TWENTY YEARS - How many have been here the whole journey?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football Manager for the ZX Spectrum for me too.

Played loads since then. Loved both Tracksuit Manager and The Double, and Football Director was great too. Used to get a lot of mail order ones for the Spectrum/Amiga, the names of which elude me. Tactical Manager I think was one. Played a wee tune whilst the scores came in. Had an in-game editor too, so you could do all your own transfers for all the teams.

Then the first CM game came along, and as others have said, it blew everything else away. The Premier Manager series on the Amiga was good too, mind, as was the LMA series on the PS1.

All the way to FM13 today, the best one yet by some way.

Sensible world of soccer was where I started whenever I went around my grandads, then I moved on to premier manager on the mega drive, and playstation. I didn't get a PC until I was 13 as I largely wasn't into computers that much, began getting into the CM series about a year later, playing Alex Ferguson's player manager alongside it (at the time liked the idea of being a player too, which wasn't even in the game /QQ) which was around 2002 and then when FM came out in its current incarnation I switched to that.

I remember playing the Kevin Toms one, but was more in to MPSM - Multi Player Soccer Manager on the spectrum.

Started with the original CM and played and owned every one since. I remember upgrading the first family PC a few times just to run CM games, like our original 486SX PC which didn't have a CD drive.

I'm 32 and feel old now lol

Started with Football Manager back on the Spectrum,man I would play that game so long I was afraid the adapter would blow,still remember always asking my Mum if I could eat my dinner upstairs,it worked for a while but I think they begun to forget what I actually looked like.

Did not get into CM until 97/98,pretty sure it played a big part in the break up of my relationship I had with a girl at the time,man even when she was talking about how we had to sit down and talk about selling the house I was still thinking of my Bristol Rovers save and how I needed a new striker :p

Think the only time I have had a break from CM/FM since then was with CM4.

Luckily these days I have a wife that is not as needy as the other girl(hate those types :p),unfortunately I am not playing this FM anywhere near as much as I did in the past...go figure :p

Champ' Man' 98 was my first game, at the age of 12. Enjoyed it so much that I've played every year apart from 2011. For me, 2001 was the greatest, light years ahead of any other football management simulation at it's time. 2001 was the greatest, but I enjoyed FM08 the most. A vast career starting with York, then Palace, to Everton, then Manchester United, Abroad to Barcelona, before back to United and finishing 40 years later with York. Great times. Wasted so much of my life on this game i should feel immensely guilty. So guilty that I'm playing FM13 as I type. Just conceded to Man City, Dzeko scored after starting the match #unrealisticFM

Mine must have been Kevin Toms' game. Then a while later, I got the first Collyer Bros CM Domark game (the one with entirely generated players in it). I remember being like the cat that got the cream when they released the next year's version with REAL PLAYERS!! Pretty much have bought every version since.

Thats right.... you have a better memory than me. From the second one onwards you could choose whether to have the database or the generated players. Still remember the joy of signing on ageing John Barnes for Brighton!

Wrote my MA while playing FM and most of the coursebooks Ive written have had Fm running as I typed.

I started out with this bad boy then every version since. Some great times thats for sure

Championship_Manager_Coverart.png

Me too. I can remember printing out match reports, the scores and player ratings etc on a dot matrix printer and keeping them in a ring binder. Still had seasons and seasons worth until a few years ago! Life has never been the same since opening that little red box....

What a trip down memory lane.

I have been playing since '93 as well. Every CM bought up untill the split, where I went for FM.

So many hours spent playing network games with the friends, and so many seasons played. Wish I had applied as much effort in to school and university as I have FM. :)

Started with CM back in '92, on the Amiga :)

Before that, the original football manager (and football manager 2) and also "Soccer Supremo" on the Atari ST, which I bet a lot of folks here never heard about *grins*

soccer_supremo_crysys_2.gif

I used to play Football Manager 2 for hours on the Atari ST (could 520 be correct?).

That's where i got the taste for those kind of games.

A friend had CM 93 (i think) and we would play for hours

A few years later we bought an IBM Aptiva and the first game i bought was CM 97/98.

Been hooked ever since. That was the best and worst thing that ever happened to me.

Me too. I can remember printing out match reports, the scores and player ratings etc on a dot matrix printer and keeping them in a ring binder. Still had seasons and seasons worth until a few years ago! Life has never been the same since opening that little red box....

So the question is, can we still print out those same handy "all in one goals/assists/average rating screen" printouts that we used to??

I've still got loads from when Roberto Baggio took my Palermo term to endless Scudetti.

does anyone remember what version or brand had really detailed manager descriptions and tactics explained properly?

it was when roy evans was in charge at liverpool, it had amazing detail explaining how the 5-3-2 he used changed quickly to a 3-5-2 when in possesion

of corse it never really showed it n game, but i used to love reading everyones different profiles

and roy keane was left rotting all game in the manc reserves, but if you bought him he was a 96 and the best midfielder in game!

My 1st attempt at cm/fm was this below

Championship_Manager_01_02_cover.jpg

So it's only been around 12-13 years for me. So I would of been around 23-24 years of age. Had a very good understanding of Soccer/European Football at that stage anyway.

My first version as well. I went from not knowing anything about football(actually hated it) to watching it more than any other sport.

I've been here the twenty years - I was aged 6 playing the first CM!

When I was in 18 and in Sixth Form (early 2004) I worked out that in those 18 years, approximately 2 full years of them had been spent playing CM/FM. I'm secretly quite proud of that fact... I also so vividly remember when my Dad brought CM1993 with the 1994 update disc boxset - it was the day that Virgin Megastores opened in Walsall, I can seriously remember every moment of that day.

Still play CM1993/1994. Would so love to play 01/02 too but think that's not possible for Mac :(. And play other old-school manager games through Boxer, such as Premier Manager (remember the anti-piracy spinning wheel for that?!) and USM2.

Started with Kevin Toms Football Manager on C64, The Boss and then the first CM and owned most of the games since (even if I hardly played a few of them). For instance, still mainly playing my first save game on FM10 when I get time.

An earlier post mentioned paper/cardboard games - for me that was a game called Logacta. Bought by mail order and many seasons of dice rolling in the late 70s before home PCs were around.

Started off on the ZX Spectrum with Football Manager and then a management game called United where you had to enter your own player names. You used to be given player boosts if you chose to play dirty or clean! Then onto the Amiga with Premier Manager and Championship Manager. Took a break for a few years after CM4 as it was poor and life started to get in the way. I came back into the fold a couple of years ago with FM 11. Another sad 40 year old playing football management games. I love it!

This thread has brought back some memories!!! I tried all the games mentioned above before the original CM came along (I did buy the one with the generated players, but didn't enjoy that one much - loved it since the real player versions came in though!). Pre CM I played Football Director for years. Best version of CM/FM in my humble opinion was CM01/02 (did incredibly well with Leeds United - even managing to sell Viduka and Kewell for over £40million each!). I seem to vaguely recall Sheffield Wednesday being pretty good on CM93 (I am old!!).

Not so keen yet on the latest version though so currently back on FM12.

First one I played was the first CM2 game, which I believe was the 95/96 season. Don't think I bought 96/97, but I know I've owned every version from 97/98 until now. Seeing as how I was 10 or 11 when I played the first one, and since that version wasn't available in Swedish, I give a lot of credit for my English skills to Sports Interactive.

Started with CM99/00 at the age of 13. I occasionally go away for a year or so as I lose interest but always come back. Aged 26, still here. I'm not sure I'll ever give up the game 100%, although as I get busier and busier it gets harder to find the time to play it properly like I like it.

How sad is this?!? Guys in their mid-forties STİLL PLAYING football manager ;)

Late forties here. A friend told me about CM 01-02 while we played together in a dice baseball league here in the States. I still play that game from time to time -- I remember wibble-wobble fondly.

Late forties here. A friend told me about CM 01-02 while we played together in a dice baseball league here in the States. I still play that game from time to time -- I remember wibble-wobble fondly.

I feel so much in good company - 45 but still play FM like Im 25!

I started around the turn of the century. Im pretty sure it was damn impossible to get a copy of CM in north america back then unless you went and picked one up personally from Europe. Before the days of ordering things Online...

i have bought , borrowed and abused nearly every football manager game since the early 90s

starting from commodore 64 , onto amiga the some form of laptop

ive had nearly every champ man / fm - i know i missed fm 08

my all time fav game is defo player manger from anco - good grief i lost some hours playing that game - and guess what - i still have it on an emulator lol

what was the game called where you could water the plant ??? and talk on the phone lol i can still hear that funny noise now

My 1st attempt at cm/fm was this below

Championship_Manager_01_02_cover.jpg

So it's only been around 12-13 years for me. So I would of been around 23-24 years of age. Had a very good understanding of Soccer/European Football at that stage anyway.

This was mine as well. The demo came free with a box of Cinnamon Grahams.

Got hooked and only really played the demo (as my pc back then was terrible, plus it lasted like 2 seasons). I finally got the full game of CM01/02 something like 2 years later.

i have bought , borrowed and abused nearly every football manager game since the early 90s

starting from commodore 64 , onto amiga the some form of laptop

ive had nearly every champ man / fm - i know i missed fm 08

my all time fav game is defo player manger from anco - good grief i lost some hours playing that game - and guess what - i still have it on an emulator lol

what was the game called where you could water the plant ??? and talk on the phone lol i can still hear that funny noise now

Ultimate soccer manager

I can remember playing the first CM, my mate had a copy and i went round to his, completely hooked straight and begged my parents to buy me a copy for myself (they didn't!!). Played everyone one since i reckon, my personal favourites being CM 01/02 (the days of Skalidis and Papadopoulos playing up front) and FM2008!

I have also owned loads of others that have been mentioned including Premier Manager 98, Ultimate Soccer Manager, FIFA Manager (was bloody awful!!) and one that i can't remember the name of which automatically had all of the leagues around the world loaded. Was a great game, gave it to a mate and never saw it again! Was gutted!

Overall 20 years well spent!!

"Football Manager 3"- Fairly obscure title which would inevitably have at least three or four 7-7 draws in each week's set of results.

USM2- Would totally overrate Southend United, leading to them becoming an unstoppable superpower within at least 4 seasons.

FA Premier League Manager 99- I was in awe of its now garish blue, green and orange interfaces. Man Utd would ALWAYS be relegated in the first season, Bury would replace them, & the game would crash after 3 seasons.

funnily enough LMA Manager for ps1 was what got me into management games, was epic them games..... but then oh my I discovered my older brothers copy of CM 2002/2003 I think it was that year.

Used to sneak on when he was at College and later University (cause he was a tight ****) until I got my own PC.

Very similar to me if im honest. I started with LMA till i went to a mates who had CM99/00 (although it was around 02/03 when i discovered that copy) bought myself CM4 haven't missed a title since.

Also from the very beginning here.

Remember the days where there were only a few abroad players to buy. One of the best players to buy was Roy Keane, out of Nottingham Forrest... And Gazza was probably the best player you could buy from abroad.

One thing I hated very much was the security system.. Entering scores to get in.. remember always trying 2-1 as that was the most common :)

Loving this thread. Been playin manager games since the late 80's on the zx spectrum including the likes of soccer boss and soccer director. Lost weekends round my mates playing hot seat games on cm93 lol I used to buy any manager game because of cm including track suit manager, tactical manager, U.S.M and kk's player manager on the snes. 32 now and loving fm13 more than ever and am lucky enough to have a wife who is an avid call of duty player so still get time for a good few hours hehe

Archived