Sports Interactive Community
PaulC

Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

over how many games did you notice it. Because if you notice too much own goals and injuries in 5 games ,it is a problem. how many goals and how many own goals? also how many serious long term injuries?

I've played 4 games today.

Seen 3 own goals - 1 for me. 2 Against.

I have seen 4 Injuries (Where player has to be substituted) - 3 for. 1 against.

And 2 knocks - 1 of which turned into an injury. These were both for didn't think about against.

I really struggled with FM13 so far. I read numberless tactic threads and tried a lot of forum-tactics and created a lot of own tactics... all failed. I had a great deal of possession but no CCC and thus very few goals. With Rosenborg I got beaten 0-6 by Hönefoss and a number of other embarassing defeats.

Now the first game with the new ME, I won 3-0 away from home against current league champions and leaders Brann Bergen who had previously won 9/9 matches. Too early to jump to a conclusion but all the efforts and the detailed approach I put into my tactics seems to be finally paying off. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: Results so far...

(A) 3-0 against Brann Bergen

(H) 3-1 against Lilleström

(H) 3-0 against Moss (Wow, that is my first run of 3 matches won in a row after 100 hours of FM13)

(H) 2-0 Ballymena

still averaging 2 injuries per game after 11 games. Tackling set to default.

That is more than most - there are still less injuries than IRL overall. Are these all "real" injuries or are you counting knocks?

Possible causes:

There are more injuries early in the season due to lower match fitness. This skews people's perceptions if they start a new game

High tempo/high pressing increase injury rates regardless of tackling

Low fitness/high injury proneness players have more injuries

Vicious circle of a few injuries leading to more "match-unfit"/lower condition players being forced to play, risking injury

Poor physios

Poor pitches

Bad luck

Small sample size

Selective memory

I've played 4 games today.

Seen 3 own goals - 1 for me. 2 Against.

I have seen 4 Injuries (Where player has to be substituted) - 3 for. 1 against.

And 2 knocks - 1 of which turned into an injury. These were both for didn't think about against.

5th game. 2 knocks and 1 injury. (Between both teams) I had one knock. Nothing came of it post-match.

I'd like to see some tweaks to players picking up the ball after it went out of play. Sometimes a player walks to the other side of the pitch to pick up the ball and walks back slowly. Really annoying when watching full matches.

Well done PaulC, for getting this out - Starting to play now and will post my views after a few games - feedback on here seems good so far.

After playing half a dozen games since the update I have to say I'm very happy with what I've seen so far. Looking much better. One thing that continues to irritate me though and has nothing to do with the ME and I know I shouldn't really mention it here for that reason is..... player likenesses. I'm not talking hair styles etc as I couldn't care less about that but I do wish skin colour was correct. Yann M'Vila, pretty sure his skin tone is a bit darker than Fernando Torres. John Terry will tell you....

Players slide tackled before this update you know. In fact, one of my players did a horrible two-footed slide tackle which got him a straight red! Never saw that in any previous version.

I've not had any injuries since the patch, and that's over about six or seven games now. (In my Truro save anyway, not tried any of the others yet).

I've also not noticed a great deal of difference in the ME since it was updated, but then I was one of those who didn't think there was all that much wrong with it anyway.

Was a tremendous game, still is a tremendous game.

My best advice to you is go back to FM2012, as I doubt this ME is going to be for you.

Why would the fm 12 engine be better for him? What is it he is asking for that isn't going to happen in the new engine?

Why would the fm 12 engine be better for him? What is it he is asking for that isn't going to happen in the new engine?

He thinks the old ball physics were better, we fundamentally disagree with that.

I've also not noticed a great deal of difference in the ME since it was updated

By contrast I'm noticing it it to be wildly different. As yet I am still undecided whether better or worse.

The most instantly noticeable difference I see is that now my players seem to be in perpetural motion, there is always people moving everywhere, whereas with the previous build most people would be quite still except for the players involved in that specific highlight, obviously I haven't changed my tactics in between.

Since the update I have gone from winning every game to losing every game, so I guess I must have accidentally 'figured out' the previous ME build. I'll hold judgment on the new one until I have had time to sort out a new tactical approach, but I do think it now looks more like football ( and I was always an ME defender anyhow)

He thinks the old ball physics were better, we fundamentally disagree with that.

Were the ball physics toned down from the beta engine, Paul? I remember the ball would hold up significantly in the breeze and often float a bit, which I liked. Seems to be somewhere in between that and FM12 now (which is also okay).

My results have been pretty much the same before and after the patch. It's only been a handful of games mind, but the matches seem to be progressing in a similar fashion. Certainly there's nothing standing out that's fundamentally different. People said pre-patch that every game looked the same. I never thought this myself, as most of my games seemed to have a rake of different types of chances. And that's still the case. People used to say direct free kicks were never scored. But I had quite a few scored, and there's been a couple - one for, one against - since the update.

Basically, I don't see anything major that's changed. I've maybe seen a few more defensive challenges, but I can't honestly recall if that's any different to what it was before. It does LOOK a bit smoother, and the keeper's do seem to save more one-on-ones, but that could just be coincidence.

Still think this is, by some way, the best FM ever.

strange, used wide players and got results finally, as united. play narrow where i had super success with Bury and before update beat 2nd placed hartlpool 4-1 away,, struggle to beat a league 2 team?

the same methods of scoring exist for me, indirect free kicks are the new corner exploit

Im undecided so far if its better, or just looks a bit better. The pressing is much better, but at times it kinda looks like players are wildly chasing every ball no matter where it is on the pitch, i didnt really mind the centre backs having a bit of time on the ball, my issue was always more the pressing in the final third wasnt aggresive enough. Still tho im happy enough with it as it is. Interceptions have been greatly improved, players challenging 50/50 balls a lot more and cutting out through balls, also teams lose posession quicker now with more through balls being attempted, which is a good thing. My only issue with this build will be the number of shots attempted, which obviously Paul warned us about, im my last 3 games there have been a total of 13 shots on target between the two teams, with 8 goals scored, albeit 5 goals in one game, i hope this doesnt lead to keepers doing very little during the season.

Overall tho looking good, i didnt have a huge problem with it before, but this seems a step in the right direction to addressing the "issues" some have harped on about.

lol haven't tried it yet, gonna start a new long save now, still it's kinda sad no matter what there's always someone complaining about some thing.. to me the game had one major flaw, the marking, and a few glitches as tackling and defend positions. If that is now fixed, SI just welcomed me to the best ME to date and it's time for me to get deep on this game ^^.

PaulC, good work from you and your team. Don't envy your work at all must be frustrating lol.

BB forums

BB unhappy people

BB "its your tactics" comments

BB rants

i cya next year! ^^

T- AM strata now comes back to defend unless set to "all out attack"

Thank you for finally addressing this. This looks like the most significant ME improvement in years. Nice work, SI!

Now, three questions:

Are there any plans to finally address 3-man defenses and wingbacks (i.e., "wide" centrebacks not going out wide and just holding hands with the libero despite aggressive wingbacks leaving the flanks open)?

Are there any plans to make the AI consciously utilize inverted/opposite-footed wingers in certain formations (mainly 433 and 4231) as opposed to simply relying on chance and PPMs?

Are there any plans to include the option for more innovative backlines (mainly, the "w-shape" with fullbacks/wingbacks level with DM as opposed to CBs and a defensive DM dropping to operate as a third centreback as wingbacks get forward and the centrebacks move wide to cover the flanks)?

Hi there SI team and thanks for the update. I haven't been playing for a few weeks because I was waiting for the ME update. ME update looks so far good but I'm slightly concerned about the amount of saves of my own goalkeeper. I've been playing through 13 games now with Atletico Madrid and here you can see the results and shots on goal:

Home        Away        Result  Shots on goal
Getafe      At. Madrid  2 - 4   7 - 7
At. Madrid  R. Sociedad 1 - 2   6 - 3
At. Madrid  CSKA Moscow 0 - 1   7 - 2
Malaga      At. Madrid  0 - 2   2 - 4
At. Madrid  Barcelona   3 - 3   10- 3
At. Madrid  Dinamo      2 - 1   6 - 0
R. Madrid   At. Madrid  3 - 2   5 - 7
Toledo      At. Madrid  0 - 5   0 - 9
At. Madrid  Betis       5 - 0   7 - 3
Dinamo      At. Madrid  0 - 1   2 - 5
At. Madrid  Athletic    5 - 0   9 - 0
At. Madrid  Toledo      5 - 0   9 - 0
Levante     At. Madrid  1 - 1   1 - 3

So there has been total shots on my goal 28 in 13 matches and I have conceded 13 goals, which gives an average of 1,15 saves per match. My current first selection keeper is Marc-André ter Stegen who should be one of the top keepers in FM. At least I think ter Stegen should be performing slightly better...

Also, I uploaded two pkms:

/fm/game-pkm/iGoR83_Levante_v_At._Madrid.pkm - Please see Rodris goal on 30th minute. First of all, the way I lose the ball doesn't make sense. Isco, with passing attribute of 18, gives the ball away far too cheaply with poor pass. Secondly, I think my keeper ter Stegen should get off his line because it looks like he would beat Rodri before he gets to the ball. Ter Stegens rushing out attribute is 17 and one on ones attribute is 14 so it doesn't make sense that Rodri beats him in this situation.

/fm/game-pkm/iGoR83_At._Madrid_v_Barcelona.pkm - Please see Cavanis goal on 29th minute. My centre backs do not react the clearence of Pique until it's too late and Cavani just runs away from them.

Hi Devs,

Thanks for the super ME update, its was a nice surprise.

Does the AI team selection come under Paul and his team? I was wondering if we are likely to see some improvements, I did notice in the update notes slight change to AI team slection. Im hoping AI teams will now give youngsters a chance in the fist team.

So... this update fixed the too many goals scored issue?

Or it's too low now?

I can see in Igor's post some worryingly low stats related to shots on goal

So there has been total shots on my goal 28 in 13 matches and I have conceded 13 goals.

Which is a pretty solid record. I'd be delighted with that!

So... this update fixed the too many goals scored issue?

Or it's too low now?

I can see in Igor's post some worryingly low stats related to shots on goal

I think you will find they are now reasonably realistic, and look at the goal stats in Igor's post, can hardly call that too low. I used to get ~20 shots per match, but the goals were realistic because they were all stupid shots through a crowded box after ridiculous passing sequences. I would say the new stats are more realistic.

I just need to work out how to now make sure it is my team that is doing the scoring.....

Which is a pretty solid record. I'd be delighted with that!

I'm not disappointed with that record, I'm just worried about the amount of saves of my keeper :)

I play with quite attacking tactics so this record is pretty solid.

I again have problem with crosses, opponents player cross from by line and the ball goes through the box on ground and GK stay on line, the ball goes to far post without any problem. And second problem is GK distribution. When play with 3 at back GK kick the ball although i give him instruction defender collect and give one defender instruction to come for ball. He goes near to GK but he kick the ball.

I don't know if this is new (guessing so as i've only just seen it) but my CB has just anticipated a pass into their striker's feet, taken it off him, passed a 5 yard ball into my CM and then ran past him for a 1-2! I was on counter at the time so that MAY be it, but I haven't seen CB's do that even with counter attack ticked.

Hi,

In the first post are present the changelists for the 1313-1319 versions. This update contains all them or just the 1313?

Thanks!

Hi,

In the first post are present the changelists for the 1313-1319 versions. This update contains all them or just the 1313?

Thanks!

all
I again have problem with crosses, opponents player cross from by line and the ball goes through the box on ground and GK stay on line, the ball goes to far post without any problem.
Ditto, after it being absent from the 1 previous patch
Hello everyone, I wanted to know if the players and the ball still seem to go ice skating :-)
Never saw this in first place

Hello everyone, I wanted to know if the players and the ball still seem to go ice skating :-)

haha pressing is so good now that my players cannot pass :D Cazorla 43 passes attempted 19 completed. Arteta 50, 29.

Am hopeful that this is a one off, if this will continue being a theme then back to 12 I go.

Hi,

Thanks!

The update will include all the fixes in the listed changelists.

can some one help me really want a game but this pops up when i play runtime error ! program file.... r6025 - pure vitrual fnction call

ahhhh I see SI have still not fixed players getting sent off for handball on the halfway line. Wp.

I will try FM13 now that there is a new ME update.

BTW, thanks Paul C for your commitment and thanks also for having kept us in the loop.

cheers

No, because that only happened in the imagination of some people on here, rather than in the actual game.

Hope this helps.

can some one help me really want a game but this pops up when i play runtime error ! program file.... r6025 - pure vitrual fnction call

You have aleady had a response from SI in the Bugs forum, so keep it in there please.

the same methods of scoring exist for me, indirect free kicks are the new corner exploit

How do you mean?

My players being constantly off-side from short throw ins, near the opposition byline. For example - Throw in is taken short, the player recieving the ball plays a short pass back to the thrower and the thrower is flagged off side.

Surprised this hasn't been addressed.

Edit - and my player, inexplicably, passed when he should have shot. He is a deep lying striker but surely no amount of decreasing the sliders should make a player do that, in that position. I'm sure even an out and out center back would have shot.

I didn't have many problems with previous ME version and I don't like the current one. Too many own goals, too many injuries and my only problem - wingers cutting in and shooting from point blank range straight into the keeper - remained.

McZidane Said :

My results have been pretty much the same before and after the patch. It's only been a handful of games mind, but the matches seem to be progressing in a similar fashion. Certainly there's nothing standing out that's fundamentally different. People said pre-patch that every game looked the same. I never thought this myself, as most of my games seemed to have a rake of different types of chances. And that's still the case. People used to say direct free kicks were never scored. But I had quite a few scored, and there's been a couple - one for, one against - since the update.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This. I had a feeling I was playing a different game to everyone else, although there were some bugs in the the previous ME, my players pressed, I scored freekicks, and play was varied.

Not played since the update, so I will hold off with an opinion, but from a few early post here people are equating stuffing teams 4-0, 5-0 to the ME being better.

Hope that's not the case

I think pressing has been tuned too high tbh. At times it's like watching schoolboy football as players just go chasing after the ball with no consideration of keeping shape. Have it on default setting and I am seeing 3 players (both wingers and CF) chasing down the opposition keeper and CB's coming out of the D-Line to chase attacking wingers instead of leaving it to the FB and/or winger.

I have noticed a few more injuries but not played enough matches to have a big enough sample to judge if it's problem. If anything they're weren't enough injuries prior to the update. Only played one full season so far and only had one player receive an injury longer than 6 weeks. There were a few niggles that kept players out for a week or so but not so many to cause any issues.

Although I think this is a massive step in the right direction, the low number of shots my team (and a few others) is having is a bit worrying.

We 'were' an attacking team but now we look like a timid and shy team.

Still, ME is going forwards, much to enjoy.

For the first time in two seasons, five games after installing the new patch, my team has been desimated by injuries. Coincidence or not? I did think before the patch, I barely had any injuries.

it will never be perfect but its good now imo.

my matches still have alot of shots so im not having the same problem others are having

For the first time in two seasons, five games after installing the new patch, my team has been desimated by injuries. Coincidence or not? I did think before the patch, I barely had any injuries.

You barely had any injuries? Did you raise that as a bug? Every team should have some injuries, look at the physioroom for example - http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

First impressions is that overall the gameplay is much,much better - I'm playing in the BSN and it's really frantic (spot on) and hard to get your foot on the ball sometimes.

However, worry is that defenders whilst tackling better, now seem totally impotent against a long ball over the top. Strikers are getting in behind far too often and that's where nearly all the goals come from now. It was too low, now a bit too high IMO. A tweak here to make that slightly less profitable, and headers from crosses tweaked a little to make them more useful I think It would be very very good.

You barely had any injuries? Did you raise that as a bug? Every team should have some injuries, look at the physioroom for example - http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

Not only that, physioroom does not include reserve/youth players or the majority of very short term injuries, so there are even more IRL than shown there. No FM ever - including the "injury bug" version has actually had as many injuries as real life.

What the hell is wrong with those through balls? Why 90% of the time a player tries a through ball the defender freezes there on the pitch?

i didn't play yet,but from what i read..so now we have too many injuries,own goals and too few shots on goal? and defence losing shape because of pressing? I hope that it's not the case..