4-2-3-1 Dortmund - posession, winning, highly aesthetic [patch 13.1.3]

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Late comer to FM13 but decided to go with this tactic for my Aberdeen career.

On the latest patch and so far so good. Won all my preseason games against lower Scottish opposition (which I’d expect), and also had a 2-2 draw with Swansea – I was two up and should’ve switched to Counter and I also threw on all my subs for some match practice. Could’ve won if I’d really wanted it I suppose.

In the league I’ve played four games so far.

Celtic (a) 1-2

Dundee Utd (h) 2-0

St Johnstone (a) 0-0

Hearts (h) 2-1

Pretty good so far. I didn’t read the bit about changing mentalities until now so maybe I could’ve drawn with Celtic. Hopefully we can keep gelling and avoid injuries.

if the tactic keeps working I will finish second – if it doesn’t, we won’t. Its as simple as that :)

Thanks for work so far. Will keep you informed.

Could be for a lot of reasons. Are you on the new patch? Could you post some stats probably? How many shots are from a long range, how many are blocked, which of your players are getting shots ect. Also, are you creating clear cut chances or is your team lacking there too?

Try and increase the closing down of your trequartista. Also I found it not ideal to have two wingers with this tactic because you need a strong striker in the middle to get at the end of the crosses. Might be better to employ a lopsided approach with one winger and one inside forward. You can still field a strong striker like this but you'll have some pace in the middle too through the inside forward

Ah, sorry for not reporting. Second season with Real Madrid and I find this tactic is tailor suited to that team. The only change I did was mirroring it to the left to adapt it to Marcelo as WB.

For the rest, a lot possession of the ball, a lot of shots arond 20 per game more or less, the opposition almost none.

Overall very good tactic, thanks for sharing.

I've been using this tactic (converted to classic) with my psv side, very successful 1st season, but after that couldnt put a consistent run of games together, seemed to be conceding far too much. so I made a few adjustments to it and it seems to be working pretty well. haven't had a chance to test it with any other teams yet though, but I've won the title the last 2 seasons and made it to the champions league semi final this season (group: PSG, Benfica, Standard, finished top. Knockout: Fernabache, Sevilla, eliminated in semi by Barcelona) .

basically, its been converted to classic, time wasting has been taken down a few notches, counter attack has been ticked, and player instructions for the LB and both CB's have been changed so they are a bit more defensively sound.

http://www.mediafire.com/?qh27ks6dkcourg4

psvfixturesschedule.png

Thanks for the feedback Kurospidey. Are you on the latest patch? If so it'd seem as if it is still working fine

Yes, on the latest patch. I just ended the second season. The second one wasn't as succesful as the first but nothing to do with the patch (I keep having a lot of shots and possession the majority of the games) but more with me selling Ronaldo at half the season and starting a lot of inexperienced young players.

I think it depends on the players you have. I think for Real this tactic is great, but maybe for a relegation team with no creative players they would struggle. If I have time I'll upload some screenshots later.

well i'm using this on the latest patch for my benfica save and so far 4 wins from 4 although not yet come up against real top opposition.

so i will keep going and post results as i get furthur into it.

On a side not the attacking wing back role is working great, i'm using Maxi Pereira there and in 4 games he has 4 goals and 2 assists!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey!

So I have tried this tactic for a couple of seasons. (Just started my fourth season with Liverpool) I followed the changes above and made my inside forwards wingers.

First season i barely made it without getting sacked, finished on a 6th place and a eurospot, I think I would have been sacked otherwise.

Second season I sold alot of players, I needed some new wingers casue the ones I had suck (except Sterling who need a year or two before he is a starter) My transfer targets was mainly wingers and defensive midfielders. Once again I finished 6th in the league but I won the Europa League. Still my troop is a little thin and volunerable when I get injuries and dont have the quality to fill the spots.

Third season: Some good summer transfers and I have a nice team with some good competition on every spot. My forward becomes top scorer in Premier League, one of my wingers wins the assist league and I WIN the premier league title and the Europa League again!

Must say that im very satisfied with this tactic, going for the champions league title now :)

I cant get this system to work...

The tactic mainly falls on my cb's constant desire to make costly mistakes. I play as feyenoord and use de vriej and bruno martins as cb. Sure, they are young but look at their stats. They are top backs in eredivise with those stats. Cant wrap my head around it...

Strange issue, the centre backs don't have to do anything fancy in this tactic. What kind of mistakes do they do? Misplacing passes? Missing tackles? If you could specify this we might get closer to finding the cause

Well hard to see exactly what they do wrong. But i i'd say anything it's that they make odd decisions. Dont think they coop too well with the offside-trapping either.

Ive revamped my playing style and now i play with balanced mentality with a stopper/cover duo and no offside trap. Seems to work better.

Edit: Btw, are you still playing with this tactic? No other changes compared to the OP?

• 2 weeks later...

This is by far the best tactic I have used. Im in season 2 with Dortmund and have only lost 1 league match in 24 games and am cruising to the title with games to spare. Scoring loads of goals while conceding very little. Not using many shouts either. I am using this home and away in all competitions as well. Definately the best plug and play tactic right now :thup:

@St1ckler depending on the situation, but I tend to remove one of the wingers if the opponent isn't terribly dangerous down the flanks. Else, the AM makes way usually

@djsatu Thank you very much, good to hear

I am getting ready for my season no. 4 with Derby County. As I need a new style of play, and have been inspired by the way Dortmund play in real life, I am going to use this tactic this season.

I finished 10th in the Premier League last season, so it will be interesting to see if this tactic can give us a needed lift! :)

Well, I'd love to see some screenshots! Tables of course, but maybe one of your strikers achievements too if you don't mind. What a season, you seem to be unbeatable at the moment. I guess the fans must be pretty pleased with their manager :)

• 2 months later...

Archived