Sports Interactive Community
marsbar06

A tax on the more casual user?

I had a thread closed about this yesterday, not altogether sure why as i'm only referring to FM Classic and thought this was a seperate Forum, here goes again.

It strikes me that Si with this game are placing a tax on the more casual player. My reasoning is that FM Classic is from what I understand made for people like myself who can't dedicate the time they used to to the game. This is all well and good, but the unlockables you have the option of purchasing are cheeky. My example is that I have always played with attribute masking off, and I want to do this in the new FMC, but it seems I have to start off by paying for the privilege which I think is wrong. I'm not talking here about transfer budget boosts and non work permit leniency which was never available (unless you edited), this is something that was previously available and now you have to pay for.. To me it is exploitation.

Before people jump in to say 'you don't need to buy them' or 'you can achieve them' are missing the point completely, as I don't have the time to achieve i'm sure and just want to play the watered down version the way I used to play FM12.

I suppose when I get the game (when it's fixed), I will have to play full fat with ass man doing chores for me (or do you have to pay extra for that now??!)

You have a valid point about attribute masking and I agree that it should be an option from the start, without paying for it or earning it. However, you don't understand the word 'exploitation' and that kind of overreaction is what derails any attempt at decent debate.

There is a simple workaround - scout any player for whom you want to see full attributes. The scouting process is pretty quick in FMC, so the attribute masking is not that big a hindrance.

Actually nothing in FMC was previously available to you without the need for unlocks as FMC has never been previously available to you.

It's an entirely separate and new game mode aimed at a different audience to the regular FM career mode.

Ackter, now you are just being pedantic, hopefully you have worked out the point I am making.

It is a entirely seperate game, hence I have more interest in this game than full fat due to time constraints, family etc. However I feel selling 'no attribute masking' is not fair to someone who has limited time and would like to play the new game (FMC) in the same way that they did in all the previous versions.

Playmaker - Point taken and thanks for the advice re scouting.

Ackter, now you are just being pedantic, hopefully you have worked out the point I am making.

It is a entirely seperate game, hence I have more interest in this game than full fat due to time constraints, family etc. However I feel selling 'no attribute masking' is not fair to someone who has limited time and would like to play the new game (FMC) in the same way that they did in all the previous versions.

Playmaker - Point taken and thanks for the advice re scouting.

Ackter isn't being pedantic at all. FMC, and Challenge modes are new modes, and as such they are designed differently, for different markets. We made a lot of changes in FMC - some which people like, and some which people don't. Saying that, we are taking all constructive criticism on board and we very much welcome that. Things could change in future versions.

Regarding your specific issue, we were aware that the unlockable may be initially something people don't want so we made this relatively easy to achieve. Alternatively, you can purchase this instead. If you don't wish to have either, then you can scout players which is vastly accelerated in FMC compared to FM 'full mode'. I would encourage you to actually play FMC first before making sweeping statements such as 'a tax', exploitation and complaining that it is unfair. I think you'll find it is very enjoyable, and if you still feel it is not for you, you can achieve a lot with what you are looking for in FM 'full fat' mode with the staff responsibilities to take time off your hands - and you can turn off attribute masking as well if you want to.

Thanks Lucas, maybe the point I was making wasn't clear to see initially. All the other unlockables i'm fine with, it is just that one which irks me. As for sweeping statements I will try to keep them to myself in future, hopefully I shall be happy with the solutions that have been suggested when I play this over xmas.

If you started a game as Barcelona (or Real Madrid or any other top team for that matter) and holidayed to the end then of the season I'd say you had a decent chance of one of your players winning the Player of the Year award to allow you to see every players attributes. This will require little to no effort from you whatsoever. It was the first thing from the store that I unlocked for free and I did it in less than a handful of hours. It really isn't a tax.

I had a thread closed about this yesterday, not altogether sure why as i'm only referring to FM Classic and thought this was a seperate Forum, here goes again.

It strikes me that Si with this game are placing a tax on the more casual player. My reasoning is that FM Classic is from what I understand made for people like myself who can't dedicate the time they used to to the game. This is all well and good, but the unlockables you have the option of purchasing are cheeky. My example is that I have always played with attribute masking off, and I want to do this in the new FMC, but it seems I have to start off by paying for the privilege which I think is wrong. I'm not talking here about transfer budget boosts and non work permit leniency which was never available (unless you edited), this is something that was previously available and now you have to pay for.. To me it is exploitation.

Before people jump in to say 'you don't need to buy them' or 'you can achieve them' are missing the point completely, as I don't have the time to achieve i'm sure and just want to play the watered down version the way I used to play FM12.

I suppose when I get the game (when it's fixed), I will have to play full fat with ass man doing chores for me (or do you have to pay extra for that now??!)

Totally agree RE attribute masking but it seems it was due to SI making an error of judgement over player preferences rather than blatant profiteering.

Thanks for your suggestions re holidaying through a season although I wouldn't normally manage a big team but could do in the background.

Yeah, in hindsight maybe it was also an error in judgment on my behalf being so sensationalist.

Kudos guys, will get to work.