It causes attributes to drop...

Not really it doesn't that's a bit of an exaggeration. You can get them back up in a matter of days and its not actual attribute drops you see its the 000.1's etc. However tactic familiarity takes a lot longer. If you do it the way I mentioned you'd be fully fluid before the first game of the season.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really it doesn't that's a bit of an exaggeration. You can get them back up in a matter of days and its not actual attribute drops you see its the 000.1's etc. However tactic familiarity takes a lot longer. If you do it the way I mentioned you'd be fully fluid before the first game of the season.

Yea red arrows then :p not the same as attribute drops I know. I did what I said and was -nearly- fully fluid before the first league match as well. Enough that it shouldn't matter. And no red arrows.

I was playing a flat back 4 but injuries forced me into a back 3 and i'm completely converted.

I'm just wondering if there's a rule of thumb when facing different formations when it comes to setting up the back 3 roles wise. I currently use a CD© flanked by CD(X) on either side. Is this the right approach for all strike forces or would it be better to do something different depending on what i'm facing. Maybe even use a sweeper at times?

After my pres season worries about my wingers being too far forward and having no cover down the wings, I dropped them both back to the centre line and put them on attack. The result is that both of them both regularly hit the line and get crosses in, and also track back, which is reducing the amount of crosses going in to my back post, which was the major issue.

2gxiwx5.png

I don't wat to go jinxing it, but after 4 seasons of struggling to stay in League 1, it looks like Ive finally found the right formation to suit my players.

Here's my results so far, in November.

e84bjo.png

And the league table

3325kpt.png

The football Ive ben playing has been great too, the best Ive seen on this FM. All the front 5 interchange great, using one two's and feeding it don the line, then getting the return ball in and tapping home for a lot of the goals. I stil concede obviously, and the majority do come when they manage to get down the wing and get a cross in, but Ive manage to stem it enough to make sure Im usually outscoring teams. Really happy with the way this tactic is working out. Its not a super tactic where Im smashing teams week in week out, but its night and day to the previous seasons. And I think as my youngsters get better and better its looking good for the future.

All I use now across all my saves is a 352 or a 3142 if we are labelling each incarnation correctly I guess. This is the only formation I use and currently use it with Palmeiras, Sheffield FC, Sheffield United, Paysandu, Newcastle and Gateshead. Below is how it looked at the beginning;

17568844.png

The back 3 change all the time in terms of what kind of roles/duties they have. Majority of the time I use the outer ones as Stoppers and the central one as a cover. The game the screenshot was took from though I didn't play that way as I didn't need to. But most of the time its like I described.

But then I bought a few young defenders who were 15 (on my Brazilian Saves) and I'm training them to play the Libero. So I play like this;

81473966.png

I'm also developing a certain type of AMC/Striker and when they all have the correct PPM's I'll be switching yet again to a strikerless one that looks like this;

52374822.png

I really struggle against the box midfield on my Paysandu save. I signed some decent players (all free transfers) but Remo always seemed to spoil my day. I control the games possesion wise, i just cant seem to get close enough because of the midfield.

I really struggle against the box midfield on my Paysandu save. I signed some decent players (all free transfers) but Remo always seemed to spoil my day. I control the games possesion wise, i just cant seem to get close enough because of the midfield.

You play as Paysandu? I took them from 3rd division to Copa Lib winners :)

Depending on how you play, against the box midfield just exploit the wings and you should destroy it more often than not because they have no natural cover on the wings.

yeah i love the wealth of talent in Brazil and was gutted the lower leagues aren't an option. Ive started a new save after the recent updatem and do exploit the wings but my wing backs are a little poor. im thinking of pushing them up into defensive wingers. ive signed two wingbacks who i think could make the move. Ive signed Ze Rololpho for the left hand side on a freebie.

what level should the important attributes be at for a third division player be at. Ze Rodolpho has a crossed ability of 13, is that enough?

and why do you always pull Cruzeiro in the 2nd round of the cup?:(

I have been using a 3142 for a while now, but I had a little difficulty against bigger teams that play advanced wingers (amr and aml). A few people on here have said about specific man marking the wingers to solve the problem. Who do they use to man mark the wingers, is it your own defensive wingers or is it the outer centre halves? I would have thought that if its the centre halves it may leave the middle exposed, but at the same time by marking them using the defensive wingers, they would then drop deep and would effectively turn into wing backs? Hope someone can help!

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but post-patch my 3-defender setup has gotten much more defensively sound. Defenders seem to deal with crosses much better.

Yup I have the best defensive record in the EPL.

swqQSjs.png?1

I'm using Cleon's 3-5-2 setup, but I tweaked it a bit.

N8cPvhq.png?1

nqggM55.jpg?1

What shouts are you generally using with your Arsenal team?

How is your possesion in general looking? And how do you deal with the wingback "run from deep" I often feel like they just stand too high on the pitch not being for passes.

All I use now across all my saves is a 352 or a 3142 if we are labelling each incarnation correctly I guess. This is the only formation I use and currently use it with Palmeiras, Sheffield FC, Sheffield United, Paysandu, Newcastle and Gateshead. Below is how it looked at the beginning;

17568844.png

The back 3 change all the time in terms of what kind of roles/duties they have. Majority of the time I use the outer ones as Stoppers and the central one as a cover. The game the screenshot was took from though I didn't play that way as I didn't need to. But most of the time its like I described.

But then I bought a few young defenders who were 15 (on my Brazilian Saves) and I'm training them to play the Libero. So I play like this;

81473966.png

I'm also developing a certain type of AMC/Striker and when they all have the correct PPM's I'll be switching yet again to a strikerless one that looks like this;

52374822.png

What combination of shouts do you use for this formation when playing in Brazil?

Im now officially a 352 man. Has taken me on a massive season, where I was tipped to be relegated from League One, to winning the league on the last day. Looking forward to trying it out in the Championship.

n2c214.png

Heres the shouts I had been using along with the tactic I had posted earlier.

2czvinm.png

29cm5w8.png

Well, I have a huge problem. I'm currently managing Oxford City, and are now in the Blue Square Premier. I have a very good team for the level and would be dominating the league, if it weren't for one extremely frustrating detail: we struggle like crazy when facing the 4-1-2-2-1 (which most of the top teams in the division use). Against 4-4-2s I have an outstanding record with mostly wins and a 3-1 goal ratio, but against 4-1-2-2-1s I have conceeded more goals than I've scored.

I use a bog-standard 3-5-2 as follows:

oxford352.png

And against 4-4-2 I usually go with the shouts: play out of defense, work ball into box, play wider and exploit the middle. The result is often that my CMs and STs have oceans of space in front of the opponents DCs, and what keeps the scoreline down is usually my strikers inability to score. :)

Against 4-1-2-2-1 I've tried anything I've been able to come up with, but I haven't really gotten anything to work.

In defense I struggle to put them under sufficient pressure (while still maintaining some stability), and they often end up passing the ball around for ages unopposed. Especially the DM and FBs are troublesome. In offence, my players struggle to find space.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'd be happy to provide more details, but I don't have time right now.

The 41221 is really a 451. It is a defensively very sound tactic. I would either OI their DMC max (all set to always + hard) or set the DLF to specifically man-mark him, or both. That tends to break up their passing triangles. Also, OI max their wingers, so that your MC's help your WB more.

As for how to create chances against such a defensive tactic I think being patient is very important. Use the width and perhaps set both your MC's to Attack duties so that random stuff happens more often in their box.

I have been using a 3142 for a while now, but I had a little difficulty against bigger teams that play advanced wingers (amr and aml). A few people on here have said about specific man marking the wingers to solve the problem. Who do they use to man mark the wingers, is it your own defensive wingers or is it the outer centre halves? I would have thought that if its the centre halves it may leave the middle exposed, but at the same time by marking them using the defensive wingers, they would then drop deep and would effectively turn into wing backs? Hope someone can help!

Any advice on the above? I'm trying a 352 and getting good possession and goal chances but I am getting suckered down the wings everytime.

ST ST

ML MC MC MR

DM

DC DC DC

GK

Outside DC's are set to close down while the middle is on cover but they seem to take an age to close down the advancing wingers, the wide midfielders track but always lose them

Any help ?

The 41221 is really a 451. It is a defensively very sound tactic. I would either OI their DMC max (all set to always + hard) or set the DLF to specifically man-mark him, or both. That tends to break up their passing triangles. Also, OI max their wingers, so that your MC's help your WB more.

As for how to create chances against such a defensive tactic I think being patient is very important. Use the width and perhaps set both your MC's to Attack duties so that random stuff happens more often in their box.

Thanks for the input m8. I ended up doing the following changes, and the results have been promising:

OIs:

DL/DR close down always, show on weaker foot

AML/AMR tigh mark and close down always, show on weaker foot

DMC tigh mark and close down always, show on weaker foot + specifically marked by DLF

Shouts: work ball into box, play out of defense, play narrower, push higher up

The last couple of games against the 4-1-2-2-1 formation have been a lot better with my team putting enough preasure on the opposition, while still maintaining decent shape. They've also been able to produce a lot more chances, and interestingly most chances have been through the middle, whereas my previous attempts at combatting the formation usually were based on exploiting the flanks... Maybe it's because the "play narrower" shout means my midfield pushes up past the MCs?

I've just started using a 3-1-4-1-1 (3-6-1 if you like) in an effort to fight off relegation, the first result being a 2-2 draw at home against city's narrow 4-2-3-1 so it's showing signs of promise. Loving the formation so far.

Anyone having trouble down the wings, just get your MR/ML to man mark their wingers and it shows a massive improvement straight away. Obviously your ML and MR have to have decent marking, work rate, teamwork etc. But by and large it seems to make more defensively sound.

17568844.png

81473966.png

Setup a very similar formation to this last night and it really did work wonders for me. Main differences were that I used DW's with Support duties and I used a AMC-STC rather than 2ST's. Switched to two strikers after about 60 minutes and it did improve but Im going to try and work off using the AMC-ST rather than 2 up top. I also use counter to try and make things more slow and patient with an very high line.

Seems a really solid formation, Ill be moving between this and a more standard 4-1-2-1-2 depending on the opposition setup. If the opposition used 2 strikers Ill use the 3 at the back formation, if they have 1 striker Ill use the standard back four.

Never ceases to make me chuckle when Agger pops up on the edge of the box and plays a defence splitting through ball, they seem to have improved the attacking nature of the Liberio on this years game.

watching football often have the side effect that it put a lot of ideas in once head, things I want to try on fm, and seeing that we have a new coach irl, it was back to the drawing board and time to make a new tactic, scraping the old 3-5-2 with inconsistent attacking play for a new approach

this is the basic shape I ended up with:

roma352_zpsd6ac0db6.png

How did it pan out?
4 wins in 4 games so far, thought only the CL game against Atletico could be regarded as a proper test, won that match 4-2
Are you using any shouts?
nope
I'd suspect you will be over-run on wings wouldnt you?
only let in 2 goals from open play, one of them after one of my defenders missed a simple header (the other goals being a free kick, a penno and a corner scramble) so as of yet its not a massive problem
Anyone having trouble down the wings, just get your MR/ML to man mark their wingers and it shows a massive improvement straight away. Obviously your ML and MR have to have decent marking, work rate, teamwork etc. But by and large it seems to make more defensively sound.

Or just play with wing backs.

I don't understand why so many people play with DW and WM out wide when 90% of teams playing with 3 at the back use wing backs.

I don't understand why so many people play with DW and WM out wide when 90% of teams playing with 3 at the back use wing backs.

I completely agree with this :) Wing Backs are better defensively and still get forward just as well

Wingbacks just don't attack properly though or defend correct. It's much more effective to use a ML/MR because if you get them to mark the oppositions wide players you don't lose anything and it means you are better defensively and attacking. Try it and you can see the flaws with the wingbacks. Wingbacks are poor in FM13 and I can't understand why someone would choose them over a DW or a WM who can do the exact same job as the wingback and do it a thousand times better.

Wingbacks just don't attack properly though or defend correct. It's much more effective to use a ML/MR because if you get them to mark the oppositions wide players you don't lose anything and it means you are better defensively and attacking. Try it and you can see the flaws with the wingbacks. Wingbacks are poor in FM13 and I can't understand why someone would choose them over a DW or a WM who can do the exact same job as the wingback and do it a thousand times better.

Ive never properly tried them to be honest, Ill have a go tonight and see what it looks like :). Ive always just thought that a wingback would be better defensively as they sit further back.

Ive never properly tried them to be honest, Ill have a go tonight and see what it looks like :). Ive always just thought that a wingback would be better defensively as they sit further back.

I've never tried moving them up to MR/ML either (they have no experience of playing there and I don't feel like retraining four of my players mid-season), but I imagine they will defend a little bit higher than when playing as wingbacks. As it is now, my players defend in a flat 5-3 formation and the wingbacks often stay much deeper than the opposition wingers. In the MR/ML strata I imagine they will be in a better position to pick up the opposition wingers immidiately, thus minimizing the risk of getting skinned when closing them down.

Will probably try it next season, if I don't like the look of the new tactic I've designed (which uses neither wingbacks nor wide midfielders).

I've never tried moving them up to MR/ML either (they have no experience of playing there and I don't feel like retraining four of my players mid-season), but I imagine they will defend a little bit higher than when playing as wingbacks. As it is now, my players defend in a flat 5-3 formation and the wingbacks often stay much deeper than the opposition wingers. In the MR/ML strata I imagine they will be in a better position to pick up the opposition wingers immidiately, thus minimizing the risk of getting skinned when closing them down.

Will probably try it next season, if I don't like the look of the new tactic I've designed (which uses neither wingbacks nor wide midfielders).

I actually tried DW's last night and I do have to say Cleon is right (unusual I know ;-)). Using DW's instead of wingbacks is much stronger going back and going forward, a key point I have found though is that if the opposition uses aml/r its vital you set man marking instruction, that way they drop back and cover better.

At first I started with a support duty but even with an attacking duty they defend well, much better thanks Cleon :-)

I find wing backs fine tbh. If I'm playing with 1 player on both flanks then I'm going to want them to preform 2 roles. That of a winger and a fullback which the WB role does.

Going off real life they all use wing backs with back 3s.

Although yeah it's about what works best in the game aswell.

Recently came back to FM after a couple of months out, but struggled to get back into anything so downloaded one of the 'Tycoon' saves posted on the forum for some fun. Decided to go for the Inter Milan save, with the idea in my mind of shaping a first XI into an attacking, fast paced 3-5-2 - and so far I'm having the most fun in a save in a long while.

That's probably down to the fact I've near, or as near as you can get flicked a 'win' switch in the game, and spend obscene millions on players - but after all that was my intent in the first place, a short term fling at a Tycoon save!

I took control on the save just before the first January window opened, in 2013. Inter were sitting around 6th if I recall, with Juventus already so far away out in the lead. This would be my first adventures in Italy in all my time playing Football Manager. This year, since the updates in the games ME that see a back three a lot more viable I've wanted to manage in Italy as you are more often than not up against similar systems that you can match up against with much great ease and effectiveness, than say my previous experiences in England, where by 18 out of the 19 teams in the Premier League will be playing a winger high up the pitch.

Anyway I digress, I took control at Inter, with money to burn, and a system in mind that I was intended to fill with played that shall compliment each other and the greater team. The basics of the approach I wanted to take was one of fast paced football, quick in attack, clinical on the break, and hard pressing without the ball. That would therefore not lend itself to many played in the side I would take over, meaning as you would expect a drastic overhaul of the playing personnel right away.

3-5-2 (3CB - 2DM - 2DW - 1TQ - 2ST)

Goalkeeper

Samir Handanovic Nothing changed just yet.

Defenders

Raphael Varane - Walter Samuel/De Rossi - Inigo Martinez

Brought in the two young players, Varane and Martinez, both very good passers after first and foremost being great defenders. Samuel will play as a sweeper, he was fantastic there in the second half of my first season, but do intend to upgrade if I can to a quicker player, and a possible suitor to a libero role. I had brought in De Rossi to balance my midfield, that would allow one of the two holding players to break forward, but I've so far found him to be brilliant at playing at the center of the back three - as he did in last summers Euros for Italy, having his passing tweaked, and starting my attacks with many raking balls out to my wingers.

Martinez will always play to the left, being left footed, I've noticed this makes it so much easier playing from the back, as it's just so much more natural for him to play to the left midfielder - something that I now noticed I wasn't doing with previous uses of a back three. Likewise with Varane to the right.

Midfield

Lahm - Wilshere - Moutinho - Bale

Moutinho is fairly self evident, a wonderful passer of the ball from deep, coupled with defensive awareness - he is deputised by Marco Veratti. To start with I paired him at DM with Veratti, but I would then use Cambiasso as an anchor to allow Moutinho to move forward into forward areas. That worked much better, and was the reason I wanted to bring in De Rossi. But as I've taken to playing De Rossi at center back, I have Wilshere whom I allow free reign to get forward and run with the ball from deep, with Moutinho holding.

To start with I had the veteran Zanetti playing on the right side as a DW(s), with Alaba from Bayern on the left playing the same role. I love the idea of a player like Alaba, someone who I like to think of as a box-to-box wide man. For this season I needed to first and foremost improve my right side as Zanetti was not good enough. I struggled to find a right sided-Alaba, with no winger having the necessary attributes that I would take to make them viable as a box-to-box wide player, ones that you would take as a trade of for tradiotional full back skills as tackling, marking, so things like work-rate, aggression, positioning. Therefore I went for as good as a right back as I could find in Phillip Lahm.

The opportunity was there to bring in Gareth Bale, so I took it. Alaba had been great on the left side, but is now understudy to Bale in the majority of games, but his adaptability across positions will be valuable in a small squad. Bale, as you'd imagine, is incredible on the left side - he has an ability I didn't notice with Alaba to just take the side 50 yards up the pitch - full backs will sit off him, and he will run and run.

Attack

Sneijder - Cavani - Falcao TQ, DLF(A), PO

Not on the updated database, so Sneijder was still around! He would be joined by Cavani, and Falcao, with Lacine Traore, and Coutinho in support. As I said at the start, I was more or less able to start with a black canvas and cherry pick the players to fit into my side - and this was the first place I started. Falcao would spearhead the tridente, with Cavani in support playing as a DLF(A) and Sneijder behind as a Treq.

Short of having Messi and Ronaldo together in FM12, this is my favorite attack I've built. When I see Falcao finish moves created by the other two, or move into space created by Cavani's movement it's brilliant. Having offensive movement from my two deep lying midfielders is also great, as Sneijder's role sees him sometimes pick the ball up of the back line it vacates space for Wilshere and Moutinho to advance into. More often that not Sneijder and Wilshere will interchange space high up the field by their tactical set-up and their respective ppms, but Moutinho can pop up in space deeper due to his set-up and ppms and will further add to the fluidity of the midfield three that then moves into the front three.

Just dipped my toes into my first 3-5-2 and absolutely love it!! 3 defenders, 2 wingbacks, 2 central mids, 1 AM and 2 forwards. The AM is a joy to behold, I play him as a Treq. I always played 4-2-3-1 but your limited with the central pair in my opinion, but with this formation you can pull defenders all over the place with the midfield and feel safer with whats behind them.

Interesting reading in here. The only time I've tried a back 3 I realized pretty quickly it's useless against wide players but I suppose if you man mark the wingers that would help but isn't there still a problem if an oppo full back pushes forward and creates a 2 v 1 on you on the wing? How is that stopped? Or are you just relying on defending the cross well enough?

Interesting reading in here. The only time I've tried a back 3 I realized pretty quickly it's useless against wide players but I suppose if you man mark the wingers that would help but isn't there still a problem if an oppo full back pushes forward and creates a 2 v 1 on you on the wing? How is that stopped? Or are you just relying on defending the cross well enough?

Why does it have to be stopped? I want teams to push their fullbacks forward against my three man defense! Sometimes it's OK to accept you have a weakness, but your opponent leaves a weakness to exploit it. If they push the fullbacks forward in a 4 man defense they're only leaving 2 men back. A break against two defenders is far more likely to score than a cross (even worst case you have two center backs to cover it, assuming the third comes out to help cover the 2 on 1 but doesn't get there in time to stop the cross).

Why does it have to be stopped? I want teams to push their fullbacks forward against my three man defense! Sometimes it's OK to accept you have a weakness, but your opponent leaves a weakness to exploit it. If they push the fullbacks forward in a 4 man defense they're only leaving 2 men back. A break against two defenders is far more likely to score than a cross (even worst case you have two center backs to cover it, assuming the third comes out to help cover the 2 on 1 but doesn't get there in time to stop the cross).

I suppose I never thought of it like that. I'm always thinking more about stopping them scoring than creating attacks of my own and that's perhaps my downfall. But saying that I'm not entirely comfortable in me being that exposed in those areas. I'd much rather let their free man be a centre back on the half way line than a full back getting in a crossing position.

Have many people tried the reverse of what the trend seems to be, as in change it from 3-1-4-2 to 3-4-1-2 over long-term in their games?

Ive been using a 3-4-2-1 with Napoli with some success. its early days yet but Ive found as long as the two MC's have a Defend duty it is still quite defensively solid. Setup is basically:

GK:Sweeper Keeper Attack

SWC: Liberio Attack

DC's: Central Defender Defend

ML/R: Defensive Winger Attack

MC's: Deep Lying Playmaker Defend

AMCL: Inside forward Attack

AMCR: Attacking Midfielder Support

STC: Advanced Forward Attack

Quite high tempo and direct, as I said its pretty impressive. Although against teams like Juve and AC I switched to a more conventional 3-1-4-2 for that extra bit of defensive support.

Cleon, would you mind expanding on which PPM's you were/are training onto what type of AMC/FC?

The discussion in this thread of moving your wing backs to defensive midfielders has already got my pumped to play tonight, but now very interested in how you prep your AMC/FCs for a striker-less set up

Ive been using a 3-4-2-1 with Napoli with some success. its early days yet but Ive found as long as the two MC's have a Defend duty it is still quite defensively solid. Setup is basically:

GK:Sweeper Keeper Attack

SWC: Liberio Attack

DC's: Central Defender Defend

ML/R: Defensive Winger Attack

MC's: Deep Lying Playmaker Defend

AMCL: Inside forward Attack

AMCR: Attacking Midfielder Support

STC: Advanced Forward Attack

Quite high tempo and direct, as I said its pretty impressive. Although against teams like Juve and AC I switched to a more conventional 3-1-4-2 for that extra bit of defensive support.

Attacking and balanced? Or is it control/balanced?

I'm surprised to see so many people playing with an advanced forward or poacher in a 3-5-2. I started out with an advanced forward, but the lack of attacking midfielders and wingers caused him to be isolated and have only 1-2 shots per game. Playing with two complete forwards (one on support and one on attack) ensures both strikers participate in the build-up play. The obvious downside is that I don't have someone who guarantees goals. I'm also playing control/rigid/short passing, so it must be possible to create more chances for my AF, I just don't see how.

[RESIZE=400]tacticsb.jpg[/RESIZE]

Has anyone who's been using a defensive diamond with a dip or defensive mid and a libero accompanying the two centre backs had any issues with the libero and defensive mid getting in each others way? When I set my holding mid to a dip, he sat in the hole just like I imagined but when the libero had the ball and moved forwards with the ball, he got to the dlp area and then played passes from there so they ended up sort of both standing in the same place, has anyone got any tips with how to stop this?

Has anyone who's been using a defensive diamond with a dip or defensive mid and a libero accompanying the two centre backs had any issues with the libero and defensive mid getting in each others way? When I set my holding mid to a dip, he sat in the hole just like I imagined but when the libero had the ball and moved forwards with the ball, he got to the dlp area and then played passes from there so they ended up sort of both standing in the same place, has anyone got any tips with how to stop this?

If your using a Libero I wouldnt bother with a DM. I use it to great effect in my Napoli save and have posted an article about it on my blog :) have a read and id be happy to answer any questions