Football Manager 2014 "LIVE" Data Update

We have to manually approve all changes people submit. We'll check against news websites, transfermarkt etc.

The site also detects if someone has already submitted the same change, so it doesn't cause any problems with duplicate entries.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turn them on in the game. Easy to find :)

I'm updating the forms today/over the weekend so it'll auto-fill the fields based on what you type. So if you start to type in a team name and you select it from the drop down as you type it'll fill in the full name and ID for you. This will only work for players/staff/clubs that we've got information for however.

We're trying to keep it as simple as possible for people to submit things. So the less work they have to do, the more likely they will submit something.

The Free Agent option will release a player (it'll only show current club name/id fields). I'll make this a bit more obvious though :thup:

Two questions - first, what if I have no idea about the wages a player will be receiving at this new club, do I just estimate what would be realistic? And second, if a player's transfer went through in January, do I put the contract start date as though the transfer would have gone through in the summer window?

• 2 months later...
We all appreciate the hard work that goes into FM Data Updates. I know from speaking to some people on here and other sites the amount of hours that are put in almost every day to make sure nothing is missed. I feel though, that it's time we set these people free and allowed them to enjoy the game more by proposing that we collectively create a data update using hundreds, perhaps thousands of people like ourselves to maintain it.

I've been working on a web-based tool that allows ANYONE to help create a data update. You don't need any editor knowledge, you don't need webspace to host your changes, or email it to me etc. etc. It's all done as a form on a website. All you need to do is turn on ID's in your game.

It's going to offer 5 different options for you to update:

Transfer - This is player and/or staff. You can set them as a free agent, transfer to another club, or move a player on loan.

Contracts - Update contracts for staff/players

Positions - Alter player position attributes (1-20) for all positions (GK, AML, ST, WB etc.)

Injuries - Add injuries to players

Bans - Add bans to players

Staff Roles - Change staff roles (make a person Manager, Chairman, U23 GK Coach etc.)

Once the change has been submitted, it gets verified and is then INSTANTLY available in the data update. The update doesn't get released once a month, fortnightly or whatever. It's constantly updated and the updated file is what you end up downloading - even if a change was approved 5 seconds ago, it'll appear in your download.

Here's the process:

1. Select the type of update you want to perform

H2TwG.png

2. Fill out the form (in this instance, place a player on loan)

ydUEV.png

3. See your changes in our LIVE changelist

WKCbL.png

It's so simple this should have been done a LONG time ago. Here's where you guys come in though. I need people who are interested in updating the game, not just for themselves, but for everyone. The tool is almost complete, and once/if SI release their own data update, this will be up and running to build on top of that. If you're interested in helping out with this, let me know in here.

Cheers guys :)

Hi Caley,

I've been updating FM as long as I can remember. I did it for my own games, contributed any soccer news I could find to almost every major update topic (Weegie, Forbsie's, etc) in these forums, created an "semi official update topic" and am now part of the Weegie team as a scout. I know what a lot of work updating is. So I find this is a very very good idea.

And can one really choose what changes are downloaded? So if I only want transfers, because I use a superleague, or only want promotions/relegations, because I do my own transfers, that would be possible? If so: Wow. Great!

What will happen if 20+ people will make the same transfer in the database? Or if 20+ people are editing at the same time? Will it get corrupt, or is there a failsave?

This could be one of the best ideas contributing to the update community ever. :):thup:

• 5 months later...

I'm bumping this up as the tool will have it's own dedicated website now.

It'll work exactly the same as the opening post describes. Anyone can submit changes, all you need is a Steam account (prevents abuse) and anyone can download it (there is no restriction in what you download, you'll ALWAYS get the latest update).

BWN_ZoBCUAA1XoY.png:large

There are now over 50 data changes ready for download. Thanks to everyone who has submitted stuff so far.

If you want to see what is included in the update, click the big number in the middle of the site, it'll then filter changes by club (you can select by type if you prefer).

All English club loan signings for this month are included.

Thanks flogside, I'll be looking into additional download options over the next week or so. It'll mean you can leave out loans, or injuries, or changes to stats or whatever you like. You'll get to select what type of update you download.

halil85 - I apologise, it wasn't clear in your post. I thought you were saying Bastia (Italy) was wrong. I'll amend the update.

Freyyr - The editor uses an XML file, I just created the XML file using a website, and web forms in place of the editors own input fields. it took a little research how to do it, but the entire thing is web based. The only thing the game or the editor is used for is to get ID's if the site doesn't already have them.

halil85 - I apologise, it wasn't clear in your post. I thought you were saying Bastia (Italy) was wrong. I'll amend the update.

Yes it is true you did it right, thank you

Kalu Uche is Kasimpasa player in the game but tranfer to El-Jaish Sports Club ( Qatar ) 01.10.2013

It crossed my mind too Alan, however as the website itself is at an early stage, using the BETA period of the game in order to test the website seemed a good idea.

There's also the fact that there are no other updates available apart from on the website, so it's giving it some great exposure as people are linking to and discussing it. It needs people to visit so they may contribute - after all, the idea of the site is that it shares the burden of creating updates. The BETA period is the ideal time to raise awareness of the site.

I'll see, it could well be that some things are missed when the final game is released, so the update as it stands might still be worth leaving intact, and building upon. If there are duplicate entries I'd assume the game would ignore them anyway.

BUT, as it's all web based, I can add the option to ignore pre-BETA updates if people want that facility.

There will be someone outlier who abuses this consistently, then data will be changed?

for example, he makes the transfer of ronaldo from real madrid to olympiakos, and we created a new game with that database. What could we do then?

There will be someone outlier who abuses this consistently, then data will be changed?

for example, he makes the transfer of ronaldo from real madrid to olympiakos, and we created a new game with that database. What could we do then?

From my understanding, the changes need to be manually accepted before going onto the downloadable database, obviously the people who "approve" updates will look for a source to say X player has moved, if one isn't found then the change won't be approved.

As JL94x4 says, what happens is that I need to approve the change. If I can not find evidence of the change online, then it gets rejected.

If people abuse the system and waste my time by submitting false information, then I can block them from doing so due to everyone needing to login via Steam to submit anything.

My only concern is, what happens if there is an immediate flood of activity, for example in January, and 2,000 changes need approving within 3-4 hours, would one person be able to manage that or will you need to get more people on board to help?

We've now got filters in place, so you can now pick and choose what type of changes you want included in the download.

All you need to do is click the big down arrow on the download button, select what you want/don't want, then hit Download.

Of course, I would recommend that you select Contracts when you choose Transfers. The update will work without it, but won't be as accurate.

Archived