Would Gerrard leave Liverpool?

I have taken a small swedish club, Nykoping BIS, to becom champions in Sweden five years in a row from lower divisions. We have played the likes of Manchester United in ECC. The game has lasted for 12 years now. All that time I have had one player who was among the players in the team when I became manager and thus have grown together with the club. New contracts with him have been signed a few times, but now in the year 2023, after eleven years in the club he refuses to sign a new contract.

I regard him as a player similar to Gerrard in Liverpool - one of those who is firmly connected to the club.

To me it is not realistic that the player would choose to leave now.

What parameters in the game makes this happen? Is there anything I can do?

I play Football Manager Classic.

Has he given any reasons? Is it that you can't afford his wages, or is it that he wants a new challenge, or is he retiring?

This is far from a reliable option, but sometimes a player will reject a new contract for ages, and then accept it in the month or so before it expires. I say unreliable as other teams may poach him in that time. I've never player FMC so can't give detailed help

Steven Gerrard very nearly joined Chelsea in 2005 I think it was, although he didn’t go the most loyal of players can seek pastures new.

I think despite winning the highest division in Sweden, there will always be bigger clubs in bigger divisions that could want the player, if not then he still might think that regardless.

The difference between Gerrard & your player is that Gerrard plays for one of the biggest clubs in arguably the top league in the world.

His loyalty means he would probably never join Man Utd/Man City/Chelsea/Arsenal etc unless Liverpool consistently failed to qualify for Europe which leaves him with what options?

Barcelona or Real Madrid would provide a new challenge in Spain whereas there might be some interest from top clubs in Germany, France or Italy but their leagues are seen as below the Premiership currently.

Basically though his options are limited compared to your player, despite playing for a top club in Sweden there are many bigger leagues & clubs to tempt him away which will eventually override his loyalty as you've found.

I think it's realistic.

Consider the example of Henrik Larsson at Celtic - He gave Celtic the option of selling him but wasn't up for another season,

Celtic chose to let him go for a free rather than try to sell him sooner - Man Utd offered a decent fee for him with 6 months

on his contract.

its your shout whether you try to get a fee for him, or keep him as long as you can.

I can imagine Gerrard giving Liverpool exactly the same choice tbh, and I imagine they will make the same choice as Celtic did.

Speaking of Larsson and Man U, check out todays transfer rumours:

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-utd/transfer-talk/news/man-united-track-larssons-son_56266.html

First name on my shortlist for next year...

I think you are missing a few details:

1. My player have only been in one club as opposed to Henrik Larsson

2. He does not even play in Swedens national team, he is not that good, and not known very well internationally

3. He plays as centerback, hardly the most sought of player considering point 2 above.

I think it would be rarer to find a player that would want to stay with your club, rather than look elsewhere for a bigger club, more lucrative contract and a better standard.

In terms of loyalty, it means little in modern day football. Wayne Rooney supported Everton as a boy and to this day still does, but still left for Man Utd.

I have taken a small swedish club, Nykoping BIS, to becom champions in Sweden five years in a row from lower divisions. We have played the likes of Manchester United in ECC. The game has lasted for 12 years now. All that time I have had one player who was among the players in the team when I became manager and thus have grown together with the club. New contracts with him have been signed a few times, but now in the year 2023, after eleven years in the club he refuses to sign a new contract.

I regard him as a player similar to Gerrard in Liverpool - one of those who is firmly connected to the club.

To me it is not realistic that the player would choose to leave now.

What parameters in the game makes this happen? Is there anything I can do?

I play Football Manager Classic.

Make him a offer he can't refuse :)

He did hand in a transfer request a few years back to join Chelsea. United fans like to remind Liverpool of this with a song

"Steve Gerrard, Gerrard,

he kisses the badge on his chest,

then hands in a transfer request,

Steve Gerrard, Gerrard."

Archived