FM2012 - Narrow 4-5-1 some help

I have been lurking for awhile, and i decided to make my first post about a formation i have been tinkering with for a bit. Which is part of the reason I haven't yet switched to fm13. I used to be a big fan of using skillful, pacy wingers and having them cut inside and score plenty of goals. However, i don't like how I seem to lose the battle in midfield. I wanted more bodies there so that I could choke any team with possession. Although most people find them boring, I love the way Spain & Barcelona effectively dominate any team they play. Its amazing to watch.

(disclaimer, this isn't me trying to build a Spain tactic. I don't want that)

Lately I have also been a fan of asymmetrical tactics. Not only just with the way they look but the way I see my team playing.

Here is what I have managed to get working for me:

-----------------------------------------------P(a)----------------------------------

-----------------------------------IF(a)------AM(a)--------------------------------

-----------------------------------------AP(s)-----BWM(s)------------------------

----WBL(a)-----DLP(d)------------------------------------------WBR(d)-------

------------------------------CD(d)--------CD(d)----------------------------------

------------------------------------- SK(d)-------------------------------------------

GK: Sweeper Keeper - Defend

DC: Central Defender - Defend

DC: Central Defender - Defend

WBL: Wing Back - Attack

DMCL: Deep-Lying Playmaker - Defend

WBR: Wing-Back - Defend

MC: Advanced Playmaker - Support

MCR: Ball-Winning Playmaker - Support

AMCL: Inside Forward - Attack

AMCR: Attacking Midfielder - Attack

STCR: Poacher - Attack

Settings:

Philosophy - Balanced

Strategy - Control

Passing Style - Short

Creative Freedom - Default

Closing Down - More Pressing

Tackling - More Cautious

Marking - Zonal

Crossing - Default

Roaming - No Roaming

Defensive Line - High

Width - Narrow

Tempo - Slow

Time Wasting - less

Focus Passing - Through Middle

Counter - yes

Offside - yes

I also have the playmaker ticked for the DLP.

I'm in 2014 and currently manager of both Spain & Valencia. I instituted this formation for both teams in the summer and here are my results so far:

Fixtures:

Intl Friendly (v Slovakia, Home) 2-0

Spanish Super Cup First Leg (v Barcelona, Home) 1-0

Spanish Super Cup Second Leg (v Barcelona, Away) 1-0

Liga (v Deportivo, Away) 2-0

Euro Super Cup (v Tottenham, Neutral) 2-1

Liga (v Ossasuna, Home) 1-0

Intl Friendly (v Russia, Away) 1-0

Euro 2016 Qual (v Romania, Away) 1-0

Liga (v Villareal, Away) 3-1

CL (v Leverkusen, Away) 4-0

Liga (v Sporting, Home) 2-1

Liga (v Athletic, Away) 3-1

Liga (v At Madrid, Home) 2-0

My problem with this tactic is that I can't seem to score as much as I was last season. I'm finding my top goal scorer last season is being isolated and he still hasn't scored a goal for me this season. Most of my shots are being wasted due to them being long shots from my midfielders, so I switched it to rarely for everybody except my inside forward. But I'm still finding that most of them are still coming from distance. I'm using the work ball into box shout to try to cut down on it, but its not working as much as I hoped.

So I guess my question is how do i get my Striker to start scoring again? Should i change his role or should i just be content I'm winning with Torres' younger brother up front...

Hi there,

I used tactics like you.

İf you use striker poacher , his stuck in defends. I used Trequesta or Complete forward(support). Then his came out box and create goal or important pass. Maybe it helps

this tactics become 4-3-3 , 4-2-3-1 and sometimes 4-4-2 in match.

This is my tactics;

-----------------------------------T/CF-----------------------------------

-------------------------------------------AP(Attack)----------------------

DW(A)---------------BBM-----------------------------------------------------DW(A)

--------------------------------DLP(Support)----------------------------------------

WB(A)-----------------CD(D)------------------CD(X)--------------------------WB(A)

-------------------------------------SK(A)-----------------------------------------

Settings:

Philosophy - FLUİD

Strategy - Control

Passing Style - Short

Tackling - More Cautious

Marking - MAN

Crossing - Default

Roaming - default

Defensive Line - Default

Width - Default

Tempo - Default

Time Wasting - default

Focus Passing - Default

Counter - NO

Offside - NO

if team in attack;

this tactics turn just 2 defence back rest of team in attack , if they try counter attack DLP and CD cut it quickly.

if we are defence just T/CF in forward rest of team do defence.

And 1 important thing is gk must pass to defence goal kick.

This is strong tactics ı have ever made.

sorry for my bad english, ı hope it helps

Hi there,

I used tactics like you.

İf you use striker poacher , his stuck in defends. I used Trequesta or Complete forward(support). Then his came out box and create goal or important pass. Maybe it helps

this tactics become 4-3-3 , 4-2-3-1 and sometimes 4-4-2 in match.

This is my tactics;

-----------------------------------T/CF-----------------------------------

-------------------------------------------AP(Attack)----------------------

DW(A)---------------BBM-----------------------------------------------------DW(A)

--------------------------------DLP(Support)----------------------------------------

WB(A)-----------------CD(D)------------------CD(X)--------------------------WB(A)

-------------------------------------SK(A)-----------------------------------------

Settings:

Philosophy - FLUİD

Strategy - Control

Passing Style - Short

Tackling - More Cautious

Marking - MAN

Crossing - Default

Roaming - default

Defensive Line - Default

Width - Default

Tempo - Default

Time Wasting - default

Focus Passing - Default

Counter - NO

Offside - NO

if team in attack;

this tactics turn just 2 defence back rest of team in attack , if they try counter attack DLP and CD cut it quickly.

if we are defence just T/CF in forward rest of team do defence.

And 1 important thing is gk must pass to defence goal kick.

This is strong tactics ı have ever made.

sorry for my bad english, ı hope it helps

Well my striker managed to finally score in my next game, a 3-0 win away to Dinamo Zagreb, so i'm happy with that. Although looking back on the match, you're right. he is getting isolated a lot. He barely touches the ball in fact, so I always seem to be playing with ten men. I was thinking of switching him to DLF so that he can get more involved in the build up. I would use a CF except for the fact that he's a pure Poacher. All he can do is score goals.

I find trequatistas are hit and miss. Sometimes they are incredible and destroy teams on their own, other times they are completely invisible.

Don't you find your defenders being pulled out of position using Man Marking? I have never been a fan of it.

Archived