The game is called Football manager...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It lacks a lot of the hype that's overtaken modern football, nobody wants FIFA Manager type bling but much more should be made of manager and club achievements imo.

I know what you mean. Football manager is an amazing game but it need a huge overhaul I think. New regen ideas, perhaps add something regarding grass roots. Actual happiness from your board when you win stuff and not "oh...champions league? well done, carry on because we're robots with no emotions". ect ect.

I'd like to see managers have more personality for example an Ian Holloway type or Mourinho, and we get to choose what kind of character we have or certain attributes!

Or by overhauling the press conference system we can choose these attributes ourselves. Why can't we type what we want in the press conference anyway, foul language could be detected and fines handed out or even bans by the FA.

I'm sick of generic responses which make my character seem like a robot with no soul. I want to show PASSION!. Some teams play to just kick you in FM and I want to be able to say something aggressive about the team and manager and players.

The game should be more about the player, as a manager. The legacy he leaves in football, the players he discovered and nurtured, the trophies he won, the type of play style he used, the personality he had... All these should appear in the game that is called Football Manager.

But it won't happen, so don't hold your breath.

It lacks a lot of the hype that's overtaken modern football, nobody wants FIFA Manager type bling but much more should be made of manager and club achievements imo.

this. Just won 3rd consecutive league title & didn't really bring me any joy. Meh, on to the next season & searching for yet another world class regen striker that's gonna lack first team play cause my team is already packed :(

this. Just won 3rd consecutive league title & didn't really bring me any joy. Meh, on to the next season & searching for yet another world class regen striker that's gonna lack first team play cause my team is already packed :(

Yeah I've pretty much done everything at Real Oviedo. I may move on but it pains me when you do move as the next manager just sells all the amazing players I bought and raised

• Administrators

I agree with this to be honest. I know we have a wishlist, but what in particular would you like to be displayed and how to improve this?

The game should be more about the player, as a manager. The legacy he leaves in football, the players he discovered and nurtured, the trophies he won, the type of play style he used, the personality he had

All valid points - but again how would you like to see it displayed? More specific news items etc? More questions? Ideas here would be welcome. Thanks.

I agree with this to be honest. I know we have a wishlist, but what in particular would you like to be displayed and how to improve this?

All valid points - but again how would you like to see it displayed? More specific news items etc? More questions? Ideas here would be welcome. Thanks.

frankly i think it's a difficult question. whatever news item you display after any accomplishment..it's still only a message in your inbox, that you click past in 2 seconds flat

becoming a club icon is also just a name on a wall..

i think the 'problem' with this game is it's designed to play for a long time (for me anyways, i like playing long term saves rather than challenges), and anything you play for a long time will become repetitive over time..

honestly, i'm not quite sure how you could make the accomplishments more satisfying. Hopefully other users do have specific ideas :)

Wow, thank you for replying.

I guess it would be more an expansion on the profile screen where it shows the managers attributes.

Reputation.

The manager Luis Giordano -my manager name- was a name that legends would regard as a true professional, the likes of Jose Mourinho, Sir Alex Ferguson -these names would change depending on hall of fame manager points- see him as their equal. Giordano's personality is that of friendliness and complete respect for his opposite number, even in defeat he is graceful, even rivals such as Sporting Gijon -My rivals as I'm Real Oviedo- have the upmost respect for the Italian manager.

Financial Control

The wheeling and dealing at the beginning of Giordanos 15 year Los Carbayones adventure -Real Oviedos nickname really structured the teams debt, unfortunately due to financial restriction at the once struggling club many big names and fan favourites had to be sold, however Luis Giordano brought in new and young talent who eventually lit up the world of many of the fans of Real Oviedo.

Having got into the BBVA Oviedo could start spending big, Giordano knew this but still stuck with buying cheap talent, something rare in this modern day football we have now. After retirement Giordano left the club in unbelievable financial state and the Luis Giordano stadium is were the faithful Oviedo fans still stand and cheer in disbelief at what they have become today.

Media handling

Media handling was mostly met by his assissant manager, however any signing that was made, Giordano was at the forefront singing praises for his new captute, something his players loved.

Squad discipline

Despite the praise Giordano received from his peers, he was also recognised as a fair but unforgivable manager. Players who where sent off or missed training would be warned once, they would then be fined and if complained, would likely not stay at the club.

Tactical consistency

Giordano since day one of his Oviedo adventure played 4-2-3-1, the tactics of control and fluid football really suited the players he bought.

Loyalty to players.

Giordano was also loyal to his players, many of his signings stayed until the end of their careers, baring Augustin Barcélo -newgen who was complainingt for a new contract when i could not afford it- whose outbreak out a new contract was the reason he left. Many players have Giordano as a favoured personal of many stars of the game, most notibaly Xavi and Steven Gerrard.

Hands on approach

Luis Giordano was with the player through rain or shine, they would always see him at training every day to greet them, he never took holidays outside of the pre season.

Domestic player bias

Giordano was not very domestically bias to his home country nor was he to Spain. His team consisted for many a year of italians, Spanish, Argentinians, South Africans, English, French, Paraguay, Turkey and Holland. Despite the many nationalities, there was also a huge feeling of proudness and togetherness under Luis Giordano.

There are so many possibilities Si. Obviously a lot of these would change depending on the character you were during your game.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/335048-This-HAS-to-be-changed-SI.-(Cup-victories-as-lesser-teams)?p=8350775#post8350775

This is another thing which lacks...passion.

I have some more ideas that will complement well with the expansion of the profile screen, as I believe only an expansion of profile screen would not help much with the problem.

Style of play

In the editor, there are several style of plays. For example, Wenger would have been known as manager who signs youth players. I would like it to be seen in the profile screen, and also for us.

This makes us to be known for our style.

For example, I almost always field a reserve team in lower important matches. I would like this to be considered by the media and shown.

Manager attributes

It is quite funny that in order to see our attributes, we need to use a Genie Scout. Umm... what?? Also, we start all by all 10 rating, while clearly someone like Cleon and late SFraser have better tactical understanding that I have, and I have much better tactical understanding than my 16 year old sister.

I think it's better to have the attributes, determined by our actions as a manager.

At the start, you may ask some questions, like license for a coaching badge, so that we can start the game with customized attributes.

More everyday decisions

I know you guys don't like FIFA Manager and the implementation of this kind of thing makes the the football management game like... lame?

But on some occassions, like winning FA Cup for league 1 team, we may be asked to host/join the party. Some decisions can be made and it affects our personalities.

Or let's say at the end of season, we are invited to the board meeting and asked about 'what do you plan for next season? What kind of players would you like to buy?'

Depending on your answers, your transfer budget might be set. If you answers unsatisfactorily, the transfer right might be even transfered by the chairman, and we don't have right at any transfer that season.

Well, some of my two cents.

Perhaps after a better than normal season or an unexpected cup win - or successful seasons, your manager profile is shown that shows increases in area of technical expertise, like if you scored a record 92 goals your attacking is increased, and if you conceded very little then your defensive attributes went up.

This could then have an affect within a game, as technically you're better in this area so it should give you better chance of scoring more goals against weaker teams and and better chance of keeping a clean sheet in a tough match.

Of course, vice versa, you could struggle to score if you don't score a lot of goals and you could concede more in a tough match.

Your ability as a manager should affect the outcome of a game.

I'm not really sure how this idea would play out - I know I haven't covered every area and it's a bit thin.

=================

Do managers go on courses?

I ask because people have been looking for a way to spend in-game wages... would it be an idea that you can actually use your wages to go on courses and increase your managerial ability.

An outcome could be say if you wanted to increase your understanding of a formation and perhaps why you're conceding too many goals that there's a tutorial to complete that advises on weak spots within your tactics. Once you complete this you can implement it to your team and it strengthens your teams formation.

Of course it shouldn't be easy to do this and shouldn't be cheap - but it would be a way to spend in-game wages. Plus people would get a better understanding of why tactics don't work.

================

Reckon there should be more emphasis on winning trophies and leagues.

Players lift trophy.

On pitch interviews (players and manager)

Board congratulate you and don't say things like "Concentrate on other things"

Board could offer something to manager for a major win - stadium increase/training facilities/extra transfer funds/extra wage funds/etc. It would be a one time offer and you can only pick one

==================

Ability to criticise the board because of a refusal. Ability to get the fans behind you and pressure the board.

If the fans like you they'll get behind you, if they don't then they might pressure the board to sack you!

==================

Build relationships with other managers - for example Arsne Wenger recommended a player to another team manager (can't remember exactly) but would be cool if a top manager that you got on with was able to recommend some top players that your scouts missed.

This would encourage people to talk about opposition mangers and forge relationships.

==================

I'd also like to see the ability to criticise a player/manager/team etc. if a player etc. injured a player. It should be a news item to criticise them.

Your reaction would forge a relationship with them - good or bad.

==================

Perhaps after a better than normal season or an unexpected cup win - or successful seasons, your manager profile is shown that shows increases in area of technical expertise, like if you scored a record 92 goals your attacking is increased, and if you conceded very little then your defensive attributes went up.

This could then have an affect within a game, as technically you're better in this area so it should give you better chance of scoring more goals against weaker teams and and better chance of keeping a clean sheet in a tough match.

Of course, vice versa, you could struggle to score if you don't score a lot of goals and you could concede more in a tough match.

Your ability as a manager should affect the outcome of a game.

I'm not really sure how this idea would play out - I know I haven't covered every area and it's a bit thin.

=================

Do managers go on courses?

I ask because people have been looking for a way to spend in-game wages... would it be an idea that you can actually use your wages to go on courses and increase your managerial ability.

An outcome could be say if you wanted to increase your understanding of a formation and perhaps why you're conceding too many goals that there's a tutorial to complete that advises on weak spots within your tactics. Once you complete this you can implement it to your team and it strengthens your teams formation.

Of course it shouldn't be easy to do this and shouldn't be cheap - but it would be a way to spend in-game wages. Plus people would get a better understanding of why tactics don't work.

================

Reckon there should be more emphasis on winning trophies and leagues.

Players lift trophy.

On pitch interviews (players and manager)

Board congratulate you and don't say things like "Concentrate on other things"

Board could offer something to manager for a major win - stadium increase/training facilities/extra transfer funds/extra wage funds/etc. It would be a one time offer and you can only pick one

==================

Ability to criticise the board because of a refusal. Ability to get the fans behind you and pressure the board.

If the fans like you they'll get behind you, if they don't then they might pressure the board to sack you!

==================

Build relationships with other managers - for example Arsne Wenger recommended a player to another team manager (can't remember exactly) but would be cool if a top manager that you got on with was able to recommend some top players that your scouts missed.

This would encourage people to talk about opposition mangers and forge relationships.

==================

I'd also like to see the ability to criticise a player/manager/team etc. if a player etc. injured a player. It should be a news item to criticise them.

Your reaction would forge a relationship with them - good or bad.

==================

I don't like the 'perk' idea you have were having higher attacking make you score more goals.

I love the on pitch conferences, but more so the 'getting the fans behind you' that's amazing :D

Make winning a memorable event

Football Manager can be very frustrated when after a hard season you win the league/promotion and all you got are 6 or 7 news in your inbox. It's probably the bigger anti-climax of the whole game.

Because, it's nice to read those kind words saying that the fans love me and all that, but i'll go through the entire season reading news.... when i win something important i want something different. Hell... give me a video or something else... but please.... not more news.

Personality

All the the actors of the game are very well detail. The players have so many different attibutes, even the others managers... but me... the most important person in the game.... i only have... uh... 8 bars to fill and a perfer tactic formation.

I want more, i want tons of attributes likes the others managers, i want a personality that i can define at the begin of the save (and because of that will have different option in the game), in conclusion i want to be the star of my own game

BTW... thank to Neil for the attention given to this thread! :thup:

Make winning a memorable event

Football Manager can be very frustrated when after a hard season you win the league/promotion and all you got are 6 or 7 news in your inbox. It's probably the bigger anti-climax of the whole game.

Because, it's nice to read those kind words saying that the fans love me and all that, but i'll go through the entire season reading news.... when i win something important i want something different. Hell... give me a video or something else... but please.... not more news.

Personality

All the the actors of the game are very well detail. The players have so many different attibutes, even the others managers... but me... the most important person in the game.... i only have... uh... 8 bars to fill and a perfer tactic formation.

I want more, i want tons of attributes likes the others managers, i want a personality that i can define at the begin of the save (and because of that will have different option in the game), in conclusion i want to be the star of my own game

I just hope it wasn't the result of too many Christmas Sherry's and he forgets about this thread :D

Don´t know if this answers the question but it´s pretty unrealistic that when you as a manager sign for a club, then the board only tells you what they want you to do in the season to come. If you are under a contract, then you usually sign for a couple of years IRL. Depending on that, the board should tell you when you sign a new contract with the club you are with or signing for, that the board has a long term plan for the club. Could be like top four finish the first year, and then challenge for the title the next year. That is how it works IRL.

I don't like the 'perk' idea you have were having higher attacking make you score more goals.

It's not even that - it's not a fully fleshed idea.

Just think that if you've made a reputation on scoring lots of goals, then your attacking tactic should have more prowess.

Similarly if you're controlling in the midfield that shows more in the match.

Or better in defence then that's reflected more within a game against stronger teams.

More girth and more determination from top players.

I love the on pitch conferences, but more so the 'getting the fans behind you' that's amazing :D

It would make the game deeper to have a stronger relationship with the fans. Of course fans can turn on you as should players. Scolari at Chelsea, and a few other examples.

It's not even that - it's not a fully fleshed idea.

Just think that if you've made a reputation on scoring lots of goals, then your attacking tactic should have more prowess.

Similarly if you're controlling in the midfield that shows more in the match.

Or better in defence then that's reflected more within a game against stronger teams.

More girth and more determination from top players.

It would make the game deeper to have a stronger relationship with the fans. Of course fans can turn on you as should players. Scolari at Chelsea, and a few other examples.

There are so many things for fans. Matteo for instance.

If you get the sack and the fans loved you, the news would tell you in recent home and away games chants of your name could be heard throughout the terraces. I'd get a lump in my throat :D haha

Yeh Rafa Benitez was constantly sung around Anfield.. it would be a good news item that the fans chanted your name after a good win etc.

Love to see fans call for your head if you sold a star player and things like that. And depending on your relationship with the board they might act on it - either by stopping the sale or firing you.

Yeh Rafa Benitez was constantly sung around Anfield.. it would be a good news item that the fans chanted your name after a good win etc.

Love to see fans call for your head if you sold a star player and things like that. And depending on your relationship with the board they might act on it - either by stopping the sale or firing you.

Or perhaps (if the press conferences allowed it) you could say (and this is from experience in my current save) "Castello, despite being a wonderful and talented football had to be sold as recently injuries have been too close and unfortunately his potential and growth have suffered because of this" Now depending on the fans love for you and the background attributes they have in the FM editor they would either agree fully, be indifferent or want you gone.

This mixed with the board attributes of understanding would then calculate the repercussions of your life at the club.

First thing I do at a club is sell all players that are 3 star potential and below.

Nobody says anything. Not the board. Not the fans. Not the media.

I shouldn't be allowed to transfer list 30 players without some sort of backlash...

Especially with loyal players or players at the club a long time... this all builds into relationships and consequences.

If a manager is at a club a short time then actions against loyal long term players should have greater repercussions.

But if you're a well known manager then your actions might be better received.

First thing I do at a club is sell all players that are 3 star potential and below.

Nobody says anything. Not the board. Not the fans. Not the media.

I shouldn't be allowed to transfer list 30 players without some sort of backlash...

Especially with loyal players or players at the club a long time... this all builds into relationships and consequences.

If a manager is at a club a short time then actions against loyal long term players should have greater repercussions.

But if you're a well known manager then your actions might be better received.

Si should hire us :D lol

I totally agree, especially when it comes to winning something and getting scant praise.

A few days ago I took Liverpool to the Premiership title (in the first season). Well over 20 years since they last won the league, but all I got was a news item saying something like:

"The board always felt a team like Liverpool were capable of winning the league, and we are glad you never let us down..."

Honestly, that's really pathetic. Setting aside the fact it's virtually impossible for Liverpool to win the league in real life this season, it was such a let down. If it happened in real life the board would be having orgasmic heart attacks, and the manager would be festooned upon a golden pedestal for all eternity. But all we get in FM is this "keep celebrations to a minimum and focus on future challenges..." rubbish that feels like a kick in the teeth.

We literally read the sad news item and press "continue" to start the new season. Would be nice to even have a kind of virtual trophy room to wander around or something like that.

A little 3D avatar of ourselves that runs around near the bench reacting to the play based on attributes generated by your interaction with press and players.

For example, I rarely talk to the press, and when I talk to players it's always calm, so my avatar would be Sven-like on the touchline.

I'd add some things like in the game New Star Soccer. What's the point in me signing a contract for X, but I never get to play with it. I think it's safe to say that SI has nailed the manager aspect, but I think the game is ready for a revolutionary evolution to the next level, instead of baby steps towards... Whatever the team is trying for. Time to hire more employees and add some flesh to our managers, they are after all characters in these worlds we've all become part of.

Some people have written great stories about their personas in-game, I'd love to see some come to happen. If we're spending 20 in game years playing, we must do something other than scout, choose line ups, speak calmly and watch from the sidelines.

I had a couple ideas:

Portfolio

1. There should be more depth on our own manager page (as mentioned above), but what if this were carried a bit further so that as you manage you develop a sort of portfolio of accomplishments, good moments, and bad moments?

- The portfolio could be exportable so you could look through it long after your game was finished or send it to a friend to show off.

- Include top team match moments from each year as a video or series of videos.

- Various pages including nice and geeky statistics of all sorts about how amazing you are (league position, unbeaten runs, defense, etc..).

- Could include a trophy cabinet of sorts, in a nice tasteful style listing your accomplishments.

- Could have pages for each of your best-ever players which could be a souped-up version of their biography under your tutelage. These pages could also include PKM clips of these players best moments.

- And least popularly I imagine, the portfolio could be in a slightly different visual style to the rest of FM, as if it were an actual book from your office.

The last idea comes from fond memories of Tropico 2 and other games wherein the nexus for important statistics takes place in your virtual office with virtual books. I think it would serve a nice UI purpose in giving the user a little room to step back from the game and review their progress.

See here for an example of a virtual book of statistics.

The last idea leads to my other idea along these lines: An office!

Office

2. Office: I think that if done simply and in the FM minimalist style it could be really nifty and address the thing we're discussing: Feeling central and important and like you exist in the game.

- Desk for your portfolio and other links, including inbox, reports, etc..

- Walls for various coaching qualifications and awards. (and a TV?)

- The office could be simply an alternate interface to the game which would basically change nothing other than giving you a bit of distance from spreadsheet-vision of looking at "regular FM" for long hours.

I gotta agree with the OP, as a person who's played this since its first public version, I am actually quite disappointed how its always failed to hold my attention after 5 seasons. There are so many areas that need a look at and what's especially annoying is how much of this is a rehash. Gotta give SI credit where its due though, this is probably the only game in the world where users get such a big say in game design. Truly this is a fans game.

Despite the positives, its failed to immerse me fully from a first person pov. There is hardly any recognition of your exploits as a successful manager, especially if you manage multiple consecutive promotions, or even if you are a traveling Mourinho bringing cups and glory in your career with different clubs.

Interviews are great, but repetitive, so why not have varied ones where you get hounded by the press on how you've developed, it can be a simple matter of having one newspaper or a few chronicling your success, keeping track of your systems, tactics and your players. I've won the divisional manager award each year in every league but at no time has another manager recognized these achievements or even commented on how much they relish the challenge of pitting wits against me. And this is just one facet of immersion that's lacking there's more.

One of the biggest criticisms I can level at this game is that its way too easy to beat. You can get success with a bunch of 17 year olds? Maybe one or two but a squad of 24? Why doesn't the game recognize then that one is a wunderbar manager of prodgious teenage talent, and then poach you for national under 19 sides?

The lack of ambition by the AI manager is disturbing. I want the AI manager to throw everything at me to beat me, including striker-less formations, at the moment this is a tactical exploit. I would like to see the AI even attempt to copy my system and recognize that its a novel way to play the game. After Spain and Barca started playing their way, even United and City are attempting to replicate their style.

Having achievements on the Steam page is fine and dandy, but because its not within the actual game experience it stands alone and outside the realm of my immersion.

The training module is an interesting module, but why not expand it further by creating cultures of development. Standard Liege in Belgium are quickly becoming the focal point for football development WORLDWIDE, countries are queuing up just to ensure they have people getting the opportunity to learn from them. Their focus on cognitive development is being recognized as the future of youth training. If I as a manager can develop a whole generation of great strikers, then I want clubs to want their players to come on loan with us. My training system develops players into the kind that can play multiple roles, so why doesn't the game recognize that perhaps this club has a novel training approach?

What I suggest doesn't require match engine coding, it requires storyboading and scripting, it may take time but it shouldn't take 7 years. The failure to increase the immersion value of the game is the only reason why I always step back after the feb update is done. By then the game usually loses its lustre.

Even a graphical trophy cabinet would be nice to have

I wasn't too fussed about the 'manager dot' a while ago, but this is called Football Manager, yet you never see him. For a game that pride itself on realism, everyone but the manager is at the matches. Now I seriously can't understand why this isn't included.

The create manager start screen could have something similar to FIFA13, once you have input your details you choose what colour tone skin you want, hair colour and 'suit colour', or track suit (could change colour when at different clubs (club colours)).

Then when playing 3D matches you will see managers on the touch line. The animations are already there, eg. Head in hands, arguing with ref (angry at players), so on. Maybe one day the assistant and relevant coaches will be on the bench. Maybe include multiple tier benches at top clubs.

Im not asking for the FIFA manager tosh, but seriously though, we have camera men and physios, yet the manager never turns up??

I agree with what other people have stated, the manager profile and engagement level is very lifeless. I think most of us are sick with achieving greatness and being told to just keep a lid on celebrations. There should be an array of congratulation messages, not just the same ones.

I still would like an overhaul of the Manager profile. Favoured personal would be great, as they are already present if you use a 3rd party editor to view them (Unless that's changed since FM08).

Personality

Yup, that is what is missing. Personality for you (and the AI Managers)

There are over 30+ different personalities for players. How about doing the same for both us & the AI Managers? Dependant on what type of personality you have, you will naturally have players that graduate towards and away from you. Following on from that, the choice of answers you can select in interviews would differ dependant on what type of personality you have. Be a jovial type Manager, you will get one set of answers to a question, be an outspoken Manager, and the set would be completely different. The repercussions of the answers could then flow on to players, the fans and the Board. A conversational remark for example could cause a story arc that continues for a number of weeks. There would be no "Negative" personalities. All would have advantages/disadvantages. Team talks could also be need to be made much more diverse like the Manager interviews, instead of the cookie cutter replies you have now. Player reactions would be more dependant on what personality you are.

Yup, that is what is missing. Personality for you (and the AI Managers)

There are over 30+ different personalities for players. How about doing the same for both us & the AI Managers? Dependant on what type of personality you have, you will naturally have players that graduate towards and away from you. Following on from that, the choice of answers you can select in interviews would differ dependant on what type of personality you have. Be a jovial type Manager, you will get one set of answers to a question, be an outspoken Manager, and the set would be completely different. The repercussions of the answers could then flow on to players, the fans and the Board. A conversational remark for example could cause a story arc that continues for a number of weeks. There would be no "Negative" personalities. All would have advantages/disadvantages. Team talks could also be need to be made much more diverse like the Manager interviews, instead of the cookie cutter replies you have now. Player reactions would be more dependant on what personality you are.

I agree with the above, there is no sense of development as a manager, no sense of accomplishment.

Isn't one of the biggest goals of this game to become one of the greatest managers? Then it requires more then 'you are now one of the greatest managers'

It might have sufficed in 2010, be bland in 2011, annoying in 2012 and downright boring in 2013.

I believe some people are leaving the game because of it.

I'm glad that this thread is getting some attention - Kudos to the OP and to Neil for taking an interest.

I've posted about this on various threads since the beta, but here's my input:

Press conferences:

The new tone system is a cosmetic waste of time. It has no purpose other than a line of text in the media summary of your press conferences.

A lot more could be made of this.

For example, if you get beat heavily and you're calm, the fans might not like that. If there's a bad tackle and you respond aggressively, the fans might back you but the board might not.

At the minute if you say that a bad refereeing decision was out of line (and you're right) the FA remain silent. So what? At the minute you could coast through the game never ever criticising anyone and there's no positive/negatives (apart from avoiding fines and bans). IRL the fans would want you to be saying the referee was a shambles (but the board wouldn't). This needs to have much more effect on how you're perceived by the outside world rather than a laborious exercise that gets given to the Assistant Manager.

Personality in general

Agree with some of the previous posters who have suggested setting up a manager personality profile prior to starting a game. This could affect conversation options and how you approach interactions with staff/media/players. For example, if you're outspoken, its less likely that you'll 'have nothing to say' or if you're hot headed, less likely that you'll backdown in confrontational situations.

Manager Development

Managers, like all professionals develop over time. Why not impliment a system where manager stats (which we can see!!) increase/decrease over time depending on how we play the game? We have coaching qualifications in the game now (which I applaud) but our managers never ever get any 'better' in a visible way. Sure, there might be code in the background that increases team talk effectiveness and player performance when we've played a few seasons, but what does that matter if we can't see it and get immersed in our own development?

Better interaction all-round:

Again, personality could affect how you interact with the board, staff and players. It would be nice to be able to sit down with a player and say 'You're off form - what's the matter?' or to call your staff in and just go 'How's things, guys?'. I know the backroom advice screen is meant to do this, but lets be honest, half of the advice you're given in backroom advice is absolute tosh anyway.

Applying for other jobs:

Depending on your stats, you should be able to apply for a job at another club and have it kept secret. Perhaps some sort of media handling stat? The fact that all job applications are automatically in the public arena ATM just isn't realistic.

If people have played games like Fallout, they'll know that you get a certain amount of 'points' to allocate to your skills pre-game. This could be adopted in FM so you can deliberately bias your abilities to how you want to play. For example, you could make yourself a great man-manager but not so hot at press conferences etc - This could affect the number and range of options you have in interactions. Obviously there would have to be a minimum level for each ability (depending on your starting league) but it gives people more freedom. I want to be able to set up my game so I can talk to my players and leave press conferences to my assistant manager, but at the minute its a given that I do that anyway because that's how the game is built.

If I think of more, I'll come back - but it will be interesting to see what comes off the back of this thread and in what sort of timescale.

I agree on the users having personality in game would make the game more dynamic and fun, but I don't want to create a profile, not because of filling the screen of our personality. I want the game itself to develop what is our type of personality as save game progresses. Here's why.

When an unknown manager comes to an important job the media and the general public, doesn't know much about that said manager. It would be interesting as the save game progresses, we create our personality.

I'd like a bit more immersive feel to being a manager, so my suggestion is a bit more cosmetic rather than having any real impact in the game-world.

Basically...

A Human Manager History

Nearly every AI manager in FM has a background history to some degree. The only manager that doesn't is the human manager.

When creating your manager profile, I propose an option to automatically generate a 'history' for your manager. It can be totally random or tailor-made by the user via drop down boxes listing clubs, years, and stats.

The history will list all the clubs you played for as a pro, your appearances & goals, and depending on what rep you choose, your international stats too.

Now when you start your game the teams you played for automatically become your "favorites" and these clubs would act as they do in the current game (i.e. you have more chance of being successful when applying for a job at a club you once played for)... Henning Berg at Blackburn for example.

Currently in FM we can only chose our starting rep and favorite team. I know its a game but its not very realistic for a Mr Nobody to walk into the Barcelona job. So for those who like realism, having a manager background (like most AI managers have) would add something to the immersion. And because its optional, those who aren't bothered with this kind of thing need not tick the "generate history" option on their manager profile setup.

As far as 3D goes, the manager should be running up and down the technical area like a looney during matches. We have fans, cameramen, and photographers now - but still no 3D manager!

i like the idea of picking a (style of) character at the start of the game (even a short 'manager exam' as mentionned somewhere above.. i recall playing a manager game on ps2 that actually included that.)

& developping your character over time. Imagine getting XP points for league wins, cup/CL success ..

for me that would hugely improve the game, more than any text messages you could get or that would be displayed on an information screen. But as this almost shifts the game genre from sim to rpg, i don't think it will happen :(

I still think many of the problems listed here come down to the lack of personality or human quality in the NPCs as opposed to the manager. I think we would feel a lot more involved as a football manager within the game if those areas were improved as opposed to creating quirks about your management history, style, achievements or pre-set personalities etc.

This game should focus on helping the player to create their own stories and their own approach to managing people.

What about focusing on stuff like:

Expand/split morale

1.Could be split into Motivation, Confidence and Happiness. each of these would be indicated by coloured arrows as opposed to the text on their information screen.

This would mean that a coach will have to look at how each player responds to certain circumstances for each category.

Examples of use:

A player may become more motivated but take a hit on his confidence when we give him a hard time for his recent performances.

Some players may have bags of confidence which rarely needs managing but a great deal of effort will be required to keep their happiness and motivations in check.

Different players will require different motivational techniques. Some may be easily managed with monetary rewards such as competition bonuses, whilst other may require praise or constant pushing.

2. Breathe some life into the players by occasionally having random events occur in their personal lives.

Examples of use:

A player is having a child and may miss a match but his happiness is temporarily boosted

The player is going through a rough patch which has damaged his confidence but given him a new motivation to succeed.

Press Conferences

1. Take a couple of players along to pre-match press conferences and send out a couple of players for post match questioning prior to your own questions.

Examples of use:

Sending out my captain and man of the match after thumping our rivals. Later i am asked a question to determine if i agree with how they had responded to a journalists question.

A key player who enjoys the spot light comes along to a pre match conference in an attempt to raise his happiness a little and give the media something different to write about.

2. Allow you to pro-actively raise your own points as opposed to purely answering questions.

Examples of use:

Rather than agreeing that my match winning player was playing at the top his game i instead pick out the performance of my youth player whom had shown a mature performance.

Despite winning i want to highlight that i wasn't happy with a specific aspect of a players game. Perhaps i draw attention to the booking or number of fouls that my DM made.

I decide to thank the fans for really getting behind the team and making our ground a noisy nightmare for the opposition. This would perhaps give our fans confidence a boost.

3. More media

Give the different media organisations and their journalists more personality by providing more news articles.

Examples of use:

Each press conference results in multiple articles from different papers. Several papers may have highlighted the positive remarks i made but one journalist twisted my words for a negative spin.

Opinions and relationships

1. Indicate how every player currently feels about you as a manager on the player information screen.

Examples of use:

"feels you are out of your depth" - might cause a player to give back chat during team talks or question your tactics during press interviews

"is afraid of you" - unlikely to speak up during team talks or come to you to chat about their issues. May panic when they aren't performing well

"Feels you get the best out of him" - trusts your decisions on where,how and when to play him.

2. Player reactions to their preferences and roles.

Examples of use:

A player may be capable at several roles but specifically prefers one and might react badly to playing other roles for long periods of time.

A player who is instructed to play in ways that doesn't correspond to their preferred moves may react negatively . So a player whom is skilled at dribbling but often told not to run with the ball may feel become disgruntled.

3. More Staff/player relationships should occur since they spend plenty of time together

Examples of use:

Players may get on really well with a particular coach giving a small benefit. This would tie in with player/staff personalities

Team Talks

1. Team talks could be a combination of the team meeting feature and the player conversations.

Examples of use:

A manager may look for player feedback and discussion during as part of his team talk.

Telling the team they had better improve in the second half might cause one player to not only feel unfairly treated but actually bring it up.

Ability to directly threaten a player with the drop or transfer listing them if he doesn't turn it around.

2. Have x amount of actions to use to give the impression of the limited amount of time you have at half time but allow you to go on longer before and after the match if you wish.

Examples of use:

I decide to give the players 5 minutes to simmer down in silence before addressing them at half time. This might help them calm down but will give you less time to make an impact with your words

A player reacts negatively to my first statement causing an argument that winds up wasting all the time i planned on using to address the full squad.

I keep the players in longer after the match to hammer them for their poor performance. I choose when to end the conversation but the longer i go on the less likely they may be to listen or take aboard what has been said.

Winning/Losing finals

Try to reflect the on pitch celebrations by tying the team talks and press conference elements into a special event.

Examples of use:

You can approach players of your choice to praise them for their performance, thank them for their commitment that year or tell them this is just the beginning.

Get stopped by random journalists for quick questions, sometimes alongside a player.

Have a word with the club owner or board members

They can't even fix a simple bugs and you people are here wishing for this to happen OH please!!!!!!!!!

yes, not giving any feedback as a community what could be improved is a sure way to get things improved, you're right :applause:

i'm glad you made an account on here so we may now all benefit from your lovely & constructive insights. please, tell me more.

I'd like a bit more immersive feel to being a manager, so my suggestion is a bit more cosmetic rather than having any real impact in the game-world.

Basically...

A Human Manager History

Nearly every AI manager in FM has a background history to some degree. The only manager that doesn't is the human manager.

When creating your manager profile, I propose an option to automatically generate a 'history' for your manager. It can be totally random or tailor-made by the user via drop down boxes listing clubs, years, and stats.

The history will list all the clubs you played for as a pro, your appearances & goals, and depending on what rep you choose, your international stats too.

Now when you start your game the teams you played for automatically become your "favorites" and these clubs would act as they do in the current game (i.e. you have more chance of being successful when applying for a job at a club you once played for)... Henning Berg at Blackburn for example.

Currently in FM we can only chose our starting rep and favorite team. I know its a game but its not very realistic for a Mr Nobody to walk into the Barcelona job. So for those who like realism, having a manager background (like most AI managers have) would add something to the immersion. And because its optional, those who aren't bothered with this kind of thing need not tick the "generate history" option on their manager profile setup.

As far as 3D goes, the manager should be running up and down the technical area like a looney during matches. We have fans, cameramen, and photographers now - but still no 3D manager!

I like these ideas.

The manager on the touchline would be a nice feature, when you use shouts you should see your manager get up and shout at the players. The ability to have a word with the 4th official would be interesting too, or perhaps standing next to him and tapping your watch when in stoppage time!

Archived