Miiksern's 4-2-3-1 Deep - Clean sheets please!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2hkxkw

http://www.mediafire.com/?u97ci2x8f5rt2v7 <-- The Tactic (For those who don't want to read this very very important wall of text)

Funny story behind this tactic actually. I don't normally make my own tactics, been downloading them as long as I can remember. But with the troubles everyone seem to have on this patch, I decided to pull out the old and trusted TT&F09 and see if I could create something that'd be rock solid defensively.

Being a Man Utd supporter it's kind of funny that I landed on the 5x5 theory that Rafa Benitez used when managing Liverpool to build the tactic around:

5×5 Theory

Manager Type: Rafa Benitez

Although Benitez doesn’t come immediately to mind as a Libertarian, his structural approach to tactics is a simple one, relying on five players to defend and five to attack. Although he has transformed Liverpool into a team that is very difficult to break down, criticisms remain with regard to his attacking intentions and lack of width. In typical Spanish manner, Benitez wants his front five to play with creativity and flair, unlocking opposing defences via quick-fire passing interchanges. Without players who have the vision and touch to unlock defences in tight areas this translates into many efficient but dour matches. However, with the right players and creative freedom allowances up front, scintillating attacking play will complement resolute defence.

Credit: Asmodeus

That's the direct quote from TT&F09.

Since I wanted a defensively stable tactic, I decided 4-2-3-1 deep was the way to go and the 5x5 theory sounded like it fit my project well. The goal of the tactic is to keep a clean sheet. You won't keep a clean sheet every game obviously(Most of them though, hopefully!) but i'm happy with how the tactic plays and the shape it keeps when you're not in possession.

I used QPR for most of the testing, and I had some pretty impressive matches against strong sides. Didn't win all of them, but you won't. Sad fact :( the game is sometimes utterly cruel!

Match Prep and Pre season:

This is what I do, doesn't mean you have to, but in order to get the tactic fluid as quickly as possible I arrange atleast 8 friendlies before the season starts, put the team training on Team Cohesion - High and Match Prep on 50% tactics only. (No rest before or after matches till the season starts) If it's not fluid by the first league (Or cup) game I keep it like that until it is(only adding the rest days). Once the tactic is fluid, I've been using teamwork as match prep for home games I should win, but this could be changed to defending set pieces or attacking movement(I seem to get funny numbers both ways with attacking movement so i'm kinda on the fence on wether I want to use it or not) and defending set pieces for away games. For the games against strong sides I normally go for defensive positioning.

No OI's have been used.

Team talks:

I'm normally assertive at home and calm away, using common sense(and sometimes the advice of my assistant if he has decent motivation and man management) and always aim to keep the morale high.

The Tactic explained:

GK- He should be decent with the ball at his feet as the CB's quite often play it back to him and he lays it out for one of the fullbacks, other than that, just as good as you can get really.

FB's- Prioritise defensive stats before attacking stats. They are not wingbacks who bomb forward.

CB's- Aerial ability is important along with being able to pass the ball a short distance, I like my defenders to have decent mental stats ( Determination, Concentration, Anticipation, Composure )

DMCr - Anchor man. Decent Aerial ability is a plus.

DMCl - Think DLP. A good passer preforms very well here. If he has the "Get's forward whenever possible" PPM, he'll chip in with quite a few goals.

Wingers - For me it seems like having right footed right wingers and vice versa works best.

AMC - Think AP. As good as you can get.

ST - Pacey striker, being able to link up with the other players is a plus.

It's made in classic mode so just Plug & Play, any feedback, good and especially bad is much appreciated!

OK so, i played with Swansea. First season was a blast. Ended up in 4th place with everyone playing pretty good. But then season 2 came. I didnt change my whole team, just made some reinforcements, but i got hit BAD by second season syndrome. I couldn't buy a win in the league and ended up getting fired in november whilst sitting in 18th place. Any tips for tweaks that can make a team resurge in the 2nd season?

OK so, i played with Swansea. First season was a blast. Ended up in 4th place with everyone playing pretty good. But then season 2 came. I didnt change my whole team, just made some reinforcements, but i got hit BAD by second season syndrome. I couldn't buy a win in the league and ended up getting fired in november whilst sitting in 18th place. Any tips for tweaks that can make a team resurge in the 2nd season?

Oh wow. That sounds pretty bad. Managing a streak of poor form is difficult. I haven't encountered the 2nd season syndrome so it's kinda hard for me to give you any solid tips. I assume you tried all the usual crisis solving moves( team meetings, player interactions etc.) I'll have a look and see if I can come up with some alternatives for you when I get home from work. Got some other shapes based on the same principles lying around but they haven't been thoroughly tested yet.

yeah, i talked to my players and held meetings but based on that massive overachievement in the 1st season we just sucked ass. And got fired following a 1-0 defeat to norwich. Starting a new game with Chelsea and will try to buy even less players. seem to be the downfall of many tactics

After winning the npower Championship with ease the first season with Wolves, i've made a pretty decent start to the new season, can't really say i've noticed any indication of a second season syndrome. I'm not sure why you had such a bad streak Supersplash, how did your Chelsea save go?

The Squad:

1342258.jpeg

League table:

1342259.jpeg

Fixtures:

1342261.jpeg

Best matches:

1342262.jpeg

after losing 3-2 with a slightly weakened lineup, I fielded a full strength side in the league :)

1342265.jpeg

1342270.jpeg

If Hennessey hadn't had such a bad day at the office that result might have been different :(

I've made a high pressing 4-2-3-1 wide for when the team needs a goal, opposition has had a player sent off or you're massive favourite to win:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qr0hxr

It's based on the same principles but it has a high d-line, offside trap and high closing down, so fast defenders with good positioning is a must if anyone plans on using it regularly.

Your alternative version with the inside forwards is pure genius, started using your tactic beginning of February was lying 3rd with Arsenal! I am now top of the table 4 points clear of Man City and just got through to the semi-finals of champs league! You dont even need to play right foot on left wing vice versa. Im using Podolski on the left and Gervinho on the right with Wilshere Amc & Soldado up front. Am just half way through April & since switched to this my record is 8wins 3draws 1loss(against Man Utd away) Podolski cant stop scoring!!!

Your alternative version with the inside forwards is pure genius, started using your tactic beginning of February was lying 3rd with Arsenal! I am now top of the table 4 points clear of Man City and just got through to the semi-finals of champs league! You dont even need to play right foot on left wing vice versa. Im using Podolski on the left and Gervinho on the right with Wilshere Amc & Soldado up front. Am just half way through April & since switched to this my record is 8wins 3draws 1loss(against Man Utd away) Podolski cant stop scoring!!!

Awesome.

Okay so with the IF tactic ive put the d-line up to 1st notch of push up, tick play offside, use playmaker & use target man. Also have set target man supply to run onto ball. Dont actually select a target man or playmaker, its ticked as gets the ball up the field faster. Last 6 games have won by 2 or more goals and only conceded 3 goals in all 6 games. Have made it to champs league final & just won the prem with 2 games spare!!

Seems like the new patch has messed this up a bit. Using the tactic I finished 5th and then 3rd in the Portuguese second division (would probably have finished 2nd or 1st in that second season but at the start of the season I did try with another tactic but switched back as this one was better).

Now started my third season and I've got a great squad now so should easily win the league (I'm predicted to finish 2nd) but I've only managed 5 straight draws since playing on 13.2

Any ideas about whether it will be updated?

Seems like the new patch has messed this up a bit. Using the tactic I finished 5th and then 3rd in the Portuguese second division (would probably have finished 2nd or 1st in that second season but at the start of the season I did try with another tactic but switched back as this one was better).

Now started my third season and I've got a great squad now so should easily win the league (I'm predicted to finish 2nd) but I've only managed 5 straight draws since playing on 13.2

Any ideas about whether it will be updated?

I'm working on updating it for new patch since i've been having mixed results myself but to be honest it's pretty difficult to get the defense working like I want it to. I might need a new approach to things.

I'm working on updating it for new patch since i've been having mixed results myself but to be honest it's pretty difficult to get the defense working like I want it to. I might need a new approach to things.

And now there's been another new patch just to mess it up for you again...no worries bud.

Archived