Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot to mention, that I have not seen any increase in injuries, but I always keep my players fit and rotate players less then 95% on the matchday. During the match I look on the fatigue, and considers substitutes of the first ones that gets close to 80%. If someone gets a knock I check the fatigue, if it drops low I take them off, and if not I monitor them trough the game.

Maybe it´s just me but Iam dissapointed by the AI. I haven´t played a team that would have better possesion than me and I play in EPL and Champions league. It is just so unrealistic that even against powerhouses such as Man utd, Arsenal, Man City, I still average 60% possesion. Even when I use quick tempo, long passes I dominate possesion,the computer is just happy to sit back and defend. The AI is only reactive, there is no desire to be proactive, it just waits for counter, that is all. I haven´t played against Barca yet, but if I gonna dominate possesion even against them I will be annoyed. Anyone else has the same "problem"? It seems as if the AI doesn´t want to win, it is just happy to destroy with no intention of creating anything and if it hits you on a counter, it´s just a bonus.

See the pics in post 727. I am dominating the score and shots in every game. I have yet to have over 50% possession in a single game. Sorry to say, it's your tactics, not the ME.

Just my two cents: can honestly say that I am not seeing any of the injury or lack of shots issues in my Coventry save. I have been guilty of being extremely frustrated when trying to build tactics on previous editions but as wwfan has stated countless times over the last few weeks, you can achieve a level of success by simply sticking to sound football principles and cohesive roles.

For the first time in ages, I feel in so much more control of how my team plays and with th addition of a few sensible shouts at the right times, I have held on to games, nicked that last minute equaliser and feel genuinely able to influence the game all whilst playing a simple 442.

I would advise any frustrated fan to take time to read wwfans advice, implement it in game, give it time to work and if you are still having issues by all means come and raise the issues.

I also have to say that I am incredibly surprised that anybody from si bothers to come on here and interact with the forum what with the completely unwarranted, spiteful and sometimes even personal abuse that both they and the moderators receive on here.

That's all well and good, but with the number of injuries people are getting and the other issues highlighted is it any wonder people are frustrated. Tried another game, my keepers settings are on defender collect. He has three players to chose from, so what does he do? Kick the ball straight to an Inter Milan player to gift them a 2-1 win. Great. Tell me how my tactics could have prevented my keeper from passing to them for a goal, when he is told to give it simple to the defender on the left, or even smash it up field?

35xKY.jpg

I forgot to mention, that I have not seen any increase in injuries, but I always keep my players fit and rotate players less then 95% on the matchday. During the match I look on the fatigue, and considers substitutes of the first ones that gets close to 80%. If someone gets a knock I check the fatigue, if it drops low I take them off, and if not I monitor them trough the game.

Do you think people are stupid or something? That is the most basic thing a manager has done in CM/FM since day one. I don't even have the luxury of subbing players below 80% because in most matches I've used all my subs to take off injured players by that stage.

Well, there's bugs in the game, and the forum is a place to vent it all. Sorry, but I like this game, and, as long as the language is appropriate and teh criticism is deserved, then I think it shouldn't be censored. I won't come to the forum and elaborate on all the things I enjoy in the game, I come here and target the areas that drag the game down... For the record, I like the game (but seriously I stopped, angered at the overblown injury lists).

Just my two cents: can honestly say that I am not seeing any of the injury or lack of shots issues in my Coventry save. I have been guilty of being extremely frustrated when trying to build tactics on previous editions but as wwfan has stated countless times over the last few weeks, you can achieve a level of success by simply sticking to sound football principles and cohesive roles.

For the first time in ages, I feel in so much more control of how my team plays and with th addition of a few sensible shouts at the right times, I have held on to games, nicked that last minute equaliser and feel genuinely able to influence the game all whilst playing a simple 442.

I would advise any frustrated fan to take time to read wwfans advice, implement it in game, give it time to work and if you are still having issues by all means come and raise the issues.

I also have to say that I am incredibly surprised that anybody from si bothers to come on here and interact with the forum what with the completely unwarranted, spiteful and sometimes even personal abuse that both they and the moderators receive on here.

That's all well and good, but with the number of injuries people are getting and the other issues highlighted is it any wonder people are frustrated. Tried another game, my keepers settings are on defender collect. He has three players to chose from, so what does he do? Kick the ball straight to an Inter Milan player to gift them a 2-1 win. Great. Tell me how my tactics could have prevented my keeper from passing to them for a goal, when he is told to give it simple to the defender on the left, or even smash it up field?

Hang on. I was happy to accept this as part of the 'gk doesn't distribute short often enough' issue, which is logged. However, it actually looks as if he's panicked into making a bad decision because of the double close down. I've had my FCs (once) close down a keeper like this and score. Perfectly reasonable as long as it doesn't happen too often in my book.

6 clean sheets in 41 games. This is one of the worst computer games I have ever bought in my entire life.

A pathetic waste of money. Really distraught that a once great game has gone down the pan like this.

Two choices. One: continue moaning and give up. Two: Go to the tactics forum to learn about why this is happening and find a solution. If you can't keep clean sheets, then you are at fault, not the ME.

Having to sell Suarez because he's asking for 300k a month with insane bonuses etc. I can't even sell him for 30 million and he's worth 35 with two years left on his contract. Trying to sign a player for 12 million - He wants to be squad rotation and is asking for 70k a week, and before you ask, his agents fee demands is five, but he won't budge. Tried signing two 15 year olds and they both asked for over 15k a week.

Countless top players listed but nobody is buying them (see Suarez).

Did haggling get turned off in this version of FM? Because no clubs or agents are budging much.

Hang on. I was happy to accept this as part of the 'gk doesn't distribute short often enough' issue, which is logged. However, it actually looks as if he's panicked into making a bad decision because of the double close down. I've had my FCs (once) close down a keeper like this and score. Perfectly reasonable as long as it doesn't happen too often in my book.

He held onto the ball for too long, then panicked. If he kicked it when he got it, it would have been cleared easily. He waiting to be closed down by the attackers. There was time to either pass it or boot it upfield, but he waited...

He actually received with with 20yrds or so between him and the attackers. No idea why my central defenders had run off up the pitch when I'm playing defensive with stopper/cover combo. Any ideas?

RdL5s.jpg

Having to sell Suarez because he's asking for 300k a month with insane bonuses etc. I can't even sell him for 30 million and he's worth 35 with two years left on his contract. Trying to sign a player for 12 million - He wants to be squad rotation and is asking for 70k a week, and before you ask, his agents fee demands is five, but he won't budge. Tried signing two 15 year olds and they both asked for over 15k a week.

Countless top players listed but nobody is buying them (see Suarez).

Did haggling get turned off in this version of FM? Because no clubs or agents are budging much.

I suggest you wait to renegotiate towards the end of the season. One of my FCs wanted a 400% pay rise in a mid-season negotiation. I negotiated with him again in the close season, and he was willing to accept pretty much what he was previously on.

I suspect, because he was having a storming season, his agent was touting him around and trying to get the best deal possible. With no bites, the wage demands returned to normal and I snapped him up on a three year deal.

He actually received with with 20yrds or so between him and the attackers. No idea why my central defenders had run off up the pitch when I'm playing defensive with stopper/cover combo. Any ideas?

There is a minor bug which prevents short distribution from being as easy as it should be. I suspect it will be fixed in the next update.

35xKY.jpg

I have mine on defender collect but would not expect him to do that every time. It seems people expect their players never to deviate from from any tiny slider push and then complain about it not being realistic. In real life players are not robots, players make incorrect decisions and the unexpected mistake can always happen. I am not blindly defending the me because I am sure some people do have issues with it but there are issues and there are users getting frustrated. Unfortunately rather than take a breather, ask for help etc they get angry and blame everything but themselves.

Additionally there are some things in a match that a manager can do nothing about, surely we do not want that element removed as it would be unrealistic.

I suggest you wait to renegotiate towards the end of the season. One of my FCs wanted a 400% pay rise in a mid-season negotiation. I negotiated with him again in the close season, and he was willing to accept pretty much what he was previously on.

I suspect, because he was having a storming season, his agent was touting him around and trying to get the best deal possible. With no bites, the wage demands returned to normal and I snapped him up on a three year deal.

He wanted 200k during the season, which he was never going to get as we're not Man City, so I waited until the end and now he wants 300k. He's happy at the club and loves the club. It just doesn't make sense and I'd say it was pretty broken as it's not a one off incident.

Conceded 2 goals from long punts by opposition defenders where my keeper comes racing out to catch it and then dives out of the way. This happened in back to back games. I'll post links tomorrow, I'm off to bed now. And yes, it looks as bad as it sounds.

There is a minor bug which prevents short distribution from being as easy as it should be. I suspect it will be fixed in the next update.

Thank you for the update.

I have mine on defender collect but would not expect him to do that every time. It seems people expect their players never to deviate from from any tiny slider push and then complain about it not being realistic. In real life players are not robots, players make incorrect decisions and the unexpected mistake can always happen. I am not blindly defending the me because I am sure some people do have issues with it but there are issues and there are users getting frustrated. Unfortunately rather than take a breather, ask for help etc they get angry and blame everything but themselves.

I wouldn't expect it to be perfect every time and I know there is some deviation from my instructions. It's just frustrating that I was 1-1 with Inter with minutes to go. My GK who has 16 kicking decided to pass to their attacker than either a simple pass to my LB or smash it up field when he had plenty of time (see the next screenshot).

Conceded 2 goals from long punts by opposition defenders where my keeper comes racing out to catch it and then dives out of the way. This happened in back to back games. I'll post links tomorrow, I'm off to bed now. And yes, it looks as bad as it sounds.

Also had this. Keeper rushed out and just jumped out the way for the attacker to score. Lost that game 2-1.

He wanted 200k during the season, which he was never going to get as we're not Man City, so I waited until the end and now he wants 300k. He's happy at the club and loves the club. It just doesn't make sense and I'd say it was pretty broken as it's not a one off incident.

Have you tried a week before his contract runs out? Might be best to post these queries in the main, rather than ME, feedback thread.

pkms of this would be welcomed in the bugs forum.

I can deal with the ME tactically but what am I supposed to do about the injuries? I thought it was fine before I'm not sure why it needed to be changed.

Few things to think about:

1: Is your pitch in bad shape?

2: Are you playing very heavy pressing/tackling tactics?

3: Do you have a customised mentality setup, which can result in very stretched formations and thus players having to rush around like headless chickens trying to plug gaps? This can result in injuries from stretched blocks and desperate tackles.

4: Are you over or under training your players?

5: If certain positions always get injured, does your tactical approach have them doing too much work or put them under heavy pressure, meaning they'll get tired or have to cope with lots of tackles/pressing?

Thank you for the update.

I wouldn't expect it to be perfect every time and I know there is some deviation from my instructions. It's just frustrating that I was 1-1 with Inter with minutes to go. My GK who has 16 kicking decided to pass to their attacker than either a simple pass to my LB or smash it up field when he had plenty of time (see the next screenshot).

I do appreciate how irritating that must be. I could list countless last minute winners against me that have left me incredibly frustrated but all I do is take it on the chin and move on to the next game (usually ultra defensively, watching through my fingers and with gritted teeth lol)

From the 1st screenshot, it actually looks like he's miscontrolled the ball and slightly run past it, meaning he can't easily clear or pass it.

Agreed. This instance certainly looks like he was under heavy pressure and didn't keep his cool to make the correct decision. I once had my full-back pass back to the keeper who was then subsequently pressured when he'd come to the corner of the box. He kicked it up field but it was a low clearance and an AMC brought the ball down on his chest at kicked it 40 yards into an open goal. It's quite nice that keepers can feel pressured and these situations happen very rarely.

Goalkeeper's distribution is certainly bugged, but I'm not sure this is a fair example of it.

This is so frustrating. I can't believe how FM can be this bad. Every attack from wings are becoming goals for even lame teams but i can not score. This is absouletly ********.

I suggest you visit the tactics forum and describe your tactic in some detail (or use screenshots). I can guarantee we can quickly get you on the right track.

Tell me how my tactics could have prevented my keeper from passing to them for a goal, when he is told to give it simple to the defender on the left, or even smash it up field?

They couldn't have prevented it. Don't listen to all these people telling you it's your tactics. Even some of the mods here are defending the game, telling people their tactics are surely to blame. What a load of b.s.

I played the game for a decade, my father is a licensed coach. We understand football. We also understand that this game has faults and is hardly an example of a realistic management simulation when we can't get the players to do what we tell them to do.

I loved blaming myself for a loss in FM 2012. It was easy to take full responsibility for it because the game was pretty tight. It responded to our directions.

But this game needs a lot of work. I can honestly sit here and blame the engine for a loss, more often than not. And it's frustrating. That's why i've only been able to sit through about three games the past two weeks.

I was just thinking today, wondering who the dumbest players on the pitch are. I think it's a toss-up between keepers and fullbacks. Complete handicaps.

I really like the look of this engine, but it plays like sh---. It'll take months to straighten this garbage out.

But in the end, it will, once again, be a great game. All you can do is think of yourself as a guinea pig for now.

Beta test IV.

Oh my. Now the ref is blowing the whistle with EVERY pass my team make, all through the game. It's not a good night lads. I appreciate all the help but I have to turn this off because it is just frustrating the hell out of me now.

No worries. I still have those nights and when you feel like that it is best to turn off and have another crack tomorrow. Jus keep persevering tho pal, I don't have all the answers and but there are some great people on here who will be able to help you out whenever you need it.

I played with nearly 10 diffirent tactics in 10 different saves with each diffirent teams. This can't be a coincidence. I have never got this kind of problem in any version of this game's history...

Like wwfan said, head over to the tactics forum, post it up and take on board what they say. You definitely have to approach building a tactic in a different way for fm13

Tactic I used before the update is still working just as well now (there are ways around the ME just as there always have been, don't let people tell you differently). Only problem is as I said earlier the massive increase in injuries. This isn't happening to just my team either, i'm getting inbox messages every day regarding players on my shortlist all out for around 3 months, so I know it's not strictly down to my tactics, training, pitch etc

Before the update I thought injuries wise the game was good, seemed very balanced, now it's gone mental. Other than that I don't see a huge difference in the ME other than the pace of the game seems quicker/more direct and more goals are being scored from outwide. Other than that the ability to easily go through the middle of a teams defence is still very evident

They couldn't have prevented it. Don't listen to all these people telling you it's your tactics. Even some of the mods here are defending the game, telling people their tactics are surely to blame. What a load of b.s.

There are ME problems and there are tactical issues. Some people are using horrible tactics that should be getting ripped to pieces. The FM13 ME is far more sensitive to bad tactical structure because of the collision detection.

Forgive my cynicism, but I always find this kind of statement suspect.

I played the game for a decade, my father is a licensed coach. We understand football. We also understand that this game has faults and is hardly an example of a realistic management simulation when we can't get the players do what we tell them to do.

There are three possibilities. One, you are right and players don't do as they are told. I tend to disagree, as mine seem to, although your interpretation of obeying instructions might be more sensitive than mine. Two, you are not as tactically good as you believe. Three, you aren't properly interpreting your tactical ideas into the tactical module, which is usually the reason for this kind of feedback. That is partly the fault of the game for not having good enough documentation. However, we can't be sure which unless you describe your tactical settings.

I played with nearly 10 diffirent tactics in 10 different saves with each diffirent teams. This can't be a coincidence. I have never got this kind of problem in any version of this game's history...

Means nothing. If you don't have a logical tactical structure, then whatever you try will fail.

wwfan >> Any ideas on whether this is tactical or a ME issue? Seen it a couple of times before patch and a couple of times after. Not a major issue but a bit annoying in tight games.

A striker receives a pass between the two centre backs and looks like he is clean through but just as he receives the ball he stabs a pass back to a midfielder rather than control the ball and run through on goal. Happens in and around the penalty area and has happened to a couple of forwards rather than just the one so just intrigued as to why this can be and would appreciate your thoughts? Thanks.

For what it's worth here is my tuppenyworth on the ME. Yep I guess there are one or two issues but even an old classic tactic manager like me is actually enjoying the game so far. I play a 4-3-2-1 and a 4-4-2 and in the 4-3-2-1 I just love the way my CM's break away and score from deep and a lot of the play looks really decent. I actually enjoyed the 1-1 draw I just had with Chelsea as it was tight and there were only a few chances and it seemed like a hard point earned. I have kept quite a few clean sheets which I found tough in FM12. More scored would be nice but you can't have everything!!

I just need to get my 4-4-2 working as I can't seem to score with two strikers but pinching a point here and there rather than winning 4-1 or losing 4-1 all the time goves IMO a better feel to the game.

For anyone struggling I would say keep it basic. As I say I am a classic tactic manager and play a global mentality and pretty much most is on mixed. Obviously I will tweak as I learn more about this incarnation but as West Ham I lie 9th with 2 wins, 4 draws and 2 defeats. If I can turn those draws around it will be very respectable with as I say two very basic classic tactics. So IMO get two, maybe three basic frameworks and take it from there.

wwfan >> Any ideas on whether this is tactical or a ME issue? Seen it a couple of times before patch and a couple of times after. Not a major issue but a bit annoying in tight games.

A striker receives a pass between the two centre backs and looks like he is clean through but just as he receives the ball he stabs a pass back to a midfielder rather than control the ball and run through on goal. Happens in and around the penalty area and has happened to a couple of forwards rather than just the one so just intrigued as to why this can be and would appreciate your thoughts? Thanks.

Bug. I'm sure QA would welcome any and all examples of attackers passing the ball backwards when a shot or turn and shot (in the area only) is obviously on.

Bug. I'm sure QA would welcome any and all examples of attackers passing the ball backwards when a shot or turn and shot (in the area only) is obviously on.

Cheers for that, I'll keep an eye on it. It might just be Carlton Cole, he is prone to doing silly things IRL!!!

You don't know how to get Andy Carroll scoring do you?! Mind you Allardyce doesn't so I might just send him back!!!!

Thanks for your help.

Word of advice. If you want to learn how to improve, post in the tactics discussion forum, not the downloads forum. And put some effort into your posts. Nobody is going to want to help you unless you get rid of the negativity and approach things with an open mind.

I'd be interested to see some of the tactics being used by the people complaining about the match engine. I would also be interested to see how many games these people give their tactics to settle before changing it to a new one.

Just because you THINK you are a good tactician doesn't necessarily mean you are. There are plenty of managers out there who think they're good but are actually quite poor! Steve Kean anyone????

Well I'm gonna head to bed now but just want to say before any of you scream bug and shout about how the game is at fault, ask the question in either one of the feedback threads. You will always get an answer if you ask a question in a reasonable manner, bug or not.

Cheers guys, happy fming !

....I really am a slow typer lol, basically listen to what wwfan and Noel have said above lol

wwfan i'd be very interested in getting your thoughts as to why this tactic works so well in the game...

A narrow 4-2-3-1

Team Tactics:

Style: Rigid

Strategy: Standard (change this to attacking at the start of every single game)

Passing Style: Shorter

Crossing: Drill

Counter Attack: Yes

Focus Passing: Mixed

Defensive Line: Low Deep slider

Tempo - Low Quick slider

Player Tactics:

Every players passing to short and long shot rarely, everything else, unless stated below, leave as whatever the default is

Full Backs:

Automatic

Mentality - just below normal

Creative Freedom - slightly lower than mentality

Closing Down - Own half

Marking - Zonal (think all of these will be right as the default)

CD (Central Defender)

Defend

Mentality - very low defensive

Creative Freedom - same as mentality

CM

Automatic

Mentality - Normal

Creative Freedom - slightly lower normal

AM

Support

Mentality - low attacking

Creative Freedom - normal

Have the middle AM roam from his position

CF

Mentality - low attacking

Creative Freedom - middle much slider

Shouts used - Get Ball Forward, Pass To Feet, Play Out Of Defence, Play Narrower, Run At Defence, Work Ball Into The Box, Exploit The Middle and Hassle Opponents

No idea, as the settings are so customised I can't tell why it might be working. For example, you've given all your players customised mentalities, meaning your team strategy is overridden. Changing it from Standard to Attacking before every match does nothing at all. The shouts you are employing will override some settings but not others, as you've manually fixed them. It might be that you've stumbled onto a reasonably solid system, but there's no inherent logic that I can pinpoint without looking very closely at all the settings once the shouts are active.

In fairness, a lot of those mentalities are the default ones the tactic puts up, I don't think i've changed much of them other than the centrebacks and one or two others. But that's just my (and a lot of others) point, theres no logical reason in football terms as to why that tactic should work, really I should be getting destroyed down the wings, but i'm not, i'm scoring goals easily simply by continually going through the middle of the AI's defence. It feels to me like i'm just continually beating the ME because no matter who I come up against, it seems to produce pretty consistent results

In fairness, a lot of those mentalities are the default ones the tactic puts up, I don't think i've changed much of them other than the centrebacks and one or two others. But that's just my (and a lot of others) point, theres no logical reason in football terms as to why that tactic should work, really I should be getting destroyed down the wings, but i'm not, i'm scoring goals easily simply by continually going through the middle of the AI's defence. It feels to me like i'm just continually beating the ME because no matter who I come up against, it seems to produce pretty consistent results

You might be, or it might work into a logical system. Impossible to tell with all the manual changes you've made I'm afraid.

Played quite a few games last night on the new engine, had previously not lost a league game as Rangers scoring lots of goals, but being highly frustrated with the general way the game played. Too many long shots, too many impenetrable defensive walls...

After the patch loving the through balls, less shots but similar amount of goals and still unbeaten in the league.

Archived