The Commentators Curse: Volume 1 – The Battle of the ‘stans’ (Holiday / Sign Up

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats a great wim for the turks.surely i must have a case for starting more games because i allways seem to make an impact when i am on. the next sign up sounds intriguing and im looking forward to it starting

Great win for the Turkmeni! Probably hardest match in the group and taking a win from Australia will be a good step in qualifying for the next round. 3-1 also means that the vital goal difference stat is looking good just in case.

btw, 12 vs 18 shots on goal... Must've been a fun game to watch!

Asian Nations Cup 2011 Results

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Group A

Kuwait 0 v 1 China

South Korea 1 v 1 Qatar

Group A Table (2/3 games):

Q. China +4 6

2. South Korea +1 4

----------------------

3. Qatar -3 1

4. Kuwait -2 0

Group C

Oman 1 v 1 North Korea

Bahrain 1 v 0 U.A.E.

Group C Table (2/3 games):

Q. Bahrain +4 6

2. U.A.E. 0 3

----------------------

3. Oman -1 1

4. North Korea -3 1

</pre>

Czech Rep

1) Slater

2) Masters66

3)Follow the blind

4)

Greece

1) Benjaminoo

2) Cookie15

3)

4)

Ireland

1)Elf_30

2)

3)

4)

Switzerland

1)Freelinet

2)Eldereth

3)

4)

Ukraine

1) wisla_krakow

2) scott1990

3) Blackcats

4)

Wales

1) TeeWee

2) The Golden boy

3) SJ234

4)

Japan v Kyrgyzstan

Fri 22nd July: Asian Nations Cup 2011 group Stage

Pre Match Line Up

It’s the same starting side for Kyrgyzstan as the one that faced Uzbekistan, with Alan as key man and captain. On the bench is Lui, Freealdinho + Halali.

My Opinion

A tougher game this for Kyrgyzstan, but a win would pretty much guarantee a palce in the Q-Finals. I think they might just snatch a win as well.

2nd minute of the game and Birkinaldo picks up a yellow card for a push. He’s got a long way to last in the game now on a yellow card.

A lacklustre start to the match, with no teams posing a real threat on goal in the first half hour. Kyrgyzstan ahd a few shots, but all miles off target.

Alan has the first real shot on goal, forcing a good save out of the keeper from a tight angle after 32 minutes.

HT: Japan 0 v 0 Kyrgyzstan

Half Time Stats

The game gets a goal that could bring it to life after 48 minutes. The Japanese right back makes a complete hash of a clearance and Alan is there to pounce and smacks the ball home with glee from 6 yards out. 0-1.

Azeryk is then replaced by Halali as Kyrgyzstan change to a more defensive formation.

Alan + Gary McNeil link up and make a good one-two, resulting in Alan firing a shot straight at the keeper.

McNeil is subbed after 64 minutes.

Japan get their equaliser after 69 minutes and a soft one it is. Japan play a short corner and the resultant cross in the box goes too close to the goal. That is until David Frketic at the near post decides to miss-hits the clearance into his own net. 1-1.

Halali runs down the left, plays the ball inside to Alan who curls the ball towards the top corner but the ball goes just over the bar.

Mick Bubble is subbed after 77 minutes.

In a rare forward foray Japan attack down the right wing before putting in a delightful cross that is met by the head of Takahara. Fortunately it is straight at Elfdog, who tips the ball over the bar.

FT: Japan 1 v 1 Kyrgyzstan

Match Overview

Player Stats

Japan are fortunate to get anything out of this game and Kyrgyzstan failed to take their chances and book themselves for certain a place in the next round.

Gary McNeil gets the MOM award for the 2nd game in a row.

Other Group B Result: Uzbekistan 1 v 1 Iran

Group B Table (2/3 games):

1. Kyrgyzstan +3 4

2. Iran 0 2

---------------------

3. Japan 0 2

4. Uzbekistan -3 0

</pre>

This means that Kyrgyzstan only needs a draw in their final game against Iran to qualify for the next round.

Czech Rep

1) Slater

2) Masters66

3)Follow the blind

4)

Greece

1) Benjaminoo

2) Cookie15

3)

4)

Ireland

1)Elf_30

2)

3)

4)

Switzerland

1)Freelinet

2)Eldereth

3)

4)

Ukraine

1) wisla_krakow

2) scott1990

3) Blackcats

4) birdy123

Wales

1) TeeWee

2) The Golden boy

3) SJ234

4)

Saudi Arabia v Turkmenistan

Sat 23rd July: Asian Nations Cup 2011 Group Stage

Pre Match Line Up

With Hermandinho back from suspension he is the only change in the starting line up, as Turkmenistan now field 9 superstars in their starting line up. The captain is Selim Atas and the key man is Samaras Taraldo. On the bench are Alvaro De Santiago, Humphrey Koppers, Luke Swinson, Ulfinus Chaoconov, Marcus Cook + Peter Slater.

My Opinion

Saudi Arabia are lining up 4-1-4-1 so won’t be easy to break down, but I think Turkmenistan to just shade this one and to qualify for the next round.

Turkmenistan almost take the lead within a minute of play, Selim Atas firing over when one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

Saudi Arabia almost take a fluke lead when a overhit cross from deep on the right finds itself towards goal until Rhys Davies tips the ball over the bar.

The crowd waited 16 minutes, but Turkmenistan have their first goal. Atas slipping the ball onto Gonzalez who takes it in his path before placing it in the bottom corner past the keeper from a central position. 0-1.

Rhys Davies pulls off a great save to his left just when it looked that Saudi Arabia had unlocked the Turkmenistan defence with a reverse pass through ball.

Rhys Davies is called into action again just as half time comes around, palming a shot out leaving Libertinho to hack the ball clear.

HT: Saudi Arabia 0 v 1 Turkmenistan

Half Time Stats

Saudi Arabia are knocking on the door for an equaliser and Turkmenistan will have to wake up in the second half.

Well I wasn’t expecting that. Turkmenistan double their lead after 54 minutes, Ghoolbi Dumats floating a 25 yard freekick into the top left corner of the goal. Fantastic freekick and that’s his first ever goal for Turkmenistan. Just what the doc ordered as well, 0-2.

Saudi Arabia then make sure the Turkmenistan don’t fall to sleep, hitting the side netting within 10 seconds of the restart.

They were making enough noise and eventuall it came. Saudi Arabia with a freekick on the left wing which is floated to the back post where it is headed in. 1-2 and an hour gone.

Taraldo picks up a yellow card for a foul.

After 69 minutes a double substitution. Peter Slater + Koppers on for a non-superstar and Gareth Davies.

Atas barges his way through the centre of 2 defenders before making the keeper produce a fingertip save to deny him.

Swinson comes on for Libertinho after 78 minutes.

6 minutes to go and Dumats gives away a foul in a dangerous position 20 yards out and fairly central. He receives a yellow card for that and has Rhys Davies to thank for another good save, this time to his right to deny the Saudis an equaliser.

Again it’s Rhys Davies to the rescue. Taraldo takes a terrible touch in his own box and the Saudi striker pounces only to be again denied by the flying keeper.

Slater almost scores with a glancing header in injury time from a freekick near the corner flag.

Turkmenistan desperately defend the final few moments, booting the ball anywhere that is relatively safe.

FT: Saudi Arabia 1 v 2 Turkmenistan

Match Overview

Player Stats

Rhys Davies unsurprisingly gets the MOM award for a heroic effort in the Turkmeni goal.

Other Group D Result: Australia 5 v 1 Indonesia

Group D Table (2/3 games):

Q. Turkmenistan +3 6

2. Australia +2 3

-----------------------

3. Saudi Arabia +1 3

4. Indonesia -6 0

</pre>

Turkmenistan have qualified for the knockout stages as with Australia v Saudi Arabia in the last round of matches, it is not possible for Turkmenistan to not qualify. Also with Indonesia looking like the whipping boys of the group, the team will be looking for 3/3 wins.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Czech Rep

1) Slater

2) Masters66

3) Follow the blind

4)

Greece

1) Benjaminoo

2) Cookie15

3)

4)

Ireland

1) Elf_30

2)

3)

4)

Switzerland

1) Freelinet

2) Eldereth

3)

4)

Ukraine

1) wisla_krakow

2) scott1990

3) Blackcats

4) birdy123

Wales

1) TeeWee

2) The Golden boy

3) SJ234

4)

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, now that birdy has signed up I think I will now close this reservation malarky as I think virtually everyone who has been following this sign up recently has signed up now. icon14.gif

Thanks for all of you signing up again, shows to me that you've liked this sign-up and want to be a part of the next one and it also means that with only 9 spaces left, my new sign-up won't be full of just newbies. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Just to give you a bit more of a tease about the new sign up, (now none of you are allowed to change your country after this icon_wink.gif) but I think the people who signed up for Greece probably have made the best choice and Ukraine the worst choice. Although saying that, that could completely change depending on the nationality of your man and how high you lever their reputation. Oooooooooooooooh, thats got you thinking. icon_biggrin.gif

Final update of tonight...

Group A Results

China 2 v 1 South Korea

Qatar 2 v 0 Kuwait

Final Group A Table

Q. China +5 9

Q. South Korea 0 4

---------------------

3. Qatar -1 4

4. Kuwait -4 0

Group C Results

Oman 3 v 0 Bahrain

U.A.E. 2 v 0 North Korea

Final Group C Table

Q. U.A.E. +2 6

Q. Bahrain +1 6

----------------------

3. Oman +2 4

4. North Korea -5 1

Quarter Final Draw

(as it stands)

China v Bahrain

South Korea v U.A.E.

Winner Group B v Runner Up D

Runner Up Group B v Winner Group D

</pre>

A bit of a weird format for the draw as I would have thought Groups A+B and Groups C+D would be drawn together. This does however mean that if Kyrgyzstan and Turkmenistan both come top of their groups, they will only be able to meet each other in the Final!!! Seems like fate doesn’t it... icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Walcott's Well I wasn’t expecting that. Turkmenistan double their lead after 54 minutes, Ghoolbi Dumats floating a 25 yard freekick into the top left corner of the goal. Fantastic freekick and that’s his first ever goal for Turkmenistan. Just what the doc ordered as well, 0-2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yay! Good wins for Turkmenistan vs two tough opponents.

Kry on a roll, I still consider this a clean sheet, but I am not gonna complain too much. We only need a draw, then it is off to the finals to face our nemisis from Turk and once more, Kry will show that we are the best in the Asian world.

WW, you are such a tease. I think I can see where your going with this and man, this could be the best new sign up out there, woo hoo.

Turkmenistan is on a roll. Two very touch opponents put aside and will not meet them again before the final.

Greatest competition will be Japan if it qualifies, whichever of Saudi or Oz that qualifies, S-Korea and of course those Kyrgyzi dogs icon_smile.gif

Good show WW!

BTW, so the nation we chose is not necessarily the nationality of the player? Hmmm, starting country then where your player will start his career? Have to think on what this all means then...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TeeWee:

BTW, so the nation we chose is not necessarily the nationality of the player? Hmmm, starting country then where your player will start his career? Have to think on what this all means then... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All I will say for now is that you will have a link to the country you chose - be that a nationality or where you begin your career or something else I haven't mentioned. You'll have to wait to find out the details though.

I'll be watching the footy tonight, so should be able to get the last round of group matches out of the way whilst watching the match. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Walcott's Wonderkids:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TeeWee:

BTW, so the nation we chose is not necessarily the nationality of the player? Hmmm, starting country then where your player will start his career? Have to think on what this all means then... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All I will say for now is that you will have a link to the country you chose - be that a nationality or where you begin your career or something else I haven't mentioned. You'll have to wait to find out the details though.

I'll be watching the footy tonight, so should be able to get the last round of group matches out of the way whilst watching the match. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely then picking Ukraine wouldn't be the worst choice compared to Greece, this has really got me thinking, shame I'm not creative and have no idea what it could be icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by birdy123:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ukraine the worst choice </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, 'mon, lads icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh jeez...

Arsenal 6-0 up, 'mon the Walcott!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Iran v Kyrgyzstan

Tues 26th July: Asian Nations Cup 2011 Group Stage

Pre Match Line Up

It’s the same line up for the 3rd game in a row for Kyrgyzstan, with Alan as captain and key man. On the bench again is Lui, Freealdinho + Halali.

My Opinion

Only a draw is needed to qualify, but Kyrgyzstan will want to make sure they finish top so as to avoid Turkmenistan in the next round. I think they will edge it 2-1.

Iran has the first shot, a freekick over the bar from 25 yards.

Azeryk has the first shot for Kyrgyzstan, dribbling around a defender before shooting into the side netting from a tight angle.

Alan shoots twice over the bar in the next 10 minutes.

Iran almost take the lead after 28 minutes. Their forward hits the post after a close range header. The ball rebounds off the post and straight into the arms of Elfdog.

Kyrgyzstan take the lead after 39 minutes, Robson feeding the ball through to an unmarked Azeryk who fires through to the far post. 0-1.

HT: Iran 0 v 1 Kyrgyzstan

Half Time Stats

Kyrgyzstan have just about edged the half, but it is not all over by a long way.

Despite scoring the only goal of the game so far, Azeryk is subbed at halftime for Halali.

The first real chance of the half falls to Iran on the hour mark. A swift one-two puts their forward in on goal against Elfdog, but the keeper spreads his body well and the ball bounces away for a corner kick.

McNeil is subbed after 61 minutes and 10 minutes later Mick Bubble is subbed.

Iran come within inches of a equaliser. A long ball to the back post is headed just wide with about 15 minutes to go.

Ryan hits a freekick just wide with 10 minutes left on the clock.

Iran’s only chance in the dying few minutes was a hopeful long shot that went well over the bar.

FT: Iran 0 v 1 Kyrgyzstan

Match Overview

Player Stats

Just enough to see the side record another win and finish top of the group. MOM goes to George Robson for a solid showing in the centre of the park.

Other Group B Result: Japan 2 v 1 Uzbekistan

Final Group B Table

Q. Kyrgyzstan +4 7

Q. Japan +1 5

---------------------

3. Iran -1 2

4. Uzbekistan -4 1

</pre>

Indonesia v Turkmenistan

Weds 27th July: Asian Nations Cup Group Stage

Pre Match Line Up

Turkmenistan line up with the same team that played against Saudi Arabia, with 9 superstars starting. Selim Atas is the captain and the key man is Samaras Taraldo. On the bench are Alvaro De Santiago, Humphrey Koppers, Marcus Cook, Luke Swinson, Ulfinus Chaoconov + Peter Slater.

My Opinion

Indonesia has lost both games in the tournament so far and I don’t envisage that pattern changing in this game as well.

Indonesia almost take a shock lead, but Rhys Davies flies out of goal and spreads himself in front of the oncoming striker.

Indonesia infact have the better of the opening exchanges and after 13 minutes they take the lead. Their left mid lets fly from distance and a diving Rhys Davies can do nothing as the shot rattles off the crossbar and into the path of a waiting striker who has no problems tapping in from a few yards out. 1-0.

Gonzalez hits a shot over the bar from 15 yards out after being fed through by Libertinho.

Turkmenistan go in at halftime having not had a shot on target. Words will be said surely.

HT: Indonesia 1 v 0 Turkmenistan

Half Time Stats

With nothing happening in the first 10 minutes of the second half, the manager makes a change by taking off a defender and bringing on Peter Slater.

The substitution works as well. 66 minutes gone and Turkmenistan are level. Gonzalez beats 2 men by running down the right. He whips in a cross and there is Peter Slater at the near post to power home a header. 1-1.

Turkmenistan then make 2 subs as Gareth Davies + Ghoolbi Dumats are subbed, with Humphrey Koppers coming on and the team going back to a 3-5-2 formation after a brief dabble at 4-1-3-2.

Atas spins his man before firing in a low shot. The keeper gets a hand to it and everyone watches on as it dribbles across the goalmouth and out for a corner.

Indonesia then almost score an own goal in injury time, but the keeper makes a fine save.

FT: Indonesia 1 v 1 Turkmenistan

Match Overview

Player Stats

Turkmenistan do just enough to save embarrassment and finish top of the table. MOM went to the Indonesia keeper.

Other Group D Result: Saudi Arabia 3 v 2 Australia

Final Group D Table

Q. Turkmenistan +3 7

Q. Saudi Arabia +2 6

-----------------------

3. Australia +1 3

4. Indonesia -6 1

</pre>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Asian Nations Cup 2011 Quarter Finals

U.A.E. 2 v 2 South Korea - U.A.E. win 4-2 on penalties

China 1 v 0 Bahrain

Semi Final Draw

U.A.E. v Turkmenistan / Japan

China v Kyrgyzstan / Saudi Arabia

</pre>

U.A.E. springing what could be seen as a surprise against S Korea and certainly the winner of

Turkmenistan v Japan will be thinking they have a great chance of a place in the final.

China have knocked out the hosts Bahrain and certainly are a trickier team to face for whoever they meet in the semis.

Both Q-Finals featuring our teams to come tonight. icon14.gif

Turkmenistan v Japan

Sat 30th July: Asian Nations Cup 2011 Q-Final

Pre Match Line Up

Turkmenistan keep with the same side that drew with Indonesia in their last group game. In a 3-5-2 system, Selim Atas is the captain and Samaras Taraldo is the key man. On the bench are Alvaro De Santiago, Peter Slater, Marcus Cook, Luke Swinson & Humphrey Koppers.

My opinion

A tough game for Turkmenistan, but they know that if they win they will play a team that they have beaten before. Kyrgyzstan could only draw with these guys and I think this game could be headed for extra time. After that, who knows...

Dumats has the first shot of the game, but his freekick goes way over the bar in the 2nd minute.

In what could prove crucial later in the game, Japan has to make a substitution after just 7 minutes, their keeper coming off injured.

Japan break the offside trap after 23 minutes, but the forward wastes the chance and tries an ultra-ambitious chip, which goes miles over the bar.

Gonzalez is played through by Atas, but his left footed shot goes wide of the goal.

Japan are not afraid to pass the ball around, which shows in the possession stats after 30 minutes, Japan leading 58%-42%.

Turkmenistan have to wait until the 3rd minute of injury time to get their first shot on target in the game. Bennitto Hagan playing a one-two with Gonzalez, but his shot goes straight at the keeper.

HT: Turkmenistan 0 v 0 Japan

Half Time Stats

A very tight game, looks like the first goal could be crucial.

In an interesting move, Japan use their 3rd and final sub during the half time break, Turkmenistan have yet to make a sub.

GOAL! Route one delight for Turkmenistan straight after the restart as Rhys Davies punts the ball downfield, Gonzalez gets the flick on and Atas runs onto it, before scoring past the keeper at the second attempt. 1-0.

Peter Slater replaces Gonzalez just after the hour, as Turkmenistan change to a 3-3-2-1-1 formation.

I mentioned at half time Japan were playing a high risk strategy with their subs and when a Japanese player comes off injured it means that the team are down to 10 men.

Double substitution for Turkmenistan after 74 minutes, mainly involving the non-superstars, but Koppers comes onto the pitch.

Koppers almost scores with his first touch, a long shot that goes just wide.

Japan force a solid block from Rhys Davies at his near post, which goes out for a corner.

A man down, Japan can’t find a way to get an equaliser and Turkmenistan hold on in a tight encounter.

FT: Turkmenistan 1 v 0 Japan

Match Overview

Player Stats

Selim Atas wins the MOM award for scoring the winner.

Kyrgyzstan v Saudi Arabia

Sat 30th July: Asian Nations Cup 2011 Q-Finals

Pre Match Line Up

Kyrgyzstan field the same starting line again, with 11 superstars taking to the pitch. The captain is Alan and the key man Birkinaldo. Bill has returned from suspension and Mastinho has recovered from the virus that laid him low and both join Lui, Freealdinho + Halali on the bench.

My Opinion

Kyrgyzstan have looked impressive so far this tournament and I think they will edge this game 2-1.

A dream start for Kyrgyzstan. They will a corner after just 4 minutes, Gary McNeil whips it in and Prof Frink leaps and heads the abll towards goal. The keeper saves that shot but can do nothing to prevent George Robson knocking in the rebound. 1-0.

Alan releases David Frketic down the right wing and it looks all set to become 2-0 with Azeryk unmarked at the back post, but his cross fails to beat the only Saudi defender located at the front post.

Prof Frink continues to look dangerous from corners, this time heading over the bar after another corner from the right.

David Frketic is subbed for Bill after just 40 minutes.

HT: Kyrgyzstan 1 v 0 Saudi Arabia

Half Time Stats

There has only really been one side in it so far.

At half time Azeryk is subbed for Halali as Kyrgyzstan change to a 3-3-2-1-1 formation.

A quiet start to the second half, Saudi Arabia only shot being a freekick that sailed over the bar.

Gary McNeil is subbed after 61 minutes.

Kyrgyzstan continue to look dangerous, Bill heading just over from a corner after 75 minutes.

Alan could have sealed the game up with 10 minutes to go, but his shot was well saved by the Saudi keeper.

Birkinaldo lives up to his ‘key man’ billing in the 3rd minute of injury time, putting in an outrageous tackle on a Saudi forward just as he was about to pull the trigger when in on goal.

FT: Kyrgyzstan 1 v 0 Saudi Arabia

Match Overview

Player Stats

So George Robson scores the only goal of the game, his 4th minute goal enough to see Kyrgyzstan through to the semis. For that, Robson gets the MOM award.

I have played the Kyrgyzstan v China semi final and I can tell you that the game was won by the team who came from behind to win 2-1 with the winner scored in the 87th minute - but which team scored that vital goal?!

Has the dream fallen apart or could there still be a fairytale ending?!

You'll have to wait until tomorrow evening to find out! icon_biggrin.gif

This aint fair, why hold out on us, we dont deserve this kind of treatment, Oh the humanity, lol.....

The suspense is killer, I am gonna die from the wait. You are a very devious, devious man WW, very devious indeed.

Man, is it evening yet?

KUTGW WW, your the man.

China v Kyrgyzstan

Tues 2nd Aug: Asian Nations Cup 2011 Semi Final

Pre Match Line Up

For the umpteenth game in a row Kyrgyzstan field the same starting 11. Alan is captain and Birkinaldo is key man. On the bench are Lui, Halali, Mastinho, Freealdinho + Bill.

It is worth noting that Birkinaldo is on a yellow card and so picking up a yellow card in this game would mean he would be suspended for the final should Kyrgyzstan make it.

My Opinion

These 2 sides have met twice before, back in 2008 when they shared a victory each. However, I think Kyrgyzstan will win this one, just.

Comfortable first save for Elfdog as the long shot from China is straight at him.

Counter attack by Kyrgyzstan, with Alan releasing Azeryk, but his shot is well saved by the keeper.

28 minutes gone and Kyrgyzstan have the best chance of the game yet. Benj plays the ball out to the left wing where McNeil runs down the flank before playing the ball back inside for Azeryk who has time before picking his spot. Unfortunately he picks the wrong side of the post and it goes out for a goalkick.

In the dying moments of the first half, Robson pulls a left footed shot wide.

HT: Kyrgyzstan 0 v 0 China

Half Time Stats

A pretty dull first half. Bill replaces Azeryk at halftime.

Alan tracks back and wins the ball around the halfway line. He then releases Bill into the new open space. He closes in on goal but again the keeper pulls off a good save to deny him.

China come to life after 53 minutes. Their midfielder slots a ball inbetween the 2 centre backs and Han Peng is first to react, slotting it past Elfdog. 1-0.

It gets even worse for Birkinaldo, as 2 minutes later he shoves a Chinese player and gets a yellow card for his troubles – he will now miss the final if Kyrgyzstan get there.

Elfdog does really well to keep Kyrgyzstan in the game on the hour mark, rushing out well to close down the left mid after a great cross field ball led to a promising attack for China.

62 minutes gone and Kyrgyzstan have fluked an equaliser, but they won’t care! Gary McNeil fired a cross in from the left and as the Chinese defender rose with Alan to contest the cross, the defender headed the ball into his own net past his stunned keeper. 1-1.

Alan picks up a knock after 65 minutes but decides to carry on for the short term.

10 minutes later though he comes off as Kyrgyzstan make a double sub. Alan + Gary McNeil come off for Freealdinho + Mastinho. The captaincy is taken over by Bill.

And its captain fantastic that may well have won it for Kyrgyzstan! 3 minutes to go and Freealdinho holds the ball up well with his back to goal, before turning and releasing Bill. His first shot was saved by the keeper, but from a tight angle he managed to squeeze it past the keeper at the 2nd attempt. 1-2.

A frantic last few minutes with the ball being lobbed from one end of the pitch to the other, but crucially no more goals were scored.

FT: Kyrgyzstan 2 v 1 China

Match Overview

Player Stats

Benj wins the MOM award for his fine midfield general’s role, but Kyrgyzstan were lucky there – it could so easily have gone to China that game.

Just to confirm, Jacariah Birkinaldo will miss the final due to suspension.

U.A.E. v Turkmenistan

Tues 2nd August: Asian Nations Cup 2011 Semi Final

Pre Match Line Up

Bad news for Turkmenistan as their captain Selim Atas sustained a damaged elbow in the run up to the semi final so is only watching from the stands. Marcus Cook replaces him in the starting line up which contains 9 superstars. The new captain is Hermandinho and the key man is still Samaras Taraldo. On the bench for the game is Alvaro De Santiago, Humphrey Koppers, Peter Slater + Luke Swinson.

A warning that Samaras Taraldo + Ghoolbi Dumats are both on yellow cards, so if either received a yellow card then they would be out of the final if Turkmenistan make it.

My Opinion

These 2 sides have met 4 times before, Turkmenistan winning twice at home and twice drawing at their place. So what will happen on a neutral venue? You have to think Turkmenistan will be too strong for U.A.E. who, ranked at 63rd in the world, were not even fancied to get out of their group!

Gonzalez has the first shot of the game, he took the ball off a defender before dribbling 20 yards and then shooting. His shot was straight at the keeper though.

Marcus Cook picked up a yellow card for a tug on a shirt.

Marcus Cook + Pablo Gonzalez then team up well to set up Bennitto Hagan from 25 yards. His shot is dragged wide though.

A pretty dull first half, the game needs a goal.

HT: U.A.E. 0 v 0 Turkmenistan

Half Time Stats

It takes all of 13 seconds of the second half for Marcus Cook to have the first shot, a dipping long ranger that goes just over the bar.

62 minutes gone and Turkmenistan decide to change things. Gareth Davies + Marcus Cook are subbed and on comes Luke Swinson + Peter Slater.

Libertinho has a curling shot that shaves the left post from distance.

75 minutes gone and Peter Slater swings in a cross from the left, Pablo Gonzalez meets it with his head at the near post, but his header goes inches the wrong side of the post.

With 6 minutes to go U.A.E. have a rare foray forward, but their eventual shot is a weak one, miles wide of the target.

The underdog should never be written off though, as with 4 minutes to go Rhys Davies has to pull out another of his superb saves he’s made this tournament, to deny a U.A.E. player from 10 yards and a clear sight of goal.

90 minutes: U.A.E. 0 v 0 Turkmenistan

Match / Player Stats

Into extra time we go, with both sides having already used all their subs.

92 minutes gone Hermandinho picks up a yellow card for a trip on the opposing forward.

HT ET: U.A.E. 0 v 0 Turkmenistan

In the first minute after the restart, Libertinho released Pablo Gonzalez through one-on-one with the Gk and for all the world it looked as if this was the moment for Turkmenistan. He pulled his shot wide.

2 minutes later and Rhys Davies pulls off another sparkling save to his left to deny the opposition.

AET: U.A.E. 0 v 0 Turkmenistan

Match Overview

Match Stats

Player Stats

To penalties it goes... who will have the greater nerve and courage to see themselves through to a final against Kyrgyzstan:

U.A.E. 1st: Scores, sending the keeper the wrong way. 1-0

Libertinho: Cheekily chips it down the centre and scores. 1-1

U.A.E. 2nd: Poor penalty, straight down the centre and straight at the keeper. 1-1

Ghoolbi Dumats: Beautiful penalty, keeper went the right way but it was right in the corner. 1-2

U.A.E. 3rd: Good penalty, sends the keeper the wrong way. 2-2

Luke Swinson: Like watching a replay of the penalty by Dumats. 2-3

U.A.E. 4th: Soft penalty to the left of Rhys Davies and the keeper gets down well to save it. 2-3

Samaras Taraldo: If he scores, Turkmenistan are through to the final...

but he blazes it high and wide. U.A.E. still have a chance. 2-3

U.A.E. 5th: Great penalty under extreme pressure. Top corner, take a bow my man. 3-3

Hermandinho: Up steps the captain with a chance to seize the glory...

he does, the keeper goes the right way but can’t stop the penalty. 3-4

</pre>

Turkmenistan win 4-3 on penalties

Asian Nations Cup 2011 Rinal Preview

So to confirm, the final will be held between:

Kyrgyzstan v Turkmenistan

Five years after the 2 nations were given a rapid makeover, they both make a major international footballing final!

Both nations have played each other 10 times in the past, but all have been Stanlies Cup games. Kyrgyzstan have won 4 games, Turkmenistan twice and the draw has occured 4 times.

It's a fitting finale to this sign-up and will be an interesting affair and I sure has hell can't predict what will happen! icon_biggrin.gif

I can predict however, that the final will be published at 8pm tomorrow (Friday) evening. icon14.gif

Both teams are to be congratulated and I must say, WW, you could not have asked for a better conclusion. Well, maybe when Kyrgy wins the Asian Cup, what a great way to end this thing.

I am looking forward to getting my hands on the database this is from. I dont have any plans of getting FM08 yet. I am enjoying 07 too much and for me, dont see anything that spectacular to make me fork out the money for it just yet, but I will enjoy being a part of your sign up, unless you make it a requirement to own the game, that would suck.

Cheers to you all, we have been up and down and this has been a superior campaign by all.

Kudos to you WW, you are the man man, lol.

peace

Archived