Sports Interactive Community
PaulC

Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

My last 10 games have yielded 64 goals. Split about 50/50.

Shot to goal ratio is extremely high, above 50%. Either long shots or defence splitting thru balls.

From the first post:

"- You will probably see less shots in this update, and if anything its a bit low vs RL but we decided this was ok in the context of how this ME version plays"

It's a work in progress...

It's all far too frantic now. I'll give it another go tomorrow but if I find it the same it will be put away until the next update. Not impressed.

Maybe a slight reduced number would be more realistic but I don't see how both teams having 5 shots each is realistic. With this number of shots I can't even tell what's going on on the pitch and adjust. Pre patch I could actually watch my team and notice if my opponents are better, but now I get 1-2 highlights per half

I can only speak for my own game of course but im not experiencing shot counts that low.

From the first post:

"- You will probably see less shots in this update, and if anything its a bit low vs RL but we decided this was ok in the context of how this ME version plays"

It's a work in progress...

Less shots I can handle, no shots I can't.

If you're getting no shots, you must have some horrible tactics.

Less shots I can handle, no shots I can't.

If you're getting no shots, it definitely is something wrong with your tactic since others are getting them. Polarization is bad, okay?

I think it's fair to say that after the last patch we have a different game, not better, just different; it simply works in a different manner, changes seem to be too random.

I really can't understand the logic behind this huge ME restyle just one month after the game was released, some weeks ago I said the ME was promising, now I'm disappointed.

Center backs just let people with through balls walk right through them...They won't react until way after the person is through, and then they'll jog behind them. It's impossible to defend correctly in matches, making the game practically unplayable.

Also, passing hesitation is horrendous. Players will just dribble their ball with their back to the opponent and get tackled without passing to anyone, giving them a breakaway chance for nothing.

I seem to be getting the bizarre results people were talking about pre-patch...that I didn't get then!

In my Coventry save, I've beaten Birmingham 3-0 in the cup, and drew 0-0 away to West Ham in the next round, yet I've been gubbed 4-1 by both Scunthorpe and Bournemouth in the league. These kind of results simply weren't happening before this update. Again, it could be coincidence but the evidence is slightly worrying. Even more so, when this sort of swing in results against better/worse teams was one of the main bugbears of people before the update. Weird.

To add to this, and it's getting crazy now, lost 3-1 to bottom club Shrewsbury, even though they only managed two shots on target. Other one was an OG. Seems the opposition are scoring with every chance they get. I had 15 shots on goal during the game. I was sitting 3rd in the league, just in behind Sheff Utd and Tranmere before the update, now I'm out of the playoff places. That can't be right. Bah.

Wow what happened :( My attackers cant shoot anymore their shots are worse then my grandmas in the box and my wingers dont chip in the ball anymore in the box. They have been starting running like usain bolt in to the box instead trying to do goals?!?!?! I am confused what happened? I havent won in 5 games after the update and my save are ruined. And as peeps said its seems like every player are marathon sprinters running around as crazy and when i watch highlights theare soooo few goal chances that i wonder if the players are having a coffe break when nothing happens. And it does not matter what team i play against they all press my players everywhere haha :)) I will put away the game for a couple of weeks and play FM12 instead and hope you start taking things serious.

Since the update it's certainly noticeable that my fortune has changed dramatically.

Previously I was finding my team to be inconsistent, struggling at home to weaker teams but having it easy away to better teams and struggling to score a lot of the times. It almost felt rewarding when your team scored however now it seems a touch too easy. Since the update i'm swatting away all and sundry with ease. My striker has 12 goals in 5 games and scored 22 in 4 games (one away and 3 at home). Maybe i've just hit a streak of good luck, however it does look like a pacey advanced forward will score you the majority of your goals (again, maybe just a purple patch for my guy)

To add to this, and it's getting crazy now, lost 3-1 to bottom club Shrewsbury, even though they only managed two shots on target. Other one was an OG. Seems the opposition are scoring with every chance they get. I had 15 shots on goal during the game. I was sitting 3rd in the league, just in behind Sheff Utd and Tranmere before the update, now I'm out of the playoff places. That can't be right. Bah.

Man how the world changes.

Just yesterday you were accusing people for not being truthful about their shots at goal compared to the opposition and losing games,you had said that no-one was posting screenshots of it.

I quote "I'm seeing a lot of these type of 'hundreds of shots on goal but not winning' posts recently. What's the common denominator? No screenshots. "

Strange world sometimes :)

I'm with Kriss. Haven't made one change to my tactical approach and results are almost exactly the same.

As I/we keep on saying, if your tactical approach is sound, then ME changes have almost no effect.

It's.............................

A thing of beauty !

Much better variation in play, good work SI.

People need to remember that tactics that worked in a heavily flawed ME not working now is not indicative of a broken ME.

A thing of beauty !

People need to remember that tactics that worked in a heavily flawed ME not working now is not indicative of a broken ME.

But something is broken when your defenders let opponents run right through them with the ball, and then start following behind them once they break through. That's an issue that has nothing to do with anything in your control. Your centerbacks just won't defend. How can you play like that?

I don't know if it's just me but is anyone else having problems with passing. My pass completion rate is about 77% with United.

A thing of beauty !

Have to agree, people are trying to beat something using all the tricks of previous FM's when using simple, sound football common sensewill do the trick perfectly.

I don't know if it's just me but is anyone else having problems with passing. My pass completion rate is about 77% with United.

I've managed to get my passing to reasonably realistic levels by setting passing to short. But yeah, players seem to ignore obstacles when contemplating direct shots, often gunning it straight into the person defending them, giving them a breakaway opportunity.

Throw ins also are commonly thrown STRAIGHT to an opponent.

I'm with Kriss. Haven't made one change to my tactical approach and results are almost exactly the same.

As I/we keep on saying, if your tactical approach is sound, then ME changes have almost no effect.

Same with my tactic,although I have only played a handful of games as I have been busy tonight.

There does seem to be more injuries but I will have to put that down to my tactic as the players appear to be pressing more in the ME so that could be the culprit.

I will have a bit more time tomorrow to play.

I do like this update up to now with more variation in the highlights than before.

This. I enjoyed the ME on Beta, and still enjoy it. Apart from some uneasy on the eye defending/goalkeeping early on I'm getting on the pitch what I'd expect to see with some randomness which again should expect to see. All cool. Best avoid this place a month or two after every release.

I preferred it pre-patch. I am now getting the back-post crossing problem from the beta again, my keepers keep throwing themselves to the ground as strikers walk past them without taking any evasive action, and really all 22 players seem to have gone psycho! Above all, my FM 11 and 12 dream tactic, which was refreshingly useless in early FM 13, is now good again :(

I can't agree with you mate, there are different (but still logical) ways to play the game and some of them have been seriously affected by ME changes; then I think you noted as well there are less completed passes, less shots, less goals and tackling is overpowered now.

Probably it's a choice, not necessarily a good one.

Reading all this makes me worried about running the game again and updating. I liked the game as it was, will I still enjoy it? :/

Man how the world changes.

Just yesterday you were accusing people for not being truthful about their shots at goal compared to the opposition and losing games,you had said that no-one was posting screenshots of it.

I quote "I'm seeing a lot of these type of 'hundreds of shots on goal but not winning' posts recently. What's the common denominator? No screenshots. "

Strange world sometimes :)

You're quite right.

Form before patch...

coventryprepatch.jpg

Form after patch...

coventrypostpatch.jpg

Three league defeats against inferior opponents..

Bournemouth...

bourne.jpg

Scuntorpe...

scunth.jpg

Shrewsbury...

shrews.jpg

I'm not saying the update is wholly responsible, but the evidence suggests otherwise, which is a shame if its indeed the case.

If there's a word I'd like to say to SI now at this stage, it would be, first changing the tone to 'Assertive', then saying, 'You have played well so far but there's still room for improvement'. Anyways, you'd not like to hear from us saying, say 'Unlucky boys, things just haven't gone right for us so far'. And finally, I'd like to say, 'Keep going out there, your hard work now will all be worth it at the end of the world'. Cheers!

Reading all this makes me worried about running the game again and updating. I liked the game as it was, will I still enjoy it? :/

You should be worried :( When they release a patch and tell ya they know about more problems that they did not patch this time haha And they know it wont be so many shot on goals but it might get fixed in the next patch before FM14 is released ;)

And it seems like you cant say that the game should have been fixed before release since my post got deleted when saying it so keep praising SI for patching and working on a game that should have been worked on before :D

I have just played few games since patch but these are my first observations:

1. Games are played at much higher pace in general now

2. Passing is much more direct and players too often attempt overly ambitious and risky passes. Despite this number of extremely undesirable long (and low) horizontal passes has increased.

3. Positioning seems more rigid than before (this is very disappointing) and, as a consequence, teams rarely loos shape; lateral movement of defensive lines seems non existent, defensive disposition doesn't become denser towards the ball, there is lack of offensive movement, ball doesn't seem to lure undisciplined and/or unintelligent players out of position enough

4. Conditioning, stamina, discipline, tactical familiarity... do not influence enough (possibly at all) teams ability to hold shape during the course of mach*

5. Players don't defend runs along corner/goal line properly and goalkeepers don't protect near post adequately*

6. Number of tackles has gone through the roof, tackling is to successful/clean

7. Tackles from behind are still far to easily performed and used far, far to frequently

8. Number of injuries increased (I hardly had any before) <--- this is great improvement!

*This are long standing issues

With the ME patch resulting in fewer shots, I am somewhat concerned that it will be even harder to deliver on Board Promise to play attacking football. Hopefully the board promise parameters were adjusted as well to take this into account.

So turns out my previously successful tactics are now useless. I use inside forwards and they used to both score and make goals. Now they neither score nor make goals. They simply cross the ball like wingers and are utterly useless. My AMCs (all of them) are also useless. No goals. No assists. 6s and 5s for the last few games. All the assists are coming from the MC position which never happened previously. And my strikers need twice as many opportunities to score as before. Worst of all the games are now extremely boring. The build-up play is terrible. Movement is poor. Passing is much less accurate in the final third. It's far too easy for defensive teams to stifle attacking teams and then nick a goal with their only successful attack of the match because passing and movement is worse in the final third. I feel like if I played direct counter attacking and sat deep and hit teams on the break, I could win easily but I hate that kind of football.

I've been playing with 1 up front, always scored plenty of goals, but most came from the midfield, no matter what I did, none of my strikers were "goal machines" despite having great attributes.

Currently have my striker as a target man, pre-patch, he scored 24 in 37 - post patch, 21 in 18 - there definitely seems to be better crosses/passes directed at the striker now. :-)

I saw no update (or overlooked it) about team talks.

I noticed still that if you give players individual talks other players still react to the one player you talked to.

please fix this :(

plus, calmly" We are favourites go out there and impress me" 90% of the players looked to switch off

Did you shrink the 2D dots ?

I realise it's maybe not ME related, so apologies if it's the wrong thread.

But I've noticed this issue as well; the sprites/dots seem tiny after the patch. Was this a deliberate change?

Lol, I literally heard this term for the first time and I had to assume, based on his post and based on knowing what fullbacks are, that he's talking about wide midfielders. Half-back sounds like a defensive term to me though. My wide midfielders are an important part of my attack. If anything, I would be more willing to consider my CMs as half-backs, which of course would not happen under the current logic. I wonder if we'll ever call fullbacks as wide defenders? But I'm sure most people have their fullbacks going up in any version of the ME, which is why they are vulnerable to counterattacks and why we can't change the name of fullbacks :)

Just try and stop them. (the fullbacks, not the people ;))

With the ME patch resulting in fewer shots, I am somewhat concerned that it will be even harder to deliver on Board Promise to play attacking football. Hopefully the board promise parameters were adjusted as well to take this into account.
Exactly. I had 100% confidence in this and now after 10 matches it's at 35%. Give youth a chance works now though.

How about this? I haven't had such bs happen in 2 years pre patch and now this happens in my 11th match:

[video=youtube;p_Ui5DoZ_qo]

Awful backpass, everyone ignores the ball, striker doesn't pass the ball, striker can't finish. So many errors in 10 seconds.

Was looking at the 'average positions' after being thumped 5-1 and something I've ignored but noticed many a time is how close the AI teams central mids and central defs are compared to mine - we're both playing a 4-4-2.

The AI players are almost literally in the same place on the map whereas mine are far apart.

Anyone else noticed this? Don't know what to make of it but it's definitely still there in this ME.

I've gone from running away with the league at Christmas at the time of the patch at the end of january, to probably going to end up in the bottom half. I haven't changed my tactics properly yet, so whilst I can say I prefered it pre-match, if the majority of people think it is an improvement then I suppose I can defer.

However, I am struggling to imagine the IRL end of season press conference when the press ask me where I thought our title challenge went wrong, and I begin rambling about football being calculated differently...

Was looking at the 'average positions' after being thumped 5-1 and something I've ignored but noticed many a time is how close the AI teams central mids and central defs are compared to mine - we're both playing a 4-4-2.

The AI players are almost literally in the same place on the map whereas mine are far apart.

Anyone else noticed this? Don't know what to make of it but it's definitely still there in this ME.

Care to post a screenshot? It might be illuminating.

While my midfield's playmaking efforts have been enhanced, my defense is painful to watch. Why they take so much more time to start a run compared to attackers or move sideways instead of sprinting........

334urtw.png

This was Colchesters average positions. 4-4-2 - just look at the defenders!!!

I'll post mine...in a sec

gwtting alot of long term injuries post patch,almost one in every 2 games. closing down too aggressive?

If you're getting no shots, you must have some horrible tactics.

someone call me? :D

And here is mine.

I've 're-run' the same game many times now, always seems the same.

Love to know what the AI's tactics are!

s1nx8x.png

You're quite right.

Form before patch...

coventryprepatch.jpg

Form after patch...

coventrypostpatch.jpg

Wow... Not sure if I want to play on if this is not fixed. It seems to be the same for almost everyone, too...

Have to agree, people are trying to beat something using all the tricks of previous FM's when using simple, sound football common sensewill do the trick perfectly.

I'm sorry but that's bordering on insulting people who are raising legitimate complaints / observations in here. Dismissing everyone else's previous success as an exploit and insinuating that your own is down to superior football knowledge is embarrassing.

There is no getting away from the fact that previously successful non-exploitative tactics which worked on Monday, do not work today. Because of the patch. Surely that is what this thread is for - for people to relay their feedback given that SI now have hundreds of thousands of paying testers instead of the tens that test in-house.

The day I hear someone in authority on this forum say "It's probably your tactics but it's our fault cos we botched the match engine this year and we probably didn't get it spot on" is the day my jaw will hit the floor in surprise. =p

I'm stopping my file for a bit, I managed to go all season with minor injuries et al and I do manage the training to keep the intensity down when fixture congestion occurs. But bam, five players in as many weeks having 1month+ minimum injuries, including one bloke tearing his calf muscle as he ran onto the pitch from the dugout as a sub. Daft as. I know I have crap luck on occasions but that was just getting silly. I quit the moment a double 6+month injury happened out of nowhere after winning a dross match. Alas.

people are trying to beat something using all the tricks of previous FM's when using simple, sound football common sensewill do the trick perfectly.

I was one of the previous ME's biggest defenders on here. One of the main reasons for this is that using 'sound common sense' was working well before. Doesn't appear to be now. Now, I'm having to find a tactic which works best with this latest ME rather than find one which suits the players I have. You'll have seen the screenshot I posted which shows the before and after results. I've now changed my whole team's formation from a narrow 4-3-1-2 formation to a wider 4-4-1-1 formation, and it seems to be working better. But the point is, it shouldn't. I don't have particularly good wide players, as I've never needed them, yet I'm having more success with this set up than I was with players who better suited the previous formation.

I do hope it settles down, and I can go back to enjoying the game, but it's been a helluva upheval. All the more annoying when you consider it was never really necessary.