Having difficulty setting up a functional 4-1-2-2-1

Hey Guys,

I am having difficulty setting up a 4-1-2-2-1 that works and was wondering if you could provide me with any advice.

I started with Nott'm Forest in the championship in my first season and came second in the league with a team that certainly wasn't one of the best in the league, as someone who is generally bad at the game I was pretty pleased with that. I achieved this using a fairly attacking 4-4-2 tactic.

Fast forward to the next season and I'm starting in the prem. Needless to say, I didn't have much success with the 4-4-2. I was constantly dominated by higher quality midfields and left defence too exposed with my attack leaning formation.

So I decided to switch things up a bit and decided on using a 4-1-2-2-1 to provide me with an anchor man to cover the back 4 and an extra man in midfield. One of my most promising youngsters is suited for the inside forward position so I set one of my AMs up as a winger and one as an inside forward.

I just lost without any control of the game at home to another relegation candidate and find myself sitting in 19th with less points than games. That result made me decide to come on here and seek some help.

A couple of things I have noticed: My team is struggling to fashion chances and when the ball is played into my striker he is often isolated and lacks support. When I want the inside forward to have drifted inside he's often sitting out way too wide. I don't want to move his position inward though... I want him to start on the wing but quickly drift into space closer to the centre of the pitch. I can't seem to make this happen :p

Anyways, here's the tactic: http://www.4shared.com/file/igtujAI0/Base_Tac_2.html

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/xXpqC#0

I noticed I have quite a few views and no replies. Is there any further information/screenshots/replays I can provide that will aid in helping me?

You should post some screenshots from your tactic (team instructions, formation, roles, etc.) rather than tactic file - downloading tactic and starting FM takes to much time. :D

You should post some screenshots from your tactic (team instructions, formation, roles, etc.) rather than tactic file - downloading tactic and starting FM takes to much time. :D

Okay sorry, will do now! I at one point recently I recall someone saying the .tac file is the most useful thing... be right back while I take some screenshots!

FM2013 doesn't like lone strikers with often forward runs (because of collision detection) - role with mixed or even rare fwd runs is recommended (DLS/support, TQ, CF/support, etc.), it can be compensated by often runs for one CM. You have wigback on left so maybe DLP as MCl and CM/attack as MCr with winger/support as AMR should create some balance in your tactic.

FM2013 doesn't like lone strikers with often forward runs (because of collision detection) - role with mixed or even rare fwd runs is recommended (DLS/support, TQ, CF/support, etc.), it can be compensated by often runs for one CM. You have wigback on left so maybe DLP as MCl and CM/attack as MCr with winger/support as AMR should create some balance in your tactic.

Thanks, I will make adjustments based on your feedback and report back on how it goes!!!!

Archived