Syle of play vs complying succesfully with the Boards expectations

Asked about this in one of wwfan's threads. The first quote box below from wwfan got me thinking since all styles of play can be defensive and attacking what does the Board look at to determine if you are playing according to their expectations? He theorized what might be taken into account on what qualifies as complying with the Board's wishes but said he didn't know for sure. wwfan suggested starting a thread and hopefully getting a response from one the the SI guys responsible for this area of the game. Below is posted the relevant posts from the other thread.. (bolded highlights added by me)

3: Become aware that the strategy names are more plastic than they seem. The defensive strategy still attacks on the counter, whereas the attacking strategy can still be defensively solid. Bar the two extremes (Contain and Overload), each strategy is both defensive and attacking. A good rule of thumb is that if you want to play with a lot of deep midfielders and a short passing game, choose a less attacking strategy, whereas if you want to have high, effective wingers and a direct style, choose a more attacking strategy. Choose and save three core strategies for your trained tactics, but don't worry about the reserve ones or how well trained they are. Just focus on a specific style and use that as your base tactic in all matches until you are becoming more confident about your decision making.

wwfan

I do have a couple of questions regarding "step 3".

Lets say I have an owner that expects "attacking\pretty" football from me as manager but I find with a defensive\counter type tactic I actually control the match better and still score a good number of goals...

Any idea if the board will become dissatisfied with my running of the team since I am playing a defensive style even though once in possession I am playing a nice looking short passing ball control game that results in a good number of goals scored?

In other words do you know if the board simply looks at whether my "normal" tactic is assigned as attacking, control, counter, or defensive and uses that as the guide to whether I'm complying with their playing style expectations? Or do they look at more than that such as wins, points, goals scored along with goal differential etc?

wwfan's reply..

I'd imagine it was shot count, as that's what the fans react to. I'm not sure though. Might want to bring it up in a separate thread so the SI bod that worked on it can answer.

Anyway so looking for a bit of clarification on what the Board uses to judge whether your style of play complies with their request.

Hi mate,

I jsut posted this in wwfan's barca tactics thread.

I am playing with Arsenal and the board wants attacking football.

My tactic is a counter/balanced @ home, and defensive/balanced @ tough away games.

I still attack heaps and board happiness bar is full for playing attacking football! :p

The strategy on the TC for my team are all 'Defensive'. While the team is defensively solid, I picked the the defensive strategy only because of how the team retain and control the the ball while in possession. The mentality of all the players are lower- not too gung ho about attacking and moving into the penalty box all the time, which gives the central midfielders time on the ball and pick their passes a lot better. While in possession, the team builds up their attack from a deeper position, and not only passing laterally right outside the box while the forwards stays deep in the box the way attacking or control strategy tends to be.

The 'attacking' or 'defensive' strategy seems to affect the positioning of the players while in possession and this is really the important point- team strategies affect POSITIONING of players on the pitch relative to other players with or without the ball. At least this is what I see in the ME in my save.

I'm playing as Arsenal with the board demanding attacking and possession football. So far they're happy with the results and no complains about me picking the defensive strategy on the TC. Maybe the board only look at your stats instead of how you're creating the tactics of your team...

If positioning is the core result of choosing team strategy, maybe they should give it a different name instead- 'Advance' or 'Deeper' instead of Attacking or Defensive...

Against similar or weaker teams I usually have 50 ~ 60 percent possession (Arsenal). Only games against Man Utd or City I may drop below 50 into the 40s. Three seasons in board is only 50% satisfied, I guess you would need to average close to 60% plus to have the board being happy?

I get this. I am currently 5 points clear at top of League 2 with Rotherham United. I win most games 1-0 or 2-1, with the occasional 3-0 thrown in. My board are very happy with me in all aspects but are upset that I am not playing attacking football. I rarely use 'Attacking' strategy. My job is safe but it is annoying that the board are picking up on that so much. Any tips? I dont want to play attacking football just to appease the board and lose though!

I get this. I am currently 5 points clear at top of League 2 with Rotherham United. I win most games 1-0 or 2-1, with the occasional 3-0 thrown in. My board are very happy with me in all aspects but are upset that I am not playing attacking football. I rarely use 'Attacking' strategy. My job is safe but it is annoying that the board are picking up on that so much. Any tips? I dont want to play attacking football just to appease the board and lose though!

Think the general consensus (in the last few days especially), is that the board calculates this as shots on target (maybe CCC's?) So as people further up this thread have posted, going on defensive to make sure the team keeps the ball and has a lot of shots has helped them.

I think this will only be an issue if you do not do well.

If I can finish top three and playing my way and if they do not like it then they can fire me and I'll take my skills elsewhere........

This is interesting.

I've just got to the end of the month and had the usual review. Now, I have played a counter attacking tactic for my first three games entirely.

The board are pleased with attacking football we have been playing.

However they are upset with the departure of Bostock.... who? oh... that two star rated youngster that has played 1 game in the last 4 seasons? that one......... oh right.... erm... okay.

Archived