Sports Interactive Community
Neil Train

32gb SSD. can i use this to my advantage?

the ultrabooks i'm looking at SAID SSD but reading the specs seems they've traditional discs PLUS 32gb SSD.

can i use this 32gb to run FM faster? this is all new territory to me........;)

In short, no. I switched out my HDD and put in an SSD. The OS load times, and program load times are much qucicker but the actual game is the same. If there is a difference it is not noticeable. Also, load and save times are improved if you saved games are on SSD, but even that isn't a massive difference.

Despite that, I love my SSD and will never go back to HDD. When I play a network game with a mate, I sometimes load my machine, start fm, exit fm, shut down, restart and load FM again then annoyingly ask him if his has loaded yet (it never has)! Both machines are 2nd Gen i5 processors with 8gb of ram and 2gb dedicated graphics cards. The only real difference is the storage.

If FM is your most used software, i'd probably install it there, but save to the HDD as a rolling autosave will soon eat up whats left after installing FM and the O/S (installing the OS in the SSD is a no brainer)

Any read and write processes will be faster. But anything that requires your CPU will not, and as this is mainly a CPU reliant game you wont see that much of a boost. You'll see player screens and such open up faster, but the actual processing and similar things won't be changed. This is probably not the game to install to an SSD.

personally i would wait for the next generation of haswell CPU's to buy a ultrabook, the CPU design is extra made for power savings, rumours say the ultrabooks will stay up to 9 hours with the new CPU's

a real waste of money to buy a ultrabook now