Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

I hope these patches don't fully eradicate player mistakes in the game. Was playing my Coventry save last night and a long high ball from the back was completely misjudged by the Brentford goalkeeper who dropped it on the edge of the box, right at the foot of my striker, who proceeded to balloon the ball over the bar, when it was easier to score. After the initial 'head in the hands' moment, my only real concern about that happening in-game was that patches would remove this. I loved the fact something like that could happen.

When has a patch ever fully eradicated player errors?

People just don't want it to become the norm, which is fair enough.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I only mention the GK as I had a cross come in from on the byline, which went straight across the 1 yard line, which my keeper rooted on the line just ignored.

I still see the silly byline charge. Wingers get past their man then become 'maradona' personified running along the line to punt it a) on the post b) at the keeper or c) score. This type of attack boils my blood, because it's not like they have seven people unmarked in the box to pass it to >_>

What has this ME done to my defenders? I'd like to think I'm not tactically naive, I varied my tactics (a lot!) assuming that tinkering was required to prevent the opposition from getting clear cut chances. Nothing seemed to work. I'm taking a break now and will give it another shot after the next update. It is dissapointing that the ME needed/needs so many fixes after the release of the final version of the game.

How about you guys fix:

- General Crappy match engine. Please just go back to the FM2012 engine, you guys gave this one a go... it failed. Please instead of 1000 tiny patches, just revert to the old engine.

- the amount of own goals being scored.

- The amount of times the woodwork is being hit.

- The fact that the AI has a much higher goal to chance ratio than a human player could enjoy.

- Terrible keeper ai and defender ai for human players.

- Make the game less frustrating, not easier... just less frustrating. Feels very random right now. Tactics are just a complete mess.

How about you guys fix:

- General Crappy match engine. Please just go back to the FM2012 engine, you guys gave this one a go... it failed. Please instead of 1000 tiny patches, just revert to the old engine.

- The fact that the AI has a much higher goal to chance ratio than a human player could enjoy.

- Make the game less frustrating, not easier... just less frustrating. Feels very random right now. Tactics are just a complete mess.

The ME does not know who is the AI and who is the human so those are untrue. The own goals has been confirmed as being worked on for the next patch.

Based on what? Not too berate you, but on what fact is this based?

The ME is global, whether it is a human manager or AI manager... it all works on the same system.. so if you see an AI manager killing it and playing great football, you can too...

simple as that..

Usually , it's a case of the AI adjusting to situations in a game faster or better than the user or even react at all.... a lot of users having issues on here just don't change their play style to react.

How about you guys fix:

The FM12 ME was virtually the same ME as FM11 because SI were at the limit of what could be done to it.

So they've taken 2 yesrs to rewrite much of the ME code from scratch. That may mean in some aspect the ME doesn't look or act as good as the FM12 ME, but in the future there is much more scope for SI to improve it.

If your tactics are a mess and yet a lot of people are getting good results then it does point to one obvious reason. I really suggest to pop into the Tactics form and have a good read, there's load of posts there that have made me re-think my tactics and although we don't win all the matches we're at least holding our own in L2 with a team that isn't quite ready for playing at that high a level.

Where? When? Who?

Think like in a chess game.

The AI team are the white pieces, the human team team the black pieces.

The ME are the chess board and the rules of the game.

In a chess game the white pieces dont play in a different board or with different rules... the same with FM! :)

Im guessing all 4 of your posts youve not posted your "bug" complaints in the correct places?

Thought not...

Actually one was... but as you have already said i'm new to this forum. Usually I don't post in forums, but considering the state of this game I figured they could use all the help they could get. In any case what would be the proper place to post feedback on the ME if not here?

They could get all the help they could by you slating the game without an inch of constructive critiscm? Seriously, hows that going to help? :rolleyes: Posts like i "General Crappy match engine. Please just go back to the FM2012 engine, you guys gave this one a go... it failed. Please instead of 1000 tiny patches, just revert to the old engine"... are the cancer of this forum.

The ME isnt perfect but its going in the right direction and a lot of people are enjoying it. You only have to go into the tactic area to see how challenging the new ME and see its playing how it should be played, thinking like a real manager.

There are a whole host of links to post bugs at the top of this page

need to stop players that run up the the near post from the wings to shoot. sillyness, especially when you score.

i thought the point of this FM was to speed the game up, not slow it right down by taking ages researching a team weaknesses, the main problem i have is you cant play to your strengths sometimes, because 4-2-2-2 which used tobe viable in FM12 with very good wingers... just doesnt work.

The FM12 ME was virtually the same ME as FM11 because SI were at the limit of what could be done to it.

So they've taken 2 yesrs to rewrite much of the ME code from scratch. That may mean in some aspect the ME doesn't look or act as good as the FM12 ME, but in the future there is much more scope for SI to improve it.

If your tactics are a mess and yet a lot of people are getting good results then it does point to one obvious reason. I really suggest to pop into the Tactics form and have a good read, there's load of posts there that have made me re-think my tactics and although we don't win all the matches we're at least holding our own in L2 with a team that isn't quite ready for playing at that high a level.

In my first game with Man Utd I won the treble in my first season and the quadruple in my second. Its not that I'm not winning... it's just that its very unsatisfying. In FM2012 your team form would be more consistent. You would go through good patches and bad patches, in FM2013 it feels relatively random from game to game. Having done an officially recognised coaching degree, I'm quite aware of tactics. However I feel they have been poorly implemented in the new match engine.

Fanboys have been quick to berate me, however when I pay a fair amount of money for a product, I have certain expectations for it, when they are not met I do have the right to voice my dissatisfaction. I'm sure the fine people at SI are not crying themselves to sleep over my criticism, however I do hope it spurs them on, as currently it seems that Fm2013 is far from where it should be.

Fanboys have been quick to berate me, however when I pay a fair amount of money for a product, I have certain expectations for it, when they are not met I do have the right to voice my dissatisfaction. I'm sure the fine people at SI are not crying themselves to sleep over my criticism, however I do hope it spurs them on, as currently it seems that Fm2013 is far from where it should be.

Welcome to the forums but you may want to watch with name calling here as the mods don't take to kindly to the likes of "fanboys" and such like being posted.

In my first game with Man Utd I won the treble in my first season and the quadruple in my second. Its not that I'm not winning... it's just that its very unsatisfying. In FM2012 your team form would be more consistent. You would go through good patches and bad patches, in FM2013 it feels relatively random from game to game. Having done an officially recognised coaching degree, I'm quite aware of tactics. However I feel they have been poorly implemented in the new match engine.

You are not doing yourself many favours here are you :o . .. Us "fanboys" just want to see the game succeed and believe it to be going in the right direction. Fanboys a bit derogative to be fair though fella :thdn:

You have every right to voice you dissatisfaction, of course you do. And No SI wont in the slightest look at your post because to them all it will look like is a bit of random trolling. Now if youd made an account, highlighted the areas you believe need improving or areas for concern with some feedback on why you think and how it should look... im sure they would pay some attention.

Welcome to the forums but you may want to watch with name calling here as the mods to take to kind to the likes of "fanboys" and such like being posted.

I understand and retract my "Fanboys" comment. I would like to apologise to anyone who has taken offence to this term. From hence forth I will try to better my ways. I will now use "persons who take deep personal offence to criticisms by third parties about matters of life or death, such as video games. Matters which would lead one to fight to the end to defend the honor of those being criticised."

I agree with you wholeheartedly, but you might want to cool down a bit. I was seething with rage too, but after posting my grievances in this thread and uninstalling fm13 until the next update i've calmed down. I've already accepted that i paid a good amount of money for what is in essence a paid beta and i've already resolved that i won't buy the game again until i'm sure it's stable next year. Coming at them like this isn't positive,plus the trigger-happy mods will infract you and SI will care even less than they do now, if that's even possible.

need to stop players that run up the the near post from the wings to shoot. sillyness, especially when you score.

i thought the point of this FM was to speed the game up, not slow it right down by taking ages researching a team weaknesses, the main problem i have is you cant play to your strengths sometimes, because 4-2-2-2 which used tobe viable in FM12 with very good wingers... just doesnt work.

The whole point of FMC was to speed the game up, the main game is getting deeper and deeper every year. If you don't have the patience or time to get in depth then FMC is for you. It's even got an instant result button.

I understand and retract my "Fanboys" comment. I would like to apologise to anyone who has taken offence to this term. From hence forth I will try to better my ways. I will now use "persons who take deep personal offence to criticisms by third parties about matters of life or death, such as video games. Matters which would lead one to fight to the end to defend the honor of those being criticised."

Welcome to the forums... The use of the word fanboy is usually met with swift punishment.. but since you are new, I'd sooner just suggest you rethink your posting style and take a breath to listen to what people are actually saying, without retorting with sarcasm, abuse and ignorance...

By all means feel free to share any criticism you feel necessary, but keep it constructive.. enjoy.

Thanks.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, but you might want to cool down a bit. I was seething with rage too, but after posting my grievances in this thread and uninstalling fm13 until the next update i've calmed down. I've already accepted that i paid a good amount of money for what is in essence a paid beta and i've already resolved that i won't buy the game again until i'm sure it's stable next year. Coming at them like this isn't positive,plus the trigger-happy mods will infract you and SI will care even less than they do now, if that's even possible.

You are correct, perhaps I have been too strong in some of my phrasing. However it is indeed born of the frustration that I have paid to do a beta test. I'm just afraid it's going to be patch after patch, and somewhere in the very distant future we will have a playable game, as it should have been on release.

You are correct, perhaps I have been too strong in some of my phrasing. However it is indeed born of the frustration that I have paid to do a beta test. I'm just afraid it's going to be patch after patch, and somewhere in the very distant future we will have a playable game, as it should have been on release.
Still too strong in your phrasing. We have a playable game, as evidenced by the thousands of people playing it. We don't have a perfect game, or a near perfect game. We have a game that has a number of areas in which it could be far better, but it is extremely playable. Hyperbole helps no-one. Don't confuse your frustration with the opinion of the masses.

Welcome to the forums... The use of the word fanboy is usually met with swift punishment.. but since you are new, I'd sooner just suggest you rethink your posting style and take a breath to listen to what people are actually saying, without retorting with sarcasm, abuse and ignorance...

By all means feel free to share any criticism you feel necessary, but keep it constructive.. enjoy.

Thanks.

Ok thanks for not booting me. I'm new to posting in forums, I did not know the word "fanboy" carried such a stigma. As far as I understand it's not meant as an offensive term, nor did I use it in that spirit. I will try to be more constructive in the future.

The whole point of FMC was to speed the game up, the main game is getting deeper and deeper every year. If you don't have the patience or time to get in depth then FMC is for you. It's even got an instant result button.

The problem with that is it's the same ME in FMC only with less tools to influence it. If people are struggling with the full version they will struggle even more in FMC.

Still too strong in your phrasing. We have a playable game, as evidenced by the thousands of people playing it. We don't have a perfect game, or a near perfect game. We have a game that has a number of areas in which it could be far better, but it is extremely playable. Hyperbole helps no-one. Don't confuse your frustration with the opinion of the masses.

Again you are correct. I meant that FM 2012 is still a superior experience for me, over FM 2013. Trying to be constructive I have noticed that FM 2013 seems to allow for much fewer variations on how a goal is derived.

usually a goal is scored from:

- Corner

- Winger cross from in the box, tap in in the middle.

- Ball passed though middle, shot from edge of area into goal.

- Own goal

It seemed that there used to be much more variety in fm2012. What i'm missing are:

- Long shots

- Cross and headed in.

- Interchanging passes inside box to allow a player to score.

What I mean to illustrate is the lacking variation in how is score goals. However the really odd thing is that in 90% of my cases the AI scores by a through ball down the middle of the pitch, starting at the half way line, placing the AI one on one with my keeper which it then seemingly always scores. This is odd as I don't have my players pushing up high, nor am i playing the offside rule. My defensive line is also not pushed forwards. However this is how many of my goals are conceded. I understand that this could happen occasionally, but it would be highly unlikely to happen frequently, with my team set up the way it is.

Another oddity is that it often seems to negate the Finishing and composure ratings of the goal scorer. Even if he has very poor ratings in these fields, more likely that not he will still score.

Again you are correct. I meant that FM 2012 is still a superior experience for me, over FM 2013. Trying to be constructive I have noticed that FM 2013 seems to allow for much fewer variations on how a goal is derived.

- Corner

- Own goal

It seemed that there used to be much more variety in fm2012. What i'm missing are:

- Long shots

- Cross and headed in.

Agree with the long shots statement, ive had to tone down all LS for all players as 99/100 they fly into row z.

The main gripe in goals conceded is by far post crossing goals and defenders not facing the correct way when crosses come in. Mind you im playing a narrow 4222 box so im asking for it really :D

Again, SI are tweeking this in new patch so shoul dbe better

- Corner

- Own goal

- Long shots

- Cross and headed in.

I have a striker with 20 heading and 20 jumping and 19 off the ball and 19 anticipation. He never scores headers. THey either hit the bar,go laughably wide, or he heads it right to the keeper. It's the same thing with long shots. 19 longshots center mid, hit the bar twice in one match, 30+ games this season , not one longshot has gone in.

Game is playable, but watching the game is imo half the experience and it is severely lacking.

Looks like the new ME update when its released will improve situation with the High injury numbers that some people are getting, as they have tweaked the AI tackling. Good news!

Match v1319

-----------

- More improvements to on ball decision making and pass choice

- Improved central midfielder starting position when team is in possession

- Tweaked midfielder and attacker positions when team is defending

- Fixed a couple of bugs causing players to fail to turn to face required direction properly

- Improved facing direction of player marking opponent who is moving onto a pass

- Fixed bug allowing players being able to partially "go through" other players to get ball without being penalised

- Small tweaks to improve the way players move onto passes or loose balls

- Reduced some instances of closing down of keeper when clearly illogical in context of player and his instructions

- Cleaned up a few bugs that delayed retrieval of ball at set pieces or kick offs

Match v1320

-----------

- A bunch of ball physics fixes mainly related to collisions and ball spin after bounce

- Reduced slightly unrealistic ball to player deflections

- More improvements to pass choice AI

- Tweaks to run with ball and first touch AI

- Reduced tackles that end in own goals

- Some tweaks to basic central midfielder positions

- Fixed some dodgy marking at mid pitch free kicks

- Improved full back positioning when waiting for short keeper distribution

- Improved near and far post corner aim point

Match v1321

-----------

- Some further ball physics fixes and refinements

- Fixed goal not always given if ball stops just over goal line

- Fixed some rare instances of player collision avoidance failing

- Further refinements to pass AI

- Improved pass, shot or header accuracy logic

- Further improvements to player reactions to the ball

- Fixed defences staying to deep just after corner taken

- Refined player positioning when defending free kicks from wide

- Made players press more collectively and aggressively when required

- Improved positioning of defenders against attackers running at pace

- Refined tackling AI a bit

- Improved facing direction while marking opponent around own area

- Fixed some more keeper AI bugs

Match v1322

-----------

- Improved collision avoidance AI slightly

- Fine tuned ball trajectory chosen by player for kick, header etc

- Fine tuned kick and header accuracy logic

- Fine tuned pass and general on ball AI

- Tuned long shot frequency and AI

- Toned down pressing slightly in certain situations

- Improved marking and engagement of ball player in wide areas

- Tuned tackling AI further

- Couple of small fixes to player reactions

- Fixed some small player pathing anomalies

- Fixed a couple of goalkeeper AI anomalies

So 1319-1322 are where we are with regards to the next update. I hope it sees the light of day pre Xmas but not finalised yet as much testing to be done!

I see nothing regarding players movement off the ball. That's very disappointing

I see nothing regarding players movement off the ball. That's very disappointing

Tweaked midfielder and attacker positions when team is defending ?

Some tweaks to basic central midfielder positions ?

Im not sure, the bullet points aren’t descriptive enough to know more

Ayala holds up the ball for no reason, then shoots against doyle who then heads the ball past my GK.

Ayala was man of the match!

[video=youtube;nPy0G94O8pM]

These "errors" that are not considered errors happen too often. It's disheartening to play this, at least give some errors my way!!

That's the kind of goal which makes this game IMO. Too many editions in the past haven't included that kind of error strewn incident. Ayala simply gets caught in posession, the ball spins in the air off the ricochet, and the attacker beats the keeper to the high ball. Beautiful, in many ways, as it encapsulates the human element of football.

Frustrating as hell when it happens to you of course, but you should appreciate that the ME can throw up situations like that. I'd hate it if that kind of thing was eradicated from the game.

That's the kind of goal which makes this game IMO. Too many editions in the past haven't included that kind of error strewn incident. Ayala simply gets caught in posession, the ball spins in the air off the ricochet, and the attacker beats the keeper to the high ball. Beautiful, in many ways, as it encapsulates the human element of football.

Frustrating as hell when it happens to you of course, but you should appreciate that the ME can throw up situations like that. I'd hate it if that kind of thing was eradicated from the game.

100%% agree with this. Things like this are a welcome addition :thup:

[video=youtube;pEmiv9mRo8c]

It's disheartening to play this, at least give some errors my way!!
The ME does NOT know if you are human or AI
100%% agree with this. Things like this are a welcome addition :thup:
Can't tell if you are being sarcastic, but that goal isn't unrealistic. It is entirely plausible a GK could mishit his kick when faced with 2 onrushing strikers.... The most unrealistic thing about the vid is the 2 onrushing strikers themselves.

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic, but that goal isn't unrealistic. It is entirely plausible a GK could mishit his kick when faced with 2 onrushing strikers.... The most unrealistic thing about the vid is the 2 onrushing strikers themselves.

I took it as sarcastic as it happens a bit to often to be realistic,also I would imagine that is CL football and I would expect the keeper if he is in doubt to kick it out of play instead of right at the player.

I agree it could happen every other blue moon but not as much as I seem to see it,that pretty much goes for all the errors in the game.

I took it as sarcastic as it happens a bit to often to be realistic,also I would imagine that is CL football and I would expect the keeper if he is in doubt to kick it out of play instead of right at the player.

I agree it could happen every other blue moon but not as much as I seem to see it,that pretty much goes for all the errors in the game.

If its happening regularly its an issue for sure. But it should happen every once in a while, no matter how frustrating.

I certainly won't argue with someone whose line of argument is that it happens too often rather than that it happens at all. Of course it is all subjective, I have never seen it in my game, but that doesn't make you wrong.

Here is another example of the errors being made that make no sense whatsoever.

In this game it has been rather even and the opposition had taken the lead in the 80th minute,we are now in the 86th minute and the opposition do this.

[video=youtube;7pO_qE4iJHk]

(unfortunately the clip is a bit short and does not show the keeper,if there are any doubts I can custom the clip and show again but he is tight against the sideline taking a freekick).

I was so annoyed that my team scored like this in such a good match I almost rage quit the game.

I would not mind if I see this maybe once every 5 or 6 seasons(even that is high) but I see it at least 2-3 times a season.

I have the latest version of fm 2013 v.13.1.13 but my opinion is that they have to do a lot of work if they want to fix the game..to be honest last week i bought the game and i was very happy about it...but honestly with teers in my eyes i was very disappointed about the results...anything on the game dosent seems to work well.. any tactics i tried with several leagues i had no fun cause i found it very hard to play...my players just watching the ball...i dont see them aggresive enough..they are not defending .they are not running with the ball... for etc. i have man utd and i am playing with a lower division team and it is derby.... if i setup a tactic or not it is the same i have the same results they are not responsive to anything!!! honestly i am very disappointed about that cause i wish you could see me when i bought the game how happy i was about that till i install it and saw the game that nothing was working !!!

i need an answer do you will fix the game...or i bought it for nothing!!

I certainly won't argue with someone whose line of argument is that it happens too often rather than that it happens at all. Of course it is all subjective, I have never seen it in my game, but that doesn't make you wrong.

Yeah don't get me wrong I want to see errors,it is part of the game we all love.

That last YouTube clip I just posted,if that had happened and I had never seen it before in 4 and a bit seasons into this save I would have been jumping around the house about it.

The fact I had seen the same or very much the same thing about 10 times in my 4 and half year save made me pretty pissed off.

I am sure I am not alone in the fact if you lose it is sometimes pretty good if it has been a good match.(as that match was up until that goal)

The errors for me are the single reason at the moment why I am not playing the game.

1 good side to this is I can finally play some of my backlog of games on Steam,Having pretty good fun with Borderlands 2 at the moment. :)

Archived