Different estimated game speed while being on the same laptop?

I notice that everytime I load up a game, my laptop gives a different rate of the estimated game speed and computer preformances. This is very strange cause I am constately on the same laptop with no programs running in the background. I have 8GB primary storage, what should be more then enough to load up a game with 65.000 to 70.000 players and still have 1.5 or 2 stars of estimated game speed. Sometimes FM does gives this rate, but on other times it only gives 0.5 star of estimated game speed. Also it rates my laptop preformances the one time at 3.5 star, and the other time at 5 stars.

How can this differ everytime so much? Cause I also do have the feeling that it has effect on my game speed. And while being on the same laptop with the exact same specifications, this shouldn't be an issue imo. It's like one time FM only senses 70% of my laptops power, and the other it notices the fully 100% of capibility.

What do I need to make sure FM notices every time the full power index of my laptop, and why do the estimated preformance date differ all the time?

Don't pay too much attention to the star rating in terms of going up and down.

It takes a snap shot of your system upon loading and makes a quick calculation on the estimated game speed. But as you correctly thought, it depends on what your computer is doing at the time, whether you have things running, whether the laptop has just switched on, whether it's downloading updates etc.

The general advice is, take it as an indicator, but take it with a pinch of salt.

• 5 months later...

*kick*

I noticed that FM 13 is now only giving 0,5 star for 'computer performances' .. and loading a game of 65,000 player which normally takes about 15 minutes now takes over 2 hours. Funny enough all other programs/games I have are working fine and without any problems.

What do I need to do to let FM run as fast as before again? I find this problem very odd. There are no issues, other programs are working fine and without difficulties and yet FM is running slow as if my laptop only has 1 GB of primary storage. It's like FM refuses to use the full power of the laptop.

- I already did a reboot

- Deleted all the files in the roaming map and in the end I decided to do a full reinstall but nothing seems to help

One thing I've found out when found when having that many players loaded is if your shortlist, player search list, whatever player list you might have, have many extra rows. I've found this could slow up my game.

So if whatever player list you have contains extra rows like contract details, scouting details, players details and such try to remove those, so it goes back to the basic number of rows.

That's all the ideas I have...

Nope, nothing of that seems to work. Well, thanks for the ideas anyway. No more FM for me I guess. The game just refuses to use the full power of my laptop anymore, and that way it will go so slow that playing is useless. Strangest thing ever happend to me in playing years of CM and FM. What a bummer :(

Have you tried a program called game-booster? it temporarily shuts down lots of non-essential things to help your computer focus on the game.

I guess general computing advice like defragging your computer and deleting unused programs/files.

My hard drive (or is it an SSD? can't remember) is about 400GB. When there is less than 100GB spare my computer slows to a crawl, when there is more than 150GB free it works fine. I have been told this defies any logic of computing but that is how it works.

Make sure you've closed all your external applications too My computer, with firefox & and Steam running only gives a start rating of two and a half, but without it gives 4 stars.

How do you play FM with steam closed? Doesn't it tell you to close FM first?

Cleaned my whole laptop yesterday, FM seems to be running now again, still the one star issue appears and yes it still goes a little bit slower than it used to be, but ok, at least it is working again. Game loading now takes about 30 mins which is ok by me.

Thanks for all the help and advice here :)

Have you tried a program called game-booster? it temporarily shuts down lots of non-essential things to help your computer focus on the game.

I guess general computing advice like defragging your computer and deleting unused programs/files.

My hard drive (or is it an SSD? can't remember) is about 400GB. When there is less than 100GB spare my computer slows to a crawl, when there is more than 150GB free it works fine. I have been told this defies any logic of computing but that is how it works.

How do you play FM with steam closed? Doesn't it tell you to close FM first?

I imagine it's probably just minimised, which means it isn't really closed. Like you say, you can't. Not sure what happens if you force close Stream though - would FM go with it? If you do it through the usual channels then you can't certainly.

I imagine it's probably just minimised, which means it isn't really closed. Like you say, you can't. Not sure what happens if you force close Stream though - would FM go with it? If you do it through the usual channels then you can't certainly.

I think I've tried it and it just opened up the box in FM that nomrally comes up when you try to quit FM.

I agree with you that the poster probably just closed the visibly open steam window and was unaware it was still running in the background.

Well, I really give up now. Again FM goes way to slow to have a proper game. Even loading the tactics screen before a match takes about three minutes. Clueless, just clueless, I have no idea anymore what it could possibly be that it is so hard for FM to work properly, I updated even all my drivers. Darn :( :(

5168592f7f934-image.png

5168593b14fd7-image2.png

It does sound like there might be a problem with your laptop, do you play other games cpu/ram intensive games on it without issue? Is there anything else loading your cpu when you open task manager?

It might be worth paying to get the lappy inspected by a professional.

Archived