Sports Interactive Community
PaulC

Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

So basically people want loads of shots in matches and going by previous threads, they want a much higher conversion rate than we have at the moment. What's the betting the same people are on here moaning when games start finishing 9-8 :D.

Personally I'm enjoying the new patch - my shot counts are a little low but nowhere near as bad as others are having. I've also had no real injury problems either. I'm using a basic 442 (tweaked along wwfans suggestions) and it was working fine pre-patch and its fine now.

Lol can people maybe not quote pedro2212's post?

Maybe a simple "I agree with pedro2212",it would save my finger from blisters with scrolling :)

Cross...goal

cross...goal

cross...goal

story of my life. Ive never run into this issue with any other FM. 4 or 5 at the back makes no difference. 1 DM, 2 DM, closing down...ive tried it all and nothing prevents the 1-2 goals a game i concede from crosses.

I only ever played FM12, but never had any success unless I used a tactic I downloaded from here.

I'm actually using my own tactic(s) now in FM13 and having the game of my life. I'm not in any way seeing this much-maligned issue of too many goals from crosses so it must be a tactical problem on your end.

All I did was pick a formation that I thought best suited the players I had, picked a basic playing style, and trained them in it.

Then during matches I will alter it slightly depending on the opposition. Changing the 'control' philosophy to 'counter' when playing a strong team (or 'attacking' when I need a goal), and maybe dropping the defensive line back as well.

I use shouts in every match, favouring the 'pass to feet' and 'work ball into box' shouts in most matches.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not patronising you at all. I'm just saying that this has worked great for me so far, and I'm not conceding many goals at all never mind from crosses (I have the best defensive record in the EPL so far, 11 games played).

Only played a few games with the new ME and the one thing that sticks out the most for me is the fact that I keep losing sight of the ball when it's travelling in the sunny areas of the pitch. I feel like a dog whose owner keeps pretending to throw the ball for him. I look to where I think it'll be and it suddenly appears somewhere else because I can't follow its flight.

Goalkeepers still refuse to pass to a defender, always lumping the ball up field.

Also just had some idiotic player placement on a three kick, they have never went there before.

So for whatever reason, they decide to play a bunch of Liverpool players onside and stand nowhere helpful. Very annoying.

newcastlevliverpoolpitc.png

No need to spoiler tag mate.

Oh ok. I just thought tactic discussion was frowned upon in here.

*removed*

The amount of injuries and own goals is insane.

^^This^^

I'm sure you will just be told it is you're tactics and training schedule though.

^^This^^

I'm sure you will just be told it is you're tactics and training schedule though.

I've said on another thread that injuries during matches shot up when i first started playing on the new patch. I then adjusted my tackling, pressing, closing down during the game and my injury problems reduced dramatically. Thats what worked for me anyway :)

Here are the average shots pr game so far by ea. team in EPL:

Arsenal 13,42

Aston Villa 9,75

Chelsea 12,17

Everton 16,33

Fulham 12

Liverpool 14,58

Manchester City 15,83

Manchester United 13,7

Newcastle 10,42

Norwich 10,08

QPR 11,5

Reading 8,82

Southampton 10,17

Stoke 8,08

Sunderland 6,82

Swansea 11,5

Tottenham 14,25

WBA 10,92

West Ham 10,42

Wigan 10,42

You can see more stats at premierleague.com

The feeling I have is that the stats from ingame are not far away.

For me the 13.1.3 ME was an improvement, I'm seeing far better defending and while I do have lower shot totals than would be expected, but the goal totals for the EPL and Bundesliga are normal so I can live with it.

The one problem I've had since release and is still a problem for me is the number of goals disallowed for pushing/interfering with the goalkeeper. Disallowed goals occur too often in general, but any 50/50 ball the keeper goes for seems to be won by the player who scores then disallowed for pushing the keeper. I see one in every 4 or 5 games.

Only played a few games with the new ME and the one thing that sticks out the most for me is the fact that I keep losing sight of the ball when it's travelling in the sunny areas of the pitch. I feel like a dog whose owner keeps pretending to throw the ball for him. I look to where I think it'll be and it suddenly appears somewhere else because I can't follow its flight.

There's an excellent mod where you can download a much brighter ball. Works wonders.

I've said on another thread that injuries during matches shot up when i first started playing on the new patch. I then adjusted my tackling, pressing, closing down during the game and my injury problems reduced dramatically. Thats what worked for me anyway :)

I think that is what is wrong with this years release.

You can no longer play the way you want to.

I know I may be shot down here but the truth is in every single edition of this game you could play how you wanted to play.

Now you have to play a certain way.

I like to use pressing and always have,now it seems I can't because my team and the opposing team will pick up so many injuries.

I also like to play direct football,now I can't as the only way I can get my keeper to play short is if I use shorter passing,even if I set him to shorter passing and to play it to a defender he will still kick it long until I set the team to shorter passing.

I know it could be "my tactics",I have a very successful save going on but I am playing football I do not want to play,I think this is why there is a lot of negativity from a lot of players.

A lot of vets always say this is there "go to game" as it is where they can relax and have some fun away from normal life,with this edition it has become somewhat to one sided and the normal response now is "go to the tactics forum".

That is not what people love about the game,I mean which Dad with a little downtime wants to spend it reading through countless posts about tactics?

People want to play the game and if they don't have a good grasp on tactics then they would normally select say Man Utd for an easier save,this has also been taken from them as even that team needs to use a perfect tactic to be successful.

I think it has went a step to far with the tactics,there has to be a fine balance and to have maybe someone constantly saying "it's your tactics,learn how to play" just turns people even more so away from the game.

Arsenal 13,42

Aston Villa 9,75

Chelsea 12,17

Everton 16,33

Fulham 12

Liverpool 14,58

Manchester City 15,83

Manchester United 13,7

Newcastle 10,42

Norwich 10,08

QPR 11,5

Reading 8,82

Southampton 10,17

Stoke 8,08

Sunderland 6,82

Swansea 11,5

Tottenham 14,25

WBA 10,92

West Ham 10,42

Wigan 10,42

Then can you do a full season in FM and compare it with RL , please

Then can you do a full season in FM and compare it with RL , please
I had 562 shots in 58 matches as Liverpool in the first season.

I think there's nowhere near enough curved shots and crosses in this ME. The only times I see curved crosses is when fullbacks clear the ball down the flank and it magically curves 90 degrees onto the path of my striker.

^^This^^

I think it is. I moved my defence up and stopped pressing and the past two games I've not had a single knock to one of my players and I've not seen an own goal either.

I like to use pressing and always have,now it seems I can't because my team and the opposing team will pick up so many injuries

No team in the world plays a full, pressing game for 90mins. I like the way they've up the ante on injuries if you play that way the whole game. Just think of it in terms of your players. They'd be knackered! No wonder there's injuries.

Just a guess. The increased amount of injuries was caused by the improvement in the amount of tackles flying in?

We are only guessing at the moment but it seems because they made pressing and tackles happen more that it has had a roll on effect to the high amount of injuries.

We have to wait on SI for the real reason,we are only speculating.

Just a guess. The increased amount of injuries was caused by the improvement in the amount of tackles flying in?

I think that is a factor but i think closing down/pressing instructions are the biggest reason, thats the main thing ive changed on my tactics that has reduced my injuries.

No team in the world plays a full, pressing game for 90mins. I like the way they've up the ante on injuries if you play that way the whole game. Just think of it in terms of your players. They'd be knackered! No wonder there's injuries.

Yeah you don't have to answer to any of my posts tbh.

When I say I like to use pressing ,I never said I like to play it for 90 minutes did I?

FFS will you ever learn?

You have to stop with this nonsense now you really do.At the moment you are just being a pest and helping no-one.

Yeah you don't have to answer to any of my posts tbh.

When I say I like to use pressing ,I never said I like to play it for 90 minutes did I?

FFS will you ever learn?

You have to stop with this nonsense now you really do.At the moment you are just being a pest and helping no-one.

Try to respond to the post and not the poster.

You said "I like to use pressing and always have,now it seems I can't".

This is nonsense, as you can clearly still use pressing tactics. Again, if you couldn't, the board would be overwhelmed with complaints. As it is, it's likely that you use pressing tactics for the whole game, therefore you are experiencing injuries.

Disclaimer for the hard of understanding - This is merely my opinion, and may or may not reflect what is actually happening in game. I base this opinion on a combination of having played the game and more than a modicum of common sense.

I am trying to help you here. The longer you have your fingers in your ears shouting 'na na na' the worse it will be. Trust me.

Arsenal 13,42

Aston Villa 9,75

Chelsea 12,17

Everton 16,33

Fulham 12

Liverpool 14,58

Manchester City 15,83

Manchester United 13,7

Newcastle 10,42

Norwich 10,08

QPR 11,5

Reading 8,82

Southampton 10,17

Stoke 8,08

Sunderland 6,82

Swansea 11,5

Tottenham 14,25

WBA 10,92

West Ham 10,42

Wigan 10,42

Notice that is the average. In my game a team hardly does more than 10 shots.

Does this forum have any option to ignore another poster?

If it does not then maybe that is something to think about.

Does this forum have any option to ignore another poster?

If it does not then maybe that is something to think about.

It certainly does. Click on their user name. Then view profile. Ignore user.

It certainly does. Click on their user name. Then view profile. Ignore user.

Thank you for that :)

Took 5 years for me even to think about asking about it ;)

Your tactics suck then. I've got no problem with conceding from crosses.

ive used my own and some of the ones from the forum with the same results. Ive never seen teams concede from crosses IRL like i do in my game. I realize the game is nothing more than a simulation but come on.

PS... was having issues with conceding from through balls and having my backline sliced open and managed to solve that problem quite easily, its the crosses that have me perplexed. My cb's and keeper could care less to mark or win the ball in the air.

I only ever played FM12, but never had any success unless I used a tactic I downloaded from here.

I'm actually using my own tactic(s) now in FM13 and having the game of my life. I'm not in any way seeing this much-maligned issue of too many goals from crosses so it must be a tactical problem on your end.

All I did was pick a formation that I thought best suited the players I had, picked a basic playing style, and trained them in it.

Then during matches I will alter it slightly depending on the opposition. Changing the 'control' philosophy to 'counter' when playing a strong team (or 'attacking' when I need a goal), and maybe dropping the defensive line back as well.

I use shouts in every match, favouring the 'pass to feet' and 'work ball into box' shouts in most matches.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not patronising you at all. I'm just saying that this has worked great for me so far, and I'm not conceding many goals at all never mind from crosses (I have the best defensive record in the EPL so far, 11 games played).

Ive been using my own tactics for the last 3 years now. Ive become quite good at it and if I showed u my stats from my FM12 saves you would be astonished. I used the same tactic for 6 straight seasons without any changes, thats how good it was. But for the life of me, no matter which tactics i use, be they the default ones, ones ive created or downloaded ones, i cant solve the problems of my CB's and GK dealing with crosses.

Given that the new ME has greatly reduced shots, but not really reduced goals by all that much, meaning that goalkeepers seem to be making many fewer saves, can I save money and just buy a decent keeeper instead of an amazing one?

Sorry SI, but things like this are just totally ridiculous:

[video=youtube;R3ebjALfD9g]

The FM13 ME just doesn't feel as "watchable" as the FM12 ME. I don't find myself drawn into the games on this version, I feel like I'm just plodding along. It's joyless. Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe it was because FM12 had a bit more zip and pace to it? I don't know.

One or two negatives I have on the ME although I do stress the positives outweigh them :

***It's nice to see passes go astray as that is real life football and in FM12 too many times lesser teams passed it around like Brazil, however there are a few too many aimless punts especially from full backs when a ball to the keeper or a CB is on. Have my defenders on little CF so not sure if that is an issue but yep a few too many aimless balls.

***Not enough "different types of goals" although better than FM12 when it seemed there was only 2 or 3 ways of scoring. I don't see too many wingers hitting the line with crosses or even full backs putting in deep crosses, although I have just had a knock down from Andy Carroll end in a goal so that was nice. A few occasions as well with both my team and the AI when a forward is 30 yards out but rather carry on he blasts it wide from 30 yards. Bit more variety I think is needed.

***Throw ins especially from full backs seem aimless and usually end up with an opposition player. I have my throw ins on mixed though so I may need to tweak my settings.

***I have my keeper on "defender collect" as distribution but even though the full backs are free he kicks long. This only seems to have happened with the recent update.

A few tweaks and it will be very decent though. I for one quite like the fact that you may have 6 or 7 chances and same as your opponents rather than FM 12's 25 chances to 31 !!!

Lastly I must share a gem. My Assistant warns me against Spurs to "be aware of Aaron Lennon's AERIAL PROWESS!!" a fella who is say 5'6 with a heading stat of 7 and jumping at 5... I had to laugh!!

You're not wrong superposh, the latest ME just doesn't seem to have any uniqueness to it, every game seems the same

the FM12 ME got to become very very good, I think it just needed slight tweaking for FM13 rather than a re-working

***I have my keeper on "defender collect" as distribution but even though the full backs are free he kicks long. This only seems to have happened with the recent update.

This is a known issue which should be addressed with a future update.

getting stupid, EVERY game not at home, creating the total of naff all with my tactics. so are the opposition.

usualy second half no highlights

oh and can we please do something about set pieces and setting the things up.

2 minutes were wasted on a croner because the ball boys throw the ball halfway across the pitch. and also keepers booting the ball out of the net for some bizzare reason walk backwards into the net and kick the ball at the post.

is there any reason why i let my assman manage games (because i'm sick of this stupid away game junk) and i come back out again with 2 long term injuries every time?

Haha amazing. Only on FM.

So I'm top of the league and I am well and truly the team in form. Confidence and morale is high. I travel to bottom of the league QPR. I should expect to get something right?

Wrong. I go there and we do not have a single shot. NOT ONE. QPR have 5 and play me off of the park. Not only that, but there are no highlights in the 2nd half apart from the start and end. Not one single highlight and I'm watching on extended.

yea that happens, 20th placed reading beeat Chelsea 3-2 just now on mine.

Assman talks junk

1-0 up, after 10 minutes from a cross put in as an OG (had a player there so hard to tell if it was)

after 17 minutes - it is evident our crosses are not working - what? and that cross that i scored from was what?

and AI suddenly becoming the better team when a goal down, its tedius and annoying. why does the game suddenly swing you can dominate, score, then get dominated back. making crazy results.

yea that happens, 20th placed reading beeat Chelsea 3-2 just now on mine.

Assman talks junk

1-0 up, after 10 minutes from a cross put in as an OG (had a player there so hard to tell if it was)

after 17 minutes - it is evident our crosses are not working - what? and that cross that i scored from was what?

and AI suddenly becoming the better team when a goal down, its tedius and annoying. why does the game suddenly swing you can dominate, score, then get dominated back. making crazy results.

I was playing with PSG against Lille, dominated the first half to the point they had 1 shot, was winning 1-0 because in my game Zlatan is a Blind Bat from idiotland and has a fantastic 1 goal in 5 games, and in the second half , after another one on one miss from the blind bat, my team change into idiot mode and in the last 20 minutes Lille score 4 goals, yeap, you read it right, 4 goals from the team that had 1 shot, and i lost 4-1, so yeah, this game is by a galaxy the worst game SI ever released, even counting with the terrible CM 2003-2004, i mean, i have played this game for more years that i can remember, since it first came out and it was just one championship, and i have never seen something as bad as this year, there is zero consistency to the teams, you can be playing world class football and a minute after that you have a team of blind clowns, so for me this is it, i will try again in 2013 for fm 14, i have no hope for this years game, a complete mess...

[video=youtube;EhJKPzBVfKU]

This is making me really pissed off at the game. Not the first time that it happened.

Cross swung in from the right, DC got to it. Passed it to my FB, he just stands there, 16 secs onwards. Then he got robbed off the ball and the opponent shoots. All thanks to my GK, if not I'll be another goal down.

FBs are quite a mess in this game. Either they loiter on the ball or sometimes, they try to be Gerrard with their ridiculous long passes to the forwards, on the other end, they also have tendencies to clear the ball up-field under the slightest pressure while ignoring other team mates that is close to them

[video=youtube;P6GjbnrxFAI]

The first goal shows absolutely dreadful defensive play from the centre back, something which I'm seeing time and time again. They look like they have no idea what they're meant to be doing and always end up in a right mess. The second goal doesn't actually show off how bad it was. The full back got the ball, ran towards his own corner flag and then stood there motionless to then dispossessed.

It just seems like such an unbearable game, which is both annoying and heartbreaking. Granted there are a number of really good features and the whole thing looks sleek and all, but the match engine is massively ruining my game experience.

Another thing, it seems to run far slower on my macbook than FM12 does, and my FM12 save game is in 2024. So many times I've had the Mac spinning wheel thing and I never get that with 12. Dragging icons on the tactics screen feels so slow and heavy and there's often a movement delay.

Sigh :(

Seen it yes, others have mentioned it on here too, also seen the midfield centres tight together like this, will get a few screens when i see it next and post them.

Edit : I'm an adult and don't make a habit of making things up for the sake of it, just saying :)

Two midfielders tight together supporting each other and two DCs supporting each other, you should be able to find a lot of screenies by me showing me doing it. And it's the default settings, I didn't do anything different. If the AI can do it so can I. And this is the feedback forum, there are tonnes of guys who can help show how over at TT&F

Ι am sorry to say but it seems that there are much bigger problems and issues to the ME than anticipated.

The ME was dreadfull to begin with and the patch did improve things a little, but only a little. It acts more like a placebo therapy than a real cure.

-The ball physics, that, well, defy basic physics laws.

-The cross in the far post which 8/10 times results in a goal and an embarassing slip of the goalkeeper. (It seems as there is no grass there, only ice and the goalie, just slips and fells).

-The defence (four men defence/three men defence doesnt matter) although improved still has a lot to learn about, well, defending. I live for the moment that one of my wing backs, will put some pressure in the opposing winger (and yes i tried everything regarding tactics/shouts/you name it) instead of just looking at him,or i should say, admire him.

-I also love the way that, when in attack and around the opposing team's box, my team(s) are playing an endless (or so it seems) one-two passing game, usually resulting in a shot so misplaced that puts S.Ramos penalty kick in shame. No one, regardless of his skills, seems to be able to pick the lonely guy on the far left/right of the attack.

There are probably more, but that is all i remember for now.

Please fix it, sometimes its not only unrealistic, is ridiculous, pure an simple.

Please bring back the FM12 ME back, even if it is on a non-save compatible patch. Pretty please, with sugar on top.

Well i was playing injury manager 13 this morning and when a match was going particularly well one of my strikers broke through the defense and into the box far away from everyone else scored his hatrick and feel on his back. What i thought was a strange goal celebration was actually an injury.

Some advice please lads.

Those that arent getting many injuries due to a lesser pressing game, what adjustments are you making to your tactics? Eg, where is your slider? Only pressing in your own half? Individual players set to not pressing?

I'm yet to find a balance, so any help would be appreciated.

It's definitely a difficult one with the pressing and injuries thing. I've yet to see anything out of the ordinary in my game and I've mostly had 'press more' on in my tactics. And I'm playing in the conference so the pitches are worse than awful (especially my own). Rest of the teams in my division are fine as well, the highest injury count is 6. So it's not like it's only tied to pressing. I think anyone having problems with this really needs to be uploading their save games to SI to determine what the cause is.

Every game. 4-4-2 or sometimes 4-1-4-1

I've had enough now. This is ridiculous. I have a world class team and I've just lost to a 3rd division side I have never heard of. That's it for me. Utterly atrocious game

zenit.png

lost 2-1

I'm a bit concerned that "Improved short pass accuracy slightly" will result in even more tiki-taka aka FC Stokelona.

I have played with short passes system the last versions.

In FM13 I used the same tactic as for FM12. The tactic worked very well with a possession of above 58%.

Lionel Messi was absolute amazing! I also play with crossing at rarely, but after the 13.1.3 update the players misplaces a lot of passes by launching long balls a lot of crosses and Lionel Messi has an average of below 7....(player role trequartista) .

Every game. 4-4-2 or sometimes 4-1-4-1

I've had enough now. This is ridiculous. I have a world class team and I've just lost to a 3rd division side I have never heard of. That's it for me. Utterly atrocious game

zenit.png

lost 2-1

So, they scored wth both their CCC, you scored with one of your two? Doesn't seem too unrealistic to me.

It's a cup upset. Not that it ever happens IRL or anything. :rolleyes:

What's good about this game for me this year is that the above scenario can still happen. You have to be on top of the situation every week. Like in real life.

They'll be dancing in the streets of Yenisey tonight. :D

Incidentally, have a look at these match stats I noticed from a few weeks ago (home team first)...

Possession 34%-66%

Shots on goal 6-26

Shots on target 2-8

Corners 1-8

And yet it finished 1-0 to the home side. That couldn't possibly happen, could it?

Except it did, as these are the real life stats from my team's 1-0 win over Rangers earlier in the season. So it happens.

Every game. 4-4-2 or sometimes 4-1-4-1I've had enough now. This is ridiculous. I have a world class team and I've just lost to a 3rd division side I have never heard of. That's it for me. Utterly atrocious gamezenit.pnglost 2-1
Honestly just putting up a post like that implying you DESERVE to win isn't shedding any light on the matter, explaining what you did via a thread on TT&F may help you more.And I've only seen one thread on the bugs forum re-injuries so it must not be a major issue.