Picking players - who to carry over to the next game.

Since FM...I want to say 11, I've operated on the following system in terms of picking my next match day squad:

1) If a player scores, then they are guaranteed a spot in the next 11.

2) If a player achieved a rating of 8.0, then they are also guaranteed a spot.

3) If a player was poor enough to achieve less than a 6.0, then they are out.

The rest of the team is decided on a combination of condition, and ability.

Does anybody else have similar rules? Are my numbers a bit harsh (expectations too high/6.0 isn't that awful)?

No because of the fitness issue. However If a player perform under 6.4 I just fine them 2 weeks ages and if they not happy they can leave.

I have fined my goalkeeper like 20 times. He gets 100,000 per week what a lot of money I save :p lol

Well fitness can throw all your plans into turmoil. I definitely don't pick anyone less than 92%, but I try to pick only those at 95% or higher, unless there is a huge gap in quality between the two choices.

I try to pick players who have come off a good game, or that are in a nice run of form, however the #1 thing that will determine who I pick is tactics. For example, if I have 2 good attacking CM's that are both in good form, but I am playing a superior opponent and I need to play on the counter, I will only pick 1 of them and pick a more defensive player that suits my tactics. Contrary, if I have a good run from several defenders but I want to play an attacking game, I will drop one or more of them in favor of a more attacking choice.

I have a first choice 11 which will only change through fitness. I've got to the point where I have an established first team, and a good backup team which I trust against easier opposition, so after a big game if they're tired, or if I've got a big game coming up, I swap the whole team out.

It's rare that a player will break into the first team though through form. Usually it happens when I decide stats wise they're good enough, sell the senior player, and ensure I have a new backup. Only player to break into the team on form for me is Bony at Newcastle. I had Carroll(2 great seasons for me) score 1 in 4, so gave Bony the chance, he scored a hatrick, he's been dominating the league since. He's earned that place.

If a player has a condition of 90+, he will

1) play if he scored a goal in the last match

2) not play if his rating was below 6.9 (I'm very lazy about that rule though... is there any easy way to check the last match rating on the line-up screen? I don't mean the 5-last-matches column)

3) the new players in the line-up: fewest minutes played so far

Ideally I want 2x first teams, but that can take a few or 4-5 seasons of patience from board etc to crack, not to mention it's not going to work 3rd tier downwards too well in any league. I have an 'A' Team and a 'B' team and looking ahead on the fixture list a month or so at a time plan around that as in some games you need to bring your A game. In an ideal world that is. :D

Even saying that I'd expect everyone in a 25 man squad pushing at least 20 first team apps per season, whether as sub or not. Strikers on a run of goals need to play every game for me, even if it's the last 15-20 mins on their rest day/game. Strikers more than anyone for me.

Once I've cracked that I get bored quickly and move on to re-start again somewhere else; though it doesn't always end in smiles. My save this morning being one. :D

Since FM...I want to say 11, I've operated on the following system in terms of picking my next match day squad:

1) If a player scores, then they are guaranteed a spot in the next 11.

2) If a player achieved a rating of 8.0, then they are also guaranteed a spot.

3) If a player was poor enough to achieve less than a 6.0, then they are out.

The rest of the team is decided on a combination of condition, and ability.

Does anybody else have similar rules? Are my numbers a bit harsh (expectations too high/6.0 isn't that awful)?

What if you play a one striker formation but two different strikers both score (maybe one came on as a sub)? Do you change formation to accommodate them?

What if you are playing an end-of-season meaningless league game and decide to rest your better players and play a few youngsters and several of them score/get above 8.0 and your next match is the Champions League Final? Do you stick with the youngsters?

From a personal point of view I'm always thinking a couple of matches ahead. If I have a Thursday night Euro Cup game followed by a big derby in the league on Sunday and the League Cup the next Wednesday, then I'll go with my back-up team, my first -team and then a mixture of my back-up/youngsters, regardless of performances in their prior match.

Archived