Sports Interactive Community
wwfan

How to Play FM13: A Twelve Step Guide

What is confusing me about my own tactical issues is why my defence has the ball the most in my team.

Could be due to a number of factors.

If you have them set to RWB often or they have the PPM 'Runs with ball often' then the player's first choice will be to dribble past his man. If that's combined with an attacking mentality and a high tempo then it will probably happen pretty often. Try RWB mixed, or even rarely if the player has any PPMs that encourage him to past his man, so that the player's first choice isn't to go head first into his opponent.

Having your players set to cross ball often, from the byline and wide play set to hug touchline will also affect this.

Thanks for this reply. I've thought it's maybe a RWB problem and limiting it should help but I'm clueless how to set direction of player's runs. I want them to dribble but not that late and generally more central. Even with low tempo and low width they'are doing the same - dribble to byline and cut inside/cross/pass (I've tried deep crosses for all but it doesn't work).

What is confusing me about my own tactical issues is why my defence has the ball the most in my team.

Maybe nobody press your defenders and they play short back-passes...

I still love that after all these years, I can still learn new stuff. Hadn't thought about my creators being too high in an aggressive tactic until I watched a match in detail. I still enjoy that the first time I played Ov after we introduced shouts into the TC, he beat me by applying a system that, while logical, I hadn't even contemplated.

Handed him his ass every time after that, mind!

Yep, sadly that proved to be a high point in my FML career!

If I save a tactic after shouts will it keep those settings if I loaded up that formation? So whatever I'm doing/using at the time will be saved?

Yep, sadly that proved to be a high point in my FML career!

Ov,

When do we get FML back - you guys have had almost two years since descision to shutdown FML, to re-invent it... :-)

The thing that cannot be done like real life Barcelona using the TC is the abusive control they tend to have with Guardiola.

Real life stats of Barcelona:

Average possesion

2008/2009: 66%

2009/2010: 67%

2010/2011: 72% (59% being the lowest of the season, 85% the highest)

The lowest of the three seasons was 51%. (AKA no team was able to have more possession than them in 3 years).

Also, playing home, they didn't allowed any positional attacking phase in those 3 years. All shots conceded where during transitions. Even top teams were unable to establish positional attacking phases against them.

That can be more or less achieved in FM trough radical tweaking, but not trough a straight use of the TC.

Very good stats that really sums up how much Barca strive to keep possesion. I dont know if you have stats for home and away. Im quite sure that home games would surpass 75% in many cases.

Even with settings Shorter passning and retain possesion, I am often in situations where I have 40-42% in away games. Im still looking for possibilities to emulate their style in away games particular. But the quest continues. I would say though, that I am able to make my defense very very solid, but the attack is lacking much.

Well bravo to you that you have the time to go through other people's posting history to try and discredit said person when he is trying to help others, or did you keep this quote for seven years waiting to pounce?

The fact that WWFAN has been in the same spot as a lot of others means he is ideal for doing exactly what he is best at, it means he can say things in ways that newbies and others like me can understand without some long winded guide that does more to confuse than help.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean??? My quote was from his original post! Besides, he gave me a well put answer himself. I found wwfan and cleons posts great reads. No where in my post was I attacking anyone but SI.

Spent a fair bit of the afternoon sorting out a tactic for my Forest side in my career mode, as I'm oversubscribed with excellent central midfielders, I can play a bit flatter across the middle. Using Brendan Rodgers Swansea side as a bit of my inspiration (mainly the solidity defensively, then a 3 pronged attacking line going forward), I came up with this..

qxvwJ.jpg

I aim to use Defensive Wingers in games against more attacking/mobile opposition, then push on. By having a flat 5 in midfield, and pressing more, when the opposition come forward, the intention is to stifle them and make a rash pass forward so that my defence can 'clean up' (so to speak). I've not gone entirely defensive minded, and by having an attacking minded central midfielder, we can come forward on the counter attack, playing simple football and not making daft passes (I find players with good decisions and composure are best in the centre of this midfield), and the wingers get involved on the counter attack, finding space in the channels and drawing the opposing full backs wide, allowing for the 3 man midfield to come forward and create pressure on the edge of the box (a 'Retain Possession' shout also helps, as the team plays a lot more probing passes, and looks to draw players out of position).

These are the goals I scored, I found the second one more impressive, as I recycled possession a couple of times, and Cox did well to put the through ball in. [video=youtube;xO3nRCUo6FY]

The goal I conceded in this was down to my RCB falling over the ball 6 yards out, and the striker putting it away. I think I was also helped by Lee Camp pulling off a fair few saves from the long range shots that were had by Southampton in this case.

F5xJk.jpg

Still a little bit of stuff to sort passing wise, but a good start.

Very good stats that really sums up how much Barca strive to keep possesion. I dont know if you have stats for home and away. Im quite sure that home games would surpass 75% in many cases.

Even with settings Shorter passning and retain possesion, I am often in situations where I have 40-42% in away games. Im still looking for possibilities to emulate their style in away games particular. But the quest continues. I would say though, that I am able to make my defense very very solid, but the attack is lacking much.

In FM12 I was able to have an average 60-65% in away games, but never with a tactic made using the TC. It always needed settings that I don't think any of the TC instructions/roles+shouts can achieve.

[/font]

Def:

vxf4b4.png

Mid:

20sinm.png

Att:

16gx545.png

Based on my team comparison can you make a suggestion on how i should look to play (use shouts) off the above ratings?

I'd look to be direct, high pressing, attacking and aggressive, using at least one TM.

wwfan I've meant to ask this question for a while but it never seemed fitting, so why not here:

I know the Advanced Forward/Attack was overpowered in FM12 and has been toned down to a more realistic level, thanks to the new collision model. That has been much to my annoyance because my FM12 tactics were often based on a lone AF/A, and as a result I've been awfully lost in FM13 as 3 seasons, 3 tactical systems and several lengthy posts for help in this forum has led me nowhere trying to extract the most of my players.

However I am rather puzzled as to why the AF/A, or a P/A, or a TM/A should inherently be an illogical player to have upfront on his own, as you have continuously advised people playing a lone striker to have him on support role, as CF/S, DLF/S or TQ. I do know in modern football often teams that play 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 want the forward to do contribute than just goals, and link play with the rest of the team. Yet from my observation an awful lot of real life teams that play these systems still play strikers that would translate in FM into an attack role - the false nine was a trend that didn't really catch on 100%. From what I see most teams try to have a complete forward but his main role will still be hung around looking for goals. Like Porto with Falcao, he had the pace the technique the aerial ability, linked a bit but didn't drop off. Surely that's a CF/A? Same could perhaps be said of Benzema in Real Madrid, to a lesser extent as he's more of a roamer but still hardly someone who drops deep to play through balls. Lesser teams do not have strikers that tick all these boxes so I see here in Portugal, a country where 4-3-3 with wide wingers is the default tactic at every level, players like João Tomás for Rio Ave, a classic veteran TM/A spearheading the attack on his own with diminishing pace and all aerial power to meet crosses from the pacey wingers.

Really just look at Zonalmarking, the most recent tactical systems and you'll find plenty of top teams playing lone strikers that do not drop deep, indeed false nine kinds are rare at the moment. Most teams seem to be striving to have a complete forward there which is rather logical. If you only have 1 striker you want him to be dangerous at all kinds of play, aerial, through balls towards him or linking to feed the rest of the team. However surely the most natural role to have up there is CF/A not CF/S? And when teams to do not have that gifted striker, some use different kinds of lone strikers on attack role?

Am I misunderstanding what a CF/A and a CF/S should be?

There's never a bad time to play a Complete Forward should you be lucky enough to have one. Unfortunately, the vast majority of us have to make do with what we have. If it is a static TM or a selfish Poacher, the lone forward formation is not really viable.

wwfan,

There is one thing that I completely don't understand in FM2013 - why my players constantly run towards opponent's byline, why inside forwards don't want to cut inside earlier, why fullbacks don't want to cross earlier, why even my support duty striker reachs byline and shots or pass from there? Is there any remedy?

Will require an ME fix. Nothing much you can do I'm afraid.

I somewhat agree with the guide, I go through similar steps when setting up a team, however I'm not sure why I'm "not supposed to" tuch the sliders.

I know that shouts "move the sliders" and usually I regulate them myself to "have the shouts" I want in my default setup.

So here is a question for the more qualified players: is there any difference between moving the sliders and having a set of shouts turned on at the beginning of the match? I allways assumed that adjusting the sliders is better because my team can get more familliar with the style of play throug match preparation.

Hard-setting sliders can give a slight help with avoiding the match prep penalisation, but you suffer in terms of losing dynamic, in-match decision making. The hit from a lack of match prep compared to the advantages dynamic shouts can give is so minimal that I'd not waste any time worrying about it.

1. Do we always play an attacking role in both midfield af defence regardles of strategy?

2. If you have a single striker which player are the other parts of the attack?

I realise these questions might be obvious but I hope somebody will elaborate

Thanks

1: I would, yes, unless you are trying to see a match out. Then you can change the roles.

2: Whoever you are asking to get forward

One thing that puzzles me is the use of "shouts". My understanding has always been that you use the TC (complemented by the sliders perhaps) to define how you want to start the match. Then, when changes are needed during the match you use shouts to try and achieve what you want to change based on what you read from the match.

However, some of the discussions in these forums on how to achieve a certain playing style (for instance tiki-taka like football) seems to indicate that you need to apply certain combinations of "shouts" at the very beginning of each match. Am I interpreting this the wrong way? If not, wouldn't it make sense to have these shout combinations made available through the TC so the "shouts" can remain in-match responses to what is going on in a specific match?

The shouts and adjustments can impose playing styles. I'd agree that it would be logical to have your team "train" a certain set of shout combinations as pre-match strategies and to make it more obvious that shouts can be used this way.

BTW, this is a great post wwfan! I have some suggestions and/or remarks if you will allow. For my Chelsea team mentioned above I play a narrow 4-2-3-1. Often launching attacks from deep, I use both my wing backs on a 'support' duty so to give them the opportunity to cross early and also deliver through balls in front of my lone striker (I am very much satisfied to be able to say that Torres is now again scoring every other game). They support my attacks alot and crosses from byline also at times. I see lots of assists from both deep and around area from them. I suppose that your advice on attacking instructions for defenders are really meant to say 'lots of forward runs', correct? Am I breaking some kind of rule here? :) Moreover: what is your take on ticking the 'counter attack' box even in standard strategies? I tend not to do so as I am quite satisfied with retaining possesion and passing the ball into space but I sometimes play with the thought of whether it would be effective or not. Thank you so much for explaining the ways of the game as I too struggled some to get results out of this one. Now, however my football is very pleasing to watch -- when I'm not to stubborn to alter my tactics despite bad conditions!

My steps are just a rule of thumb. You can still set up a style like yours and do well if you have conceptualised the system thoroughly. My steps are designed to get people into a place where they can start to do that, not impose hard fast rules.

I actually turn counter attack on in my standard strategy. However, I'm trying to play a certain way, which that suits. If I were trying to retain possession first and foremost, then you'd keep it unticked.

I have a 'Barca like' team and set up like this, pretty much entirely using the TC, except I fiddles with a few player isntructions here and there if they didn't quite suit that player.

GK - Defend

DL - Wing Back/Attack.

DC - CD/Defend

DC - BDP/Defend

DR - Full Back/Support

DMC - Defensive Mid/Defend.

MCL - DLP/Support

MCR - APM/Attack

AML - IF/Support

AMR - IF/Attack.

FC- Treq/Attack.

Strategy - Counter.

Balanced

Press more

Shorter passing.

More roaming

More freedom

Shouts - Retain Possession, Push higher up, work ball into box, hassle opponents, stay on feet, pass into space.

Seems to work ok for me and my team isn't quite Barcelona standard yet as a lot of them aren't even 20 yet and my 'Messi' isn't quite Messi standard yet.

A few silly questions though:-

1: Can you automatically apply shouts at the start of the game so they are 'always on'.

2: Where is that team comparison page.

3: If I add the 'run at opponents' shout to to the list will that contradict some of the others and will it result in defenders doing it?

1: You can't train shouts. However, you can save a shout combination in the tactical module and load it in the team talk page

2: It's part of the team report tab

3: It only adds RWB instructions to players in the top two strata + the most advanced wide players

This has made me re-think slightly how I have built my team. However I am curious on how many shots and good chances i should expect in a game in which my teams dominates considering that with this ME the amount of shots don't quite match up with real life.

I'd look to be direct, high pressing, attacking and aggressive, using at least one TM.

:eek: did exactly this using the 4222 box ive been working on... first game vs top of league:

oh47p.png

2m7hhlv.png

Their 3 goals came from beating offside trap

1: You can't train shouts. However, you can save a shout combination in the tactical module and load it in the team talk page

2: It's part of the team report tab

3: It only adds RWB instructions to players in the top two strata + the most advanced wide players

Train? I think you misunderstood, I have a pre-set saved shout with about 6 instructions in it, however I wanted to know if there is a setting somewhere that means that this 'shout' is active as soon as the game starts rather than me manually going to shouts -> cutom shouts and applying it.

Thanks for the rest though.

Train? I think you misunderstood, I have a pre-set saved shout with about 6 instructions in it, however I wanted to know if there is a setting somewhere that means that this 'shout' is active as soon as the game starts rather than me manually going to shouts -> cutom shouts and applying it.

Thanks for the rest though.

Do it on the team talk screen before the match starts?

Hey wwfan,

If you have a chance, would you mind writing a small explanation of which are the more important attributes to look at on the Team comparison tab and how those should translate into your playing style and philosophy.

Regards

Shiraz

Here's an analysis breakdown of an away match in which my team, Chester, took on one of the strongest teams in the division, Middlesboro. Chester screens on the left, Middlesboro on the right.

Screenshot2012-11-29at103209AM.pngScreenshot2012-11-29at103227AM.png

As you can see, I focused on clearing my lines quickly and trying to gain control of the ball in midfield. I played two reasonably aggressive central midfielders, who, while they weren't technically as good as the Middlesboro midfielders, could give as good as they got physically. I also play more directly down the right than I do the left, which the screenshot perfectly illustrates. I'm extremely happy with the range of passes I'm getting into the area. I have some from both corners of the box, plus a few from central positions. Given I'm sitting back and soaking up pressure, I'm very happy with what I'm seeing.

My high line, narrow width and aggressive pressing, coupled with my decision to start two uncompromising MCs, compresses Middlesboro's passing into the deep centre of the pitch. It is difficult to see from this screen, but neither of their two most creative midfielders ever get to make a dangerous pass. With their possession all cramped into the deep centre and being unable to break into my half, they barely hit a dangerous pass into my area and are restricted into hitting long balls forward for their wingers and striker to chase.

Screenshot2012-11-29at103311AM.pngScreenshot2012-11-29at103252AM.png

As I was sitting back, I wasn't expecting to make many high interceptions. I'm very happy with making the vast majority of them just inside my own half. I'm even more happy that I've only had to make ten inside my own box. Although I didn't score from either of the high intercepts, they were both excellent plays that Middlesboro were lucky to keep out.

In contrast, Middlesboro are having to make their interceptions far deeper, including 15 in the area and many more just outside. The only interceptions they make in my half get immediately snuffed out by my aggressive midfield, meaning I am never in danger of being hurt by quick counters

Screenshot2012-11-29at103328AM.pngScreenshot2012-11-29at103345AM.png

This is where evidence of the plasticity of strategies is most obvious. I played a defensive strategy from beginning to end, whereas Middlesboro were direct and attacking. Yet, as the heat maps show, Middlesboro were under far more pressure during the game. My different flanks strategies are clear. 10, 8, 15 and 14 are far closer together than their opposing numbers on the right, 23, 17, 7, 12. You can clearly see that Middlesboro were trying to put me under more pressure late in the game by looking at my subs positions. 25 is deeper than 7, 3 deeper than 14, and 9 deeper than 23.

In the Middlesboro heatmap, you can see how compressed their midfield triangle was, trapped in their own half and unable to make an attacking contribution. Even their starting striker, 17, is barely getting out of his own half. They pushed forward more at the end, but it was too little too late.

Game ended 2-0 to me. Both goals were very similar, but from opposite sides of the pitch. In both instances, an FC got involved with a passing move on his side of the pitch, freeing up central space for his strike partner to move into. The ball was played into this striker as he moved into the open space. For one goal, he beat his man with a skilful dribble, for the other he did him for pace.

Here's a very different type of game, in which I was trying to impose myself on weaker opposition at home. Chester screens on the left (me), Bournemouth screens on the right (AI).

Screenshot2012-11-29at112254AM.pngScreenshot2012-11-29at112242AM.png

The different in strategy between this and the Middlesboro game is obvious. I'm no longer clearing my lines at every opportunity, but playing the ball around deep before feeding it up the flanks to my wingers. I have far more passes in the final third, and way more attempts to pass into the box. I'm playing exactly the same passing strategy on both flanks, so the clear difference portrayed in the Middlesboro match is no longer to be seen.

Bournemouth are obviously second best. Their passes are compressed deep in their half, and they are making far less successful ones. They barely try a pass into my area, and most of those are from deep.

Screenshot2012-11-29at112316AM.pngScreenshot2012-11-29at112329AM.png

Four in my own area is fantastic, and I'm very pleased with how much I've pinned them deep. Bournemouth did almost score from the intercept by the number 10 on the far left, where he beat my winger to the ball and got clear of the defence, before crossing to his striker. My 18 your old reserve keeper made one of the best close range saves I've ever seen on any FM ME to keep the shot out. I doubt it would have made a significant difference to the final outcome had he scored.

Screenshot2012-11-29at115515AM.png

This is the best evidence as to why the tactic displayed in the above screenshot isn't very good (a user posted in another forum saying he should have won this match). I am totally dominant. I end up winning 4-0 and Bournemouth were lucky it was that close. Yet, even in such a dominant performance, I've hardly made an intercept past the halfway line. He, however, gives them up all the time.

Screenshot2012-11-29at112214AM.pngScreenshot2012-11-29at112225AM.png

The heatmaps again show my almost total dominance. I'm using a 4-2-4, which is clearly displayed in the map. Bournemouth are using a 4-4-2, which isn't, as they are getting pulled so much out of position trying to cover my attacks.

You can see how much I took the foot off the throttle by the sub positions. Match was won at 75 minutes, so I slowed it all down and sat deeper, as clearly illustrated by the 11 v 14 and 9 v 23 positioning.

Hi wwfan

Excellent post on the matches with Chester. It really help me alot :)

A couple of question:

1. Your keeper in the Middlesboro match seems to make many poor passes. Would it be an idea to distribute shorter and then pass out of defence?

2. You mention sitting deeper. Is that a strategy thing as I notice you also push d-line higher?

3. How do you pass more directly on one side? I would think it is a question of roles?

Thanks

3. How do you pass more directly on one side? I would think it is a question of roles?

Should be the usage of focus passing in your TC.

Since reading this thread and following the advice of having my back four set up like this (Left-Attack, CB-stopper, CB-stopper, Right-Support), I have had much more success - in a 4-1-2-1-2.

Using my team comparison (Gateshead, 4th place in BSP, media prediction bottom half of the 24 teams) - the overview is this:

decisions - 1st

first touch - 1st

passing - 1st

strength - 22nd

work rate - 1st

teamwork - 4th

leadership - 6th

aggression - 5th

This seems like I'm doing great using my slow tempo, short passing game. Looking at the DEF, MID, ATT comparisons individually though I'm usually only in the 7th-12th range on most measures (except for MID-passing and MID-creativity where we are 1st). In defense we are 16th or lower for tackling, marking, positioning, pace and acceleration.

Given that info - Could my low Defense ratings compared to other teams be related to changing my back four from all having a "DEFENSE" setting to having my fullbacks being Attack/Support ? Or is it simply that I need to get better defenders in ?

I tried almost everything around the forums, and sadly, nothing works...I win everything in the pre-season, but when the official games start, it's a disaster...I usually score 1 goal, then concede 2-3 right away...no matter what tactics I use.I downloaded tactics, made my own, followed the instructions in here...but nothing.The only career that was succesful was at Shakthar with a tactic made by me, but when I left, nothing worked, I managed St.Pauli,Schalke and AS Monaco, and I'm near the last places everytime.I also started a new career with Betis, but I lost 0-5 with Athletic 0-3 with Rayo, and so on...no victory.I use one attack and one defend role in each compartiment(4-4-1-1), short passing, aggressive taclking, zonal marking, float crosses, press more, more disciplined, stick to position.

It seems that the ME doesn't even put my tactic into the game, because my players still play longs balls, and the defenders act like they are blind, the ball just passes them everytime, and sometimes they don't even attack the opponent or they leave their position to attack an opponent that is aleready being taken care of.

Hi wwfan

Excellent post on the matches with Chester. It really help me alot :)

A couple of question:

1. Your keeper in the Middlesboro match seems to make many poor passes. Would it be an idea to distribute shorter and then pass out of defence?

2. You mention sitting deeper. Is that a strategy thing as I notice you also push d-line higher?

Thanks

1: I don't care if they were bad, because I was dominant in that area of the pitch. Even when Middlesboro got the ball, I'd win it back quickly and be in a good position.

2: Sitting deeper just relates to the defensive strategy. It sits deeper by default. However, in relative terms, I always use a high line by employing the press more adjustment and push higher up shout.

3: Yup, roles. Left side is WB/A, BWM/D, W/S, DLF/S, which keeps everybody close together. Right side is FB/S, AP/S, W/A, Poacher, which doesn't.

Given that info - Could my low Defense ratings compared to other teams be related to changing my back four from all having a "DEFENSE" setting to having my fullbacks being Attack/Support ? Or is it simply that I need to get better defenders in ?

Better defenders. Your retain possession strategy is logical given your defence is so weak. If you have the ball, they can't attack.

I tried almost everything around the forums, and sadly, nothing works...I win everything in the pre-season, but when the official games start, it's a disaster...I usually score 1 goal, then concede 2-3 right away...no matter what tactics I use.I downloaded tactics, made my own, followed the instructions in here...but nothing.The only career that was succesful was at Shakthar with a tactic made by me, but when I left, nothing worked, I managed St.Pauli,Schalke and AS Monaco, and I'm near the last places everytime.I also started a new career with Betis, but I lost 0-5 with Athletic 0-3 with Rayo, and so on...no victory.I use one attack and one defend role in each compartiment(4-4-1-1), short passing, aggressive taclking, zonal marking, float crosses, press more, more disciplined, stick to position.

It seems that the ME doesn't even put my tactic into the game, because my players still play longs balls, and the defenders act like they are blind, the ball just passes them everytime, and sometimes they don't even attack the opponent or they leave their position to attack an opponent that is aleready being taken care of.

I'm sorry to hear that. What is the logic behind all your adjustments?

I'm sorry to hear that. What is the logic behind all your adjustments?

Well...I'm trying to play a short passing game, without long balls and long shots...basically working the ball into the box.The aggressive tackling and pressing are adjusted recently because I was on the last place at aggresivity and tacklings...Also the stick to position, because I don't want players running on the field how they want(wich they do, leaving a lot of space).

Well...I'm trying to play a short passing game, without long balls and long shots...basically working the ball into the box.The aggressive tackling and pressing are adjusted recently because I was on the last place at aggresivity and tacklings...Also the stick to position, because I don't want players running on the field how they want(wich they do, leaving a lot of space).

So, why are you forcing players to do something they aren't very good at? Perhaps applying the opposite strategy?

Be aware of short passing in attacking systems. It can bog them down, especially without roaming.

wwfan let me say your post change my FM life :thup: and they way I play and enjoy this version. I have to admit this first month was really really complicate coming in my opinion from a tactic management more easy of FM12 compare to this one. This year i was capture by Aston Villa, don't ask my way ... as italian I'm an AC Milan supporter but never compete in italy. Anyway. Team apart i was really frustrated. From CM 1945 season (joking ... amazing how long this game fill my free time) i have to admit make a winning tactics was pretty easy. 3-5-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-1-3-2 etc ... you put your men on the pitch, trick with slider ... and with a good squad you can start a winning career. This year ... i found it really complicate. I was starting to think that like everybody folks over here wasn't my fault but the new ME. I try and try to create tactics always starting from TC and immediately move the slider up and down as always in my previous FM version. This time doesn't work ... oh s...t ... incredible that's ME it's a suitcase of BUGs....

But... but ... unfortunately :lol: (hope anyone catch the joke and sarcasm about that) i met your post in the tactics section and i started to read. And wow ... a new way to think, to approach FM. Always starting from TC but try to thinking likely to real football and damned i got it. I started to understand the new ME and looking a match i have to admit, apart few real bugs like my goalkeeper still does long pass even if i obligate him to short ..., this ME it's really really good and in my opinion really the best ever in the last 3-4 edition. Creating a tactic with sense of football and approach you can get and look at amazing match. No silly defender, or midfielder that look at people and that in both way. I manage Aston Villa so not a bad team but at the same time not the first 5 in england at the moment but working properly with TC OI and shouts you get good results and special you start to enjoy FM13.

For example after a good pre-season i started losing away with West Ham. Disappoint apart i work on Set Pieces and i get a good home win against Norwich. At this point i understand i could try move just one slider to start during the season to suite my tactic for great results. The only one mod i did till now at my fifth match is to set short passes to every body. Wow how amazing my team seam to be compact, short pass and move all together to get the win. I was so happy. Third match. CUP against Brentford and turn over. Sh.t got a lose 3-2 grrrr... but i understand my fault and come back immediatly to an amazing away win with Reading.

So at the end. I would like to tell everybody how wwfan it's right about his 12 guide. So start to think you are doing bad ... and specially you aren't approaching FM in the right way. You will notice how good is the new ME. Just to tune some little bugs.

Ops ... wwfan thank you a lot.

Marco

Ok couple of small issues for me - before I say what they are, here is my team and set-up:

GK - Szczesny - Sweeper Keeper - Support

DR - Corchia - Wing Back - Attack

DRC - Mertesacker - Central Defender - Defend

DLC - Vermaelen - Central Defender - Defend

DL - Gibbs - Wing Back - Attack

MRC - Arteta - Deep Lying Playmaker - Defend

MLC - Wilshere - Box to Box Midfielder - Support

AMR - Oxlade-Chamberlain - Inside Forward - Attack

AMC - Cazorla - Advanced Playmaker - Attack

AML - Podolski - Inside Forward - Attack

STC - Giroud - Deep Lying Forward - Support

Balanced Philosophy

Control Strategy (generally)

Shorter Passing

More Expressive

Press More

Cautious Tackling

Zonal Marking

Drill Crosses

More Roaming

Playmaker - AMC (Cazorla)

Target Man - not set

Now I find that my possession game is not good enough, and often notable it is the midfield third with the poorest pass completion ratio (not all occasions, but most). I find that we struggle to break through smaller sides, and that teams can get in behind a bit too easily (so not sure with the use of my OI's how to deal with a playmaker, midfield runner, quick player, slow player etc) and find my shouts are a bit hit and miss as well. I do not tick anything at all.

Now we have been reasonably successful in the past 2 seasons (2014 Premier League Winners, 2013 Runners up, 2013 Champions League Winners, 2014 FA Cup Runners Up, 2013 European Super Cup Winners, 2013 Club World Cup Winners, 2014 Community Shield Runners Up) - but I am trying to fine tune a possession game, and breaking through teams too. So after a few suggestions really. We are decent, but just prone to a stupid game here and there. As well as not achieving good enough passing rates and possession rates (about 78% and 56% respectively as approximate figures).

Thanks guys.

@llama 3 I have found that I struggle with possession too, but came to the conclusion that the key stat is the result, so if you are having the success you are, is improving the possession stat enough of a headache to risk changing an already successful approach?

My observations are that teams will get in behind the back of you because all of your wide players are attacking. Although Arteta would be inclined to drop back a bit, as he is in the MC rather than DMC strata his defend duty won't be as effective as if he was physically located a strata deeper.

Arguably your low pass completion could be a consequence of having the AMC strata all pushing up on Attack duty, with only Wilshere centrally moving between the lines but having limited available short forward passing option as Cazorla and company head up the pitch. The wing backs will move between the lines, but will primarily look to cross into the box, rather than look to get involved with intricate interplay in the middle.

Personally, I'd consider dropping Podolski and Corchia to Support to reduce the likelihood of teams getting round the back. Both would theoretically be more available as outlets for Wilshere and therefore pass completion and possession may increase as a result.

Now the issues I had thought of with these are:

• The Wing Backs did not get forward and overlap enough on support duties - hence being attack duties. This also makes them a more viable wide passing option for the central midfield
  • Arteta is a DLP so he drops deeper and plays a possession-game. I prefer him partnered close to the other players so he does not launch the ball.
  • Whole AMC strata is on attack duties - but I had got the overlapping wing backs, and MLC and STC pushing or dropping into the space so create movement. Plus the AMC being an Advanced Playmaker role still means his mentality is lower than the wide players next to him.
  • Podolski on a support role sounds like reducing his best weapon - his finishing. He is a great finisher, and is deadliest in the box scoring goals - but none of my wide players, suit support roles, they are better dribblers and finishers.

Hence my problem, because some of the simpler solutions risk undoing other aspects of the team.

As usual, it is all about the players you have available.

I use a 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-2-2-1, and tend to gravitate towards the 4-1-2-2-1 because it seems more solid.

Will post more later, off to get a train!

Not sure if it is of remote interest, but my 4-2-3-1 is set up as follows. We have a lot of similarities, but the principal differences are in duties assigned:

GK Keeper Defend (although I'm toying with a Sweeper Keeper just to see how things go)

DL Wing Back Attack

DR Full Back Support

DC Both Central Defender Defend

MCL Ball Winning Midfielder Defend

MCR Deep Lying Playmaker Support

AML Inside Forward Support

AMR Winger Attack

AMC Advanced Playmaker Support

STC Deep Lying Forward Support

So a lot of similarities, with (I think) the key differences being the wide duties, and those of the MC and AMC positions.

My DLP has a bit more creative freedom than Arteta in your system, and runs with the ball a bit more to support the AMC strata.

My BWM has a higher mentality than my DLP, but plays less creatively and deeper than Wilshere.

My AMC has less creative freedom than Cazorla and will RWB less, and this is possibly the role and duty I'm least convinced with in my system.

What I find with that trio is that they complement each other well, and seem to maintain a presence in the middle of the pitch which encourages decent interplay with the wide players and DLF.

Pass completion is 80% so far this season (albeit only 4th October in 2nd season), with my BWM leading the way at 90%.

I have an issue with my centrebacks seem to be my biggest passers of the ball bar my full backs which is an issue as it means I am not threatening as much as possible with the ball. I am playing 4-5-1.

Balanced, more expressive, press more, zonal marking and more roaming. Everything else is default.

GK: SK(D)

RB: RB (auto)

CB: Stopper

CB BPD (Cover)

LB: FB (attack)

Anchor Man

AP (s)

AP (A)

AP(s)

IF (a)

CF (A)

Thoughts?

LLama I would be tempted to increase your passing to default or reduce creative freedom

wwfan,

Following your advice I've had improved performances using basic tactics using the TC and shouts during the game to adapt to my opponents. I still have a problem when it comes to creating scoring chances and scoring goals. In my last 8 games, 7 ended in 1-1 ties. During most of those games, I've had possession of around 60% but only about 4-5 shots (only 2 or 3 on target). I play a 4-5-1 (or a 4-1-2-2-1) and my team is strong for the division. I use mostly the Play Out of Defense, Work Ball Into Box, and Play Narrower or Wider depending on the opposition. One of my winger is set to IF Att while the other is W Support. My lone striker is a Complete Forward on Support. My two midfielders are CM Att and DLP Support.

I watch a lot of my games on full to see how to improve but I guess I'm missing something. My players pass well for the most part (usually 80%) but sometimes they try long through balls to nowhere. There never seem to be anyone close to any of the crosses from the wing. I'm thinking maybe I need to switch to a 4-2-3-1 but at the moment I have no AMC so I have to continue with my current strategy.

My questions are

1) How much of the match do you watch to make sure your shouts and current strategy are good enough against the current opponent?

2) During the game, what are you on the lookout for when looking at attacking movement?

3) How do you counter being tightly marked (no space to move or pass) using shouts?

Thanks for your help :-)

I have an issue with my centrebacks seem to be my biggest passers of the ball bar my full backs which is an issue as it means I am not threatening as much as possible with the ball. I am playing 4-5-1.

Balanced, more expressive, press more, zonal marking and more roaming. Everything else is default.

GK: SK(D)

RB: RB (auto)

CB: Stopper

CB BPD (Cover)

LB: FB (attack)

Anchor Man

AP (s)

AP (A)

AP(s)

IF (a)

CF (A)

Thoughts?

LLama I would be tempted to increase your passing to default or reduce creative freedom

You'e a huge number of specialist roles. If you want to keep them, I'd recommend a rigid or very rigid philosophy. If you want to keep things more expressive in general, then I'd reduce the specialist roles to a minimum.

wwfan,

Following your advice I've had improved performances using basic tactics using the TC and shouts during the game to adapt to my opponents. I still have a problem when it comes to creating scoring chances and scoring goals. In my last 8 games, 7 ended in 1-1 ties. During most of those games, I've had possession of around 60% but only about 4-5 shots (only 2 or 3 on target). I play a 4-5-1 (or a 4-1-2-2-1) and my team is strong for the division. I use mostly the Play Out of Defense, Work Ball Into Box, and Play Narrower or Wider depending on the opposition. One of my winger is set to IF Att while the other is W Support. My lone striker is a Complete Forward on Support. My two midfielders are CM Att and DLP Support.

I watch a lot of my games on full to see how to improve but I guess I'm missing something. My players pass well for the most part (usually 80%) but sometimes they try long through balls to nowhere. There never seem to be anyone close to any of the crosses from the wing. I'm thinking maybe I need to switch to a 4-2-3-1 but at the moment I have no AMC so I have to continue with my current strategy.

My questions are

1) How much of the match do you watch to make sure your shouts and current strategy are good enough against the current opponent?

2) During the game, what are you on the lookout for when looking at attacking movement?

3) How do you counter being tightly marked (no space to move or pass) using shouts?

Thanks for your help :-)

1: I watch comprehensive highlights, although I've been known to switch to extended at times.

2: I always want to see wingers moving ahead of my DLF. If that is happening regularly, then I know I'll be creating chances

3: Retain possession to keep the ball, then pass into space to release a breaking player.

You'e a huge number of specialist roles. If you want to keep them, I'd recommend a rigid or very rigid philosophy. If you want to keep things more expressive in general, then I'd reduce the specialist roles to a minimum.

Okay. Couple of questions what is the logic behind that? Secondly am I right in thinking that non specialist is normal keeper, full backs, centre backs, defensive midfielder, centre midfielders wingers and DLF? In terms of that formation. I have altered it slightly in that I have made it a DLF.

Okay. Couple of questions what is the logic behind that? Secondly am I right in thinking that non specialist is normal keeper, full backs, centre backs, defensive midfielder, centre midfielders wingers and DLF? In terms of that formation. I have altered it slightly in that I have made it a DLF.

Yup. I'd include wingers and AFs in that as well.

Logic relates to non-specialists requiring more CF to create, whereas specialists should be able to do it in a rigid framework.