Sports Interactive Community
Aleynasdad

TWENTY YEARS - How many have been here the whole journey?

My first management game was when I lived in Sheffield, England back in the early 90s.... One-Nil by Wizard Games of Scotland. My first CM/FM game was 93/94.

92179-1_To_Nil_Soccer_Manager_%281992%29%28Wizard_Games_Of_Scotland_Ltd%29-1.jpg

1-0_soccer_manager.png

I'd forgotten I had this. Loved it. Loved it!!!

I can't remember exactly which one it was, but my first was the game where Peter Ndlovu ALWAYS signed for Man Utd at the very start. I have owned every CM/FM since.

Been here for about 15 years ^^ game inspired me to take a coaching course on football here in brazil for football/futsal, still looking to study it more when the opportunity allows = ]

I thought I'd played from the original CM, but it appears that as CM93 on the Amiga was my first one I missed one.

Ah memories *Looks wistfully into the middle distance*

Trading player tips with my mates in the playground about CM Italia.

Giving Andy Cole the maximum wages you could at the time - £9999 p/w (I think)

Chris Sutton at Norwich.

Only having a very limited list of foreign players you could sign.

My first game was Pc Futbol 4.0. One of the greatest football management series I've played until I discovered Championship Manager 01/02. Then the company (Dinamic Multimedia) went bankrupt in 2001. But it was a fantastic game, better than CM of that days in some aspects.

This thread has made me sad. In a good way.

My purchasing history tells a story of a youth (and adult life) lost to this bloody series:

- demanding an external disk drive for Christmas for my Amiga so I didn't need to sway CM Italia disks

- demanding a Pentium PC (100mhz!) to "do my A-Level coursework" (of which I didn't actually have any)

- finding that my ageing PC didn't support CM3 so upgrading my processor, only to find that I needed a new motherboard to support it

- buying a new PC about 4 months ago so the 3d match engine didn't judder like the installation on my work laptop

In summary, I'd like to apologise to the following people in order: my mum & dad, unfortunate girlfriends who quickly realised I wasn't worth the effort, my long suffering wife and now my kids.

Ultimate Soccer Manager 98-99.

Beautiful sim way ahead of its time. There are quite a few fans. It was in a pile of old CD's my uncle had acquired that were of no use to him which he gave to me. Gave it a try and have loved manager sims ever since.

I remember the tactics were very simplified - formation, captain, kick takers, mentality, and you could choose from passing / long ball / mixed. That was about your lot. You approached for players by sending letters and would wait a few days to receive a reply. And when you were short of cash, you went to the local bookmaker / mob and saw to it.

I remember doing very well in my first ever save, winning the conference and fighting at the top of division 3 in the second season (as it was then) before getting the sack randomly after a very successful 18 month spell. You couldn't change jobs mid-season or add new manager either - gutted.

I started out with CM 93/94 on the Amiga and have been hooked since. CM Italia 95 was possibly my favourite version ever. Especially when I signed Eric Cantona and Marco Piovanelli for my Milan team. Ooft!

Had previously played Premier Manager and played Soccer Boss on the Spectrum before that. Play by mail before that and I used to create my own World Cup tournaments using sheets of paper and a dice. GEEK!

Been there from the start and before that played endless games on the spectrum and amiga. Loved Football Director 2 for the spectrum.

Ultimate Soccer Manager 98-99.

Beautiful sim way ahead of its time. There are quite a few fans. It was in a pile of old CD's my uncle had acquired that were of no use to him which he gave to me. Gave it a try and have loved manager sims ever since.

I remember the tactics were very simplified - formation, captain, kick takers, mentality, and you could choose from passing / long ball / mixed. That was about your lot. You approached for players by sending letters and would wait a few days to receive a reply. And when you were short of cash, you went to the local bookmaker / mob and saw to it.

I remember doing very well in my first ever save, winning the conference and fighting at the top of division 3 in the second season (as it was then) before getting the sack randomly after a very successful 18 month spell. You couldn't change jobs mid-season or add new manager either - gutted.

It was a classic. :) Ashamed to say I gave CM a break for a year or two because of that game, CM was getting too in-depth for me at the time. Silly things like bribes and putting up new stands, hot dog wagons or building a road and car park around the stadium were funny as.

Definitely Premier Manager was the first Football Management sim I played. Also played a bit of USM, but I think CM2 was the first I played from Sports Interactive. Sadly didn't have a PC in my house until fairly late so used to just take over friends computers and play it round their houses. Think CM3 was the first one I ever actually owned myself and have played every single one since (to varying degrees of success!)

Almost exactly this, we used to find a way into the IT suite at school to play Premier Manager on weekends.

I was also massively intimidated by George Tawlon Manneh Oppong Ousman Weah on CM Italia, his Milan team would destroy me each time I faced them in Europe.

Black and red flashing commentary bars seared into my memory.

I too started out on Kenny Dalglish Manager on the Speccy. Which in hindsight seems odd as everyone in my family supports either Man Utd or Everton so he wasn't the most popular. Must've been about 1990. Then moved on to a game called Treble Champions. First experience of this series was CM Italia which one of my mates had for the Amiga. My parents got our 1st pc in 96 when I started my GCSE's and CM2 somehow found its way on there. Spent an obscene amount of time on every game since, with the exception of FM11 when I was without a pc for 6 months as I accidentally blew it up. But we can just gloss over that...

Bloody hell you guys are bringing back some memories here! I think my first will of been premier manager, when man city were in the 3rd division? Followed my CM and LMA manager! I used to play a play by mail game aswell, where each "turn" took a week, you filled a little card in with the worlds most complicated code for bidding on players and submitting your squad for that weeks game and posted it off, i used to sit by the door waiting for the postman before school every thursday! Madness!

I wasn't the first one, but it wasn't far off. I remember a friend from School coming over to my house with a copy, and I was hooked. I'm 31, so I would have been around 14 so I've been on for about 18 years myself. Loved every version ever since.

I played USM and a few other games, liked USM. I think my first CM was.. CM2? I'm not actually sure. I had a big break though, I stopped playing CM games I think on 01/02 and then didnt play until FM09, which I hated, and didnt play more than half an our, before risking FM10 and loving it.

Non-SI: The original Football Manager by Kevin Tom's on the ZX Spectrum. I spent hours on that as a kid... at least... when I was able to, given that I had two older brothers and a Dad who played it relentlessly! :D

SI: I started mid-90's, not with the first ever CM but one shortly after. It was the one with the CD where it would play audio-commentary of the match highlights. Since, then, I've bought the vast majority of CM/FM releases.

Been playing since the very first version of CM that had only fictional players. Have bought every version since, though have played some versions far more than others.

I tried the demo of CM5 and it was so awful I only played one match before continuing with FM2005.

I even played the original Kevin Toms version on my BBC Micro all the time back in the day!

Wonder where or what Kevin Toms is up to these days and wondering if he knows how many man hours he's cost the UK economy on getting people hooked on playing football management sims, or 'inspired' others to make different versions since. :D

Wonder where or what Kevin Toms is up to these days and wondering if he knows how many man hours he's cost the UK economy on getting people hooked on playing football management sims, or 'inspired' others to make different versions since. :D

He's got a blog page: http://blog.kevintoms.com/

It was updated recently (mid December) and another recent entry asks what he should name his latest football management game now that Football Manager is being used by "a certain other company"!

There's also a link to a website where you can play the original in a browser.

I had the original Football Manager on an Amstrad that was handed down to me by my cousins. From there I was constantly playing Graeme Souness Soccer Manager at my mate's house. I used to play a demo of USM on my uncle's PC, but my whole life changed when my mate got CM2.

I've never played CM4 and CM 03/04 as my pc at home couldn't run then. Just before I went to uni I bought a laptop and as I was at home decided to load CM 01/02 on it. I was hooked again and have had every version since FM 2005

He's got a blog page: http://blog.kevintoms.com/

It was updated recently (mid December) and another recent entry asks what he should name his latest football management game now that Football Manager is being used by "a certain other company"!

There's also a link to a website where you can play the original in a browser.

Aah, right, nice one. Good find. Will have a read/catch up of it later. :thup:

I did load up the original last year from a site that had loads of Spectrum games on it (Harrier Attack....loved that game!! :D ). Toms' game was exactly as I remembered it.

My first CM was the 97/98 version, loved playing as Southend and AS Monaco.. didnt really become a "CM nerd" until CM 3 though.

CM 99/00 was my first....To say I was born in 1990, it's not a bad effort! I still remained surprised to this day how I managed to understand various aspects of the games at the age of 9 haha

My first was the Football Manager 1996/97, still remember the commentary-only match screen and the big Arial fonts.

My first was the Football Manager 1996/97, still remember the commentary-only match screen and the big Arial fonts.

Sorry to be pedantic, but you mean Championship Manager 96/97, Football Manager was a dormant brand from when Football Manager 3 was released in 1992 until SI bought the rights to the name in 2004.

Been hooked since 1995.Remember the first manual I had almost got torned to pieces when searching for the unlock codes.I also played some of the other manager games,but nothing came near to the CM/FM experience.

Memorable moments : Taking Cambrigde all the way up to the Premiership using a 4-2-4 tactic.......leaving them stranded at the bottom when I took over West Ham,and the the Cambrigde board sent me the following message : "We think you`re a right *******".........so realistic it made me blush. Also remember Ibrahima Bakayoko....the best goalscorer ever.And the worst experience.........using all my transfer funds on Darren Anderton while managing Newcastle,only to have him injured 20 min. out in his debut..........and he was out for 18 months !!!

Great fun :)

I've been playing football management games since Kevin Tom's Football Manager. I then went through Football Director I/II, and numerous others until the first CM came out. I bought every CM, and update/data disk, until the split then went FM's way. I must admit I got out of playing them recently as they got too in depth for my tastes, but FM handheld on the PSP and now Android has dragged me right back in.

Anyone else play Brian Clough's Football Fortunes?

Yep, the best party game ever. Couldn't beat getting the game and board out when you had a few mates round. Oh the hilarity when one of your opponents lost his 2 best players in a car crash at the start of the 2nd season. Wasn't so funny when it happened to you though...

I've still got 2 boards, and all the cards, at home as I bought it for the Amstrad 464 and the Amiga. I've still got the Amiga to play it on but I seem to have ran out of mates.... :(

Oh god, this thread made me super nostalgic. :D

Been playing since CM2. Still remember that wonderful, wonderful glitch where you could bid £20m for a player (as that was the absolute maximum you could possibly bid!), the club would accept, and then you could adjust the offer back down to £0, but the selling club wouldn't reject it - it basically meant you could buy any player you wanted for free. :)

The one that probably got the most play was 01/02 - I was fairly involved in the CM Scene online at the time as well, and I spent a truly phenomenal amount of time playing that game. So. Many. Swedish. Wonderkids. I took a bit of a break for a few years after FM2004, as life kicked in, but now things have calmed down, I managed to play a bit of FM2012, but a bad sacking kind of killed it for me early on, and other games took over. FM2013, and more specifically FM Classic mode have really grabbed me this time round though. :)

I started with this back in early '90 ( The Manager for Amiga ) -> http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=1627 :)

It was one of the best games I have ever played in my life

So many memories...

It was the first football management game I ever played, at a friend's place... it was already way past Amiga's era (1994 IIRC) but my videogaming experience during childhood was limited to Atari XE and to Sega consoles, so not much in terms of footie management.

So I was really fascinated with The Manager, despite never managing to play more than one season (even with the cheat combo in the options menu, I still managed to lose once I got promoted...). I even had my maths teacher/principal in HS bootlegging a copy for me.

Then for my very first PC (a second-hand 386 33MHz in 1995) I got myself Premier Manager 3 and PC Calcio 4.0... I got immediately hooked. At the highest of my fixation with PM3 I could complete one season in one afternoon. Still have my Stockport savegame somewhere

Finally one day at the local VG store I spotted a copy of CM 96/97 and it was the beginning of a very long (and troubled) love affair with the Collyer Brother's creature.

Been here since CM1 - The Italian Ruud Gullit version.

My favs are;

CM2: 97/98

And

CM01/02 which in my opinion was the peak of football management sims. I hate 3d graphics, much prefer the text or 2d at most because I like to imagine what the goals are like.

I still play CM0102 to this day due to all the updates kicking about but my favourite FM game and I have bought every version, my favourite by far is FMH 2013. The closest you can get to CM0102. A scaled up PC version of FMH would be great. I hope Si go in this direction with FM Classic but I dont think Classic mode is a patch on HANDHELD.

20100616_140313_454.jpg

This was my first game , i think..

I played every FM/CM game since then..

Who played this game ?

I for one. Absolutely LOVED it! But like you, CM/FM since then - the whole journey.

Hmm it was Champ Man back in the early 90s that made me sneak over to my friends house spend weekends, skip school and of course get me all fascinated with computers. Ooh the wonder of it all

All the way.

I dread to think how much time I've spent over the years. Done some insane things (All nighters, skipping weeks of college at a time, asking my Mum to act as the Queen....)

It's been an absolute blast though, and here's to the next 20.

I started in 1991. My first was Multi player Soccer Manager on Commodore 64. I remember playing it all weekend with one of my mates staying over and not going to bed until my dad came in and caught us still on it at 4am. You could win at least 4-0 every game if you had 4 defenders and 6 midfielders with no strikers, lol.

Championship Manager 3 was my first SI one, I have had most of them since then.

Cm 97/98 still probably the most fun version I have payed to date. Remember loading up a new game & having all the club titlebars flash at the top of the screen while shortlisting. Shevchenko played for minor team. Great days

Anyone remember this?

F5uUyzj.png

LZXTONI.png

I can't remember what I played first, but I've been through the lot. Off the Ball, The Manager (BMP), Sensible, Ultimate Soccer Manager. Championship Manager '93 And CM Italia was my first in the series. Played every version ever since.

I was an intern when I first started playing CM, and was told off for looking really tried at work. Twenty years later we hired some interns, and as I was walking through the office, I noticed one of my interns quickly alt-tabbing his screen. I could have sworn it looked like Football Manager, I could have laughed, and then I realized I had come full circle and needed to come back from my time off from the game since 2008....ooh just when the gf thought they'd have me all to herself..they lose me again. That reminds me, I better go get this gf a ring...marry her.. then buy a new PC for FM14

I started off with this one:

Championship_Manager_

So I think that means I missed one sadly.

Same here, got it for my 10th birthday. Missed out on CM1 (which had fictional players iirc)

I started off whit CM2 and have been playing it ever since

yes from the start, what a journey it has been as well to see how it has evolved over the past 2 decades, god i feel old lol.

I can remember "soccer boss" player Scooby used to break a leg in the 1st game and leave the game. So you needed to place a 1 level player in his position.

anyone remember a spectrum game called "striker" where you was put through on goal and had to direct you shot into the goal and the arrow went faster the higher up the leagues you played?

I played Kevin Toms football manager and still have it somewhere in the loft.... Championship Manager (italia) was the best for me, European Cup was impossible to win :(

Anyone remember this?

F5uUyzj.png

LZXTONI.png

I can't remember what I played first, but I've been through the lot. Off the Ball, The Manager (BMP), Sensible, Ultimate Soccer Manager. Championship Manager '93 And CM Italia was my first in the series. Played every version ever since.

I loved The Manager; playing birmingham city all the way into the premiership. Loved it.

CM italia was the first, was very addicted on CM3, CM4 not so much, then after the split i've played almost all versions more sporadically (or should i say healthier?! LOL)

as for other games of the genre, USM and Fifa Soccer Manager were also huge time sinkers.....!

Anyone remember this?

F5uUyzj.png

LZXTONI.png

I loved that game! I remember thinking how the manager on the right in your screenshot looked just like Frank McLintock!