How many of you play "full match" using the Tactic Creator?

Sorry to start a new thread for this but I wasn't sure where to ask the question otherwise. It may be a strange question to ask by someone who has rarely used the TC and is a self confessed Classic Tactic Manager but it is just something that has occurred to me.

In the forums there seems to be a lot of angst against the game and especially against the ME and yet I haven't noticed any real questions as to how people play their matches. On full? Highlights? Key Highlights? so forth. I play due to time constraints on extended highlights as not every move will be a goal but at the same time it allows me to play a few games at a time. This is one of the reasons why I play classic as well. Three tactics, a defensive'ish one, regular and attacking and it works fine for me because I just switch and swap depending on how things are going.

The Tactics Creator is a great tool but I found it relies heavily on "shouts" and it has always occurred to me that these shouts will only really be effective if you are fully aware on how a match is going and the only way to be fully aware of that is to watch a game in full is it not? If you are watching on highlights there surely is a bigger margin for error when using shouts because you aren't fully up to speed in what is going on. So it has intrigued me as to how many of you that are struggling with the game watch a match in it's entirety because I am just wondering if half of the problems are down to shouts being used in highlighted games that don't have the desired effect?

I always play out the full match. It takes forever to complete a season, but if you're still trying to learn the concept of tactics and how your shouts are working, this is the only way to go. I've even done a rewind, just to watch things over again i.e. goals and positioning. I've learned much just by doing that.

I personally play using the TC, shouts and opp instructions and usually extended highlights, a few times ill switch to full game if im in a bad run, or if i find the same things keep happening, but for the most part its highlights. I usually play the game in 15 minute periods, the first 15 are usually left for the team bedding into the game and riding off the back of the team talk, depending on whats happened in the first 15 i then move onto my shout combo's i have set up, i did have 8 a week or so ago, now after doing some reading (wwfan and cleon to thank ) im up to 11 different set ups, ranging from simple ones like "get ball forward" and "work ball into box" or "drop deeper" and "stand off" to more complicated ones like "play narrow" "exploit the middle" and "pass into space". I rarely change anything in the tactics screen, i find the shouts are far more dynamic and let me really play the way id want, i know the shouts are just slider set ups i could do, but they really do make things so much easier.

I have no idea why you would still use the sliders and classic tactics with the TC and shouts already there, for me its such a simple and effective system. I'm not bashing anyone before the usual few posters come in and hammer me, its just the way i see it.

Hi Sussex,

as a matter of fact i though i was the only one watching full matches. :)

I never used the tactic creator and i rely heavily on shouts during the match.

My experience is that the players react very well and fast to shouts when used correctly.

My Favourite formation is 4-3-3 with 1 DM and 2 Wingers and i use mostly pass into space (to avoid opposition closing), run at defence (wingers run with ball up to goal line to cross) and get ball in box (less long shots).

I personally play using the TC, shouts and opp instructions and usually extended highlights, a few times ill switch to full game if im in a bad run, or if i find the same things keep happening, but for the most part its highlights. I usually play the game in 15 minute periods, the first 15 are usually left for the team bedding into the game and riding off the back of the team talk, depending on whats happened in the first 15 i then move onto my shout combo's i have set up, i did have 8 a week or so ago, now after doing some reading (wwfan and cleon to thank ) im up to 11 different set ups, ranging from simple ones like "get ball forward" and "work ball into box" or "drop deeper" and "stand off" to more complicated ones like "play narrow" "exploit the middle" and "pass into space". I rarely change anything in the tactics screen, i find the shouts are far more dynamic and let me really play the way id want, i know the shouts are just slider set ups i could do, but they really do make things so much easier.

I have no idea why you would still use the sliders and classic tactics with the TC and shouts already there, for me its such a simple and effective system. I'm not bashing anyone before the usual few posters come in and hammer me, its just the way i see it.

Ha ha, not offended by the "bashing"!!!

Great thing about FM is everyone has an opinion and a way of playing so hopefully it will stay that way. I just prefer classic as I have tried the TC and just don't get on with it, I actually think it "over complicates" things but that's just my opinion. I enjoy setting up my own tactics and with the TC I just feel that once you sort your tactic out and then use 11 different shouts it becomes a totally different tactic to the one you started with. To me it feels like you are playing with someone else's ideas and feel like I have downloaded someone else's tactic rather than using my own but that's just me. It's a great tool and a great benefit to some but I am not the most patient so when using it if things weren't working I would use a shout and within seconds I would shout something else and just get annoyed with it. With classic most of my settings are on mixed as personally I think it just gives a few more options and at the same time if it's not working I know where I am going wrong because I never stray too far from my original setup. I'm not saying I am right, I am probably totally wrong but that's the way I am happy playing. I probably wouldn't buy the game if classic tactics were taken out.

However, the question was just about whether peoples problems could be linked to just aimless shouts in highlight mode because whilst the right shout could be a great decision a wrong shout could be a disaster.

Ha ha, not offended by the "bashing"!!!

Great thing about FM is everyone has an opinion and a way of playing so hopefully it will stay that way. I just prefer classic as I have tried the TC and just don't get on with it, I actually think it "over complicates" things but that's just my opinion. I enjoy setting up my own tactics and with the TC I just feel that once you sort your tactic out and then use 11 different shouts it becomes a totally different tactic to the one you started with. To me it feels like you are playing with someone else's ideas and feel like I have downloaded someone else's tactic rather than using my own but that's just me. It's a great tool and a great benefit to some but I am not the most patient so when using it if things weren't working I would use a shout and within seconds I would shout something else and just get annoyed with it. With classic most of my settings are on mixed as personally I think it just gives a few more options and at the same time if it's not working I know where I am going wrong because I never stray too far from my original setup. I'm not saying I am right, I am probably totally wrong but that's the way I am happy playing. I probably wouldn't buy the game if classic tactics were taken out.

However, the question was just about whether peoples problems could be linked to just aimless shouts in highlight mode because whilst the right shout could be a great decision a wrong shout could be a disaster.

The bit in bold is one of the best things about FM, and your right, long may it continue! I'd hate to think everyone played exactly like me, that would make the game boring and limited. Also everyone has their own view, i never really understood exactly what the sliders did in all the years of using, them, i just knew how to get a team winning, so when the TC came into the game i jamp on it as quick as i could, never looked back since. When they shouts came in a few years ago i was delighted as again i personally find it makes things so simple. I have almost all my basic tactics on default settings except the pressing one, i like that to be at press more, everything else is default settings, default roles and from there all my changes are done through shouts. I just like reacting to a single situation with one button, not having to pause, change a few sliders then get back at it.

Sorry if i didnt answer the OP properly! You could be right the wrong shout could ruin a game, as much as the correct one could win it.

ditto playing with the tc and shouts seems to work for me.

I've generally always watched the full game and I've never used the TC other than to create the basic tactic. I have then tweaked sliders to buggery, generally getting my West Ham team to perform reasonably well over a few seasons. Never touched shouts etc. If I was winning by 2 goals and looking comfortable I would go to Key.

However with FM13 I am struggling with this approach. Played first season finishing 11th,which was not bad, but with up and down consistency. I started my second season after latest .3 patch and last night I was sacked after 13 games. Partly that was me trying different tactics out but also what I had working in season 1 struggled.

I have decided to give the TC a try after reading wwfan's post but I do beleive I would need to watch the full match (which I do actually enjoy) to get the best out of a game. Again probably only going to a highlights option if we are ahead and dominating.

I'm trying to develop a tactic of my own (using the TC) and now play the full match, thankfully on full speed it takes about 20 mins a half, also gives me the chance to see whats really going on on the pitch, i've tried switching to comprehensive but i just feel like i'm missing out and switch back almost straight away.

Hey Milner, I think there is definitely margin for error when using shouts, personally I play the game on comprehensive highlights using the tactics creator and shouts. I have however come to notice trends in the statistics which I keep a close eye on. This isn't fool proof but it gives me a pretty good idea of what is happening on the pitch in terms of chances, possession, tackling, crossing, passing etc. This then allows to use an appropriate pre-made shout combo to deal with situation which regularly arise due to my team and tactic.

Hope that helps a bit, but the just is that I think it's possible to use the TC, shouts and highlights, it is however almost always better to watch matches when you have the time.

I've generally always watched the full game and I've never used the TC other than to create the basic tactic. I have then tweaked sliders to buggery, generally getting my West Ham team to perform reasonably well over a few seasons. Never touched shouts etc. If I was winning by 2 goals and looking comfortable I would go to Key.

However with FM13 I am struggling with this approach. Played first season finishing 11th,which was not bad, but with up and down consistency. I started my second season after latest .3 patch and last night I was sacked after 13 games. Partly that was me trying different tactics out but also what I had working in season 1 struggled.

I have decided to give the TC a try after reading wwfan's post but I do beleive I would need to watch the full match (which I do actually enjoy) to get the best out of a game. Again probably only going to a highlights option if we are ahead and dominating.

Just my two cents here, I think the reason you may be doing badly is constant tinkering during the match. This is compounded by the fact that you're using full match and classic sliders. Maybe this has only been happening to me, but I find that when I make more broad general changes and then allow the players to sort of gel into those changes during the match instead of changing something every couple of minutes, the final result is better.

As I say, just my two cents, i'm by no means the expert here :)

Just my two cents here, I think the reason you may be doing badly is constant tinkering during the match. This is compounded by the fact that you're using full match and classic sliders. Maybe this has only been happening to me, but I find that when I make more broad general changes and then allow the players to sort of gel into those changes during the match instead of changing something every couple of minutes, the final result is better.

As I say, just my two cents, i'm by no means the expert here :)

I know, tinkering is almost an addiction! After a while I do eventually settle on a set of tactics and then just make the odd change to maybe width or time wasting, this was certainly the case in FM12. However, reading previous posts this may be seen as just getting to a point where you discover an ME expoit without realising it.

So I'm going to try the TC and specify roles and then watch in full and use the in match shouts etc.

I work off a system, 3 different tactics based on the kinds of teams I am facing. I mostly use one tactic in a season and in most matches I start out with my 'cautious' approach for like the first five minutes, to suss out who is the more attacking side.Then I make my "get a goal" set of shouts switch to extended highlights and assess the kind of highlights I am seeing, if I see a pattern of play where I am dominating usually then i just wait for a goal. If I score a goal, I would just reduce tempo mostly, then suss next set of highlights.

If the extended highlights show my attacks breaking down and me defending, I KNOW something is wrong and I need to tone down and shore up the area they are coming at.

So I derive max value from time spent, now if I am in a match I must win against a superior side and I m hellbent on overachieving then its full highlights,

Archived