Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

I read here how wingers are running with the ball alot . I cant get my wingers to do it at all for the most . Question is for those that have wingers that do run alot with the ball do they have ppm's to do so ? Mine dont have any ppm's apart from a back up player with "runs with ball dont the left" which he doesnt do.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The FM2013 ME is a new model and its the nature of the beast that it will take several updates to find optimum balance. Its also inevitable that some people will run into trouble as updates fix flaws that allowed their tactics to thrive previously.

There is no other way of creating the ME that we all want, than this process, and I make no apologies for that.

Can I ask out of interest, of those of you who are finding it difficult, how many are using the old classic tactics vs the Tactics Creator?

1. Do you know how number of passes attempted and completed relates to real life?

2. Does structure of passes attempted and succeeded (according to direction, length and zone) reflect real life?

3. Does number of tackles and interceptions (attempted and succeeded) as well as their distribution across the field reflect real life?

4. Is distance covered statistic in game "cooked" (adjusted)?

*Comparison broken across different leagues, levels and cultures would be ideal

The injuries are becoming a worry,the long term injuries are bad enough,I just lost 1 of my star players for 6 months with a broken foot,in the same game I ended up finishing with 10 men as 2 guys had also picked up knocks and had to be replaced.

The next game my right back was injured early on and is now out for 2 months,again in the same game I finished with 10 men as other players picking up knocks.

As I said the long term injuries are bad enough,maybe part and parcel of the game I know but the sheer amount of players needing to be replaced every game because of knocks basically means my subs are no longer for strategy but are requirements for the injuries you know you are going to get.

I am on the whole very happy with the improvements made to the ME and if the knocks could be toned down a bit it would be very enjoyable.

I'm not having too much trouble with knocks, it's the long term injuries that's costing me. In the last 2 month i've had 3 torn hamstrings, a broken foot and a broken wrist just off the top of my head and all to very important players. Some of them two in one game. Thankfully i have a decent size squad this year, any other season and i was done for.

I think there is a bit of a problem with how the highlights are constructed atm. With this new 'less action filled' ME it really seems quite difficult to get any sort of grasp of what's going on without watching full matches. Even on comprehensive the matches seem to fly by and it refuses to show any build up play without a sure conclusion. I find it really difficult to change things if I don't know what's happening and why my team have only managed to get 2 shots in 60 minutes of play despite great looking possession stats :(

Definitely prefer too few shots to too many though.

I've noticed that as well, the comprehensive mode was perfect for me before the patch, now it's too streamlined to understand what's going on.

I'm trying (but failing) to upload a PKM for the bugs section, but it's all too confusing and quite frankly i don't have a clue how to do it, can anyone offer any help on how to upload the PKM, i've downloaded the FZ thing but that's when it all gets confusing, i feel a right doughnut asking tbh so any help is appreciated.
I really want to get the PKM uploaded but i keep getting errors, will any kind soul be willing to upload it for me ? it's regarding a corner bug in 13.1.3 and if i don't report it then it won't get looked at/fixed.

Cheers in advance.

Right the ME seems better still some improvement to do but I dont know if as been said or is just in my saved game I get waaay too many injurys almost 1 x game and a lots more yellow and red card and i dont use hard tackling at all.

I have noticed on many occasions players that just weren't aware of the ball anymore in this new match engine.

I have noticed that defenders that are on a perfect interception path of the ball often just don't care about the ball and follow their marked player even if those marked player aren't in any position to be a direct danger.

There are other instance of players in attack just not being aware of the ball at all and receiving a normal pass that just end up rebounding on them without them reacting.

Sometimes both defender and attacker will ignore a direct ball to them that then goes out of the pitch.

I don't know if this was mentioned before, however I'm generally happy of the the latest fixes released. In my opinion, and according to my "tastes", it's good I'm not forced anymore to watch and play barça style any team I face :) And tackles seems to work properly.

But i have also some negative feedback to give.

My main concern is about DCs. They simply avoid to mark whatever the settings. I tried man mark, tight marking, more pressing, lesser pressing... nothing. They just get overpassed and rounded very easily by the opponent's forward, and they keep back-running for some time before they decide to finally turn themselves up and run straight, too late for a comeback on the striker. They are lenient, they don't even try to catch the ball. The striker falls over it like an eagle over a prey (as they are supposed to!) when my DC just watch it, side walking/running.

On corner kicks or free kicks, it's anarchy. I also fear the corner exploit has come back again. Scored and conceded many goals on first post.

Wingers run now freely beside the line, reach the bottom of the field, 90° turn, run towards the goal, dribble the goalie (or his concrete copy) and score (if not hit the post! i've seen that!) on empty net. All this without any kind of tackle or pressure by the opp's defenders.

I generally feel less power on tactic now, it seems there is no way to turn the match on your favour once the opponents score. I play on Control, attacking or overload, 1, then 2 and finally 3 strikers and 1 trequartista. Not even 1 attacking move by my team.

Cross on second post, again very effective as they were with the demo.

In my opinion the priority should be focused to central defenders now, they are very uneffective especially on central straight through balls.

Just played my first game with the new ME. Have to say, it was a lot more fun to watch with lots of goals and great comeback thanks to Shane Long. But three injuries in one half never occurred to me before. It might be coincidental, but still.

fm2013newmefirstgame.jpg

I've no doubt this will be the greatest version ever when the balancing have been resolved.

My dilemma is that in the meantime, i won promotion 4 times in a row in the original match engine to get my non league side to the premier league. I know that would not be possible under the current ME so I feel like I am in a 'false' position and should restart all over again. But i know I may be grinding it out in the lower leagues for season after season which though realistic, is not as much fun.

Then there will be another patch and i'll have to start again!

This says it all really. Personally i think if these updates are going to be continually happening then i think we should have the option to play the game up with whatever patches we want.

I think it's great that this work is being done to make the match engine live up to it's potential and it clearly has very high potential, but until then we should be able to play a patch and if we don't like it because it hinders our game (as has happened to many people with this new patch including myself) then we should be able to go back to that patch so it doesn't ruin our game. That way i think we are all as happy as we can be until the match engine is finished

The injury situation is quite shocking, i've now started again and got a 17 man squad. 3 preseason games in i'm down to 11 fit. Unplayable.

I played 4 games last night and got no injuries, so if there really is a problem in the game with injuries then why isn't everyone suffering from it?

What is your training and tactics like, how far apart were the friendlies and how long on average has the player played per pre-season game?

Does you tactics involve very high tempo. heavy tackling and high pressing?

My preseason is very high fitness training with at most 5 or 6 friendlies. In the first few friendlies I don't let any player play more then a half if I can help it and increase the time playing through the friendlies as and when I start to see my starting lineup. Then with at least 1 week before the first competative match I change the training to team cohesion to help the new players bled for several weeks.

Just played my first game with the new ME. Have to say, it was a lot more fun to watch with lots of goals and great comeback thanks to Shane Long. But three injuries in one half never occurred to me before. It might be coincidental, but still.

A lot of people picked up a lot of injuries in the first game using the new match engine, almost as though it was 'catching up' with players who had been getting away with too few injuries for a long time:lol:

It settled down for me but you will likely need a squad of between 22-25 players moving forward or you will be playing tired players and players out of position a lot of the time.

Start looking for those 'utility' players that can play anywhere across the back, midfield etc..... Where's Zabaleta at in 2019????

To add, it's all match day injuries not between games.

Can you open a thread in the bugs forum please, with some tactical and statistical information? I'd be worth uploading a your save and .pkm examples as well if possible.

As much as we are keeping tabs on this thread and looking into issues raised, we're not going to act immediately on anecdotal evidence. The team will get back to you in the bugs forum and investigate the issues raised thoroughly.

Edit: link: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/296-Match-Engine-3D-and-Team-Talks

Although I originally won 3-2 against Fenerbahce, in the end of the match Fenerbahce emerged victorious (1-2).

Here is the printscreen of when I had scored the third goal. The first half of the game ended with a draw of 1-1. During the second half Fenerbahce scored a goal, but instead of 1-2, 2-2 appeared on the screen. The match bar below also shows that there were only four goals, while five goals were scored in total.

43841781.png

I won 3-2 against Fenerbahce; however, as you may see, the final score is 1-2.

72704354.png

Here's the file. Please have a look at it.

I played 4 games last night and got no injuries, so if there really is a problem in the game with injuries then why isn't everyone suffering from it?

Can you open a thread in the bugs forum please, with some tactical and statistical information? I'd be worth uploading a your save and .pkm examples as well if possible.

As much as we are keeping tabs on this thread and looking into issues raised, we're not going to act immediately on anecdotal evidence. The team will get back to you in the bugs forum and investigate the issues raised thoroughly.

Edit: link: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/296-Match-Engine-3D-and-Team-Talks

In all fairness there have been quite a few people reporting this issue in this thread.

The only thing I have in my tactics that could be causing it is to press more.I have tempo set to normal,I have tackling set to default and every member is set to normal tackling.

Before the patch I had no such problem,I do notice the team presses more and maybe that can be the cause but to have so many knocks and injuries going on I think it needs to be toned down just a bit.

In all fairness there have been quite a few people reporting this issue in this thread.

In all fairness, there have also been people saying it doesn't affect them, reasons as to why some styles/tactics exacerbate the problem, and real life statistics to show there are many more injuries IRL than people realise.

In all fairness, there have also been people saying it doesn't affect them, reasons as to why some styles/tactics exacerbate the problem, and real life statistics to show there are many more injuries IRL than people realise.

I am quite aware that some people are not having problems while others are,that is why I said it may be with my pressing tactic,that is also why I quoted someone that had posted they were not having a problem,thanks.

The only thing I have in my tactics that could be causing it is to press more.I have tempo set to normal,I have tackling set to default and every member is set to normal tackling.

Before the patch I had no such problem,I do notice the team presses more and maybe that can be the cause but to have so many knocks and injuries going on I think it needs to be toned down just a bit.

There is a great increase in the amount of challenges in the game now compared to 13.1.2, so if SI has retained the previous Injury Proneness balance based on the complete lack of challenges back then (they would have to crank up the likelyhood of injury in tough challenges in order to get the statistics right with the previous ME), this could explain the increase many users experience.

What is your training and tactics like, how far apart were the friendlies and how long on average has the player played per pre-season game?

Does you tactics involve very high tempo. heavy tackling and high pressing?

My preseason is very high fitness training with at most 5 or 6 friendlies. In the first few friendlies I don't let any player play more then a half if I can help it and increase the time playing through the friendlies as and when I start to see my starting lineup. Then with at least 1 week before the first competative match I change the training to team cohesion to help the new players bled for several weeks.

In my game there were a few teams with 15+ injuries 2 months after the start of the first seasons, 2 months later there are even more teams with that many injuries

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/331086-Unrealistic-injury-rate

A lack of injuries causes a lot of knock on problems, aside from the immediate lack of injuries being unrealistic. AI squad building has too many depth players that don't play, when in reality they would get a lot more games to cover injury/tiredness. Player development is also affected, human managers play youngsters way more than they could IRL and so develop them very quickly, but AI managers stick with the higher CA older players who never get injured, and so AI young player development is much worse.

As odd as it sounds from a minor ME thing, injury rates have a wide ranging effect, and no injury rate in FM has ever been at real life levels, even the "injury bug" version actually had less injuries than IRL statistically. You actually need to have some depth to your squad if there are enough injuries, and it is less guaranteed which youngsters will develop.

I am quite aware that some people are not having problems while others are,that is why I said it may be with my pressing tactic,that is also why I quoted someone that had posted they were not having a problem,thanks.

You're right, daylight. But what you said only addresses one of his three points. Neil was on here the other day to point out that teams in the PL probably have 3-4 injuries at any given time. So I'd say maybe play a couple seasons, then see how you feel about the injuries. I personally don't mind if some of the top teams have top players getting injured :D. But I also want it to be realistic, of course. Just need more data, first.

I know there have been a lot of people raising the injuries in here, but it is all very anecdotal, hence the request for evidence-based threads in the bugs forum. We're checking these things out internally of course, but it always helps to get hold of your examples (and we don't particularly want to clog up this thread with hundreds of individual conversations).

RE: INJURY PROBLEMS

Hi everyone.

If you are having these injury problems, please create a post in the bugs forum and give as much tactical information as you can. If there is an issue with certain tactics skewing the injury numbers, the only way we'll be able to find out and get it fixed is if people give SI examples of it happening.

This is the professional way of working, not focusing on a single report but trying to grab the big picture.

I encourage players to report the effect not only about a single match but about a bounch of matches where stats count more.

Please players, try to see the game not comparing it to the previous pre patch version but as a honest review like it was the first time you play it.

Thx

So picture this On release of the BETA version of FM13 I started my career with southampton and made one signing that first season nathan dyer from swansea.

Was very impressed by the new match engine through balls were working well and crosses even better. Lallana ramirez mayuka and dyer taking teams apart with there pace. Managed to finish 8th was quite pleased.

Then the full game was released and the glitches were stopped (winger to winger goals etc) few tweaks to the tactic and managed to finish 6th on my 2nd season. Thus qualifying for Europa league. Ramirez attracting alot of interest from the manchester clubs. Southampton in dreamland.

Now with the latest patch dyer, lallana and ramirez do not make near on any attempt to get forward no matter how attacking I set them. closest they get is about 40 yards from goal and then they just pass it to my CMs. Ramirez is now so useless ive had to swap him for a DM.

Defending has improved significantly but my attack is now non existant. Have stopped playing this save now because quite frankly ive put alot of time to the game and now its boardering on a waste of time.

Is anyone else having this sort of problem?

In my game there were a few teams with 15+ injuries 2 months after the start of the first seasons, 2 months later there are even more teams with that many injuries

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/331086-Unrealistic-injury-rate

What was the injury rate when you only counted the first team and not the reserves and youth teams?

Injury crisis does happen in the game either through bad luck, bad tactics, bad training, bad staff members or a combination of some or all of those factors

I'm using wide midfielders (either fullbacks or wingers that I've retrained) in the ML and MR position. The only thing I've done to my tactics is set the philosophy to attacking, the passing to direct and set up a few of the player roles.

CD defend

BPD cover

CD defend

Anchor

Wide Midfielder support

Central Midfielder attack

Box to Box support

Wide Midfielder support

Poacher

Deep Lying Forward attack

Haha :lol: I have quite same formation like you (expect some roles are different) and it is work well pre- and after patch as well

What was the injury rate when you only counted the first team and not the reserves and youth teams?

Injury crisis does happen in the game either through bad luck, bad tactics, bad training, bad staff members or a combination of some or all of those factors

Most have around 10-8 in the first team, we are talking about premier division teams here, including Manchester city, I would think they start with decent staff/managing. Also injury crisis can happen to a team but when it happens to a bunch of teams, then I would think it is most probably caused by wrong numbers in the injury rate chances.

This is you playing the engine, not the game. You might well find it easier to get results in certain MEs by playing different formations, but that does not mean the formation you have discarded cannot do equally well if it it structurally sound. My point is that if you have a solid grasp of the logic of football and know how to interpret it into the TC and shouts, then you can get any formation working reasonably successfully in any ME. If you don't, then you will obviously drift towards formations you feel work better.

By that reasoning, any way of tweaking your tactic to improve the way it plays is "playing the engine", including using shouts to respond to feedback from the ME during the game.

Let's say your goal is a tactic similar to how Manchester United usually plays. How do you represent that in the game? You could reasonably go with a 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-2-2-2, 4-2-3-1, or even one out of many possible asymmetric variations. So let's say you start off with a 4-4-2, but find that the second striker is playing too high up the pitch, and not assisting the midfield enough, so you go to a 4-4-1-1 instead. Is that "playing the engine"? If you play a 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-2-2 and notice that advanced wingers don't contribute enough to the defense, and move them back a strata, is that "playing the engine"?

Tinkering with your tactics to make it work the way you want it to is a big part of the game. If you reduce that to 5 minutes in the TC, and ignore the feedback you are getting from the 3D representation, then you are basically removing a huge part of the game.

GK: SWK/A

DCL: DC/X

DCC: BPD/C

DCR: DC/X

DMC: DLP/S

MCL: MC/A

MCC: BWM/D

MCR: AP/S

AMC: TQ/A

AML: IF/S

AMR: IF/A

Strategy: Counter

Philosophy: Rigid

That doesn't quite appear to match the tactics used in, let's say, this game. I agree that moving your wide strikers to AML/AMR probably would be a good idea (as in "necessary to make it work"), but the midfield is clearly a diamond: Fabregas as a #10, making tons of forward runs, Thiago and Iniesta as shuttlers (definitely no BWM/D), and Keita holding (DM/D?).

All well and good, but I haven't had to change a thing and my results haven't altered at all. 4-4-2 in every match I've played in FM13 thus far.

The coders are obviously going to pay more attention to making sure that a bog standard 4-4-2 works adequately, than the more uncommon systems. If that is all you play, how can you even comment on the viability of the more unorthodox formations?

I agree with wwfan. If your tactics are good, you can make a lot of formations reasonably successful. That's the whole point of FM as a simulation. And it's certainly my experience. Why? Partly because the players on the pitch are more important that the formation. It doesn't really matter what the devs are paying attention to. They are not going to make a game where only one or two formations work. So something that is obvious to you is not so obvious to me. I've had success with 4-4-2 Flat, 4-4-2 Diamond, 5-4-1, and some success with 4-3-3 so far. There are many others that could work if you know what you're doing and you have the players for it.

Not sure if anyone else is seeing this but on through balls into the box, I'm finding my striker is consistently trying to go right THROUGH the keeper before he attempts a shot. He'll be one on one but won't attempt the shot until he tries to dribble past. And like I said, it's not really trying to round the keeper as much as it is trying to go through him. Seen it happen three times in four matches already.

And I`m in agreement with many others in that injuries seem to be out of control in the new update.

Edit: Just had it happen again, this time with Cazorla from the wing. Clear one on one and wouldn`t attempt the shot. Slowly plodding towards the keeper and eventually caught from behind when he was essentially right on top of the keeper.

Can someone help me stop my Keeper from being a total idiot? It's my biggest problem now that the closing down has been fixed. He's acting as a sweeper when i haven't instructed this, at all. He keeps coming out at least 20+ yards from goal to collect balls he doesn't need to, then he just aimlessly punts them up the pitch while i have an empty goal. It's just cost me my last game, what should've been a comfertable win ended 2-2, 2 shots 2 goals both directly from this. First one he runs away to the wing and punts the ball up the pitch, straight to the opposition and he just kicked the ball into the empty net. Then an opposition defender clears the ball straight up the pitch, going off for a goal kick to me, when my GK runs 25 yards to head it off for a corner! Obviously they scored from this corner, which was also the last kick of the ball. Doing my head in.

He's just on default GK defend duty.

I agree with wwfan. If your tactics are good, you can make a lot of formations reasonably successful. That's the whole point of FM as a simulation. And it's certainly my experience. Why? Partly because the players on the pitch are more important that the formation. It doesn't really matter what the devs are paying attention to. They are not going to make a game where only one or two formations work. So something that is obvious to you is not so obvious to me. I've had success with 4-4-2 Flat, 4-4-2 Diamond, 5-4-1, and some success with 4-3-3 so far. There are many others that could work if you know what you're doing and you have the players for it.

I'd also throw in both 4-2-3-1 wides, 3-4-2-1, and just testing Barca's 3-4-3 shape, early indications look excellent.

Can someone help me stop my Keeper from being a total idiot? It's my biggest problem now that the closing down has been fixed. He's acting as a sweeper when i haven't instructed this, at all. He keeps coming out at least 20+ yards from goal to collect balls he doesn't need to, then he just aimlessly punts them up the pitch while i have an empty goal. It's just cost me my last game, what should've been a comfertable win ended 2-2, 2 shots 2 goals both directly from this. First one he runs away to the wing and punts the ball up the pitch, straight to the opposition and he just kicked the ball into the empty net. Then an opposition defender clears the ball straight up the pitch, going off for a goal kick to me, when my GK runs 25 yards to head it off for a corner! Obviously they scored from this corner, which was also the last kick of the ball. Doing my head in.

He's just on default GK defend duty.

Any chance you could upload a video?

Biggus, you have a horrible talent at taking what someone says and taking it to mean whatever you decide...

I never once said you couldn't play tika taka in previous versions...

It's always the same applies to the sentence before it.... play to your strengths.. it's always been the way you should play the game. Just because you could exploit the ME into making eleven 18 stone nutters from doncaster play like xavi, doesn't mean you should have, I'd want to play to their strengths... it's always been the same.

This is absolutely correct in my opinion, this new update to the match engine seems to have, in my opinion, made the tactics and player instructions etc, etc even more important than they've ever been in other versions of FM. At last I have finally got players who at least try to play how I'm telling them to play! If your old tactics are no longer working with this new update just try changing things around a bit instead of moaning about the update, it seems to suit some tactics better than others but generally speaking I find this update has made my save very much more playable and enjoyable. I'm not adverse to throwing out criticism and rants at SI when I'm not happy with things, so credit where it's due here, the new update has made a whole lot more things happen for me in my save and I say 'nice one SI' this is now a great game to play.

Yeah the Injuries need a quick hot patch me thinks its unplayable atm for me. Before my players would get 1-2 injuries a month most 8-12 days sort of things and only get 3-4 hard injuries a season with the squad. Since patch I had like half of team injured most of the season and its just impossible injuries to people who don't have a history. One match got 4 injuries in the match it seems like the ME patch has turned AI into nutters and added a new kind of tackle strength Kill !

Also tho may I point out don't change the ME to much beyond this point unless you really feel it is needed because I find apart from the injuries this is very classy ME and feels tons better so far then FM2012 just needs polish me thinks. :thup:

EDIT: also in regards to the injuries (trying to think of all the info to help as much as I can) They seem to be ME related as in most of the injuries are happening in matches. But I would also suggest tuning down a little training injuries because they seem a little to freq(In regards to players injuring other players).

I am sure if you started a game in the office and played for 30 mins you see it with your own eyes.

Yes agree with this point too ball is hard to see I think its because the pitch is a little more brighter or something !

Really? I'll have to look into that next time I play. Ironically, I just, for the first time ever, realized that I could actually distinguish the black parts of the ball from the white parts. The ball can't be that small if I can do that?

Yes agree with this point too ball is hard to see I think its because the pitch is a little more brighter or something !

Maybe a option to use a red/orange snow ball? I know there was a skin to do this for 12 but dont know if anyone have done one for 13 so far.

Archived