Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm wondering if anyone has had success with any of the following:

1) Stoppers. In my experience setting a CB to stopper tends to be a disaster since they'll run out overly aggressively to close down the ball, and an attacker will invariably run onto a through ball via the hole he leaves open.

2) 3-defender formations. I experimented with this for about a quarter of a season and had to give it up because I was allowing around 2 goals per game as Man Utd, although my formation may have been too front loaded to work. Anyone had luck with a standard 3-4-3?

3) Any formation with 5 attacking players (2 strikers and 3 attacking midfielders/wingers).

In regards to the stopper, yes i always set up with one, as long as he has the right attributes, not had any issues really.

In regards to the stopper, yes i always set up with one, as long as he has the right attributes, not had any issues really.

Maybe a combination of aggressive closing down and the stopper role is just too much. I feel like this is how the majority of chances against me are created, even without the use of the stopper role. One CB leaves the line to close down the attacker who has the ball, and another attacker runs in behind him.

Maybe a combination of aggressive closing down and the stopper role is just too much. I feel like this is how the majority of chances against me are created, even without the use of the stopper role. One CB leaves the line to close down the attacker who has the ball, and another attacker runs in behind him.

What do you have the players infront of him doing? I found when i had my ball winning mid (def duty) playing infront of my stopper that they would clash with each other, challenging for the same space and making challenges in the same area, so i switched my two centre backs around and now it seems to be working much better.

As lighthearted and funny as you think this is, I think you're missing the point.

We can accept that mistakes happen in real football. Defending can be atrocious at times. The trouble is that when you have a defender passing to an opposition attacker for him to score, the game should put his ratings down and count that as an error. It doesn't, it doesn't recognise the mistakes the players are making and that means it is a bug. If the game says: "dreadful error by x to gift y the ball for the goal" we can accept that. What isn't acceptable is when the coding is wrong, which causes mistakes in the game that are not recognised as mistakes.

I posted a video of a cup final earlier where my leftback expertly dispossessed El Shaarawy, but then ran into my own area and passed to the opposition attacker for him to score. The game didn't note this an an error, and the player had a high rating for the end of the half when I wanted to tear him a new one I couldn't, because in the game he hadn't made a mistake.

We're just asking that mistakes are recognised as mistakes in game so we can apply the appropriate team talks etc. And every 'bug' in the game will have an equal real life scenario to back it up as being realistic. But one real life scenario doesn't make an every game occurrence realistic.

I fully agree that there are things that need fixing tweaking. Indeed an error not resulting in a poor rating is one of them. The video is directed at those people who rant about unrealistic "never happens in real life" errors. And as you and I both know when we go through all these 23 pages, there are quite a few of those posts.

Next to that I indeed judge the whole ME situation a lot more lighthearted. I was in the camp who thought the release of this FM/ME was not up to par mainly due to complete passive defending (whether that defending was done by a defender, midfielder or attacker). And as a paying customer I constructively but with a cynical undertone questioned SI's approach.

In my opinion SI then showed with the new patch and latest ME that they understood our particular concerns at that time. I see loads of fixes already. The current ME imho is indeed far from unplayable and I agree with for instance Ackter when he states this ME is perfectly playable. That is something entirely different than stating the ME is perfect. Perfectly playable to me means there are still weird things happening but overall balanced over an entire season when using logical tactics the good heavily outweighs the bad. And the good is better than ever before, football by my own team as well as by the AI has never simulated the real life experience as much as in this FM. AI teams really react to the strengths and weaknesses of my team. I embrace it, enjoy it and love it.

Perhaps a nice idea would be that SI collects and shares some save games by happy customers who truly enjoy this ME and have somewhat mastered the tactical sides of the ME. Perhaps good saves would help those people who are open to learning by watching to enjoy the game more. Because I truly have the feeling that inlogical tactics/formations/player choices can lead to a chain of negative movements and to the worst case scenario's. Just an idea though :)

What do you have the players infront of him doing? I found when i had my ball winning mid (def duty) playing infront of my stopper that they would clash with each other, challenging for the same space and making challenges in the same area, so i switched my two centre backs around and now it seems to be working much better.

Well it's been a while since I abandoned stopper altogether, but I think at the time I generally had Vidic as the stopper and Fletcher at in front of him in BWM/D duty. So maybe I was experiencing the problem you're referring to.

At some point I just started setting all CBs to CD/D all the time. I'm pretty close to a quadruple in my 3rd year with United so I don't want to rock the boat, but maybe if I start another career I'll experiment with stopper/cover duties again.

Well it's been a while since I abandoned stopper altogether, but I think at the time I generally had Vidic as the stopper and Fletcher at in front of him in BWM/D duty. So maybe I was experiencing the problem you're referring to.

At some point I just started setting all CBs to CD/D all the time. I'm pretty close to a quadruple in my 3rd year with United so I don't want to rock the boat, but maybe if I start another career I'll experiment with stopper/cover duties again.

Its by no means a perfect science, but i just a problem where he was getting caught out and my ball winning mid wasnt really doing enough to warrent his job so i switched them around and i saw a good change.

I fully agree that there are things that need fixing tweaking. Indeed an error not resulting in a poor rating is one of them. The video is directed at those people who rant about unrealistic "never happens in real life" errors. And as you and I both know when we go through all these 23 pages, there are quite a few of those posts.

Next to that I indeed judge the whole ME situation a lot more lighthearted. I was in the camp who thought the release of this FM/ME was not up to par mainly due to complete passive defending (whether that defending was done by a defender, midfielder or attacker). And as a paying customer I constructively but with a cynical undertone questioned SI's approach.

In my opinion SI then showed with the new patch and latest ME that they understood our particular concerns at that time. I see loads of fixes already. The current ME imho is indeed far from unplayable and I agree with for instance Ackter when he states this ME is perfectly playable. That is something entirely different than stating the ME is perfect. Perfectly playable to me means there are still weird things happening but overall balanced over an entire season when using logical tactics the good heavily outweighs the bad. And the good is better than ever before, football by my own team as well as by the AI has never simulated the real life experience as much as in this FM. AI teams really react to the strengths and weaknesses of my team. I embrace it, enjoy it and love it.

Perhaps a nice idea would be that SI collects and shares some save games by happy customers who truly enjoy this ME and have somewhat mastered the tactical sides of the ME. Perhaps good saves would help those people who are open to learning by watching to enjoy the game more. Because I truly have the feeling that inlogical tactics/formations/player choices can lead to a chain of negative movements and to the worst case scenario's. Just an idea though :)

That I think we can agree on.

oh i finally got a rebound in my favour.

but such things happen in general play from players hitting the post, keeper parries etc

[video=youtube;dNHkpUIZX5s]

This goal should not count if that's what you mean..

This goal should not count if that's what you mean..

No .. the player is running alone and then he gets slower .. just without any reason . and i saw that many times with different players. running into the box .. then the player get slower and goalie catches the ball or a defender.

my video tho :lol:

I'm sorry, after 20 years this is the worst incarnation of FM I've ever played. The ME is just impossible to work out. I am getting thumped by poor teams week in week out. The defence and fullbacks in particular, are just awful. No matter how much I listen to the solid advice on here, I'm getting torn apart in every game. The next update has to sort this out as FM just isn't fun. It's not like I expect the win every game with one tactic, I enjoy looking at my scouts reports and tweaking but I just cannot get anything to work.

I'm sorry, after 20 years this is the worst incarnation of FM I've ever played. The ME is just impossible to work out. I am getting thumped by poor teams week in week out. The defence and fullbacks in particular, are just awful. No matter how much I listen to the solid advice on here, I'm getting torn apart in every game. The next update has to sort this out as FM just isn't fun. It's not like I expect the win every game with one tactic, I enjoy looking at my scouts reports and tweaking but I just cannot get anything to work.

Don't count on it.

To play FM13 successfully you have to read this manual here (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/332584-A-Twelve-Step-Guide-towards-Playing-FM13-amp-Understanding-the-ME) made by a moderator, not a SI-developer. (he may be one, who knows)

FM13 is a completely new game. Adapt to the crap they have made, or play earlier versions, such as FM12. I have given up on FM13 and made peace with my decision.

To play FM13 successfully you have to read this manual here.

You don't have to read any manual to play FM13 successfully. Thinking for yourself is normally enough.

There are a lot of good tips in the tactics forum I believe, but you don't need them to be able to build a successful team. After all, the guys who wrote them didn't need one.

The biggest problem with the CCC stat is how liberal it is with what it considers to be a CCC in the first place.

Definitely. Often you'll see a player hit a rebound from 3-4 yards which is saved on the line, and it's not a CCC. Then a player will shoot from an angle, 15-18 yards and it is. Can be quite misleading at times.

As for the stopper/cover combination, I've struggled with this one too. My main issue is that the stopper pushes up a bit early (to the point that he is already too far in front of the attacker when the ball is played) and the covering player isn't quick enough to move across. I am guessing that me playing with a high line and high closing down is probably the main contributor here.

why should the goal not count? it is fine, it is just an example of the silly rebounds that happen often

Not much wrong with the rebound per se, but it shouldn't have counted as you can't score from a rebound from a penalty unless a member of the opposing team touches it first , ie keeper saves it.

I wonder if everyone has had a little read of this btw?

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/334313-Going-against-the-Grain-a-journey-from-rage-quit-to-complete-satisfaction

Might help those that are struggling with the ME and it's issues.

Let me disagree with this..I even disagree with those struggling to win..I don't think that this is the real problem with the ME..

The real problem with the ME are all those weird things that happen which all are unrealistic..

We have seen many videos from other people with unbelievable incidents..For example the GK has the ball at his feet for so long with no clue what to do and suddenly an attacker comes and takes the ball from him and scores..That has nothing to do with the tactics used or anything..Other incidents with defenders eye-marking are real issues..An other one is when an attacker is on a clear chance to score but rather than that he sends the ball 30yards back..So in my opinion THOSE are ther real problems of the ME and not those that people moaning about not winning..

In one save I tested Barcelona and I had 12 wins in 13 matches but inside the game there were some very weird and unrealistic things happening which destroy the overall pleasure of the game..

I have a very earnest request to make, and I'm not sure if this is the place to do it or not, but it is worth a try. Ever since the last patch my ME is utterly awful and, above all, boring to watch. Before the patch I was really enjoying FM13 and had no major complaints whatsoever (can't seem to work out how to recall players from loan, but that was about it). It was working for me. Then I turn on my computer one day and it starts automatically installing the patch. Ever since I am not enjoying the game in the slightest. My goalkeepers don't move, my defenders have turned into great providers for the opposition, best strikers miss open goals over and over. I could go on, but the crux of it is I do not appreciate this patch in the slightest and would like to ask if there is anyway I can reset to the previous patch. I'm not interested in whether people think it is more realistic or better; it comes down to whether or not I am enjoying it. And I am not. I did not ask for this update, and it has utterly ruined the game for me. I am not that tech savvy, but I don't see why this should not be possible. Surely it is just a matter of deleting some (Very unwanted) code.

Please advise me if this is possible. As it stands, I won't be playing until I can fix this, as it simply is not any FUN

so my new tactic won 5-0 away, try at a neutral venue, starts off as it finished, passing the ball around scored 3 in 30 minutes, then it changes, players start being sloppy, getting tackled easily

now if this was after halftime then fine, but, what suddenly happened?

oh and yes unrealist stuff, like my player playing in RMF being tackled because he was stood at OUR corner flag with the ball, why was he stood there, he wasn't even looking at the pitch, he was looking at the crowd at the side of the pitch, then got tackled :/ (like the aboves GK one) this happens in a fair few games.

the problem is when struggling to win, is because of the strange stuff that happens, tactics that work for one save do not even work on another etc.

FM12 you could take a tactic and use it on multiple saves to the same effect.

I have a very earnest request to make, and I'm not sure if this is the place to do it or not, but it is worth a try. Ever since the last patch my ME is utterly awful and, above all, boring to watch. Before the patch I was really enjoying FM13 and had no major complaints whatsoever (can't seem to work out how to recall players from loan, but that was about it). It was working for me. Then I turn on my computer one day and it starts automatically installing the patch. Ever since I am not enjoying the game in the slightest. My goalkeepers don't move, my defenders have turned into great providers for the opposition, best strikers miss open goals over and over. I could go on, but the crux of it is I do not appreciate this patch in the slightest and would like to ask if there is anyway I can reset to the previous patch. I'm not interested in whether people think it is more realistic or better; it comes down to whether or not I am enjoying it. And I am not. I did not ask for this update, and it has utterly ruined the game for me. I am not that tech savvy, but I don't see why this should not be possible. Surely it is just a matter of deleting some (Very unwanted) code.

Please advise me if this is possible. As it stands, I won't be playing until I can fix this, as it simply is not any FUN

Why has my last post not been added to the thread?

You were on postmod, probably because the forum software thought you might be a spambot.

To answer your question, the ME can't be rolled back. Logistic nightmare in terms of managing bug fixes and feedback. Sorry about that. If you are struggling to win, there are a number of threads here that can help. If, like others, you are winning but still hate the ME, then there's nothing we can do until another ME update is released.

Can you please explain to me why this cannot be done? It hardly seems fair that I receive an update that I did not want, and that I have no choice in the matter. I don't want to spend hours reading through threads. I want to be given back the game I was enjoying and that I paid for.

Steam updates your game as standard (there is an option to stop the auto update within Steam) ..

As for rolling back... no it's not possible, the core game mechanics are changed and improved with each update, and it isn't just a case of deleting added content in the code.

SI are improving their product and it's akin to asking McDonalds to go back to their old recipe, because you don't like the new one.... just not possible.

Let me disagree with this..I even disagree with those struggling to win..I don't think that this is the real problem with the ME..

The real problem with the ME are all those weird things that happen which all are unrealistic..

We have seen many videos from other people with unbelievable incidents..For example the GK has the ball at his feet for so long with no clue what to do and suddenly an attacker comes and takes the ball from him and scores..That has nothing to do with the tactics used or anything..Other incidents with defenders eye-marking are real issues..An other one is when an attacker is on a clear chance to score but rather than that he sends the ball 30yards back..So in my opinion THOSE are ther real problems of the ME and not those that people moaning about not winning..

In one save I tested Barcelona and I had 12 wins in 13 matches but inside the game there were some very weird and unrealistic things happening which destroy the overall pleasure of the game..

No reason to disagree... I completely agree with you, those aren't the issues I was addressing there... the one's you are talking about should be easily solved if people bothered to post them in the correct place.. the bug reporting thread, as otherwise they can't be logged or ticked off as solved...

I, and many others have asked people to do so but for some very weird reason, they just post it here, which helps no-one and solves nothing.

If you want to get into vague metaphors, it is more akin to having your meal taken away from you whilst you are eating it, and replaced with something much worse that you did not want.

I did not know that there is a way of stopping it within Steam. Surely it would be worth inserting an option to decline when the update goes live.

I am very disappointed by this.

Can you please explain to me why this cannot be done? It hardly seems fair that I receive an update that I did not want, and that I have no choice in the matter. I don't want to spend hours reading through threads. I want to be given back the game I was enjoying and that I paid for.

Read the OP of this one: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/332584-A-Twelve-Step-Guide-towards-Playing-FM13-amp-Understanding-the-ME

Will take you no more than five minutes to read the OP and it will give you some enjoyment back. I'm afraid this is the only way we can help right now.

If you want to get into vague metaphors, it is more akin to having your meal taken away from you whilst you are eating it, and replaced with something much worse that you did not want.

I did not know that there is a way of stopping it within Steam. Surely it would be worth inserting an option to decline when the update goes live.

I am very disappointed by this.

Sadly, that's a Steam issue.. not really anything to do with this game in particular...

As wwfan says, its a case of playing the game as is or waiting for a patch now unfortunately ...

I would expand on this metaphor, and say it's more akin to be eating a cheap Tesco steak, then having it replaced with some filet mignon. Whilst the cognoscenti realise the change is very much for the better, and can appreciate the delights on the pallet, the proles will lead their usual pitchfork revolt, stamping their feet at the sheer injustice of it all.

Yeah, that fits better really.

Regards, etc.

oh i finally got a rebound in my favour.

but such things happen in general play from players hitting the post, keeper parries etc

[video=youtube;dNHkpUIZX5s]

This has happened to me a few times. Come on SI, this is a basic law. Why has it not been implemented?

I would expand on this metaphor, and say it's more akin to be eating a cheap Tesco steak, then having it replaced with some filet mignon. Whilst the cognoscenti realise the change is very much for the better, and can appreciate the delights on the pallet, the proles will lead their usual pitchfork revolt, stamping their feet at the sheer injustice of it all.

Regards, etc.

Pitchfork revolt over steak? Things must be pretty dull up in Stirling.

Anyway, this still ignores my central point: that I did not want the update and resent having no option to decline it. I understand now that there is a way of reconfiguring Steam to ignore updates, but how was I to know that beforehand? I am not a gamer, FM is the only thing I play, and I have no experience of Steam. It is most disappointing to have something that you are satisfied with and have paid for taken from you without your consent, then be told there is no way to reset it.

And you spelt pallet wrong. Quite a blunder for someone of such clearly distinguished grooming.

Regards, etc.

Please, oh please.. cut down on the trolling... this serves no purpose.. thanks.

Archived