Sports Interactive Community
mimland

My DoF has lost his mind if he ever had one

Playing in the bottom of the the english system has proven to be a good challange so far. Playing without the use of playersearch I'm totally in the hands of my backroom staff, newsitems and so on. Ever since my second season I have however had almost 0 use of my scouts since they have been unable to find any players for the first 6-7 months of the season after that they have come up with a handful or so. Combining this with the fact that it is really really difficult to hold on to your players once their contract is about to run out has left me with a squad that hardly even cover the basics for the first half of the season.

To try and find a player or two I put the responsibility on my DoF and he has actually managed to find and sign a couple of decent players over the past couple of seasons but this season I think something has fried his brain. All he seems to find and try to sign are right backs, which would be good if that wasn't the single position we got very well covered with for this level high quality players. The first one he found was a rather decent youngster so I actually picked him up after that he has tried to sign 3 more DRs in a couple of months time and none of them has even been half as good as the ones already in the team. Sure I understand the quality of my staff at this level is rather abmyssal but even a well trained monkey could understand that if you already got more than enough players of a high quality for a position you don't go out and sign more of those. I would like to be able to tell what kind of players I want him to look for without finding them myself and add them to target list.

mine keeps trying to sign right and left midfielders, despite the fact i don't play a wide midfielder or attacking winger on any of my 3 formations.

DoF. Nice idea. Poorly implemented and a completely useless other than for offloading unwanted players. Even then he never gets a better deal than I could have got myself. I'm sure this feature will improve in FM14 but at the moment it's pretty much a waste of time.

mine signed a 4 star newgen... was not pleased, as i was buying 5 stars

until i saw he spent a mere sum of 625k lol

for some reason he loaned out a player that weas being tutored.. yet i have to confirm other loans

Well since I have to confirm everything he hasn't really made much damage but not a lot of good either this season. At least he is better at finding players than my scouts are, just wish he would take a look at the roster before making bids.

I think you'd have to be a little nuts to leave anything in the hands of your DOF! They're pretty useless.

I think you'd have to be a little nuts to leave anything in the hands of your DOF! They're pretty useless.

Well at least he finds players, which my scouts don't.

Mine contstantly tries to sign a regen LW from Liverpool for me for 30million, despite the fact that I have lots of wingers and struggle to rotate them as it is. Not to mention lots of promising players. If I cancel a deal he has made, I should be able to click a box saying 'No longer bid for this player'.

I only really use mine to sell players now.

I like to let him find and make offers for players, just in case he does find me a gem (obviously I approve or reject the transfer).

Currently I'm in the Conference, and each deadline day he routinely tries to loan in every football league player listed for loan.

Mine loves to sign DC/DMC/MC players. Which is fine but he signs too many.

Occasionally he signs a striker and a goalkeeper as well. Which is good.

But he never signs any wingers for me. Which i'm in dire need for.

His preferred formation is 4-4-1-1 and mine is 4-4-2, so i don't see why he won't recognize the need for wingers.

The DOF role and what he actually does that is good for you is hard to tell. I get Franco Baldini to sell of some players sure, but when he tried to sign players for me it was a disaster, he went for A.Schelotto for 27M€! and what the heck am I going to do with that player in a City team?

I had Cryuff for United and he must have had a fetish for Spanish GKs over the age of 35 as he tried to buy 5...after the 3rd one it stopped being funny.

Once again SI add something to the game that is not even close to working...if it's anything like press conferences, expect DoF to be fixed and working properly by FM2018...

DoF and Chairmen are seriously flawed.

As a test I gave my Championship club £2Bn to spend and left the DoF to sign players. Not one of the six he signed before deadline day where good enough to be in the starting XI.

SI please fix!!! :(

The DOF's job is to strengthen the team that you already have.. not overhaul it..

Basically, he looks to plug the gaps you have...

Ie, if the DOF is going for a keeper, he's probably looking to plug the gap that's between your first choice keeper and your second choice.. with a third... etc

The DOF's job is to strengthen the team that you already have.. not overhaul it..

Ie, if the DOF is going for a keeper, he's probably looking to plug the gap that's between your first choice keeper and your second choice.. with a third... etc

Ahhhh that would explain why my DoF on my Chelsea save kept trying to resign Ross Turnbull for twice what he sold him for 12 months previously. He obviously thought the keeper I'd signed to replace Turnbull wasn't good enough. Makes perfect sense. I think.....

That is a really poor excuse for poor programming. That's like saying it's a scout's job to find players who are good enough for your reserves but not your starting XI. If I owned a club and all a DoF came up with was back ups he'd be out of a job.

To be honest how does signing players for the only position we got a very good starter and two good backups count as plugging gaps? Also got 5 good strikers playing one at the time and he does his best to sign a few more of those. It is plugging gaps I would want him to do not try to hoard players in the positions we could do with selling players from.

Guess that's the way it's supposed to work. Unfortunately not the case in my situation. With 2 different DoFs.

Not a bad addition but I do wish there was an option for Managers to "finalise" transfers and loans OUT like you do with transfers and loans IN because I don't trust him very much. At the start of the Summer window he decides to loan out Ravel Morrison - AGAIN -. I take Morrison off the loan list but it still goes through on a non recall loan which is very frustrating.

He has however brought in Matt Phillips and Neil Taylor and Phillips certainly wasn't a player I would have thought of. They look decent enough so time will tell !!

When I take control of a team I always try to bring in players that are better than the ones in the team, usually free transfers or players with potential and I usually try to over achieve. I guess you guys do too. Your DoF, Scouts and your Chairman on the other hand usually try to bring in players that fit your Club’s stature, your league, your transfer and salary budgets and your season’s objective. They will never understand that, overstepping your budget sometimes in order to bring in a great player, will have long term benefits. If your team has a season's objective to avoid relegation and you have found 4-5 players that will easily land you a mid table placement at the end of the season, your DoF will not consider them. They will rather sign 10 mediocre (by our standards) players in order to fill in the various gaps of the team, than to leave you with a 18-20 players squad with usually 2 players per position. You and I know that we can manage, but they are not programmed to take that risk. Your staff is programmed to obey some rules set by the game, whereas we are meant to break them in order to (over)achieve our goals. The DoF is here merely to help you and not replace you. But how can a DoF to a good job? Read on.

A DoF in order to do his job right, needs to have the right stats. His job is mainly to find and sign quality players (in relation to you stature, objectives and financial status) for your youth team. Therefore you will need someone with good scouting stats and a widespread scouting knowledge. You will need someone who prefers the same formation as you do, same playing style and someone who can read your tactics in order to locate and buy suitable players. Most of all, you need someone who is good at negotiating transfers, usually someone with good reputation works wonders. Keep in mind that in most cases the DoF will fail the negotiatons (the rules I mentioned earlier) and you will have to step in and close the deal. This is normal. As long as he finds good players you won’t mind.

As you can see finding a good DoF is a complex thing. He needs to have good stats and if you take into consideration that there are also hidden stats (Buying Players) plus some others, you get the picture. A good DoF is someone with the following stats at least at 15, Determination, Judging Player Ability (JPA), Judging Player Potential (JPP), Adaptability, Tactical Knowledge, Motivation. Someone with a good reputation and someone who has a good scouting knowledge of at least 4-5 Countries.

You also need to understand that in order for your DoF to do a decent job good you also need to have an equally good scouting team, especially, a good Chief Scout. The Chief Scout acts like a buffer between your DoF and your scouting team. He automates some jobs, like filtering scout reports, assigning scouts to regions, selecting which scout to use when you ask a scout report for a player and, last but not least, he creates a pool of scouted players for your DoF to sign players from. The better your scouts, the better the filtration and the fewer trash players your DoF will try to sign. That is why it is important for your scouts to have some of the stats that your DoF has besides JpA and JpP, like Favorite Formation, Tactical Knowledge and such.

So I don’t think your DoF has gone crazy, It looks like he is not as good as you want him to be, because he lacks the necessary stats. Having only a stellar JPA and JPP does not mean that he will get you the guy you would.

In my opinion you should try and hire a DoF only in the higher leagues where you can pair him with an equally good scouting team. Scouts are usually enough on lower leagues where scouting is restricted by your Board of Directors.

Surely though with a DoF you should be able to tell them what positions the club needs strengthening in and what star rating players you think he should be considering . After all its you who is the MANAGER

Yes I agree, but the DoF must also have the ability to judge those players. A 5 star potential or current ability for a DoF is not necessarily an actual 5 star ability or potential. That is why it is important to have a well skilled DoF or Scout. I wanted to sign a player that I knew from a previous game he was a great potential and yet my scouts and the assistant manager advised against signing him. Many times my scout was swearing that a player was a great potential etc etc, but he never played or developed well. FM is a heavily stats based game, the numbers are there for a reason. All we have to do is figure out what they are telling us. Read some guides about selecting your staff and open the database in the editor to take a look at all the hidden stats. You will realize and understand why some seemingly 3 star players outperform 5 star players and why a mediocre staff performs better than another whose obvious stats are well above average.

Surely though with a DoF you should be able to tell them what positions the club needs strengthening in and what star rating players you think he should be considering . After all its you who is the MANAGER

I agree. In my Everton save i need a replacement for Baines. Hes old and just isn't as good as he was. I don't even have a back up as a tried to force the DoF to find one. Mainly because my scouts wheren't finding many and I didn't want to sign a flop. Instead he's persistent in trying to sign an AMR which doesn't even fit our formation.

Now this would be all good, but for if Baines gets injured during the season my only back up is a 1/2 star potential regen. I think my DoF is missing my gap.

The problems with the DoF are the same as those with the squad building of the AI managers. I suspect that in code the DoF is just making the same (sometimes poor) decisions a normal AI manager would.

On the plus side I suppose that means improvements in AI managers will affect the DoF's abilities as well.

So far at Arsenal my DoF has signed a few really good players (Lewis Holtby, Arturo Vidal and Neymar) but he doesnt half put in some bids for fullbacks, he bought santon which i was fine with, but right after he goes and bids on another 2 which i just reject, I am happy nontheless with addition of DoF as it makes it alot less time consuming to get rid of deadwood and also stick younger players on loan for development, just gotta be sure to cancel all transfers you dont want on finalisation.