Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

It's true that before patch there were too much shots, no argue there.

But even your example, dont you think it's a bit odd? What you are saying is something like..."before patch, my tactic was ok, after patch it stop from working, but i've changed the roles in two players, and everything is working ok again".

I know this is a game, but dont you think things are a little but too volatile?

I would like to believe that a tactic that worked fine pre-patch, should also work fine post-patch, unless the tactic would take advantage of some bug the ME had... which is not the case.

I'm not to worry... i know that sooner or later i'll build a tactic that work again... i just think things should not work like this.

Your problem is you're obsessing over minutae, my tactic worked before and after (with minimal change) because it was based on how simple football really is.

Give the right player the right role and he'll perform adequately, use those roles to link the strata of your team in a realistic way and the team will perform cohesively.

If with those things in place a player isn't doing what you'd expect you can resort to tinkering and telling him to sneeze twice before half time or always tie his left boot first, or you can replace him like I do :D

SI gave you a million options, most of which are totally superfluous if you think like Shankly or Clough.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many different tactics have you tried to determine this? Do you have a seasons worth of matches to compare with real life statistics?

I just checked some random fixtures between AI and there were some games were the total amount of shots was 2-5, 5-4 , 5-5.

Maybe i am mistaken, but it struck me as a bit low.

I was pretty positive in my first post about the changes but having played more I've noticed a few more serious problems that's sucking the enjoyment out of the game for me; most notably of which is the conversion rate of clear cut chances. The amount of easy chances squandered is unbelievable! OK, even the best strikers have turned a tap in over the bar or around the post a few times in their career, but to fail to convert 2 or more clear cut chances almost every game is really frustrating! I can't see that it's a flaw of my tactic because that's more about the creation of the chances. Once the ball is at the feet of a player 6 yards out in space it should be a routine thing to turn the shot on target and demand a great save from the goalkeeper to keep the ball out of the net. Giroud and Cavani are the two strikers in question, so you'd expect good finishing from them both!

• Administrators
I just checked some random fixtures between AI and there were some games were the total amount of shots was 2-5, 5-4 , 5-5.

Maybe i am mistaken, but it struck me as a bit low.

My last five games:

6 - 12

10 - 9

5 - 9

14 - 5

8 - 10

It's very easy to take a small sample and jump to conclusions. I'd suggest giving it a bit of a chance - play a season and then let us know what you think. Thanks :)

I'm scoring more goals and defending better since the patch. It could just be good form but everything just seems a little better executed and players make better decisions. Still see the odd stupid mistake but it wouldn't be football without them would it? I stripped my tactic back to default on everything and after watching just two or three games in full had what I wanted again. The only thing that still occasionally frustrates is the extremely tight angles players shoot from which still seems to happen a little too often. As for injuries I think I have seen a small increase in the number of 'knocks' but not really in game ending injuries.

The match is much better now without doubt but I agree with 'jujigatame', too many injuries, seems to be a lot of own goals now too and in one match in-particular there were 7 (seven) disallowed goals.

Overall though this patch has made things much better and more enjoyable.

The other thing I don't like about the new ME is that it's made the gap between top sides and smaller sides more extreme, I'm not seeing as many upsets or close matches as I was before, I'm seeing the top sides win without having a single shot against, even away from home. This does not mirror real life where "every match is difficult", at least in the Premier League. I preferred the unpredictability that the previous version offered and enjoyed seeing the occasional upset.

Really annoyed/disappointed so far, especially because I feel like the game was a challenge before, you had to grind out every win, now I can go through a whole match without seeing a highlight from the opposition.

I will also add that I'm enjoying it. Of course, I have not played a lot of games to come on here and start ranting about the ME. But it does seems okay so far. With scores of 3-2 and 1-1, I am seeing results that seem realistic, I find the football being played realistic enough, with proper mixture of exciting moments and normal moments. This is beginning of the season where team has not reached full cohesion and tactical understanding yet. The pressing has obviously improved. I haven't yet noticed my defenders too eager (perhaps it is true, I don't know) but if you set up the players in front of the defenders properly, then it seems to me that this would not be an issue.

And no, I have not changed my general tactic at all (although I always tweak just a few things on match day based on what the opponent shows up with). So I would agree that people who are having tactically-related issues should consider that their tactics need changing. And obviously, you will never win every game regardless of your tactical ability. At least I don't.

And no, I do not use the same formation every single game, for those of you trying to have a one-hand-wins-all tactic. I alternate between about 3 formations when managing any team, but I use one of those formations about 75% of the time. Mind you, I'm talking about the starting formation, which is not always the same as how I end the game. But the point is, I'm not seeing this ME making my tactics useless. And it shouldn't unless your tactics are based on exploiting the (previous) ME. The way I get scored on is not really about tactics. One striker literally started in front of my defender, outdribbled him, then shot from just outside the box (because the other defender was going to tackle him) and still scored. Just because the your tactics are okay doesn't mean the ME is not allowed to put a ball in your goal.

One of my defenders just tackled another of my defenders on a through ball and scored an OG. The keeper was about 3 feet away and about to collect the ball. Pressing might be better and general defending might be improved but defenders (on both sides) are making too many mistakes.

Anybody else's Inside Forwards/wingers (played as AML or AMR's, or AMC) now absolutely ineffective, even though they are your best players?

Nope, my 20 year old AMC just got player of the month, don't use AMR or L just normal half backs.

Played my first game since the patch, didn't touch my existing tactics, went from Farnborolona to Wimbledon circa 1980's. Could barely string a pass together and the back four were just punting it up the field out of play, maybe it was just practice for my eventual winner.

[video=youtube;Ji6_xK0aPLI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji6_xK0aPLI

Gonna have to work on a new tactic I think :)

Anybody else's Inside Forwards/wingers (played as AML or AMR's) or AMC's now absolutely ineffective, even though they are your best players?

No. My AMR/L/C's have all played very well.

Meant to mention last night, free kicks are better and also very happy that tackling has improved reducing the stupid amount of fouls and cards.

Also I'm not experiencing the injury thing but then I never have done. Must be my well balanced training, rotation, tactics and selection of players who aren't made of glass.

I've had a quick scan through all the posts and can't find anything of a similar nature so apologies if this has already been raised or addressed...

Basically since the update, my squad registration page doesn't work. The selection boxes are blank and clicking them brings no response at all, left or right click. The number of players selected doesn't change either. The only way I've been able to continue the game is to Auto-Select the squad, which is annoying as for the World Club Championship I wanted to send the reserves. Anyone else having this issue?

What are half backs...?

Lol, I literally heard this term for the first time and I had to assume, based on his post and based on knowing what fullbacks are, that he's talking about wide midfielders. Half-back sounds like a defensive term to me though. My wide midfielders are an important part of my attack. If anything, I would be more willing to consider my CMs as half-backs, which of course would not happen under the current logic. I wonder if we'll ever call fullbacks as wide defenders? But I'm sure most people have their fullbacks going up in any version of the ME, which is why they are vulnerable to counterattacks and why we can't change the name of fullbacks :)

Poor SI can't please everyone. I've read tons of complaints about the pre patch ME but only had 2 or 3 issues with it. Now after patch I have more issues, old issues aren't fixed (apart from hours of passing between my mids) plus the games are just plain boring to watch. In 8 games my team managed to shoot just 75 times and 4 of these games were Europa League qualifiers against very very weak teams.

Anyone else getting crazy backpasses? Had a few of these today.

[video=youtube;0B-aGug0E3w]

Not a great game all round, had to take my GK off 5 mins in then after that happens i pull it back to 3-2, before conceding a last minute equaliser. :(

Anyone else getting crazy backpasses? Had a few of these today.

[video=youtube;0B-aGug0E3w]

Not a great game all round, had to take my GK off 5 mins in then after that happens i pull it back to 3-2, before conceding a last minute equaliser. :(

Not like this, but I do have weird backpasses, mainly headers back to the keeper from the center circle.

That's what I mean :D People are getting completely different results and opinions both pre and post patch.

You make that sound unusual, it's happened for every update of every FM since I started playing the game, it's called people :)

After playing a few games i think this match engine is a massive improvement, thought the original had serious issues.

Positives

*Less shots on goal (i think this is more realistic)

*Defenders seem to mark and close spaces quicker.

*Midfielders move into space better and play more through balls.

*Players dont feel the need to make 50 passes before playing someone in, they look for the opportunities quicker.

* I feel there is more of an obvious gap in quality between bigger and lesser teams.

Negatives

* Strikers dont seem to be looking to getting on the end of balls into the box and getting shots in (may well be tactical though)

* Almost all of my throw ins are thrown directly to the opposition.

* Defenders on a hat trick still taking penalties (may not be match engine issue)

* Wingers/inside forwards getting past their man and into the box always seem to shoot from too narrow an angle rather than rolling the ball across the 6 yard box for a tap in.

Not noticed any of the injury increases people have complained about so far either. All in all very pleased with the update so far.

One thing that's still really quite annoying - in the English leagues particularly - is how difficult it can sometimes be to see the ball, especially in sunny weather. There was one game I had recently where I had to switch to 2D classic just to follow it.

After playing a few games i think this match engine is a massive improvement, thought the original had serious issues.

Positives

*Less shots on goal (i think this is more realistic)

Maybe a slight reduced number would be more realistic but I don't see how both teams having 5 shots each is realistic. With this number of shots I can't even tell what's going on on the pitch and adjust. Pre patch I could actually watch my team and notice if my opponents are better, but now I get 1-2 highlights per half and can't do anything.

Oi and I hate defenders tackling the ball into own net - 3 own goals in 9 matches.

I seem to be getting the bizarre results people were talking about pre-patch...that I didn't get then!

In my Coventry save, I've beaten Birmingham 3-0 in the cup, and drew 0-0 away to West Ham in the next round, yet I've been gubbed 4-1 by both Scunthorpe and Bournemouth in the league. These kind of results simply weren't happening before this update. Again, it could be coincidence but the evidence is slightly worrying. Even more so, when this sort of swing in results against better/worse teams was one of the main bugbears of people before the update. Weird.

One thing that's still really quite annoying - in the English leagues particularly - is how difficult it can sometimes be to see the ball, especially in sunny weather. There was one game I had recently where I had to switch to 2D classic just to follow it.

100% agree with this, just had a match the same.

I made a 5-3-2 tactic using the TC, and it seems good. Seems necessary with both sweeper and DMC to prevent those through-balls. Nothing I did helped with Salisbury and the 4-3-3/4-5-1 tactic I use there, although I didn't seem to have that same problem with Swansea. Maybe player quality has become a bigger factor with some tactics? Not relative but absolute?

I requested that :p

Starting a new save with Blackburn, so I can build for this new tactic. Only things I "ticked off" with it are tempo (I don't like the increase in tempo along with width and mentality when changing strategy, and I am unsure about setting passing to Shorter to remedy it) and long shots to rarely all over. I believe with 13.1.3 sweepers will be the new big thing...

Is it possible for SI to post their stats from internal tests they've (presumably) been doing in-house so people have a proper benchmark? At the moment you have people arguing 'there's not enough shots', 'there's too many own goals', 'there's too many injuries' etc based off tiny sample sizes. It may be that there is an issue there but it's impossible for anyone on this end to know at the moment.

Archived