Genie Scout has ruined my FM

As the title says, Genie scout has completely taken all the enjoyment out of the game for me now. I wish none of these scout and editing programs had been made.

Basically, I now play FM and try to play it without Genie but still end up signing the same old players that I know are highly rated in Genie. I wish that the actual scouts in the game were good enough, and/or I was better at the game.

Dont really know where this is going, but basically, I know hate Genie scout and cant wait to play FM2009 and never use genie with it. Hopefully i'll enjoy it more again.

So there!

I think the scouts in FM are pretty good, they have regularly been able to find me potential wonderkids for my team.

On the odd occasion that I've signed a player who my scouts raved about only to sell him thinking he wasn't that good, they have gone on to become fantastic players, proving me wrong and the scouts right.

If anything I would say that the scouts on FM08 are too good.

But is it really fun doing it like that?? Surely it is far more fun winning with an average team using your own tactics rather than just getting all the best players using Genie etc

Doing it the Genie way, I can last maybe half a season at best.

them why did you use the Genie Scout?

I would agree Daf.

Also, Until recently, I was very confused about the * rating, and the level the stars represented. I was under the impression that unless you had a squad made largely of 6* / 7* players, you couldn't win. But I was mistaken. I often shunned 4* / 5* players suggested from my scouts, when in reality, they were just as good as many other players in the league.

I now understand that 6*/7* are game changers. Your C. Ronaldo's / Cesc Fabregas / Lionel Messi's of the world. Then you've got 5* players who are solid players. First team regulars, and will perform consistently.

Then theres the 4* Squad rotation players, the 3* back up players and the 2* / 1* pointless players. This has revolutionized the approach I've taken to FM in the last few days, and is making my experience a lot better.

im not sure genie scout is cheating as such. its quicker and goves you a little insite into players. looking around the world for players takes hours and hours. iv had a pre season take a complete sunday over 12 hours solid. i used genie scout and cant say i made many signings.

if i had enless amounts of money. and was at one of the top clubs with big rating then there would be no use for genie cos you can see who are the worlds best players. its when your on the verge of relegation from the prem or getting promoted to the prem..

my supporters are unhappy with my transfer acitivity this season any way.

iv got a bog standerd team with danny haynes as my main striker. and iv hammerd spurs 5-0 and liverpool 6-1 at home this year, and even though half the world wants my stars i cant find any that will join who are better.

I had a regen striker called matt smith arrive this year. he's touted the nest M.Owen, i dont need any genie scout to check him out.

Genie is cheating. It gives you access to data you shouldn't have in game.

I don't care how anyone plays the game though. I have some games where I use it and some more serious games where I don't use it because I see it as cheating.

Spudgun - you could adopt the LLaMa approach, basically: start a new game in which you never sign a player whom you have signed in a previous save-game either for FM'08 or any previous version.

It'll get you out of the "familiar".

Then rely on your scouts - and as NepentheZ said, approach 4-* players as "Reasonable starters / rotational players" for your current level.

I use it, but I know what the OP means. It can ruin the fun, and is very much a Pandora's Box: very hard to just use it a 'little'. But I try to do that. I use it to clear my u18s of dead weight for one thing. I could manually watch each player and take notes and follow their progress, and achieve the same thing, but I'd rather focus on other things with my time. Of course the problem is that if I ever get a truly exceptional player I'll know it too early this way, but I figure that the chances are very slim at my club (poor youth system).

Some games I use it for scouting. Some games not, but I must say that the scouting in FM08 is very much better. Its really good, and if you use it effectively is really rewarding too as you've had to pay attention and not just read names off a list.

But Genie is fantastic for testing things with the game, and that's a really fun way to play the game: as a sandbox.

I don't use Genie, but do use FMM on occasions, but only to check up things like my reputation, and club's finances. I want to know if i'll have a decent budget before declaring an interest in a job and getting sacked.

I've also used FMM to change my age.

Genie also ruined one of my games. I wasn't able to do a signing, or a scouting a player without using it, it was stronger than me, and took off all the fun from the game, as i've a youth squad full of 180+ PA's and a very strong first team.

So when i gave format my hard drive (not because genie :D), started a new career at italy, and now i'm happy to be an ex-cheater on his way to rehab, doing signings only using my scouts reports.

there are pros and cons and i think its each to there own. i have no preferance, but id rather not use it allthough i have.

When you first load the game in, if you start with a super power. ie 1 of the big 4 from any rich league, obviously we all know who the best player in the world are irl..

If you have a large bank balance thats as much less fun as it is using genie starting with a skint club..

or some people start like loads of different games over time. they know who all the best players are and they sign them. thats almost a cheat in it's self..

IRl managers can't turn back time and sell or resign different players etc.. Like an idiot when i started my game i had the FOG box ticked so i cant see alot of players stats.

Id suggest the following using the DDT editor. customise which teams you want to have full squads. and dont tick the fog box.

if your a tactical genius and win win win!!! then there is no point using genie, if your not v -good with tactics even buying some small players using genie doesnt benifit you that greatly..

People oftern complain about the realism of the game and low teams beating premier teams in the cups etc, if it's realism you like id say dont use any form of editors or genie..

But it is all each to there own so happy managing. :)

My name is Barry, and I too, am a Genie-aholic.:(

With FM07 I downloaded it thinking 'I won't look at anything which I can't see in the game already, I will just use it to compare potential signings more easily.' But before I knew it I was just checking a potential young signings PA, or a potential new keepers consistency, or looking at all my strikers 'important match' rating to see who would be better for a big cup game...

It's really easy to get a bit caught up in it, as it brings success, but eventually I just stopped enjoying the game as I wasn't really making many actual decisions myself.

I am pleased to say that I am now on the straight and narrow, so to speak, and although I do occasionally get the temptation to download it and see which of my youth team players are going to make it, or look up a players 'sale price', I am able to resist as it's a thousand times more enjoyable finding out the hard way, even if I do get it wrong most of the time. :D

Thanks for listening. Barry

using genie is pretty much cheating as going to the good players threads and read the info in there, even though genie gives more info about players ,when you go to those threads u are using other ppl info and not something you scouted inside game...

and thank god they made that program because without most of high PA regens would had retired at age of 20 because i couldn't find them and neither could the AI, so i use genie to scout them and then put them on prefered list and then AI will bid for them and they will not retire.

I have never used as I know what I am like. At first it will be just to look at things for interest sake. Then it would build until all I was doing was using Genie Scout for everything. It would end up ruining my enjoyment. There is nothing better than getting that random player your scout has found and him turning into a legend for your club, Genie would ruin that for me.

Well I dont use it either. Never have, never will now. It took me a little while to get used to the attributes the match engine favors, but after I did the scouting was an excellent part of the game IMHO. Training and loans will determine wether he will make it.

I have admitidly thought about ti from tiime to time. But when you run all leagues from every country all playable. Your options are limitless. Also I manage seven teams currently in the one save. So if anything thats how im cheating.

Masses of knowledge base. Love the long term game. Kick on lads. Awesome game!! Best ever(just needs better CUL, bit predictable currently.)

One thing I can suggest for people that have that syndrome where they are at a team like Arsenal, and need a striker and think 'Hey I know, what about Aguero, he turns out great' or need a Goalkeeper and think 'Lloris turns out pretty good', then how about trying playing the game without 'Real Players' in an 'Un-Real' world, you don't know who's great on the game, and therefore can't cheat and have to work things out for yourself.

Archived