Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

The only one that annoys me is the furthest forward attacker heading it on. You see plenty of aimless headers in midfield and defence in real life.

Or a defender with no one anywhere near him heading it behind for a corner rather than letting it run out for a goal kick.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only one that annoys me is the furthest forward attacker heading it on. You see plenty of aimless headers in midfield and defence in real life.

Very often IRL the attacker further forward does it. Either because they expect/hope for a runner or because there is no option at all.

One thing that is starting to riss me right off is the through balls. Whether its my side or the AI, the defenders seem to be facing the other way then they turn and start chasing the striker when its too late, and he's halfway to scoring. Anyone else get this?

One thing that is starting to **** me right off is the through balls. Whether its my side or the AI, the defenders seem to be facing the other way then they turn and start chasing the striker when its too late, and he's halfway to scoring.

So, exactly like real life then?

Would you prefer all your defenders to be facing the goal on the off chance a through ball comes along, so they're at least facing the right way? :lol:

Never? Seriously? Hyperbole much? I have to wonder how much football some of you have ever watched.

I'm all for picking the holes in and improving this ME but some sense of realism and understanding of actual football is needed.

Not in midfield, usually on the attacking wing - the player has no one near him and he will usually put the ball into touch instead of controlling it.

One thing that is starting to riss me right off is the through balls. Whether its my side or the AI, the defenders seem to be facing the other way then they turn and start chasing the striker when its too late, and he's halfway to scoring. Anyone else get this?

All the time. Winger plays a through ball from out wide. Defender continues to run at the winger, giving the attacker enough time to get in behind him and score. I get one of these almost every game.

What i meant is that its a massive delayed reaction mate.

I found dropping the D-line deeper alleviated much of the problems with through balls. Mayhap the defenders just need more time to react to through balls and hopefully it'll improve in a future patch.

Maybe it's my tactics, I don't know anymore. But could someone please tell me how I can get my defenders to chase the ball and not run away from it? Pazzini plays the ball into a space that seems impossible for him to get to. He has 4 defenders well ahead of the ball, considering his pace is only 14 he shouldn't be getting to that ball.

Except, Paletta decides to continue his run AWAY from the ball and the other players just walk around like they have nothing better to do, allowing Pazzini to run straight through and score. How can I make my midfielders bust a nut to get to that ball before the attacker, and how can I make my defenders turn around and chase down the ball and not continue running away from it?

Thanks.

9AkfQ.jpg

Was it that nearest winger who played the through-ball? I haven't really found a remedy against through balls from the flanks yet. If anything, pushing higher up is better than dropping deeper unless you drop all the way down. The more time the striker has before he can shoot, the better for the keeper, really. The efficiency of this move actually diminishes a bit then. Pushing up also helps getting nearer to the winger so that you can hack him down before he manages to hit that pass. Also, if you are attacking he needs to drop deeper to help his full back, so he won't be in that position as often. I have had some success maxing out the OI instructions for the MR/L positions. It increases the chance of one of your midfielders closing him down, and then your full/wing back stands off instead, covering just that 45 degree forward angle to the space behind your central defenders.

I cannot remember ever having seen in real life a 30-meter through-ball from a winger to the space behind the central defenders when the defending team is in a state of defensive balance.

Edit: for the record, your team doesn't appear to be in a particular good defensive balance in that situation. If the through-ball really did come from their right winger, it appears he would have had all the time in the world to pick the right moment for his pass. This happens when you play narrowly and their winger has the ball, so your side-back has to run towards him at one point. In this instance it was way too late, and why on earth do you have 6 players in a 15-meter radius around their single striker?

I believe there still is a "sweet spot" where things click into place and the tactic just works, or more correctly - there are many of them. None of them includes pro-active behaviour from your central defenders, and all of them includes slow rotation speed and delayed reactions of defenders.

If you take a look at the counter style in the TC, Tempo, Width and Defensive Line more or less coincides. As you change style, you can see that those three are usually in line. If you push up with a narrow tactic, with attacking mentalities, slow tempo... then this rather rigid ME will very likely punish you. A narrow formation (like 4-1-2-1-2, or a narrow 4-2-3-1 with 3 amc's like yours look like) on max Width won't handle the wide play of a wide formation. It is better to play narrowly with a wide formation. Basically, I am now sceptical towards formations with only one wide player (like 532 wing backs) since the most efficient attacking move in the game is very difficult to stop without an MRL player yourself, or at least an AMRL, along with a full back. In addition those formations won't be able to use that attacking move, so it is not only one but two huge disadvantages from not using wide midfielders or wingers.

I belong to a Forum in Brazil, and we are extremely sad, because we're not playing FM 13 are already two weeks. We think after the patch 13.1.3 Match Engine is horrible, with many defects. Hopefully providences by the SI, as soon as possible.

Can anyone advise whether it's possible to go back to an old match you played to record and upload a highlight? I am trying to show a bad piece f goalkeeping on this thread. I go to the game in question, record the goal but I cannot see how or where the upload highlights button is. I am logged into You Tube but have no idea what to do after record. Any ideas?

Can anyone advise whether it's possible to go back to an old match you played to record and upload a highlight? I am trying to show a bad piece f goalkeeping on this thread. I go to the game in question, record the goal but I cannot see how or where the upload highlights button is. I am logged into You Tube but have no idea what to do after record. Any ideas?

Go to your fixture list, click the score of the match you like to upload, at the top right corner there is a "upload highlights" button. Hover over it then click the custom highlights button. At the new screen you can export the the goals and clips you've recorded with "export custom package" button at the bottom right.The video is recorded to "Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2013\uploads" . You can also directly upload them to youtube with "upload custom package" button supposedly.(does not work for me some reason)

No point wasting big money on a GKer.. almost every single shot on target goes in.. for both teams.

My striker so far. 8 shots on target 6 goals

My CB 2 for 2

My AML 1 for 1

My AMR 1 for 1

Last Match - shots on target 4-1

Score line 4-1

[video=youtube_share;3NzDu_sVV70]

As you can see there are two glaring errors in the clip, first the defender stops going for the ball albeit being closer to it and runs toward his penalty box. Halfway he thinks better of it and sprints towards my player.

At this point ,mind-bogglingly stupid thing happens and my forward crosses the ball while the rest of my team still nowhere near the box.To add insult to injury, commentator says the player crosses low from the left

while it can be clearly seen it's a floating one.

11 days already an nothing new about the patch..Not even any news about the ME testing and at which point they are..Is there any chance that we will be able to play the game before christmas?

It is the first time in the last 14 years that I am sooo disappointed from the game in the series history..I would have been more happy if they have said from the beginning that the game is not ready and it will be released when ready or if they had the open beta for more than a month..It is obvious that the game was totally untested(I blame only the ME which is the most important aspect of the game) as we can see from the fixes that have already been made and will be made...The rest of the game is one of the best FM games in the whole series but that ME am sorry to say but it destroys the game..

I remember each year that the game had bugs(which is normal if there are not too many)but those we find at this year's version are so many that need urgent attention...

Reaction to through balls is still the most glaringly awful thing about the ME. The running backwards thing looks absolutely absurd and it happens in almost every game.

I also think there are problems with defender decision making. I've seen world-class defenders make strange "clearances" that only serve to put an attacker straight through on goal, and of course the issue where a defender (or attacker, it happens to all players but is a more serious problem when it's a defender) dances around the ball unable to figure out what to do with it, and then loses it. Way too small a percentage of the goals scored in this game look legitimately like goals that could be scored in real life.

welcome to the club

[video=youtube_share;3NzDu_sVV70]

As you can see there are two glaring errors in the clip, first the defender stops going for the ball albeit being closer to it and runs toward his penalty box. Halfway he thinks better of it and sprints towards my player.

At this point ,mind-bogglingly stupid thing happens and my forward crosses the ball while the rest of my team still nowhere near the box.To add insult to injury, commentator says the player crosses low from the left

while it can be clearly seen it's a floating one.

Have you uploaded a pkm in the bugs forum? I agree that this is a bug and the covering defender should be doing everything in his power to stay with the ball player. Can't be fixed in you don't provide an example.

Was it that nearest winger who played the through-ball? I haven't really found a remedy against through balls from the flanks yet. If anything, pushing higher up is better than dropping deeper unless you drop all the way down. The more time the striker has before he can shoot, the better for the keeper, really. The efficiency of this move actually diminishes a bit then. Pushing up also helps getting nearer to the winger so that you can hack him down before he manages to hit that pass. Also, if you are attacking he needs to drop deeper to help his full back, so he won't be in that position as often. I have had some success maxing out the OI instructions for the MR/L positions. It increases the chance of one of your midfielders closing him down, and then your full/wing back stands off instead, covering just that 45 degree forward angle to the space behind your central defenders.

I cannot remember ever having seen in real life a 30-meter through-ball from a winger to the space behind the central defenders when the defending team is in a state of defensive balance.

Edit: for the record, your team doesn't appear to be in a particular good defensive balance in that situation. If the through-ball really did come from their right winger, it appears he would have had all the time in the world to pick the right moment for his pass. This happens when you play narrowly and their winger has the ball, so your side-back has to run towards him at one point. In this instance it was way too late, and why on earth do you have 6 players in a 15-meter radius around their single striker?

I believe there still is a "sweet spot" where things click into place and the tactic just works, or more correctly - there are many of them. None of them includes pro-active behaviour from your central defenders, and all of them includes slow rotation speed and delayed reactions of defenders.

If you take a look at the counter style in the TC, Tempo, Width and Defensive Line more or less coincides. As you change style, you can see that those three are usually in line. If you push up with a narrow tactic, with attacking mentalities, slow tempo... then this rather rigid ME will very likely punish you. A narrow formation (like 4-1-2-1-2, or a narrow 4-2-3-1 with 3 amc's like yours look like) on max Width won't handle the wide play of a wide formation. It is better to play narrowly with a wide formation. Basically, I am now sceptical towards formations with only one wide player (like 532 wing backs) since the most efficient attacking move in the game is very difficult to stop without an MRL player yourself, or at least an AMRL, along with a full back. In addition those formations won't be able to use that attacking move, so it is not only one but two huge disadvantages from not using wide midfielders or wingers.

Thanks for the reply, but it was Pazzini that played the through ball to himself, I appriciate the picture is a little small, if you right click and open in new tab it's larger. Here is what happened.

Pazzini plays a ball into space.

sgZfY.jpg

Then my defenders just look at each other wondering when they should turn around and chase back, when they finally do, it's too late because Pazzini has picked up his through ball to himself.

9nILG.jpg

I'm just not sure what I can do tactically to prevent this sort of attack against my defence.

Have you uploaded a pkm in the bugs forum? I agree that this is a bug and the covering defender should be doing everything in his power to stay with the ball player. Can't be fixed in you don't provide an example.

Yeah,I've already did. Although my previous one did not get acknowledged by the staff with the logo. (Don't know if it is required, to be honest.)

Thanks for the reply, but it was Pazzini that played the through ball to himself, I appriciate the picture is a little small, if you right click and open in new tab it's larger. Here is what happened.

Pazzini plays a ball into space.

sgZfY.jpg

Then my defenders just look at each other wondering when they should turn around and chase back, when they finally do, it's too late because Pazzini has picked up his through ball to himself.

9nILG.jpg

I'm just not sure what I can do tactically to prevent this sort of attack against my defence.

there is nothing you can do to prevent that. players in this ME are just ******** morons.

#- passing in general is a bit poor, specially from midfielders with high passing stats. i have lost count of how many times a player in midfield passes straight into the opposition, and with how they are ******** morons, that opposition player just lets the ball touch him and he then stands still doing nothing as other players run to take the ball. when on the counter, when player x has the ball and player Y is making a run, player x passes where player Y is standing and not where he is running. player x here is wittingham who has great passing skills.

#- a bit too many goals scored centrally when the GK should save it.

#- support strikers and inside forwards are highly ineffective. watching on extended highlights, they are almost never involved in any attacks and barely start attacks. when the ball is in central position, inside forward(attack) doesnt get into good positions.

#- movement of players just makes no sense at times. they dont try to win the ball, they run away from the ball, they freeze at times.

and, graphically this is the worst FM in history, i can barely see the ball(horrific nightmare when the game is played under the sun), the pitch always look awful, the players movement looks extremely unrealistic, way worse than fm09 even.

I hate this game. I really do. I'm so disappointed :(

No win in 10. Squad harmony now very poor with no way of getting this back up. Players unhappy, fans unhappy, board unhappy. There's no way out of this rut. Play with the TC creating basic tactics, not changing sliders as we're told. I try 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-1-2-1-2 it doesn't matter, I under perform. My players manage 2 or 3 shots a game, they look uninterested and never run after the ball. Through balls are killing me and I'm getting torn appart every game by mediocre opposition.

I just hope the board sack me soon and put me out of my misery so I can bin this game for good. Games are meant to bring you enjoyment from playing, this is making me angry and stressed to the point I'm actually taking it out on my girlfriend. It's no wonder the ratings on Amazon are so poor. They're ment to be fun, this is everything but...

Obviously there are bugs and players do silly things.

I've just finished a season as Bleid Molenbeek in Belgian Div3B. Not a great level of football I'm sure you'd agree!

I played 2 games in the Belgian Cup, played 34 regular league games and 2 in the Championship Playoffs (I won the league!!). So 38 games overall

P38; W23; D11; L4; F65; A23

I didn't concede much so can't really complain how they were scored.

The other main complaints are injuries and OGs.

In those games there were 2 OGs, 1 for and 1 against.

I had 30 match White injuries that forced players off. 11 missed the next match. I don't think that is an excessively high number of injuries.

I had 16 Green injuries during matches.

Throughout the season, there were 20 injuries that forced players to miss training/matches. 7 were under 2wks out; 9 was from 2-4wks; 4 were for 4wks+. Again hardly excessive.

I only analysed my own games and the opposition had 15 Green injuries and only 8 White injuries. There was definitley a disparity between the number of White injuries suffered by me as against my opposition. However I think it is a case of the opposition White injuries been too low rather than mine been too high.

My experience is that the stats aren't that unrealistic. I was having problems with the stats not reflecting results but that was not over a full season. Once I completed a season things evened themselves out... in my favour!!

I hope it will continue.

I hate this game. I really do. I'm so disappointed :(

No win in 10. Squad harmony now very poor with no way of getting this back up. Players unhappy, fans unhappy, board unhappy. There's no way out of this rut. Play with the TC creating basic tactics, not changing sliders as we're told. I try 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-1-2-1-2 it doesn't matter, I under perform. My players manage 2 or 3 shots a game, they look uninterested and never run after the ball. Through balls are killing me and I'm getting torn appart every game by mediocre opposition.

I just hope the board sack me soon and put me out of my misery so I can bin this game for good. Games are meant to bring you enjoyment from playing, this is making me angry and stressed to the point I'm actually taking it out on my girlfriend. It's no wonder the ratings on Amazon are so poor. They're ment to be fun, this is everything but...

after my last game, where my DC was in perfect position to intercept a through ball but decided to freeze and let the striker score, i decided enough is enough and closed the game. this is not a football simulation, its just random things happening with no difference to what tactics you use.

has anyone had any success with attacking strategy? i havent scored even 1 goal on that strategy!!!

Sod to waiting to be sacked. I'm resigning and binning this. Every game, no matter what tactics, instructions, players. Every game I'm done with these pathetic through balls that my defenders just stand around and scratch their asses too, rather than trying to defend. Every time through the middle, goal. Every game without fail. It's ridiculous.

I've tried simple TC created tactics, changed no sliders, I've tried contain, defensive, counter, standard etc. but nothing works, I'm getting done over by through balls every time. I've deployed an anchor man and two BBMs to try help my defenders and to stop them rushing out and creating space for the attackers to exploit, but no, it doesn't work. My keeper just stands around rather than diving for the ball. I've said this countless times that my keeper just WON'T dive for the ball, rather just run at the attacker and watch as he slots it past him but I'm told this is my tactics, my tactics are making my keeper stand around and watch the ball go past him rather than dive to make a save.

Keep the thirty-quid SI, I'm done.

[video=youtube;iC-oRFYDhpQ]

There are a few good improvements in FM13 and I especially like that by hiring a Director I now can offload players. But the ME is very disappointing:

1) World class goal keepers making stupid mistakes like letting a cross go over their head into goal without pressure etc.

2) Players (good ones) being extremely inconsistent from game to game. I have started to drop players who had a very good game because they will be awful in the next one.

3) Great players being "nervous" playing a low team and not even being behind.

4) Silly reactions to team talks. Eg. Seasoned top players reacting badly when telling them you expect a win against a weak team.

5) Tried replaying games with exactly the same settings and getting the very opposite result.

Getting increasingly frustrated by the way i concede goals on my Bury save now.

seems every game, it is the same, opposition shoots, keeper saves, or it hits the post, EVERY TIME the rebound lands at thier player to score.

and I do mean EVERY TIME, doesnt happen to me, thier defenders actually function.

[video=youtube;oXHeuyOsoMY]

I uploaded this video because it is representative of probably 75% of the goals that I concede and it also seems to be related to (what I think are) weaknesses in the current ME. Specifically, the ability of fullbacks to deal with wingers seems to be really poor. In the above video, my fullback is set to both "easy tackling" and "show onto weaker foot" in an effort to force the winger inside onto his weaker right foot and avoid the cross but instead this seems to translate into a behavior where he just lets him run down the sideline and smack a cross in. A cross which literally flies maybe a foot in front my keeper who makes no effort to get it. Then there is an unmarked striker or winger at the far post to tap it in. Probably 80-90% of the goals I concede are crosses to the far post, where the fullback seems to be incapable of marking the opposing winger.

1) Fullbacks don't seem to follow "show onto foot" instructions

2) Keepers are really poor at claiming crosses, even if they are plainly in their area

3) Far post crosses are ridiculously effective. I think this is mainly down to fullbacks being really poor at marking on the opposite side of the field to the ball.

Just realized that the keepers are very poor since the patch. Not just their bad reactions to tackles (which lead to tons of own goals) but their match ratings as a whole. My world class keeper's ratings in 4 seasons:

| Year | Team | Division | Info | Apps | Allo | Sho | PoM | Av R |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2015-16 | Liverpool | Premier League | | 15 | 18 | 4 | 0 | 6.91 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2014-15 | Liverpool | Premier League | | 38 | 32 | 16 | 0 | 6.97 |

| 2013-14 | Liverpool | Premier League | | 37 | 27 | 18 | 0 | 7.04 |

| 2012-13 | Liverpool | Premier League | £17.5M | 38 | 22 | 23 | 0 | 6.86 |

Below 7 and 0 man of the match awards in 3.5 years! I've played 2 full seasons before the patch and the same keeper had 4-5 MOTM per season and higher ratings.

After quite a bit of time on this current ME build, I think it is both the best offensive and the worst defensive versions the game has ever produced.

Some of the movement of players going forward is just brilliant. So many intelligence, interchanging movements. Players use space better than ever.

Sadly, at the other end it's just a complete shambles. Like someone has just switched the defensive switch to 'off'.

Is it coincidence that 98% of the ire towards the ME centres around goals that the player has conceded?

I think not.

There's been about two posts regarding goals that the player has actually scored. It's almost as if people can't handle the AI scoring against them. I mean, HOW DARE IT?

If people spent as much time studying the game, and how to set up their teams properly as they do moaning incessantly on here, perhaps they'd actually enjoy the game more.

Sadly, the people with genuine concerns get lost among a minefield of utter dross. Some of the videos and descriptions of what people perceive to be bugs are utterly ludicrous.

That said, it never fails to amuse. :lol:

Is it coincidence that 98% of the ire towards the ME centres around goals that the player has conceded?

I think not.

There's been about two posts regarding goals that the player has actually scored. It's almost as if people can't handle the AI scoring against them. I mean, HOW DARE IT?

If people spent as much time studying the game, and how to set up their teams properly as they do moaning incessantly on here, perhaps they'd actually enjoy the game more.

Sadly, the people with genuine concerns get lost among a minefield of utter dross. Some of the videos and descriptions of what people perceive to be bugs are utterly ludicrous.

Results are picking up again for you then?

I think not.

Rubbish. Here's a goal my team scored, just for you

[video=youtube;8hyW61KFZ6E]

This is the first fm ever where I can't tell a keeper mistake from a horrible bug. Really, even FM 10 ME was better.

Not really. I am, and always will be utterly rubbish at this game. Probably why I always pick rubbish teams to manage, as it keeps it realistic. :lol:

Maybe that is because you are incapable of spotting ME weaknesses and take them all on the chin because "that's football"? The first step to understanding this game is to realize that it is a game, and that what happens is a result of programming code so that if you see something unusual happening on the pitch there are only two explanations possible: A) someone programmed that to happen, or B) it is a bug.

At that point, all that remains is to consider the likelyhood of A), and quite frankly nearly all the videos uploaded in this thread have quite low chances of being intentional rare occasions since the amount of code is limited.

It is baffling how much creativity and make-believe interpretation that is going on in this forum in an attempt to "explain" how absolute ridiculous events could happen in real life. Most of those attempts include "the player thought" or "the player intended". There is no such thing in a computer program, so the next time you see something happening in an FM match animation just think about the amount of code that is necessary to make it look like football, then think about how it is almost lifelike in most occasions but then something weird and strange happens; and then think about how much extra code someone would have to have done just for that thing to happen once or twice a season, or maybe never. After this, I think even you would view FM with a bit more scepticism.

Archived