prior to the the latest patch.

Things seem alot better, not perfect, but better.

Will enjoy fm over the xmas break.

Well done si, but you owed us this.

Archived