Sports Interactive Community
Stuart Warren

Match Engine Update 13.2.1 - ME 1325 Constructive feedback here please

i mean i just kicked MU's ass 4-1 in the FA cup, then lose 3-2 to Swansea in EPL...tactics ?

That's exactly what it is.

Not saying it makes me an expert, but i should have a decent enough grasp of tactics not to struggle against QPR and Swansea..and here it's not about transferring IRL knowledge to IRL practice, it's about IRL knowledge to FM tactics, which is quite different, i am not a big fan of sliders and bars tbh..also, i just lost to swansea as arsenal 3-2..they went up 2-0, managed to equalise and then they won 3-2, and 2 out of their 3 goals were from crosses, as most goals in this game seem to be atm..what am i supposed to do, reload the game til they stop scoring so much per game from crosses ? that would ruin the game..also, sure..mertesacker can lose a header but he lost two crucial ones in 2 out of 3 games to players that were considerably inferior to him in the air...like gaston ramirez for example...idk, lower profile teams are kicking waaaaay a lot of ass atm..maybe my team is throwing away possession due to long shot bug, and they are scoring a lot due to the crosses bug..maybe..also, everytime teams get behind in this encarnation on FM, they seem to go absolutely crazy in getting the equaliser..if i D up too early, it's bad..if i don't D up, i get equalised..wth..also, my team seems to play waaaay better in champions league/cups than in the EPL..and i do better against high-profile EPL teams than against lower profile EPL teams..i mean i just kicked MU's ass 4-1 in the FA cup, then lose 3-2 to Swansea in EPL...tactics ? yeah, idk..the disparity is too large...i kick so much ass in CL/Cups, and do awful in EPL, specially against low profile teams, whether i play attacking or control-based football

Arsene Wenger would agree; doesn't mean you'll always beat the weaker teams, though. The game doesn't always do what you want. It would be boring if you asked your players to 'pass to feet' and they always made 100% of their passes. Your players will make errors. Your players will deviate from your instructions. Your players will have off days. Your players can struggle against a weaker side.

Who'd have thought United would beat City, Arsenal and Chelsea but then lose to Norwich and draw at Swansea? The fact is you have to adapt for each game. Assess your opponents for each game. Play to your strengths, but also be mindful of the opposition strength. If you're playing a weaker, defensive team try sitting back a little and invite them out of their half and then catch them on the counter. There are a plethora of tactical amendments you can make to suit the situation you're facing. I know it's frustrating, I've had the same, you beat the league leaders, your players are over-confident, you go into your next match thinking you should beat a relegation struggling team and tell your players that too. But what happens...

It happens IRL, it happens in the game, too.

Interesting. I only found it a regular occurrence when I instructed my players to use it. Previously I've used wingers more and most of my assists came from the wings. Now I'm lacking in that department I switched to play more centrally and saw a lot more through balls. Now I have to go out and buy a couple of decent wingers to make use of the overpowered wing play.

It seems—in my humble opinion—that I have to have the players depending on where the ME is over powered. 13.1.3 it was through balls (supposedly), 13.2.1 it's quick wingers. I have an excellent 5 star AMC (he is my star player) that now seems completely redundant. Perhaps it's a tactical problem, but he is not as effective as he once was, and now when he gets the ball all he does is shoot shoot shoot, rather than stop, look for the killer pass and create chances for my poacher ahead of him.

Maybe this belongs in the tactics forum.

You have to create a lot of space to play through balls. The striker needs clear space to run into, the passer needs to have time and little pressure to be able to see the pass and play it. Then everything needs to be perfectly timed for it to be effective. That's how it should be. If you have a good team and fast strikers your opponents will play deep and deny the space behind. Fast strikers and good passers can still be a threat in these circumstances but you need to work harder to create that space.

Successful through balls are pretty rare in reality. One on ones in acres of space do not happen nearly as regularly as in past versions of FM and even if decision making on the ball is a bit dodgy at times this version is definitely an improvement in this regard.

It would be nice if backpasses wouldnt be picked up by the GK anymore. I still see it happen and it should be an indirect fk in the box. Or at least the passes should look less like passes and more like interceptions.

Another thing: yesterday in a game: opponents GK comes out to catch a long ball. He jumps, catches it and lands outside the box. He stands there and kicks it away. No offside/foul from my side, no red card for him. He was around 1 meter outside of the box.

Both these things might just be the visuals though.

You have to create a lot of space to play through balls. The striker needs clear space to run into, the passer needs to have time and little pressure to be able to see the pass and play it. Then everything needs to be perfectly timed for it to be effective. That's how it should be. If you have a good team and fast strikers your opponents will play deep and deny the space behind. Fast strikers and good passers can still be a threat in these circumstances but you need to work harder to create that space.

Successful through balls are pretty rare in reality. One on ones in acres of space do not happen nearly as regularly as in past versions of FM and even if decision making on the ball is a bit dodgy at times this version is definitely an improvement in this regard.

The issue is players barely even attempt them anymore. I agree that a lot of factors need to go right to create a successful chance from a through-ball, and the game has been guilty of making it far too easy in the past, but if I see my midfield play-maker or my DLF take two steps and shoot from 30 yards one more time, I'm going to go mental.

Funnily enough, while my tactic has worked on every patch and I'm on a crazy good run of form on this update, I don't like the football I am watching.

It would be nice if backpasses wouldnt be picked up by the GK anymore. I still see it happen and it should be an indirect fk in the box. Or at least the passes should look less like passes and more like interceptions.

Another thing: yesterday in a game: opponents GK comes out to catch a long ball. He jumps, catches it and lands outside the box. He stands there and kicks it away. No offside/foul from my side, no red card for him. He was around 1 meter outside of the box.

Both these things might just be the visuals though.

If you could, posting PKMs of this happening in the bugs forum would be greatly helpful.

The issue is players barely even attempt them anymore. I agree that a lot of factors need to go right to create a successful chance from a through-ball, and the game has been guilty of making it far too easy in the past, but if I see my midfield play-maker or my DLF take two steps and shoot from 30 yards one more time, I'm going to go mental.

Funnily enough, while my tactic has worked on every patch and I'm on a crazy good run of form on this update, I don't like the football I am watching.

Have you watched the goal highlights from the other matches in your league to see if the AI is suffering from this sort of thing as well?

Have you watched the goal highlights from the other matches in your league to see if the AI is suffering from this sort of thing as well?

I haven't, and I see the AI still play in their strikers quite a bit against me, so I assume it's tactical. It's just annoying that the interplay I was seeing between my front two and midfield play-maker on previous updates has seemed to evaporate.

But again, I am having a lot of success, so who knows.

I don't know. I see plenty of through balls in my game. Very few are successful but that's how I'd expect it to be. You sure it's not tactical in your game then?

Agree with the long shots btw, that is most clearly an issue, but in my view it's mostly caused by players refusing to carry the ball through the middle to commit defenders preferring to whack it from distance instead. Again, if there isn't a striker clearly in space ahead of them it's not reasonable to expect a through ball to be the default play there though.

@ Oneunited you make good points.. i do hope it is not the game, and it's just good realism and stuff, i prefer getting my ass handed to me and that being a realistic thing, opposed to the unpleasant alternative . This ME has a lot of pluses compared to the old one but there are the long shots and the crosses, and the goalie and defenders issues that really hurt it.

I don't disagree. But they could just as easily stop and wait for support, or try the one in a hundred pass etc. Right now it's just useless long shot as the first, second and third options.

Okay, constructive criticism coming up.

I'm not saying the ME is worse than 12.2, but it is a lot less fun to play. If I knew what I was buying (and I can't say the demo is a representation of this what I actually paid €45 for) I would have dropped it like a hot brick.

I'm not really good with pointing out what is wrong, I'm just an average customer that wants to enjoy a game. The beef I have with this is that it doesn't allow you to play like you are actually in control. They just do what they want out there. I can use shouts 'till my throat is sore, they won't act upon it. The defense... Well, if the Utd backline performed like they do on my save, they'd be out on the streets in no time as SAF would not condone this level of fumbling. Spending money on strikers is pointless. They all perform equally bland, there is nearly no difference between RVP and a 200.000 pound striker. Just try it. It makes no difference.

Really disappointed in this game, and this while I have been a fan of the franchise since '97.

As for the people that say I should change my tactic to a 3-7-0, really. I never ever had a FM that dictated a tactic. I was able to make any tactic and play it and be satisfied. This... It just makes no sense. I have a guy up there with a CCC and all he does is play it back to the CM who plays it back to the keeper. All the worse, that guy is a 20 million pound striker. He'd never make 20M with that performance.

Well I tried to be constructive, but in the end, any comment on this ME will have to be negative... Sorry! I do like a lot of stuff too (the DOF and HOYD, good moves) and the audience is the best ever. Sad thing is that this is a football game, not an audience sim.

Please do something about it. I already told my friends not to buy this until a new patch is out and keep playing 12.

I don't disagree. But they could just as easily stop and wait for support, or try the one in a hundred pass etc. Right now it's just useless long shot as the first, second and third options.

This I agree on. Sure the through ball shouldnt necessarily be the first choice (unless they have the killer balls ppm and relative attributes) But too many times they are taking the long shot, when there are easier options on.

I'm not saying the ME is worse than 12.2, but it is a lot less fun to play. If I knew what I was buying (and I can't say the demo is a representation of this what I actually paid €45 for) I would have dropped it like a hot brick.

I'm not really good with pointing out what is wrong, I'm just an average customer that wants to enjoy a game. The beef I have with this is that it doesn't allow you to play like you are actually in control. They just do what they want out there. I can use shouts 'till my throat is sore, they won't act upon it. The defense... Well, if the Utd backline performed like they do on my save, they'd be out on the streets in no time as SAF would not condone this level of fumbling. Spending money on strikers is pointless. They all perform equally bland, there is nearly no difference between RVP and a 200.000 pound striker. Just try it. It makes no difference.

Really disappointed in this game, and this while I have been a fan of the franchise since '97.

As for the people that say I should change my tactic to a 3-7-0, really. I never ever had a FM that dictated a tactic. I was able to make any tactic and play it and be satisfied. This... It just makes no sense. I have a guy up there with a CCC and all he does is play it back to the CM who plays it back to the keeper. All the worse, that guy is a 20 million pound striker. He'd never make 20M with that performance.

Well I tried to be constructive, but in the end, any comment on this ME will have to be negative... Sorry! I do like a lot of stuff too (the DOF and HOYD, good moves) and the audience is the best ever. Sad thing is that this is a football game, not an audience sim.

Please do something about it. I already told my friends not to buy this until a new patch is out and keep playing 12.

This is exactly how I feel at the moment. It seems like you have no influence on performance at all. When you look at the goals they all look like defence is fumbling. If it happens now and then then fine but all the goals I concede are from what I can see on the screen caused by my fumbling World Class defence. They just stand there and look at the opponent with the ball. No attempt whatsoever to close down properly and tackle and I've tried everything. Such performance would in real life lead not only to bench but to sacking. Yet they all somehow get rating of 7+.. A misstake like that would in reality give you a 1 or 2 in the newspaper.

I thought that longshots hitting flags was just an exaggeration, until I got this

[video=youtube;RGou-qaH1o8]

I'm the red team, so it's not my tactics =p

I can provide the PKM if wanted

I thought that longshots hitting flags was just an exaggeration, until I got this

[video=youtube;RGou-qaH1o8]

I'm the red team, so it's not my tactics =p

I can provide the PKM if wanted

If that happens every game its an issue. Once in a while it's fine, you see it often enough that it should be in the game as a rare-ish occurence.

It was the plethora of goals like that that stopped my playing 13.1 !

I persevered with it because there were lots of positives despite that. Goals like these made me bin FM2010 though. Absolutely loathed the ME in that game.

:applause:

Exactly how i feel.

This is exactly how I feel at the moment. It seems like you have no influence on performance at all. When you look at the goals they all look like defence is fumbling. If it happens now and then then fine but all the goals I concede are from what I can see on the screen caused by my fumbling World Class defence. They just stand there and look at the opponent with the ball. No attempt whatsoever to close down properly and tackle and I've tried everything. Such performance would in real life lead not only to bench but to sacking. Yet they all somehow get rating of 7+.. A misstake like that would in reality give you a 1 or 2 in the newspaper.

Even worse is when the backline seems really busy running into the goal with their backs to the incoming attack, and the opposition striker shoots a low fumble, and it passes them by at two feet away and they do nothing except trying to reach a goal they then share with a football. :/

Just read this quote by Gus Poyet, it isn't really a comment on the current ME but it does make you wonder why we think our problems are just game related sometimes :)

"A few weeks ago we had 27 shots, 17 of them on target, and only scored one goal. Today we hit the target three times and scored three goals.

"Is that normal? No. But that's football and that's what can happen in this division.

I understand that my team won't always successfully play through balls. But I would at least like them to try on occasion. I play deep, I play with a DMC, MC and a roaming AMC, typically (this could be due to an exploit in the previous ME) the DMC/MC would keep the opposition MCs occupied, leading to at least one defender being drawn out of position onto the AMC, the FBs would be occupied with my wingers. My AMC is so good he'd either take on the DC, or just play the ball into the gap where my poacher would be waiting, on the shoulder of the last remaining DC. My Poacher is Carlos Fierro, he can beat anyone, and usually scores.

Again, this could just be an exploit I was using (happy to accept that if confirmed), but what I fail to accept is that my 5* AMC would now rather shoot for the corner flag from 40 yards or take everyone on, rather than look for the pass. I could upload a PKM of my last match, but it would be pointless because we've seen them all before, but a montage of his last game would show countless dribbles and long range shots.

I fear changing my tactics is only going to exploit the current weakness in the ME, which is to give my AMC the ball and make him run, because he has 20 pace, acceleration and dribbling. But I don't want him to always run. I don't want to do that, because I'm sure SI will get the next update right. I'm sure dribbling will be toned down.

@ Oneunited you make good points.. i do hope it is not the game, and it's just good realism and stuff, i prefer getting my ass handed to me and that being a realistic thing, opposed to the unpleasant alternative . This ME has a lot of pluses compared to the old one but there are the long shots and the crosses, and the goalie and defenders issues that really hurt it.

This isn't about winning or losing. I'm actually winning almost every game, but it's the manner in which I'm winning that I'm not happy with. It's too easy to give my star player the ball, and set him to run with it often. I've not seen anyone take him down yet. He has scored 15 in 10 or something like that, from an AMC position. It's unrealistic.

Just read this quote by Gus Poyet, it isn't really a comment on the current ME but it does make you wonder why we think our problems are just game related sometimes :)

"A few weeks ago we had 27 shots, 17 of them on target, and only scored one goal. Today we hit the target three times and scored three goals.

"Is that normal? No. But that's football and that's what can happen in this division.

You gotta love Gus.

Sadly the game feels ridiculously random, apart the usual problems with long shots, defending, physics etc. I just played with Newcastle against Huddersfield. We are 6th with normal form and Huddersfield 14 with normal form too. I played 3 games all with same tactics. First game 1-1 with 18-6 shots. Second 0-5 with 5-13 shots and third 3-0 with 27-8 shots. Is there any point in what we do in this game? This is the feeling i get from the whole experience of the game. Seriously asking.

Sadly the game feels ridiculously random, apart the usual problems with long shots, defending, physics etc. I just played with Newcastle against Huddersfield. We are 6th with normal form and Huddersfield 14 with normal form too. I played 3 games all with same tactics. First game 1-1 with 18-6 shots. Second 0-5 with 5-13 shots and third 3-0 with 27-8 shots. Is there any point in what we do in this game? This is the feeling i get from the whole experience of the game. Seriously asking.

Would you rather ever game finished with exactly the same score and exactly the same scorers?

I'm sure there would be more outrage if this happened...

Yeah i would rather like that. Or something nearer to that. Thats the point of managing and playing a simulation. Otherwise there is no point. We could just flip a coin

If that happens every game its an issue. Once in a while it's fine, you see it often enough that it should be in the game as a rare-ish occurence.

It happens in every match at the lower leagues so I suppose its an issue.

I understand that my team won't always successfully play through balls. But I would at least like them to try on occasion.

I find the problem is forwards don't like making runs. It's not so much an issue at a capable (see: higher) level of football but at the lower league strikers stand there like idiots and midfielders don't have the ability to put the pass ahead.

I find the result is, no matter how you set up a 4-4-2 in the lower leagues, the strikers are far too deep to compensate for the deep back line and deep midfield (for whatever reason) that every time they get the ball, even if in theory a pace and acc 1 attribute striker could take 5 minutes to walk into the box and fire off a shot, they simply won't do it. In fact they get the ball, loads of space, get near the box? Panic, fire it at the corner flag.

The problem for me at the moment is it's not realistic at all. I've seen lower league games and teams at the bottom end IRL are NOT afraid to get in the box. In fact there's a LOT of action in and around the box and less so in midfield usually. FM has it backwards in that respect, because players are scared to get forward and get in the box. They're launching it when common sense says they could take as long as they like to get forward.

The other issue is the one-touch swansealona passing is STILL there especially at lower levels. Granted ball control is an absolute joke at the lower leagues but every player in the world knows how to trap a ball. The ME doesn't seem to be able to comprehend the simple act of controlling the ball, it's 'first time' this and 'first time' that. It really does need toning down.

On the other hand, at the higher stages (Internationals) I'm not seeing these issues too much exception being the one-touch passing but at that stage it's expected to be somewhat more common even if I personally think it needs toning down anyway.

(P.S. If none of the above makes sense, I've had no sleep so... >.> sorry.)

The problem for me at the moment is it's not realistic at all. I've seen lower league games and teams at the bottom end IRL are NOT afraid to get in the box. In fact there's a LOT of action in and around the box and less so in midfield usually. FM has it backwards in that respect, because players are scared to get forward and get in the box. They're launching it when common sense says they could take as long as they like to get forward.

^^ this.

I fear changing my tactics is only going to exploit the current weakness in the ME, which is to give my AMC the ball and make him run, because he has 20 pace, acceleration and dribbling. But I don't want him to always run.

He has scored 15 in 10 or something like that, from an AMC position. It's unrealistic.

Even Messi doesn't have those stats (only 16 pace), that's a freakishly good player, it's no wonder the AI can't really cope with him.

I understand that my team won't always successfully play through balls. But I would at least like them to try on occasion. I play deep, I play with a DMC, MC and a roaming AMC, typically (this could be due to an exploit in the previous ME) the DMC/MC would keep the opposition MCs occupied, leading to at least one defender being drawn out of position onto the AMC, the FBs would be occupied with my wingers. My AMC is so good he'd either take on the DC, or just play the ball into the gap where my poacher would be waiting, on the shoulder of the last remaining DC. My Poacher is Carlos Fierro, he can beat anyone, and usually scores.

Your problem here seems to be that you're expecting a specific pattern to always work. As I said, you can get your players as well as your AMC to play through balls. It's a discussion that belongs in the tactics forum though.

Your problem here seems to be that you're expecting a specific pattern to always work. As I said, you can get your players as well as your AMC to play through balls. It's a discussion that belongs in the tactics forum though.

Again, I'm not expecting it to always work. Just sometimes would be nice. And yes, it could well be a tactical issue, but I've decided to wait until the next patch before picking up my save again.

Avoiding this game until the next patch. 13.2 has ruined it for me.

Back to FM12 for now.

Such a shame. 13.1 was great IMO.

It happens in every match at the lower leagues so I suppose its an issue.

If thats the case then posting proof in the bugs forum is the only way to help SI fix it. I don't know if you have already or not, just saying.

Another problem that I'm finding is there is a pattern in my games where I have more shots on target than the opposition.

BUT SOMEHOW.. I end up losing.

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Such a shame. 13.1 was great IMO.

So great, there was a thread comparable to this size with everyone moaning about how broken and unplayable it was.

Another problem that I'm finding is there is a pattern in my games where I have more shots on target than the opposition.

BUT SOMEHOW.. I end up losing.

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

It's annoying when that happens http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20840909

In all seriousness, try not to look at the total shots, but rather just the clear cut chances or even half chances. If you're not creating any, it's a tactical issue. If the other team has 3 shots and 3 clear cut chances, it's a tactical issue.

In fact, what ever it is, it sounds like a tactical issue.

Yeah i would rather like that. Or something nearer to that. Thats the point of managing and playing a simulation. Otherwise there is no point. We could just flip a coin

But the match is pre determined as a result when you begin the match, this result changes when you make a change in game, or when you target a opposition player or make a shout. So the fact you managed 3 times and got 3 different results is a good thing.

How can it be a good thing to play the exact same game with same tactics and starting eleven and have 3 extremely different scores ranging from 3-0 to 0-5? I really cant get what kind of football managing simulation game u want. If the difference was 1-2 +- goals i could accept it but 3 different results with a difference of 8 one sided goals is too much and says that there is no predetermined score and that everything at least on this match is based in random luck and no managing choices.

Why are players so stupid when it comes to heading the ball?

It has been like that in FM since I can remember.

Nice and easy for the player to control, no pressure, or even head it out for a throw/ corner.

newcastlevromapitchfull.png

No, he heads it to the opposition and we concede.

EDIT: Defence being crap and the usual cross - goal.

How can it be a good thing to play the exact same game with same tactics and starting eleven and have 3 extremely different scores ranging from 3-0 to 0-5?

Player reactions, morale, etc when you/they score/lose a goal will have a snowball effect on the rest of the match.

Earlier this season, my own team IRL, beat Rangers 1-0 (Still the only team to beat them in the league this season). Play that game again 5 times, and you'd get wildly different results. Had Rangers scored early that day, they'd possibly have gone on to win four or five nil.

That's the beauty of football, it's unpredictable. So many teams react differently to scoring or losing goals, that it makes correct scores almost impossible to predict.

At least the game reflects real life well on this thread. :thup:

Managers irl whine and moan ad nauseum and them moan and whine some more about everything and anything in why it doesn't go exactly as it should according to their version of how it should and never ever blame themselves for poor decisions etc etc.

If you use latin please do so correctly.

Ergo: its 'ad nauseam' but hey i guess alea iacta est.

basically the way this match engine is at present, it doesnt matter how many chances you create, its how many of those chances are played in such a way you can score against this match engine, thats how its so random because you can only score a certain way now(cross then goal)so all the ai has to do is create 2 chances down the wing or a cross from a set piece to score, while your creating 30 chances with all different kinds of attacks which hit the corner flag or the cross bar, again totally random.

what am trying to say is it doesnt matter how many chances you created you just had to get lucky and create the key chances that actually work vs the match engine.

basically the way this match engine is at present, it doesnt matter how many chances you create, its how many of those chances are played in such a way you can score against this match engine, thats how its so random because you can only score a certain way now(cross then goal)so all the ai has to do is create 2 chances down the wing or a cross from a set piece to score, while your creating 30 chances with all different kinds of attacks which hit the corner flag or the cross bar, again totally random.

Arrant nonsense. Particularly the bit in bold.

If you use latin please do so correctly.

Ergo: its 'ad nauseam' but hey i guess alea iacta est.

Errare humanum est, you mean. What dice have to do with that, I don't see it. ;)

Oh and ehh, owned, heh heh. :D

Why are players so stupid when it comes to heading the ball?

It has been like that in FM since I can remember.

Nice and easy for the player to control, no pressure, or even head it out for a throw/ corner.

No, he heads it to the opposition and we concede.

EDIT: Defence being crap and the usual cross - goal.

Defenders in FM have always lacked common sense.

Arrant nonsense. Particularly the bit in bold.

whatever dude go play a game of 2012 right now! you see a large variety of goals scored, 13.2.1 match engine you always see the same crap over and over, they tweaked it to stop so many goals getting scored, most likly by limiting how many ways you get a goal, its broken to hell and if u dont think so then you know nothing of football manager games.