Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

stupid question.. I set mine up by going into the tactics screen... which one am I using? Ive never heard of this old classic tactics and the tactics creator.

Go to the tactics screen. On the left is your list of formations. Click on the name of your formation and there'll be a drop-down menu with an option to Open the Tactic Creator

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
with great respect, I really don't like this (old) business model. It's time to change it.

Yeah... so old.... you wouldn't find the biggest games company in the world...say.... EA maybe.... and a 100 others follow the same type of model and be top of their respective fields would you....

So because you dont like it, you expect an entire company to change the way they work to suit what you want?

Buy a £30 game and think you can run the company, astounding.

astounding is the way you communicate with humans.

I'm free to say what i think in reply to a post as you are free to go buy £30 game.

I'm still on FM12 because the actual business model tell me so: 10E on summer sale (at the end of beta testing...).

Regardless of your views on the model, this is quite a naive comment. All computer games companies are out to make money, it is part of being a company. In the process of making their money SI listen to/care about their customers a hell of a lot than others in the industry. anyone who bought a chEAp football add-on this summer will know what I mean

Its also a bad business model to release such a poor game as it is , Would of been better to release a new me next year when they had the bad programming sorted out better . This year should of been refinements and database updates to give themselves more time with a new ME.

But then again we all paid them good money to become beta testers for next years game so maybe its a good business model .

I continue to thoroughly enjoy the process. It is my observation that some users are extremely precious about their perceived tactical knowledge. However it is their lack of personal responsibility for their failure to adapt to next generation of the game's match engine that is preventing them from overcoming this. It is evidently revealing itself in the form of anger and blame at SI, who may I say once again have produced a wonderful product and I thank them very much for their craft. The latest patch is another of an endless set of examples of their high scoring work rate, if you will.

Football Manager has evolved even more into a considered manager's game, where in depth contemplation is required (increased realism) and I certainly welcome this development. Thank you SI.

Its also a bad business model to release such a poor game as it is , Would of been better to release a new me next year when they had the bad programming sorted out better . This year should of been refinements and database updates to give themselves more time with a new ME.

But then again we all paid them good money to become beta testers for next years game so maybe its a good business model .

It isn't bad though, because they have sold truckloads. Next year they will sell truckloads again. Think how many people bought the game, and then think how few people are on here ranting as a percentage of that number. Just because there are people on here, by my estimates far short of 50% of the commentors, who aren't happy, that doesn't have any real impact on future sales. Don't confuse your opinion of disatisfaction as one with any great value than that of one person amongst hundreds of thousands. Sales high = good business model.

Tactics take far too long to create, check, revise and implement... until you get it right. Ive NEVER been able to get a decent tactic created off my own back, its just way to frustrating. Its part of the game yes but some of us just like to plug and play (hence while we download decent tactics). For someone who has been playing since CM1 I find the FM tactics a complete minefield to workout, you need a degree in football science to work out how it all fits. I physcially had a headache after reading Cleons guide to how it all works, no fault of his as im sure its a goodf guide but seriously... how many people going to read it and take it all in. you get ONE chink wrong in the tactic chain and the whole tactic comes crumbling down like a cheap pack of cards, it woul dbe ok if you could work out where you are going wrong but 9/10 I can never figure out why :(

The old days were far more appealing, kind of feel Fm is leaving us average players behind and catering for hardcores (and dont shoot me down with FMC because thats not what I mean). I still love to play, my appeal is in the transfer market and watching my youth go on a journey with me. I cant go down the tactic route as id give up the game in frustation and laptop would exit my house via the window :(

Just my two cents on the current state of game :)

with great respect, I really don't like this (old) business model. It's time to change it.

With all due respect, SI don't force you to buy their product. Just another example of that lack of personal responsibility I was talking about in my previous post.

Frankly, anyone who's attempting Tika Taka in the lower leagues deserve to fail...

Of course you can't replicate that style down there with those players.

Play to your strengths.. it's always been the same.

Question is, how do you stop them trying? ;)

Guess I have to go classic tactics again to be able to pump it more upfield as all I can do in TC mode is to ask them to go more direct, and it doesn't do much. They still just pass it around outside the box before attempting a longshot.

I get my Arsenal team to play well, but Sheffield Utd, no way. And they have great players for L1.

Frankly, anyone who's attempting Tika Taka in the lower leagues deserve to fail...

Of course you can't replicate that style down there with those players.

Play to your strengths.. it's always been the same.

Nope. It hasn't. ;)

If you have four slow, untechnical good-in-the-box strikers in your squad, do you play two Target Men/DLF in a 442? Do you drop deep to counter? Is it a sound strategy to press high up and play directly in order to have your two strikers get the ball in the box as much as possible?

The answer to those questions, according to all of you know-hows in here, is of course -no-. You need A) a sound strategy; a tactic that defends and attacks in many different and efficient ways, and then B) players that suits that system. In that order.

I played "tici taca" with Salisbury last week. Now they can't. It has not always been the same, that's just sheer nonsense.

Tactics take far too long to create, check, revise and implement... until you get it right. Ive NEVER been able to get a decent tactic created off my own back, its just way to frustrating. Its part of the game yes but some of us just like to plug and play (hence while we download decent tactics). For someone who has been playing since CM1 I find the FM tactics a complete minefield to workout, you need a degree in football science to work out how it all fits. I physcially had a headache after reading Cleons guide to how it all works, no fault of his as im sure its a goodf guide but seriously... how many people going to read it and take it all in. you get ONE chink wrong in the tactic chain and the whole tactic comes crumbling down like a cheap pack of cards, it woul dbe ok if you could work out where you are going wrong but 9/10 I can never figure out why :(

The old days we far more applealing, kind of feel Fm is leaving us average players behind and catering for hardcores (and dont shoot me down with FMc because thats not what I mean). I still love to play, my appeal is in the transfer market and watching my youth go on a journey with me. I cant go down the tactic route as id give up the game in frustation :(

Just my two cents on the current state of game :)

I think if we were still using the old slider system most of the hardcore players like me would have been happier, but explaining to someone that getting a deeplying forward to have 12 mentality, 15 closing down, 18 creative freedom, HUB, TTB often, RFD mixed (these are all wrong btw) would have been more challenging, cos rationalizing the difference btwn 10 -12 on a slider is way way more ludicrous than just assigning roles.

And btw understand just what your side can and cant do, if you do opt to use tiki taka football you can even do it in NL football, my stafford save is a good illustration, I have gone from tiki taka football and Jose Mourinho brutal 1-0 tactics to "punt the ball and hope to god your winger is faster" strategies. Try and do all this on the old system..i challenge ya!

You mean like Half Life 2 that defintely had no bugs on release....oh wait.

milner... wtf. I don't know how much time u spend on steam (to play FM) but u are going in the wrong direction if u think that Valve means HL2.

Let's say more in general "source engine" because the list of games is very long, and basically now we are talking about FM's business model.

It would be interesting a new business model in which some parts of FM are constantly developed (mainly match engine) and some parts are downloadable contents (FM seasons, scenarios, small leagues databases, ...).

The result for sure will be a community 3 times greater than DOTA2 http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?snr=1_4_4__10

I think if we were still using the old slider system most of the hardcore players like me would have been happier, but explaining to someone that getting a deeplying forward to have 12 mentality, 15 closing down, 18 creative freedom, HUB, TTB often, RFD mixed (these are all wrong btw) would have been more challenging, cos rationalizing the difference btwn 10 -12 on a slider is way way more ludicrous than just assigning roles.

And btw understand just what your side can and cant do, if you do opt to use tiki taka football you can even do it in NL football, my stafford save is a good illustration, I have gone from tiki taka football and Jose Mourinho brutal 1-0 tactics to "punt the ball and hope to god your winger is faster" strategies. Try and do all this on the old system..i challenge ya!

Aye kind of agree, but most of the time it worked for you (with old school sliders). Ive tried to build 6 different tactics since BETA and each time Ive massively failed. At least the sliders gave me a uncomplicated all in one view, i could see it all there infront of me. Now its just too many elements to keep tabs on.

If I was a noob, created numerous tactics all to fail then soon or later your going to put your hand through the screen and give up playing, never to return. From a fun point of view each year I get less out of FM due to the frustation of tactic building.

I'm trying (but failing) to upload a PKM for the bugs section, but it's all too confusing and quite frankly i don't have a clue how to do it, can anyone offer any help on how to upload the PKM, i've downloaded the FZ thing but that's when it all gets confusing, i feel a right doughnut asking tbh so any help is appreciated.

With all due respect, SI don't force you to buy their product. Just another example of that lack of personal responsibility I was talking about in my previous post.

This point is irrelevant. Just because somebody has not forced you to buy a product it doesn't mean that once you discover it's inadequate you have to keep quiet about it. If I buy a chocolate ice-cream and it turns out to be a turd in a cone I will not be satisfied with "well, you didn't have to buy it". I am not suggesting FM13 is that bad but simply pointing out the principal of such a transaction and how unsatisfactory such a response would be.

Nope. It hasn't. ;)

If you have four slow, untechnical good-in-the-box strikers in your squad, do you play two Target Men/DLF in a 442? Do you drop deep to counter? Is it a sound strategy to press high up and play directly in order to have your two strikers get the ball in the box as much as possible?

The answer to those questions, according to all of you know-hows in here, is of course -no-. You need A) a sound strategy; a tactic that defends and attacks in many different and efficient ways, and then B) players that suits that system. In that order.

I played "tici taca" with Salisbury last week. Now they can't. It has not always been the same, that's just sheer nonsense.

Biggus, you have a horrible talent at taking what someone says and taking it to mean whatever you decide...

I never once said you couldn't play tika taka in previous versions...

It's always the same applies to the sentence before it.... play to your strengths.. it's always been the way you should play the game. Just because you could exploit the ME into making eleven 18 stone nutters from doncaster play like xavi, doesn't mean you should have, I'd want to play to their strengths... it's always been the same.

Anyone? I got missed...

woah. A lot of tactical discussion to digest. I've been holding off playing and reading some of the hints and tips in here, noting where required.

I know it's not a tactical forum, but since everyone is talking tactics, wwfan you suggest you play with a DLF and Poacher. Out of interest, would it matter which side they played, i.e., would you play your right footed poacher on the left to enable him to react to through balls down the middle better and not be on his weaker foot? The DLF on the right as he will have time to drop deeper and shift it to his better foot.

Also, with an Poacher A and DLF S role. Would you encourage wingers on the respective sides to have a specific mentality? For example, if you set up with the Poacher on the left, would you encourage a left winger to be supporting deeper or attacking? Same applies to the DLF?

Defending has improved a bit but a lot of attacking play is still weird and feels pretty random. Strikers in a good position to run at goal still seem to have second thoughts way to often and wait patiently for the defenders to get back into position before trying anything. FB passing is still total hit and miss even with passing options close by. Gonna give some more detailed feedback once I'm back home but the few games I got in yesterday still felt pretty bad.

This point is irrelevant. Just because somebody has not forced you to buy a product it doesn't mean that once you discover it's inadequate you have to keep quiet about it. If I buy a chocolate ice-cream and it turns out to be a turd in a cone I will not be satisfied with "well, you didn't have to buy it". I am not suggesting FM13 is that bad but simply pointing out the principal of such a transaction and how unsatisfactory such a response would be.

This would be relevant if it was the product itself he had issue with... it's not... it's apparently the business model SI use, and have used for the last 10+ years.. and he still buys the game..

Anyone? I got missed...

The first question I can answer I think - if he gets the through ball so that he is on the right side of the penalty mark when shooting with his right, he is less likely to be closed down off his best foot. If he gets the through ball so that he is on the left side of the penalty mark when right-footed, he is already closed down off his best foot - unless he comes from the left. In other words, it depends on how wide you play, how wide the opposition team plays (i.e the angle of approach), where your most creative passers are most of the time and how deep the opposition is defending. Your tactic should create all types of through balls for the poacher, so it doesn't really matter which side he is on when it comes to finishing. If you want him to cross to your DLF as well, it might be an idea to have him "same-footed". Try letting them swap positions during the match.

The injuries are becoming a worry,the long term injuries are bad enough,I just lost 1 of my star players for 6 months with a broken foot,in the same game I ended up finishing with 10 men as 2 guys had also picked up knocks and had to be replaced.

The next game my right back was injured early on and is now out for 2 months,again in the same game I finished with 10 men as other players picking up knocks.

As I said the long term injuries are bad enough,maybe part and parcel of the game I know but the sheer amount of players needing to be replaced every game because of knocks basically means my subs are no longer for strategy but are requirements for the injuries you know you are going to get.

I am on the whole very happy with the improvements made to the ME and if the knocks could be toned down a bit it would be very enjoyable.

Anyone feels like there are few shots in this update? I just finished a match with 4 shots, and the opposition made 1.

I have had a couple,1 match the first half highlights was basically the kick off :p

I really don't mind though,I much prefer it to watching my team have some 30 shots at goal every other game.

In an ideal world it would be a bit higher but it is tricky for the SI team to judge,maybe in the next update they will make it that little bit higher.

I would urge everybody that complains about this game to read wwfan's posts about creating tactics. It seems to me that far too many people try a tactic, they lose, so they change it instead of developing a tactic that makes sense (both in your head tactically, and complements your players), and TWEAK it during a game with shouts, opposition instructions and changing player roles.

Anyone feels like there are few shots in this update? I just finished a match with 4 shots, and the opposition made 1.

We know there are, we were told there would be, there'll be some adjustment in future if it's too low (which it does appear to be)

I would urge everybody that complains about this game to read wwfan's posts about creating tactics. It seems to me that far too many people try a tactic, they lose, so they change it instead of developing a tactic that makes sense (both in your head tactically, and complements your players), and TWEAK it during a game with shouts, opposition instructions and changing player roles.

Its not tactics for mine. Its all the stupid things that happen ingame , Keepers watching loose balls in the 6 yard box and not going for them .

Defenders bumping into keepers all the time .

Keepers letting crosses from the byline go past them at waist height and 2 yards away from them only for the opposition strikier on the far post getting an easy tap in.

Wingers with a truckload of space not running with the ball .

Keepers cant play out from the back .

Players in general have such limited vision they cant see open players right next to them .

Excessive through balls to no one.

Gun ai keepers that can pinpoint a player while under pressure from 40 yards away or its like a rugby match with passes back to the keeper who hoofs it long goes out of bounds just for my keeper to do the same.

Countless times players run under the keeper kicks and let it bounce for it to go out of bounds or to the other keeper.

Thats isn't tactics that is bad ME .

Defenders bumping into keepers all the time .

Wingers with a truckload of space not running with the ball .

Keepers cant play out from the back .

Players in general have such limited vision they cant see open players right next to them .

Countless times players run under the keeper kicks and let it bounce for it to go out of bounds or to the other keeper. .

These are the main ones for me, now ive had a good amount of time on updated ME. What im also finding hugely annoying is the players letting the ball go out of play (which seems to take an eternity if you build each time up over the game), Its MASSIVLEY exaggerated in the latest ME, to the point of annoying

My team is using 442 in blue square league.

philosophy: rigid

strategy: counter

Passing: Short

Creativity: More disciplined

Closing down: Stand off

Crossing: Float Crosses

Roaming: Stick to position

2 wins out of 2 so far with. I used it with the old update and did quite well but then after so long i have to change. I haven`t really changed the player settings. just full backs set as support and my ML and MR set as defensive wingers. Midfield also close down now.

The one thing that does annoy me though is the money my players ask for. One of my players who is 19 wants £1200 a week and £800 appearance fee. I don`t know what players in blue square league are on but surely its not that. Just bought a player from man u and he`s on £2100. It would be good if i could explain the reason why i can`t give them what they want.

One thing i do like is being able to train your players for certain positions. Most of my players are very young and it says for PA that they will reach league one and two standard. A couple also will reach championship but i suppose that will depend on my coaches who ain`t great but the fact that they can improve is good.

This is a neutral review of the new patch. A 10 game new save with Zenit. I created the tactics myself as opposed to normally seeking advice on forums! I'm using a 4-5-1 with wingers as suggested in game with fluid and control - seems to really suit the players I have. So:

match 1: I suffered a long term injury to star midfielder. drew game 1-1 at home after having twice as many chances as the lowly opposition

match 2: Away against a team called Terek. 2-2 They had 4 shots on goal, I had 21

match 3: home to Anji. we had 20 shots, they had 2. battered them, and we won 2-1 with a last minute fluke goal.

match 4: smashed L moscow away 1-4

At this point I'm thinking the tactics have bed in. I'm on a run. Is this finally working?

match 5: 1 injury long term. 1 own goal. won 3-2 away at spartak moscow. was 3-0 up.

match 6: drew 1-1 at home against the bottom team. terrible performance. No idea why.

match 7: 1 own goal. won 4-2

match 8: cup game. 1 long term injury. 1 own goal.won 3-1

match 9: Champions League. Galatassaray home. 0-0 2 long term injuries to key players

match 10: Rubin away. Lost 2-0. My team is now decimated by injuries and therefore being dominated.

-I didn't include knocks and replacements as there were too many to list.

-One clean sheet in 10 games with very good defenders.

-Horrific injury list so long that I can only muster 4 players on the bench for game 10.

-Realistic yes. Fun to play? Hmmm. I sit 5th in the league with the board not particularly happy.

Long time lurker, long time player here.

Defending has certainly improved with the new update. Far less brainf@rts causing goals (for or against)!! I'm still conceding a few stupid goals, usually early in games. Defence shape will be good and they usually deal with attacks well. They mess up once and I concede - that's football.

That leads me to the big problem I have:the low number of chances being created.

If you go down early in the game, the chances of you getting an equaliser or coming back to win it are remote. Obviously the same applies if your team score early. The fact that the low number of shots is pre-programmed (as per PaulC's OP), there is little or nothing that can be done tactically to turn a game around.

would be nice if somebody who really understands shouts could make a little guide about various shout combinations for different scenarios.

I have had a couple,1 match the first half highlights was basically the kick off :p

I really don't mind though,I much prefer it to watching my team have some 30 shots at goal every other game.

In an ideal world it would be a bit higher but it is tricky for the SI team to judge,maybe in the next update they will make it that little bit higher.

I think there is a bit of a problem with how the highlights are constructed atm. With this new 'less action filled' ME it really seems quite difficult to get any sort of grasp of what's going on without watching full matches. Even on comprehensive the matches seem to fly by and it refuses to show any build up play without a sure conclusion. I find it really difficult to change things if I don't know what's happening and why my team have only managed to get 2 shots in 60 minutes of play despite great looking possession stats :(

Definitely prefer too few shots to too many though.

I, for one, am happy and excited about the new changes, but they have caused my team to play in a much different way than I first expected. Before, out of my base 4-4-2, my ML winger was set for Attack which caused him to run at the defense and stretch them before passing back to the edge of the box to my MC Advanced Playmaker (who ran the whole show in the final third with 13 assists in the first 35 games). From there he picked his passes between the two strikers up top and was easily averaging 3 through balls a game. My MR winger was set for support, as I found this increased the amount of crossing he did and he took less chances with long range shots and cutting away from the touchline toward the inside. My MR winger had just 7 assists in 35 games and 0 goals, generally just taking up space on the edge as even on defense, he only averaged 2.4 tackles per game and won less than 50% of those. As a team, my crosses were connecting for just 15.24%. Goalscoring wise, both my starting strikers and my back up striker were knocking in goals left and right, with 41 goals in 35 games between them.

Since the patch, my winger has suddenly figured out how to hit a cross right where he wants, pressing all the way to the byline and drilling my strikers so hard they have no choice but to knock it in. In the next 20 games since the patch (16 appearances in total), he now has 10 assists. As a Support winger, he's averaging 5.5 tackles a game (winning 58% of those challenges) My ML winger with the attacking duty has been on the end of two of those crosses and has now scored 7 goals in those same 20 games (also 16 appearances). Defensively, I expect nothing from him and that's all I get with his duty, except his obligatory yellow card each match. Sadly, with the increase in the number of assists and the dominance of my wingers on the outsides, my MC has almost completely vanished. He has had just 2 assists in 16 appearances and his throughballs now go to the first striker who passes on to the second striker to go for goal. This hasn't decreased the number of goals, just the effectiveness of his role in the 4-2-2. Now he's more of a holding midfielder to help facilitate passing along the edge of the box higher up the pitch than my ACTUAL ball-winning midfielder.

In the end, my team is still flying high in first place of the Championship while still using the same tactics as before the patch without any tweaks other than using shouts for specific situations. While shots on goal are definitely down (533 in 35 games as opposed to 138 in the last 20 games after the patch), the clear cut chances have remained the same and my team seems more patient to avoid the long shots like the tactics I had created were designed to do. Even with the huge gap in shots, the percentage I have on target are very close both pre and post patch. I haven't noticed my defense leaking any goals more than they used to, either. The improved defensive positioning and pressure are only going to help me refine my tactics to close down tighter on opponents as I try to position myself comfortably in the Premier League. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the changes and excited to see my taxes not launching themselves through the roof next season so I can make a little bit of a profit at the club for once.

Trying a tactic out in one game, failing, then scrapping it, has -never- been a sensible approach regardless of TC or Classic.

It is also completely pointless to start every game with the same basic tactic that is in need of extensive, often repeated, tweaking regardless of what the opponent does or how good they are. The tactic you create from scratch must be designed to let your players create a variety of different chances; like through balls, crosses, counter-attacks, patient attacks, one-twos, deep runs from the midfield, wide defenders/midfielders on overlap, corners, free-kicks (indirect and direct) and winning challenges on long balls upfield. It must also be able to defend against the forementioned variety of attacks.

The design must therefore include at least one link between defense and midfield and at least one link between midfield and attack. It must rely on more than one chance creator and more than one finisher. It must be able to pass at the moment of the first forward run when possession is gained, and it must be able to retain possession the next moment if that pass is not possible. Thus, there must be a variation of mentalities and forward runs. The width must be wide enough to allow the wide players an option to intercept opposition wide players without leaving wide gaps between themselves and the central defenders/midfielders. At the same time it must be narrow enough to not leave wide gaps between each defender. The defensive line must be high enough to not create big gaps between strata, but not so high that any pass or clearance is a through ball. The Tempo/Passing must be quick/direct enough that your players sometimes choose to pass up front to the first forward run one of your forwards make, but it must not be so quick/direct that they don't also sometimes choose to bring the rest of the team with them forward instead - the clue is that one decision is always the correct one in that specific situation and your players should make that decision and not the other one.

Archived