Get Smart-no!

Jason the Yank

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really unlucky in the Euro cup there, pretty gutting. I know how it feels to lose in the early stages of the Euro cup :D. The clubs progressing nicely though and the friendly win over Vitesse is a good sign for the season ahead, just need to make sure your players dont get complacent next time your winning!

Really unlucky in the Euro cup there, pretty gutting. I know how it feels to lose in the early stages of the Euro cup :D. The clubs progressing nicely though and the friendly win over Vitesse is a good sign for the season ahead, just need to make sure your players dont get complacent next time your winning!

Yeah, I've got bigger clubs sniffing around my players now.

Doxa Drama in the Greek Superleague are tracking Lenosek, Maribor are interested in Hankic and Perger, and Domzale are tracking another three (off the top of my head, since I'm not at my computer, it's Bizjak, the right-back Ziga Cimpric and backup midfielder Denis Nikolic).

I'd consider selling Hankic to Maribor at a fair price (he's on the wrong side of 30 now, but has a valuation of $130,000; he is the vice-captain, but Kotnik is a guy I think can be the next captain. His influence rating is something like 17, so I'd definitely make him the new vice-captain if that opens up. And *maybe* I'd sell Lenosek to the Greeks (Dmytro Medvid is my first choice for the lone forward spot when healthy, and I just feel like I couldn't block such an opportunity for Lenosek to go to a bigger league) and Nikolic (though I just started retraining him to play AMR) to Domzale. But Perger, Bizjak and Cimpric are all U25 players I can continue building the team with.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Grofje strike lucky

NK Celje 4-1 NK Smartno 1928 (First League)

NK Smartno 1928 will be wondering what might have been this morning after a close encounter with Celje turned into a 4-1 victory for their opponents. A brace from Blaz Vrhovec helped Celje to victory.

Centre-back Bostjan Bizjak suffered the ignominy of scoring a calamitous own goal in the 3rd minute. Experienced midfielder Marko Kolsi doubled NK Celje's lead with a well struck effort from 21 metres on 14 minutes.

Vrhovec scored with a poorly struck effort from inside the penalty area in the 29th minute to extend the lead further. Vrhovec added his 2nd goal of the game with a well timed finish from close range on 48 minutes.

Striker Matevz Lenosek pulled one back for NK Smartno 1928 after 75 minutes with a deftly executed finish which found its target via the post. NK Celje also saw their 77th minute strike questionably chalked off.

Player of the Match: Blaz Vrhovec (Celje)

Attendance: 828

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Smartno 1928 cruise to 4-1 victory

NK Smartno 1928 4-1 NK Domzale (First League)

A deserved 4-1 win for NK Smartno 1928 over NK Domzale this evening was greeted with delight by the victorious team's fans and players alike. A brace from Matevz Lenosek helped Smartno 1928 to victory.

Things did not get off to a good start for NK Domzale as striker Matevz Lenosek seized on an error by Tadej Rems to score a well timed close range finish. Experienced centre-back Enver Hankic doubled NK Smartno 1928's lead with a well timed close range finish on 9 minutes.

Hankic added his 2nd goal of the game with a fine header from point-blank range on 30 minutes. Striker Ljubisa Suhac pulled one back for NK Domzale after 39 minutes with a real poacher's effort from 18 metres.

Lenosek completed the rout on 67 minutes with a weak close range effort.

Player of the Match: Enver Hankic (Smartno 1928)

Attendance: 1,928

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Smartno 1928 announce season ticket sales

NK Smartno 1928 have announced the final sales figures for season tickets.

The ticket office has confirmed that the club have sold 741 season tickets for this season.

The sales have remained around the same level as last season, when the club sold a total of 730 season tickets.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Smartno 1928 take their chances

NK Krka Novo Mesto 1-4 NK Smartno (First League)

NK Krka Novo Mesto succumbed to a 4-1 loss in this evening's Slovenian First League clash at Portoval. A brace from Alen Kozar helped Smartno 1928 to victory.

Krka captain Dejan Burgar gave NK Krka Novo Mesto the lead with a tap-in in the 17th minute. Midfielder Alen Kozar then equalised for NK Smartno 1928 in the 27th minute with a well executed finish.

Lenosek scored from the penalty spot after Vuckic gave away a penalty. Kozar added his 2nd goal of the game with an accurate finish on 79 minutes.

Midfielder Jure Suman completed the rout with a close range finish which was timed impeccably on 87 minutes.

Player of the Match: Alen Kozar (Smartno 1928)

Attendance: 4,532

Sunday, August 6, 2017

Superior finishing provides cutting edge for Smartno 1928

NK Smartno 1928 3-1 NK Olimpija Ljubljana (First League)

NK Olimpija Ljubljana succumbed to a 3-1 loss in this afternoon's Slovenian First League clash at Smartno.

Midfielder Dino Hotic got NK Smartno 1928 off to a flyer by scoring a simple finish from close in on 4 minutes. An error from NK Olimpija Ljubljana's Elvis Dzafic allowed experienced centre-back Enver Hankic to score a close range header. Lenosek scored with a well timed finish from close range in the 28th minute to extend the lead further.

Experienced midfielder Matej Perosa pulled one back for NK Olimpija Ljubljana after 78 minutes with a free kick from the edge of the area.

Player of the Match: Enver Hankic (Smartno 1928)

Attendance: 1,955

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Smartno 1928 hold onto draw

NK Smartno 1928 0-0 NK Rudar Velenje (First League)

NK Smartno 1928 will have been the happier of the sides after a 0-0 draw on a warm summer's afternoon at Smartno.

Young winger Klemen Pavel's red card for a vicious foul on 12 minutes put NK Smartno 1928's position under question.

Both teams had a number of attempts at goal, which promised much, but the quality of finishing was poor throughout.

Player of the Match: Tadej Pusovnik (Smartno 1928)

Attendance: 1,928

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Smartno 1928 in good display against Aluminij

NK Aluminij Kidricevo 1-0 NK Smartno 1928 (First League)

Smartno 1928's match against Aluminij will have been a moment Smartno 1928's Sasa Zupancic will want to forget as he suffered defeat at the hands of his former club.

Young midfielder Mitja Jogan gave NK Aluminij Kidricevo the lead with a nice effort from 14 metres in the 39th minute.

Both teams had a number of attempts at goal, which promised much, but the quality of finishing was poor throughout.

Player of the Match: Marko Rojc (Aluminij)

Attendance: 2,475

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Unexpected Tolmin victory in penalty adventure

NK Tolmin 1-1 NK Smartno 1928 (Slovenian Cup 1st Rnd)

(Tolmin won 5-4 on penalties)

A potentially serious injury suffered by Smartno 1928's Jure Suman overshadowed events on what was a warm summer's afternoon at Bradja.

With the game nearing an end, it was Valentin Mrak who scored a well struck effort to give NK Tolmin the lead on 100 minutes. With NK Tolmin already beginning to celebrate, striker Dmytro Medvid then scored a well executed finish in extra-time to snatch the equaliser for NK Smartno 1928.

In the shootout that followed it was left to experienced centre-back Adis Osmanagic to keep a cool head and smash home the winning penalty for NK Tolmin.

Player of the Match: Denis Perger (Smartno 1928)

Attendance: 182

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Smartno 1928 defeated

NK Smartno 1928 0-1 NK Maribor (First League)

Smartno 1928's match against Maribor will have been a moment Smartno 1928's Ziga Vrabl will want to forget as he suffered defeat at the hands of his former club.

NK Maribor finally took the lead when Maribor captain Marcos Tavares scored a placed shot on 50 minutes.

Smartno 1928 had several clear cut chances but failed to make them count.

Player of the Match: Simon Krajnc (Maribor)

Attendance: 2,000

[b]Slovenia PrvaLiga (Through 7 of 36 rounds)[/b]
1. Celje	11 (+6)
2. Krka		11 (+2)
3. Maribor	11 (0)
4. SMARTNO 1928	10 (+3)
5. Olimpija	10 (0)
6. Mura 05	10 (-1)
7. Aluminij	10 (-7)
8. Domzale	9
-----------------------
9. Koper	8
-----------------------
10.Rudar Velen.	6

Consistently inconsistent, that's us. Fail to answer the bell for the start of the season, then start scoring goals for fun. The purple patch ends against Rudar Velenje when my inexperienced left-wing commits a two-footed tackle and sees a straight red in the 11th minute. Pulled everything back and we got out of it with a draw, but our attack is like night and day after that. Suddenly we can't buy a goal.

Crash out of the cup at the first hurdle for the 5th year in a row. :D Typical, in injury time a Tolmin player takes a shot in front of 3 of our players that deflects off them, right into the path of another Tolmin player sitting just inside the top corner of the penalty area who lashes it past our helpless goalkeeper. We completely boss that game otherwise (20 shots, 9 on target, 56% possession) but need a late equaliser to send it to penalties, where they save our third attempt whilst my goalkeeper doesn't get anywhere near Tolmin's attempts.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Planned training facilities work

Chairman Ludvik Golob is pleased to announce that plans are in place to upgrade the club's training facilities.

This is expected to cost in the region of $975,000.

The construction work will begin at the end of the season and is currently scheduled to be completed by 10/24/2018.

Managed to talk the board into improving our "fairly basic" facilities, after they initially knocked me back saying they were fine for a club of our level. I fully expect this to be canceled at the end of the season on the grounds that we don't have the money.

Summer transfer window roundup

IN

DC/DM - Abraham Frimpong (Loan, Napredak)

50% of wages, option to buy for Napredak's asking price of $60,000.

The 24-year-old Ghanaian was on the transfer list at his Serbian SuperLeague club. Was initially just looking for cover at centre-back, but this guy can step into the starting XI. Pacey, a hard-working team player who tackles and heads well. Not a lot of strength to him though, at 5'11" 149 lbs (67 kg). He's a natural central defender though and should shore up the backline.

AMC/M/AML-Klemen Pavel (Free, Triglav)

The 19-year-old was available on a pre-contract from Second League side Triglav. Good first touch and dribbling skill, influential player. All the coaches believe he has the potential to be a leading PrvaLiga attacking midfielder. Got himself sent off for a horror tackle already though.

DR-Andraz Hadzic (Out of contract)

Came up through the Koper system, but got only a handful of games with them. Went on loan to a lower-league side in 2015-16 and dominated for them with 7 goals and 4 assists in 35 appearances. A bit of a project, so we made him available for loan. Second League side Kalcer Radomlje came in for him.

ST-Uros March (Out of contract)

Got 20 games for Second League side Bela krajina before the age of 18. Turned 18 only this summer. Still pretty raw, so we made him available for loan. Austrian side FAL Linz decided to take him.

ST/AMRL Sasa Zupancic (Out of contract)

The 19-year-old came up with Aluminij, but got only 3 games with them. Coaches generally see him as a good PrvaLiga striker in the future. Kid is a model professional. Signed with us when we needed some cover on the wings, but I'd like to loan him out in the winter transfer window, because otherwise he'll be riding the bench here.

ST/AML Ziga Vrbal (Out of contract)

The 19-year-old is a product of Maribor's system but got only 1 substitute's appearance with them. My coaches see him as decent to good PrvaLiga striker in the future. A bit slow, but has a lot of flair to his game. Another one I hope to send on loan for playing time.

OUT

DR/DC - Ziga Cimpric ($14,000 up front, $30,000 over 18 months, Mura 05)

Valued at $26,000. Age 24, all but one coach seems him only as a Second League player.

Had been signed on a free in summer 2012 after release from Olimpija.

DC/SW - Valen Filipovic ($5,000 up front, $24,000 over 36 months. 20% of next sale, Domzale)

Coaches all rate him as a Second League player. Signed on a free in summer 2015 after one season with Aluminij. Valued at $28,000, we rejected Domzale's first two offers for being well below his valuation. Apparently they were desperate enough to come back again, and we were able to get a deal that was satisfactory.

DL/WBL/ML/AML Denis Topolovec (out of contract)

Now 33. A stopgap solution who could play everywhere down the left side. Didn't do badly for us in his one year here (4 goals and 2 assists in his 14(10) appearances). Still available on free transfer at the moment, if I feel I need a wise old man.

AMC/ST Szabolcs Banka (out of contract)

Paid $60,000 to acquire this guy from Hungary and it just didn't work out. Made 14 appearances in two seasons with us, getting all of 1 assist. Still out of contract. Two seasons here, but apparently didn't learn a word of Slovenian.

AMC/AMR Ziga Mrevlje (out of contract)

Had high hopes for this guy, but never locked down the AMR spot. Too slow to play on the wing, but I already have options in the hole. Spent five seasons with us, making 48 appearances, with 3 goals and 6 assists. Best season with us was 2013-14 in the Second League when he got 2 goals, 1 assist and a 7.03 rating in 10 appearances. Still out of contract.

DLC Haris Heljezovic (out of contract)

Another one I had hopes for but who didn't stick. Sent him on three loan spells and never impressed at any of them. Maribor have decided to take a chance on him, but he hasn't made an appearance with them.

ST Danijel Poplatnik (Loan, Sencur)

Signed with us last year on a free, and then scored 11 goals and 5 assists in 20 appearances at our feeder side Sostanj. We made him available for loan, and Third League side Sencur snapped him up. Very good mental stats, and pretty good physically. Needs to get better technically though. If he does, we could have a really good option up front.

ST Luka Ljublkankic (Loan, Illirska Bistrica)

Signed on a free last year, and scored 14 goals with 8 assists in 35 appearances at Sostanj. Sent to Illirska, who were just promoted to the Second League. Might be a struggle for him there. A project who could benefit for the boost in competition.

DR Andraz Hadzic (Loan, Kalcer Radomlje)

Signed and immediately loaned out. Before we sold Ziga Cimpric, he would only have been the 3rd choice at right back. Their training facilities are better than ours, so hopefully that will help.

ST Uros March (Loan, FAL Linz)

Signed an immediately loaned out to get some match action. A natural striker who doesn't have great finishing. Another project. Linz have "good" training facilities, much better than ours. So I'm hoping that will bring out some more talent from him, despite Linz playing in a youth league.

Biggest deal worldwide: Eduardo Vargas from Napoli to Spurs for $41M

Biggest deal in Slovenia: Koper sold ST/MR Matej Pucko to Wisla Krakow for $4.7M

Sunday, September 3, 2017

Smartno 1928 defeated

ND Mura 05 Murska Sobota 2-1 NK Smartno 1928 (First League)

Mura 05's match against Smartno 1928 will have been a meaningful one for Mura 05's Ziga Cimpric as he was able to celebrate victory over his former club.

Young midfielder Adnan Maucec gave ND Mura 05 Murska Sobota the lead with an incisive finish from 9 metres in the 27th minute. NK Smartno 1928's equaliser came through Klemen Pavel as he seized on Denis Kramar's mistake to score a deftly executed finish from close range. Centre-back Denis Kramar then clinched a late winner on 88 minutes with a close range finish which was timed impeccably.

Kramar's impact delighted the fans with his late goal.

Player of the Match: Milan Lukac (Mura 05)

Attendance: 3,215

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Smartno 1928 defeated

NK Smartno 2-3 FC Luka Koper (First League)

Koper continued their prolific campaign with a 3-2 win over Smartno 1928 at Smartno.

Striker Junior gave FC Luka Koper the lead with a close range finish which was timed impeccably in the 22nd minute. Midfielder Mitja Klopcic doubled FC Luka Koper's lead with a deftly executed finish on 41 minutes.

Goalkeeper Bosko Milenkovic added to an already bad day at the office for NK Smartno 1928 on 43 minutes when he managed to put the ball into his own net. Winger Tadej Kotnik pulled one back for NK Smartno 1928 after 61 minutes with a well timed close range finish.

NK Smartno 1928 were nearly gifted a goal on 72 minutes through Marko Pridigar's lapse in concentration but they failed to capitalise on the opportunity presented to them. Striker Dmytro Medvid gave the NK Smartno 1928 fans a glimmer of hope after 73 minutes with a powerful effort.

Klopcic then had a chance to score from the penalty spot on the 84 minute mark but missed his spot-kick.

Player of the Match: Junior (Koper)

Attendance: 1,899

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Domzale ease to victory

NK Domzale 2-0 NK Smartno 1928 (First League)

One of the league's worst defences put in one of their best performances of the season as Domzale defeated Smartno 1928 on a fine autumn afternoon at Sportni park.

Midfielder Damir Cehic gave NK Domzale the lead with a powerful effort in the 24th minute. With NK Smartno 1928 staring at defeat, there was controversy as centre-back Abraham Frimpong then had a penalty shout turned down,

An error from NK Smartno 1928's Alen Kozar allowed striker Srdjan Stanic to score an accurate finish.

Player of the Match: Darko Zec (Domzale)

Attendance: 1,207

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Superior finishing provides cutting edge for Smartno 1928

NK Smartno 1928 3-1 NK Celje (First League)

Goal-friendly Celje suffered a 3-1 defeat against Smartno 1928 on a fine autumn afternoon at Smartno.

NK Celje were nearly handed the lead in the 28th minute through Tadej Pusovnik's lapse in concentration but failed to capitalise. Striker Matevz Lenosek gave NK Smartno 1928 the lead with a fluke goal in the 31st minute.

Striker Iztok Mocivnik then equalised for NK Celje in the 36th minute with a weak close range effort. An error from NK Celje's Marjan Voros allowed striker Dmytro Medvid to score a finish tucked away with consummate ease. The last goal of the game came from midfielder Dejan Geric whose 87th minute own-goal will undoubtedly cause him some embarrassment.

Player of the Match: Matevz Lenosek (Smartno 1928)

Attendance: 1,911

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Smartno 1928 in good display against Knapi

NK Rudar Velenje 2-1 NK Smartno 1928 (First League)

One of the league's worst defences put in one of their best performances of the season as Rudar Velenje defeated Smartno 1928 on a fine autumn afternoon at Ob Jezeru.

Young striker Ikechukwu Ikechukwu gave NK Rudar Velenje the lead with a smart diving header from close range in the 72nd minute. Goalkeeper Tadej Pusovnik ensured things went from bad to worst for NK Smartno 1928 on 78 minutes with an embarrassing own-goal.

Smartno 1928 captain Matej Kolenc's 84th minute strike proved the only consolation for NK Smartno 1928.

Player of the Match: Ikechukwu Ikechukwu (Rudar Velenje)

Attendance: 1,342

[b]Slovenia PrvaLiga (through 12 of 36 rounds)[/b]
1. Krka		26 
2. Celje 	20 (+7)
3. Maribor*	20 (+2)
4. Olimipja	19
5. Mura 05*	16
6. Koper	15 (+6)
7. Domzale	15 (0)
8. Aluminij	14
-----------------------
9. SMARTNO 1928	13
-----------------------
10.Rudar Velen.	9

* - Maribor and Mura 05 have only 11 GP

Well, we're knee-deep in Second Season Syndrome now. Taking just 4 points in our last 8 matches has sent us skidding down the table. We looked to have stopped the rot against Celje when I switched to a 4-4-2. But then Rudar Velenje beat us pretty convincingly.

Our defending is a shambles at the moment. How bad is it? The 2nd and 3rd place Goal of the Week winners were scored against us. By different teams. There's just no bite at all now. We're getting knocked off the ball easily, and worse than that my players will just watch a ball THAT'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM, when they're not passing it directly to the other team.

We showed earlier this season that we have players who can play sexy football, but right now I just need them to pull their fingers out. And they need to do it ASAP, since Rudar just sacked their manager and presumably will get the new-boss bounce.

Saturday, October 7, 2017

Quality of possession provides victory

NK Smartno 1928 2-0 NK Krka Novo Mesto (First League)

Goal-friendly Krka suffered a 2-0 defeat against Smartno 1928 on a fine autumn afternoon at Smartno.

Young winger Klemen Pavel gave NK Smartno 1928 the lead with an effort from 20 metres in the 31st minute. Striker Matevz Lenosek finally rounded off their victory on 78 minutes with an accurate finish.

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Rearguard action provides memorable Smartno 1928 victory

NK Olimpija Ljubljana 0-2 NK Smartno 1928 (First League)

Olimpija, who have one of the league's poorest disciplinary records, suffered defeat against Smartno 1928 on a wet aftenoon at Sportni park Stozice.

Young winger Klemen Pavel gave NK Smartno 1928 the lead with a well timed close range finish in the 21st minute. Striker Matevz Lenosek finally rounded off their victory on 89 minutes with a powerful effort.

Player of the Match: Klemen Pavel (Smartno 1928)

Attendance: 2,530

Sunday, October 29, 2017

Smartno 1928 cruise to 3-0 victory

NK Smartno 1928 3-0 NK Aluminij Kidricevo (First League)

One of the league's worst defences so far this season continued to struggle as Aluminij lost to Smartno 1928 on a wet afternoon at Smartno.

Centre-back Aljaz Leskovar showed a sign of things to come though as he nearly gifted NK Smartno 1928 a goal on 4 minutes. Striker Matevz Lenosek gave NK Smartno 1928 the lead with a well timed close range finish in the 26th minute.

Lenosek added his 2nd goal of the game with a fine header from point-blank range on 27 minutes. Lenosek completed the rout on 42 minutes with an accurate finish.

Attendance: 1,934

[b]Slovenian PrvaLiga (through 15 of 36 rounds)[/b]
1. Celje	29
2. Krka		27
3. Maribor*	26
4. SMARTNO 1928	22 (+7)
5. Domzale	22 (+5)
6. Olimpija	19
7. Koper	18 (+6)
8. Mura 05*	18 (-8)
-----------------------
9. Rudar Velen.	15
-----------------------
10.Aluminij	14

* - Maribor and Mura 05 have 14 GP

And just like that we're off the ropes, taking maximum points in October (okay, it's only 9. But considering our previous run of form, I'm pleased to get every last one of them). The turnaround mainly coincided with getting DMC Jure Suman back from the physio's table. Most of my players "think Suman is a good player" and our midfield has a lot more bite to it when he's on the pitch. Dude works his socks off in the engine room.

Anyway, my biggest problem at the moment is my goalkeeper Tadej Pusovnik getting stroppy about how I haven't sold him yet. He's now put in a formal transfer request, and Mura are giving him the glad eye.

Friday, November 3, 2017

Smartno 1928 defeated

NK Maribor 2-1 NK Smartno 1928 (First League)

Maribor continued their red-hot form with a 2-1 win over Smartno 1928 at Ljudski vrt.

Young striker Uros Kramar gave NK Maribor the lead with a header in the 21st minute. Midfielder Tadej Kotnik then equalised for NK Smartno 1928 in the 28th minute with a simple finish from close in.

Kramar scored what proved to be the winner in the 61st minute with a good header from just inside the six-yard box.

Player of the Match: Uros Kramar (Maribor)

Attendance: 8,871

Saturday, November 11, 2017

Smartno 1928 so close to upset

NK Smartno 1-1 ND Mura 05 Murska Sobota (First League)

The NK Smartno 1928 contingent that watched their side draw 1-1 with ND Mura 05 Murska Sobota will have been more than pleased with their team's performance in an entertaining First League match.

Midfielder Tadej Kotnik got NK Smartno 1928 off to a flyer by scoring a well struck effort after just one minute. It was a superb solo effort and Kotnik looked delighted. Striker Nusmir Fajic equalised for ND Mura 05 Murska Sobota after 13 minutes with a tidy finish from 12 metres.

Player of the Match: Tadej Kotnik (Smartno 1928)

Attendance: 1,961

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Smartno 1928 triumph in goal bonanza

FC Luka Koper 3-4 NK Smartno 1928 (First League)

NK Smartno 1928 came out on top in a goal extravaganza against FC Luka Koper.

With neither side concentrating on defence, the goals flowed freely at both ends and the crowd will have gone home happy at the entertainment provided.

Striker Matevz Lenosek got NK Smartno 1928 off to a flyer by scoring an accurate finish on 2 minutes. FC Luka Koper's equaliser came through Junior as he seized on Damir Marijan's mistake to score an accurate finish from inside the penalty area. Lenosek then added his 2nd goal of the game with a close range finish whcih was timed impeccably on 45 minutes.

Lenosek added his 3rd goal of the game with a shot from 21 metres out on 58 minutes. Experienced midfielder Hugo Leonardo pulled one back for FC Luka Koper after 59 minutes with a well timed close range finish.

With FC Luka Kope staring at defeat, there was controversy as centre-back Tilen Klemencic then had a penalty shout turned down. Young striker Sandro Oblak then equalised for FC Luka Koper in the 79th minute with a deftly executed finish.

Midfielder Tadej Kotnik then clinched a late winner on 81 minutes with a powerful effort. Kotnik's impact delighted the fans with his late goal.

Attendance: 661

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Grofje win battle of Arena Petrol

NK Celje 2-1 NK Smartno 1928 (First League)

Celje continued their prolific campaign with a 2-1 win over Smartno 1928 at Arena Petrol.

Centre-back Gustavo gave NK Celje the lead with a good header from just inside the six-yard box in the 14th minute. Striker Iztok Mocvinik doubled NK Celje's lead with a simple finish from close in on 19 minutes.

Experienced centre-back Marko Krajcer had a chance to score from the penalty spot for NK Celje on the 42 minute mark but missed the spot-kick. An error from NK Celje's Blaz Vrhovec allowed striker Matevz Lenosek to score a real poacher's effort from 15 metres.

Player of the Match: Gustavo (Celje)

Attendance: 855

Friday, December 1, 2017

Krka strike lucky

NK Krka Novo Mesto 2-0 NK Smartno 1928 (First League)

Youth was no match for experience on a cold and clear winter's evening at Portoval as a young Smartno 1928 team succumbed to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of a much more experienced Krka side.

Experienced centre-back Miroslav Cvijanovic gave NK Krka Novo Mesto the lead with a well executed finish in the 41st minute. The last goal of the game came from goalkeeper Tadej Pusovnik whose 44th minute own-goal will undoubtedly cause him some embarrassment.

Things went from bad to worse for NK Smartno 1928 as striker Dmytro Medvid earned himself an early bath for a vicious foul on 71 minutes.

Player of the Match: Rok Medved (Krka)

Attendance: 4,533

[b]Slovenia PrvaLiga (Through 20 of 36 rounds)[/b]
1. Maribor	41
2. Celje	38 (+15, 37 GF)
3. Krka		38 (+15, 34 GF)
4. Domzale	28
5. SMARTNO 1928	26 (+4)
6. Olimpija	26 (-2)
7. Mura 05	25
8. Rudar Velen.	24
----------------------
9. Koper	22
----------------------
10.Aluminij	17

A mixed bag this month as we had games against the top 3 and lost all of them. We bossed the Mura match and were unlucky to come away with only a draw, whilst entertaining the nation in our match against Koper.

End of the month was especially tough with 3 consecutive away matches. Pusovnik's own goal against Krka was especially comical: A long boot up the pitch that goes right through his hands at the top of the box. Was a bad game all around, tbh, with Lenosek suspended due to yellow card accumulation. And then Medvid only goes and clocks a Krka defender with an elbow.

So that makes 2 red cards already this season. I think it's safe to say we won't be getting into Europe through the Fair Play table this year (we're also 4th for most yellows). :D

I managed to lock down Lenosek and Medvid to contract extensions before they became eligible to sign a pre-contract. Lenosek's is especially pricey for us, but even so we're 9th for total wage bill at $477,000/year (not surprisingly, Maribor lead with $1.27M, almost double the next team). And honestly Lenosek is proving to be worth the $1,000/week we're now paying him, as he's leading the chase for the Golden Boot with 15 goals in 17 appearances. The contract extension apparently caused the two Greek SuperLeague teams that were tracking him to lose interest (perhaps because he now has a $700,000 minimum release clause for foreign clubs)

We're still losing quite a bit of money though, $100,000 last month. But we are still sitting on a bank balance of over $1M.

I've also had another player come to me saying he think he's accomplished all he can at Smartno. But in Matej Kolenc's case, he turns 34 in the spring. He's still the captain and still a useful player, but I'm cool with letting his contract run out.

Speaking of Europe, 4th place would get us in depending on the winner of the Slovenian Cup. Unfortunately, 3 of the 4 semifinalists are lower than us in the table. We find ourselves having to hope our rivals Celje win it.

Here's the draw for Russia 2018:

[b]Group A		Group B		Group C		Group D[/b]
Australia	Chile		Holland		Argentina
Cameroon	Croatia		Ivory Coast	Costa Rica
Czech Republic	Italy		Japan		Egypt
Ukraine		Qatar		Spain		Turkey

[b]Group E		Group F		Group G		Group H[/b]
Brazil		Canada		Russia		Belgium
Mexico		Ecuador		Scotland	China
N. Ireland	England		Senegal		South Africa
Sweden		Germany		USA		Uruguay

Who's missing?

Nigeria (lost playoff to South Africa)

Ghana (lost playoff to Senegal)

South Korea (finished 4th in Final Group A, behind Qatar, Japan and Iran)

France (lost playoff to Scotland)

Republic of Ireland (finish 2nd in group, but not good enough to reach playoff)

Denmark (pipped by England on goal difference, then lost playoff to Czech Republic)

Portugal (finished 3rd in group behind Turkey and Scotland)

Slovenia (finished 3rd in group behind Holland and Northern Ireland)

Wales (lost playoff to Northern Ireland)

Winter transfer window news

IN

DL/WBL - David Lugonjic (Loan, Koper)

Brought the 29-year-old in as cover at left back with Plimon being loaned out. Excellent in the tackle, but doesn't have the greatest mental stats. I don't see him pushing out Denis Perger, but he's better cover than Plimon.

GK - Darko Brljak (Loan, Stromgodset)

A veteran goalkeeper who began his career with us, has experience in both the Swedish and Norwegian top flights. This is a bit of a pricey deal: Between our contribution to his wages and a monthly fee to reach Stromgodset's desired contribution, he'll run us about $4,000/month. The wage contributions for the players loaned out though will just about cover what we're paying him. I feel he can be a boost between the sticks, and better organize our defense.

OUT

DL - Goran Plimon (Loan, Sampion)

The 21-year-old came to me looking for loan move to get some first-team action. The 3. SNL side was the best fit for this project player.

ST/AMRL - Sasa Zupancic (Loan, Dravinja)

19 years old, works hard for his teammates, but needs to get better technically. The plan was always to loan him for match experience, and a midtable 2. SNL side comes in for him.

ST/AML - Ziga Vrabl (Loan, Ankaran Hrvatini)

Another 19-year-old I wanted to loan out to give some first-team football. He goes to a 2. SNL side involved in a relegation scrap.

Biggest deal worldwide: Andile Jali, $18.25M from Arsenal to Lyon

Biggest deal (Slovenia): Christian Owona, $70K from Coton Sport (CMR) to Gorica (2. SNL)

Got a couple of nice friendlies lined up. Astra (ROM) and Krasnodar (RUS) came to me looking for some games. We'll make about $65,000 in fees paid by the two clubs.

Saturday, March 3, 2018

Smartno 1928 cruise to 2-0 victory

NK Smartno 1928 2-0 NK Domzale (First League)

Smartno 1928 had their midfield to thank on a fine spring afternoon at Smartno as they showed their striker how to finish.

Midfielder Tadej Kotnik got NK Smartno 1928 off to a flyer by scoring a close range header on 6 minutes. Veteran winger Bojan Stepanovic completed the scoring for NK Smartno 1928 with a real poacher's effort from 14 metres on 38 minutes.

Player of the Match: Tadej Kotnik (Smartno 1928)

Attendance: 1,908

Saturday, March 10, 2018

NK Smartno 1928 1-1 NK Rudar Velenje (First League)

One of the league's worst defences put in a battling display as Rudar Velenje shared the spoils with Smartno 1928 on a fine spring afternoon at Smartno.

Young full-back Denis Vrsic got NK Smartno 1928 off to a flyer by scoring a freak goal on 10 minutes. Rudar Velenje captain Denis Ciric equalised for NK Rudar Velenje after 18 minutes with a real poacher's effort from 13 metres.

NK Rudar Velenje were nearly gifted a goal on 44 minutes through Jure Suman's lapse in concentration but they failed to capitalise on the opportunity presented to them.

Player of the Match: Denis Vrsic (Smartno 1928)

Attendance: 1,919

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Smartno 1928 edge out opponents in close encounter

NK Smartno 1928 2-1 NK Olimpija Ljubljana (First League)

NK Smartno 1928 won a hard fought battle against NK Olimpija Ljubljana on a fine spring afternoon at Smartno. A brace from Matevz Lenosek helped Smartno 1928 to victory.

Striker Matevz Lenosek gave NK Smartno 1928 the lead with a placed shot in the 37th minute. Young midfielder Damir Volk then equalised for NK Olimpija Ljubljana in the 64th minute with an incisive finish from 17 metres.

Lenosek clinch the winner on 90 minutes with a well struck shot from inside the box which made sure. Lenosek's impact delighted the fans with his late goal.

Attendance: 1,955

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Smartno 1928 survive to claim priceless victory

NK Aluminij Kidricevo 1-2 NK Smartno 1928 (First League)

A potentially serious injury suffered by Smartno 1928's Klemen Pavel overshadowed events on what was a fine spring afternoon at Sportni park Aluminij.

NK Aluminij Kidricevo finally took the lead when midfielder Marko Rojc scored a powerful effort on 48 minutes. Winger Dmytro Medvid then equalised for NK Smartno 1928 in the 81st minute with a tap-in.

Midfielder Dino Hotic then clinched a late winner on 88 minutes with an accurate finish from 19 metres. Hotic's impact delighted the fans with his late goal.

Player of the Match: Dmytro Medvid (Smartno 1928)

Attendance: 2,497

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Mura 05 dominate game

ND Mura 05 Murska Sobota 1-0 NK Smartno 1928 (First League)

ND Mura 05 Murska Sobota enjoyed much of the possession by dominating their Slovenian First League match against a sub-standard NK Smartno 1928 side.

ND Mura 05 Murska Sobota's winner came through Nusmir Fajic as he seizedon Enver Hankic's mistake to score a good header from just inside the six-yard box.

Smartno 1928 were carved open a number of times but despite the ability of their opponents to create chances, they struggled to put them away.

Player of the Match: Denis Kramar (Mura 05)

Attendance: 2,926

Friday, March 30, 2018

Smartno 1928 survive to claim priceless victory

NK Smartno 1928 1-0 NK Maribor (First League)

Goal-friendly Maribor suffered a 1-0 defeat against Smartno 1928 on a fine spring evening at Smartno.

Veteran winger Bojan Stepanovic gave NK Smartno 1928 the lead with a deftly executed finish in the 18th minute.

Smartno 1928 were carved open a number of times but despite the ability of their opponents to create chances, they struggled to put them away.

Player of the Match: Bojan Stepanovic (Smartno 1928)

[b]Slovenia PrvaLiga (through 26 of 36 rounds)[/b]
1. Maribor	51
2. Celje	44
3. Krka		40
4. SMARTNO 1928	39 (+8)
5. Domzale	39 (+6)
6. Olimpija	33
7. Koper	32 (+6)
8. Mura 05	32 (-13)
------------------------
9. Rudar Velen.	32 (-15)
------------------------
10.Aluminij	24

A really great month for us. We went into the winter break with 3 straight away matches, we come out of it with 3 straight home matches and it allows us to come flying out of the blocks with 7 points from 9. We struggle away against bottom Aluminij until late in the match when I take off Lenosek (who was on a 5.8 rating), more Medvid to the lone forward as a target man, shift Kotic from AMC to AMR, and bring Hotic off the bench to play AMC; it allows us to hit Aluminij twice on the break late. Then we have a dire game against Mura who just completed battered us (30 shots, 9 on target, 60% possession). And then we bounce back by taking down the alpha wolf in a classic smash-and-grab.

Bojan Stepanovic has experienced a bit of a revival in the twilight of his career. He's already announced he'll retire at the end of the season, but has filled in superbly, first on the right wing during Medvid's 3-game suspension, and now on the left wing during Pavel's injury.

Krka are really struggling for form with only 2 points from the first 6 matches coming out of the winter break. This has us in position to grab a European spot without having to worry about how the cup goes, but we can't shake Domzale. Otherwise, the important numbers are that we're 15 points clear of automatic relegation with 10 to play, and only 5 away from matching last season's points total.

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Seventh heaven for Smartno 1928

NK Smartno 1928 7-0 FC Luka Koper (First League)

NK Smartno 1928 looked a class apart as they overwhelmed FC Luka Koper 7-0 at Smartno. The highlight of the game was undoubtedly a superb hat-trick from Smartno 1928's Bojan Stepanovic.

Veteran winger Bojan Stepanovic got NK Smartno 1928 off to a flyer by scoring a deftly executed finish from close range after just one minute. Stepanovic added his 2nd goal of the game with a finish tucked away with consummate ease on 4 minutes.

Lenosek scored with an incisive finish from 17 metres in the 26th minute to extend the lead further. Stepanovic added his 3rd goal of the game with an accurate finish on 34 minutes.

Medvid then increased NK Smartno 1928's advantage further with a finish tucked away with consummate ease on 77 minutes. Medvid adde his 2nd goal of the game with a well timed finish from close range on 82 minutes.

An error from FC Luka Koper's Hugo Leonardo allowed Lenosek to score a well timed close range finish.

Player of the Match: Bojan Stepanovic (Smartno 1928)

Attendance: 1,920

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Domzale ease to victory

NK Domzale 4-1 NK Smartno 1928 (First League)

Domzale continued their prolific campaign with a 4-1 win over Smartno 1928 at Sportni park.

Journeyman goalkeeper Darko Brljak showed a sign of things to come though as he nearly gifted NK Domzale a goal on 23 minutes. Midfielder Zoran Pusic gave NK Domzale the lead with a free kick from the edge of the area in the 27th minute.

Defensive midfielder Jure Suman then equalised for NK Smartno 1928 in the 30th minute with an incisive finish from 17 metres. Pusic then added his 2nd goal of the game with a powerful effort on 35 minutes.

Stanic scored with a close range effort in the 45th minute to extend the lead further. NK Smartno 1928 were nearly gifted a goal on 51 minutes through Mihael Adam's lapse in concentration but they failed to capitalise on the opportunity presented to them.

Stanic completed the rout on 93 minutes with a tidy finish from 15 metres.

Player of the Match: Srdjan Stanic (Domzale)

Attendance: 1,672

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Smartno 1928 miss chance to win

NK Smartno 1928 1-1 NK Celje (First League)

A potentially serious injury suffered by Smartno 1928's Damir Marijan overshadowed events on what was a warm spring afternoon at Smartno.

Young full-back Denis Vrsic gave NK Smartno 1928 the lead with a shot from 21 metres in the 38th minute. Then followed controversy as NK Smartno 1928 were denied claims by centre-back Bostjan Bizjak for a penalty.

Midfielder Blaz Vrhovec equalised for NK Celje after 77 minutes with a good header from just inside the six-yard box.

Player of the Match: Denis Vrsic (Smartno 1928)

Attendance: 1,909

Friday, April 20, 2018

Krka win battle of Smartno

NK Smartno 1928 1-2 NK Krka Novo Mesto (First League)

One of the league's best defences continued their fine former as Krka defeated Smartno 1928 on afine spring evening at Smartno.

Things did not get off to a good start for NK Krka Novo Mesto as winger Dmytro Medvid seized on an error by Alen Vuckic to score a well timed finish from close range. Experienced centre-back Dalibor Radujko had a chance to score from the penalty spot for NK Krka Novo Mesto on the 31 minute mark but missed his spot-kick.

NK Krka Novo Mesto's equaliser came through Dejan Zadnikar as he seized on Matej Kolenc's mistake to score a real poacher's effort from 11 metres. Full-back Alen Vuckic scored what proved to be the winner on 71 minutes with a tidy finish from 12 metres.

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Rudar Velenje ease to victory

NK Rudar Velenje 3-1 NK Smartno 1928 (First League)

One of the league's worst defences put in one of their best performances of the season as Rudar Velenje defeated Smartno 1928 on a fine spring afternoon at Ob Jezeru.

NK Rudar Velenje finally took the lead when young midfielder Alen Furman scored a fierce shot on 45 minutes. Striker Matevz Lenosek then equalised for NK Smartno 1928 in the 52nd minute with a well timed close range finish.

Rudar Velenje captain Denis Ciric put NK Rudar Velenje in front in the 69th minute with a deftly executed finish. Ikechukwu scored from the penalty spot after Kolenc gave away a penalty.

Player of the Match: Aljaz Krefl (Rudar Velenje)

Attendance: 1,482

Saturday, April 28, 2018

Rearguard action provides memorable Smartno 1928 victory

NK Olimpija Ljubljana 1-3 NK Smartno 1928 (First League)

Despite ultimately losing to Smartno 1928 at Sportni park Stozice, Olimpija earned admiration and respect from the footballing community after lining up with a starting eleven consisting entirely of home-grown players.

Olimpija captain Elvis Dzafic showed a sign of things to come though as he nearly gifted NK Smartno a goal on 10 minutes. An error from NK Olimpija Ljubljana's Andraz Sporar allowed striker Dmytro Medvid to score a simple finish from close in. Midfielder Dino Hotic doubled NK Smartno 1928's lead with a well timed finish from close range on 48 minutes.

Striker Rok Gruskovnjak pulled one back for NK Olimpija Ljubljana after 51 minutes with a shot from 25 metres. Striker Matevz Lenosek finally rounded off their victory on 89 minutes with a shot from 21 metres.

Player of the Match: Jure Suman (Smartno 1928)

Attendance: 2,288

[b]Slovenia PrvaLiga (Through 32 of 36 rounds)[/b]
1. Maribor	62
2. Krka		55
3. Celje	54
4. Domzale	50
5. SMARTNO 1928	46
6. Rudar Velen.	43
7. Mura 05	42
8. Olimpija	39
------------------
9. Koper	35
------------------
10.Aluminij	25

So March's optimism gives way to a pretty horrendous April.

It certainly didn't look that way when we put Koper to the sword, shredding their 3-4-1-2 formation. But apparently it put us out of sorts, because we could only take 1 point off of Krka, Celje and Domzale, tumbling from a brief stay in 3rd (and European qualification) down to 5th. We looked bad against Rudar as well, although we were also hard done by a dubious penalty (that even the FA stayed silent in response to me going ballistic over). Managed to finally stop the rot against Olimpija, but now we're well off the pace for Europe.

Celje's defeat in the Slovenian Cup semifinal means we'd have to finish 3rd now to get into Europe, and we need to make up 8 points in 4 games. We'd pretty much need to run the table, and an away excursion to Maribor means that's unlikely to happen (even though we do get games against the bottom two as part of our run-in).

Still, there's plenty to be proud of. Our 46 points means we've already bettered last season's total. And Matevz Lenosek is being talked about as a contender for the First League Player of the Season award. He's also established a new club record with 21 goals this season. Tadej Kotnik has become a beast for us. Danish SuperLiga side VB Kolding were sniffing around, and I'd definitely consider selling him, as his $825,000 valuation would just about pay for the training ground improvement the board agreed to. But Kolding *just* got relegated, so it appears they're no longer interested.

Saturday, May 5, 2018

Smartno 1928 in control as Aluminij are brushed aside

NK Smartno 1928 2-1 NK Aluminij Kidricevo (First League)

On a fine spring afternoon at Smartno, there was heartbreak for captain Saso Ogric and his Aluminij team-mates as Aluminij were relegated from the First League.

An error from NK Aluminij Kidricevo's Blaz Cesar allowed striker Matevz Lenosek to score a placed shot from close range. Veteran winger Bojan Stepanovic doubled NK Smartno 1928's lead with a tap-in on 39 minutes.

When Bizjak gave away a penalty, Zupancic confidently stepped up to score from the spot.

Attendance: 1,960

Friday, May 11, 2018

Maribor lift Slovenian First League trophy

NK Maribor 4-0 NK Smartno 1928 (First League)

On a fine spring evening at Ljudski vrt, Maribor's Marcos Tavares lived the dream of many a supporter as he lifted the First League title.

Midfielder Klemen Slivsek got NK Maribor off to a flyer by scoring a well struck effort on 7 minutes. An error from NK Smartno 1928's Denis Vrsic allowed midfielder Marcel Ziegl to score a deflected shot from 22 metres. Zahovic scored with a placed shot in the 35th minute to extend the lead further.

Slivsek completed the rout on 47 minutes with a fierce shot. NK Smartno 1928 were nearly gifted a goal on 60 minutes through Klemen Slivsek's lapse in concentration but they failed to capitalise on the opportunity presented to them.

Player of the Match: Klemen Slivsek (Maribor)

Attendance: 9,176

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

NK Smartno 1928 1-1 ND Mura 05 Murska Sobota (First League)

NK Smartno 1928 will have been the happier of the sides after a 1-1 draw on a warm spring afternoon at Smartno.

Striker Matevz Lenosek got NK Smartno 1928 off to a flyer by scoring a well timed close range finish on 6 minute. Midfielder Rok Buzeti equalised for ND Mura 05 Murska Sobota after 54 minutes with a nice effort from 11 metres.

Player of the Match: Rok Buzeti (Mura 05)

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Poor finishing costs Smartno 1928 dear in 4-1 defeat

FC Luka Koper 4-1 NK Smartno 1928 (First League)

One of the league's worst defences put in one of their best performances of the season as Koper defeated Smartno 1928 on a warm spring afternoon at SRC Bonifika.

Striker Matevz Lenosek gave NK Smartno 1928 the lead with a tidy finish from 14 metres in the 17th minute. It was a superb solo effort and Lenosek looked delighted. FC Luka Koper's equaliser came through Junior as he seized on Enver Hankic's mistake to score a close range header. Young striker Sandro Oblak put FC Luka Koper in front in the 37th minute with a close range header.

Oblak added his 2nd goal of the game with an incisive finish from 10 metres on 59 minutes. An error from NK Smartno 1928's Denis Perger allowed Oblak to score an accurate finish.

Player of the Match: Sandro Oblak (Koper)

Attendance: 1,118

[b]Slovenia PrvaLiga - FINAL[/b]
1. Maribor	72
2. Domzale	60
3. Celje	59
4. Krka		57
5. Rudar Velen.	52
6. SMARTNO 1928	50
7. Mura 05	49
8. Olimpija	43
------------------
9. Koper	39
------------------
10.Aluminij	25

So a poor close-in sees us fall to a 6th place finish. We make heavy work to get past Aluminij, and get ANOTHER dubious penalty called against us. We capitulate to a ruthless Maribor who win the league for the 7th time in the past 8 seasons. We try to bounce back in the last game at Smartno, battering Mura but can't get a win. And then we go 1-0 up on Koper (who we'd destroyed 7-0 in our previous meeting) and then all the players start making plans for their holidays.

But that also demonstrates our Jeckyll and Hyde performances. We were brilliant at home, going 10-5-3 with a +21 goal difference. Our home record was the third best in the league, with the goal difference the best (tbf, boosted by the Koper rout). But away from home we were a pitiful 5-0-13, the 9th worst away record in the league, shipping more than 2 goals per game.

Change is in the air for the off-season. Goalkeeper Tadej Pusovnik and DC/DM (and captain) Matej Kolenc both want to leave to find a new challenge. And that's probably for the best. The big loss though will be DMC Jure Suman, who's signed a pre-contract with Krka. We couldn't meet his wage demands (possibly because his agent has a "fierce dislike" of me). So I'm looking for a goalkeeper, and some holding midfielders. While I'm at it, some better centre-backs wouldn't hurt either.

The biggest change, of course, is the move to the new stadium. We're still on track to move in in early July. With more than double the seating capacity of Smartno, it'll be easier to get a ticket: We played to an average 97% of capacity.

Hopefully the new stadium means more money, because we're still bleeding cash. We've gone into the red for the year, though we still have over $500,000 in the bank. That's not nearly enough to cover the planned improvements to the training facilities, so barring another cash injection by the board, I expect to get a message that it's been canceled.

As for me, this completes my sixth season at Smartno. The board want me back, but I delayed an offer of a 2-year contract until the end of the season. Unfortunately, no other clubs are expressing even minor interest in me, with only about 6 weeks left on my current deal. So I'll have to decide whether I want to come back. Certainly the new stadium is an incentive, but it looks like it's going to be next to impossible to dislodge Maribor from the top spot. At best we might get regular appearances in the Europa League.

League

Season	Club		Nation	League		GP	W	D	L	PTS	FINISH			ATTENDANCE
2012-13	NK Smartno 1928	SVN	Second League	27	14	5	8	47	2nd (lost playoff)	564
2013-14	NK Smartno 1928	SVN	Second League	27	19	5	3	62	1st			490
2014-15	NK Smartno 1928	SVN	First League	36	9	7	20	34	10th (relegated on GD)	2,893
2015-16	NK Smartno 1928	SVN	Second League	27	17	4	6	55	2nd (won playoff)	1,898
2016-17	NK Smartno 1928	SVN	First League	36	13	5	18	44	7th			1,933
2017-18	NK Smartno 1928	SVN	First League	36	15	5	16	50	6th			1,949

Cups

Season	Club		Nation	Cup		Result
2012-13	NK Smartno 1928	SVN	Slovenian Cup	Second Round
2013-14	NK Smartno 1928	SVN	Slovenian Cup	First Round
2014-15	NK Smartno 1928	SVN	Slovenian Cup	Qualifying Round
2015-16	NK Smartno 1928	SVN	Slovenian Cup	First Round
2016-17	NK Smartno 1928	SVN	Slovenian Cup	Qualifying Round
2017-18	NK Smartno 1928	SVN	Slovenian Cup	First Round

Continental Competition

Season	Club		Nation	Competition	Result
2017-18	Smartno 1928	SVN	Europa League	First Qualifying Round

Smartno 1928 2017-18 close season

So our 6th place finish brought a haul of ... $34.16K. We paid out $24K of that to the players.

Awards

Top Goalscorer: Matevz Lenosek (24 goals in 33 appearances; pipped Maribor's Luka Zahovic by 1 goal)

Goal of the Year, 3rd place: Matevz Lenosek (in final game of season)

Team of the Season: DR Denis Vrsic, AMC/R Tadej Kotnik (as MC), Matevz Lenosek (ST)

Player of the Season, 3rd place: Matevz Lenosek

Somewhat amazingly though, no clubs are looking at Lenosek. There's about a half-dozen tracking Tadej Kotnik, who's now valued by the game at $925,000.

League reputation

Slovenia PrvaLiga 38 (up 1 spot)

La Liga falls to 4, swapping spots with Serie A (now No. 2)

Club reputation

Smartno 1928 now ranks 320 in the European club rankings, up 264 places. Watch out ManUtd. :D

Continental qualification

Slovenia retains its European places, but its Europa League seedings improve.

1 club in Champions League Champions 2nd Qualifying Round.

3 clubs in Europa League: One in Best Placed Third Qualifying Round, two in Champions Third Qualifying Round

(need to pass Romania, Greece and Poland to get a 2nd Champions League team)

A decent season, the club i certainly progressing, albeit slowly.

We're already bigger than our rivals Celje, at least in the attendance table. ;)

Maribor		10,198
Krka		4,578
Mura 05		3,382
Olimpija	3,327
Aluminij	2,460
SMARTNO 1928	1,949
Domzale		1,705
Rudar Velenje	1,625
Koper		1,118
Celje		1,076

So in the end I decided the lure of a new stadium wasn't enough to continue my employment with Smartno, and allowed my contract to expire.

With 6 years of experience and 2 promotions (and, er, 1 relegation), and consolidation in Slovenia's top league, I figured I'd land a job pretty quickly. Wasn't quite to be.

IFK Gothenborg (SWE) Djurgardsden (SWE) and Millonarios (COL) all said they were flattered by my interest but opted for local managers. It wasn't until the beginning of October that I landed a new job, but it was worth the wait.

Helsingborgs_IF_logo.png

Helsingborgs IF

Helsingborg are one of Sweden's big clubs, but they're in trouble this year. Predicted to finish 4th, they're in a relegation fight, sitting 13th (one spot above the promotion-relegation playoff, 2 above the 2 automatic relegation spots) with just 5 matches left.

The board offered me a 3-year deal (really the remainder of this season and the 2 years following) on $1.3K/week. It's barely more money than I made a Smartno, but oh my goodness...

Transfer budget: $1M

Wage budget: $69K/week

Current wages: $57.38K/week

The board say they won't be judging me on this season's performance, but I am expected to play attacking football and develop players through the youth system (Sweden's rules require 9 players trained by a club in Sweden in the first 11, which limits my ability to raid Smartno)

Average ticket price: $48

Season ticket price: $314

Season ticket holders: 4,500

Estimated value: $8M

The season ticket price isn't much more expensive than at Smartno, but there are a lot more of them, and the single-game tickets are much more expensive.

1793224_w2.jpg

Olympia

Capacity: 16,804 (9,673 seated)

Stadium condition: Good

Under Soil Heating: No

Pitch Condition: Very Good

Corporate facilities: Adequate

Training facilities: Average

Youth facilities: Basic

Junior coaching: Average

Youth recruitment: Established

We'll need some better youth facilities if we're going to grow our own, but otherwise this is a big step up from Smartno.

This is a league I added in after I started, so FM simulated its seasons before making it active. How Helsingborg has finished:

2012: 5th

2013: 2nd

2014: 12th

2015: 4th

2016: 5th

2017: 4th

They haven't been to a European group stage since bombing out of Europa League Group L in 2012 (after they had lost a Champions League playoff to Dinamo Zagreb) taking a single point off CSKA Moscow, Stuttgart and CFR Cluj)

2013: Lost Europa League playoff

2014: Lost Europa League Third Qualifying Round

2016: Lost Europa League Second Qualifying Round

2018: Lost Europa League Third Qualifying Round

Sunday, October 7, 2018

Mjallby hold out for draw

Helsingborgs IF 2-2 Mjallby AIF (Premier Division)

Erik Weclewicz played the part of super-sub for Helsingborg as HIF came from behind to claim a draw against Mjallby on a breezy afternoon at Olympia.

An error from Mjallby AIF's Peter Abrahamsson allowed experienced striker Jacob Orlov to score a fine header from point-blank range. Mjallby AIF's equaliser came through Fredrik Fendrich as he seized on Loret Sadiku's mistake to score a close range finish which was timed impeccably. Experienced midfielder Haris Radetinac then put Mjallby AIF in front after 53 minutes with a real poacher's effort from 14 metres.

Winger Erik Weclewicz equalised for Helsingborgs IF after 60 minutes with a close range header. Mjallby AIF's Emil Eliasson was back in the dressing room after earning himself a second yellow card in the 62nd minute.

Player of the Match: Patrik Johansson (Helsingborg)

Attendance: 8,592

Sunday, October 21, 2018

Superior finishing provides cutting edge for Helsingborg

Helsingborgs IF 3-0 GAIS (Premier Division)

One of the league's worst defences so far this season continued to struggle as GAIS lost to Helsingborg on a mild autumnal afternoon at Olympia.

Experienced striker Jakob Orlov got Helsingborgs IF off to a flyer by scoring a tame effort from close to goal on 2 minutes. Centre-back Jimmy Stromberg doubled Helsingborgs IF's lead with a header on 23 minutes.

GAIS were nearly gifted a goal on 34 minutes through Sandeep Mankoo's lapse in concentration but they failed to capitalise on the opportunity presented to them. Mankoo completed the rout on 60 minutes with a good header from just inside the six-yard box.

Player of the Match: Ferjani Sassi (Helsingsborg)

Attendance: 8,524

Sunday, October 28, 2018

Elfsborg hold out for draw

Helsingborgs IF 0-0 IF Elfsborg (Premier Division)

A potentially serious injury suffered by Elfsborg's Dennis Olsson overshadowed events on what was a wet afternoon at Olympia.

The match began in controversial circumstances as IF Elfsborg were denied claims by Simon Martensson for a penalty. Another particularly interesting talking point saw Helsingborgs IF have a 84th minute goal questionably ruled out for an infringement.

Player of the Match: Sandeep Mankoo (Helsingsborg)

Attendance: 8,676

Sunday, November 4, 2018

Bajen strike lucky

Hammarby Fotboll 2-0 Helsingsborgs IF (Premier Division)

One of the league's worst defences put in one of their best performances of the season as Hammarby Fotboll defeated Helsingsborg on a breezy afternoon at Tele2 Arena.

When Ervik gave away a penalty, Castro-Tello confidently stepped up to score from the spot. Striker Billy Schuler completed the scoring for Hammarby Fotboll with a well timed close range finish on 59 minutes.

Player of the Match: Billy Schuler (Hammarby Fotboll)

Attendance: 8,510

Sunday, November 11, 2018

Sundsvall ease to victory

GIF Sundsvall 4-2 Helsingborgs IF (Premier Division)

On a breezy afternoon at Norrpoten Arena, there was heartbreak for captain Paulus Arajurri and his Helsingborg team-mates as HIF were relegated from the Premier Division.

Winger Samir Selimovic got Helsingborgs IF off to a flyer by scoring a fierce shot on 5 minutes. It was a superb solo effort and Selimovic looked delighted. Striker Alex Nilsson then equalised for GIF Sundsvall in the 7th minute with a fierce shot.

Winger Jesper Floren put GIF Sundsvall in front in the 20th minutes with a lucky strike. Midfielder Lars Christian Krogh Gerson then equalised for Helsingborgs IF in the 54thminute with an incisve finish from 15 metres.

Nilsson then added his 2nd goal of the game with a fluke goal on 56 minutes. Nilsson went on to complete his hat-trick with a deftly executed finish on 63 minutes.

Player of the Match: Alex Nilsson (Sundsvall)

Attendance: 6,476

[b]Swedish Premier Division - FINAL[/b]
1. Elfsborg	56
2. Malmo	55
3. Gefle	51
4. AIK		44 (+10)
5. Orebro	44 (+8)
6. IFK Goteborg	43
7. Djurgarden	41
8. Sundsvall	40 (-3)
9. GAIS		40 (-7)
10.Hammarby	38
11.Hacken	36
12.Mjallby	35
13.Kalmar	34
------------------
14.IFK Norrko.	32 (-3)
----------------------
15.HELSINGBORGS	32 (-10)
16.Syrianska	26

So that's twice in this save I've been relegated on goal difference.

This one is pretty deserved though. We appear to have a lot of mentally frail players, given how many were looking nervous/very nervous/anxious.

We did okay in our three home matches, though if our goal against Elfsborg isn't ruled offside, we're heading to the playout anyway. A questionable penalty in the Hammarby match really sealed our fate though. We needed to at least hold serve (though, again, that wouldn't have been enough to avoid the playout).

Still, we're a big club with lots of cash. Three defenders came to me after relegation was confirmed and handed in transfer requests, which is fine with me as they were all terrible in the final match. The transfer window opens in only three days, and the only question is if my scouts will find much before we start the new season. A wholesale rebuild is the likely course.

Realized I hadn't looked at the World Cup...

World Cup 2018 - Russia

Group A			Group B		Group C			Group D
Australia	7	Chile	6 (+2)	Spain		7	Argentina	9
Ukraine		7	Italy	6 (+2)	Holland		6	Turkey		4
Cameroon	3	Croatia	6 (+1)	Japan		2	Costa Rica	3
Czech Republic	0	Qatar	0	Ivory Coast	1	Egypt		1

Group E			Group F		Group G			Group H
Brazil		9	Germany	9	Scotland	6	Uruguay		5
Mexico		3 (0)	England	6	USA		6	South Africa	4 (+1)
N. Ireland	3 (-2)	Ecuador	3	Senegal		3	China		4 (-1)
Sweden		3 (-3)	Canada	0	Russia		3	Belgium		2

(Canada finish last through -6 GD; Qatar at -5, Czech Republic -4)

Round of 16
Italy 2-1 Australia
Chile 0-2e Ukraine
Spain p0-0 Turkey
Holland 1-0 Argentina
England 1-2 Brazil
Mexico 0-2 Germany
South Africa 4-1 Scotland
Uruguay 2-4 USA

Quarterfinal
Italy 3-0 Holland
Ukraine 1-2 Spain
Brazil 3-0 USA
Germany 3-0 South Africa

Semifinal
Italy 1-0 Germany
Spain 1-3 Brazil

Third place playoff
Spain 2-1 Germany

Final
Italy 0-3 Brazil

Helsingborgs_IF_logo.png

Helsingborgs IF - 2019 season preview - Swedish First Division Elite

So we've had a long winter to stew over our relegation from the top flight, and it's been all change down at Sweden's southern tip (steady!).

On the bright side, there's a fair bit of money sloshing around in Sweden. We'll get $537,000 for TV rights this season.

We began the off-season with a $1M transfer kitty, but sales of wantaway players have boosted that to around $2.1M. The downside is we'll be going into the season with a shaky back 5, given that we sold 3 of our starting defenders (all of whom put in transfer requests immediately after our relegation). So we may find ourselves playing Keeganball.

Somewhat annoyingly, the board refused to upgrade our "basic" youth training facilities, even though one of the terms of my contract is to develop young players. I did get them to agree to upgrade our first-team training facilities though (currently rated "average"). The downside of relegation (well, one of many) is our link with Varnamo was terminated because we're now in the same division, so that eliminates a place where I can send young players to gain experience.

There's no doubt about our goal for this season: The board demand that we win the league and head back to the top flight at the first attempt. They're so focused on this that they don't care about the cup. Which is fine with me, as the cup is played over the traditional FIFA calendar. So we return to meaningful football with a 4-team group stage (in which the group winners advance to the quarterfinal). Looks like I'll be using that mainly to get the team familiar with the way I want them to play football.

Saturday, March 9, 2019

Helsingsborg hammer Assyriska BK

Assyriska BK 1-3 Helsingsborgs IF (Swedish Cup Grp 4)

A young Helsingsborg side showed that you can win with kids as they came out on top against a much more experienced Assyriska BK team on a breezy afternoon at Ruddalen.

Defensive midfielder Ludvig Sundstrom had a chance to score from the penalty spot for Assyriska BK on the 4 minute mark but missed his spot-kick. Striker Vladica Bajic got Helsingsborgs IF off to a flyer by scoring a shot from 20 metres out on 6 minutes.

Striker Abubacarr Nyass then equalised for Assyriska BK in the 17th minute with an accurate finish from inside the penalty area. Defensive midfielder Loret Sadiku then put Helsingsborg IF in front after 47 minutes with a fine header from point-blank range.

Midfielder Diego Antonio Manzano completed the scoring for Helsingsborgs IF with a header on 64 minutes.

Attendance: 363

Saturday, March 16, 2019: Bookies make us 7-4 favorites to gain promotion.

Saturday, March 16, 2019

Helsingborgs IF 3-0 Syrianska FC (Swedish Cup Grp 4)

Helsingsborg's match against Syrianska will have been a meaningful one for Helsingsborg's Gabriel Somi as he was able to celebrate victory over his former club.

Winger Samir Selimovic gave Helsingsborgs IF the lead with a tidy finish from 11 metres in the 32nd minute. An error from Syrianska FC's Muammer Demirtas allowed striker Vladica Bajic to score a placed shot. Young full-back Justice Tchintcho Nguembou completed the rout with a fierce effort from 23 metres out on 79 minutes.

Attendance: 4,096

Friday, March 22, 2019

Helsingsborg fail to make chances pay

Trelleborgs FF 2-2 Helsingborgs IF (Swedish Cup Grp 4)

Trelleborg's draw with Helsingsborg on a breezy evening at Vangavallen saw a number of players continue their ever-present runs for Trelleborg this season.

Young striker Jens Dahlgren gave Trelleborgs FF the lead with a close range header in the 11th minute. Dahlgren added his 2nd goal of the game with a close range finish which was timed impeccably on 43 minutes.

An error from Trelleborgs FF's Fredrik Liverstam allowed striker Vladica Bajic to score a header. Winger David Accam equalised for Helsingborgs IF after 62 minutes with an accurate finish from inside the penalty area.

Player of the Match: Jens Dahlgren (Trelleborg)

Attendance: 2,703

[b]Swedish Cup - Group 4[/b]
1. HELSINGSBORG	7
-----------------
2. Trelleborg	4
3. Syrianska	3 (-3)
4. Assyriska	3 (-4)

So a straightforward performance sees us move on to the quarterfinal of a cup the board doesn't care about. We did benefit from a fairly easy group: Assyriska are down in Division 2, and Trelleborg and Syrianska are First Division Elite sides like us. The Trelleborg match was the only game that troubled us, and that was partly because international callups and injuries forced us to field an A/B side with a couple of youth players on the bench, and partly because we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn (we took 21 shots but got only 6 of them on target).

Unfortunately, injuries means we'll start the league campaign short of our starting AMR and AML. The backups have shown some decent performances though.

Helsingborg winter transfer madness...

IN

MC/AMC - Diego Antonio Manzano (out of contract)

Touted to us by his agent, the 20-year-old is a product of the Espanyol academy, but got only 2 games with the big club (though 59 with the "B" team in the Second Division B3). Coaches think he's a decent Swedish Premier Division player now, and could be a leading central mid in the future. Needs some work on the defensive side of the ball, but I'm more likely to have him sit in the hole. He signed for $1.1K/week, plus a $775 appearance fee through the 2022 season.

ST - Vladica Bajic ($24,000 + 25% of next-sale profit, Buducnost)

Valued at $100,000, I got him off the transfer list.

Turning 23 in the spring, has fantastic pace, and is composed in front of goal. Has 19 goals in 40 appearances with the Montenegro U21s.

DR - Justice Tchintcho Nguembou ($9,000, Radnicki (Sv)

Just 18 years old, he can play all along the right side. Exceptional technical skill for as young as he is. Needs to get stronger, but otherwise the Cameroon native is an exciting prospect.

DM/MC - Jocelyn Kola (Free)

The 25-year-old came up through the Chateauroux system, but made just 5 appearances for the first team. Did get 68 appearances with the reserves where he was a force in the French CFA. He's signed after Lorit Sadiuk makes a deadline day move to Elfsborg.

OUT

DR/WBR - Gustav Jarl ($500,000 - Elfsborg)

Transfer listed by request after relegation. Valued at $325,000.

MC - David Svensson ($28,000 + $85,000 over 24 months + 20% of next-sale profit, GAIS)

Transfer listed by request after relegation. Valued at $100,000.

Also had offers (for less total money) from Cercle Brugge and Halmstad.

DL - Jorgen Skjelvik ($550,000, IFK Goteborg)

Transfer listed by request after relegation. Valued at $475,000.

DC - Paulus Arajuuri ($475,000, Gil Vicente)

Transfer listed by request after relegation. Valued at $475,000.

DC/DMC/MC - Lorit Sadiuk ($150,000, Elfsborg)

Elfsborg triggered the 27-year-old's minimum release clause on deadline day. Rosenborg made a late bid as well, but he opted to stay in Sweden.

So the side pretty much got ripped apart in the winter. All of the sales meant our transfer kitty was boosted from $1.3M to $2.25M. I'm really happy with the transfers in, although it leaves us a bit top heavy. We're probably going to have to outscore teams to win games, until I can address the back five (especially left back and goalkeeper. The centrebacks are by no means great, but are probably "good enough")

Sunday, March 31, 2019

Helsingsborg triumph in goal bonanza

IK Sirius FK 3-5 Helsingborgs IF (First Division Elite)

Helsingborgs IF came out on top in a goal extravaganza against IK Sirius FK.

With neither side concentrating on defence, the goals flowed freely at both ends and the crowd will have gone home happy at the entertainment provided.

Midfielder Diego Antonio Manzano gave Helsingborgs IF the lead with a well timed close range finish in the 13th minute. Striker Ante Bjorkebaum then equalised for IK Sirius FK in the 15th minute with a header.

Striker Vladica Bajic had a chance to score from the penalty spot for Helsingborgs IF on the 18 minute mark but missed his spot-kick. Bajic found the back of the net with a good header from just inside the six-yard box on 33 minutes.

IK Sirius FK's equaliser came through Darko Nikolov as he seized on Gabriel Somi's mistake to score a penalty. Bajic then added his 2nd goal of the game with a close range finish which was timed impecabbly on 49 minutes.

Full-back Elliot Kack then equalised for IK Sirius FK in the 54th minute with a free kick from 32 metres. An error from IK Sirius FK's Dalili Benyahia allowed centre-back Sandeep Mankoo to score a close range effort. The Helsingborgs IF fans might have been forgiven for thinking that their side would be happy with just the winner but the scoring wasn't over.

Bajic completed the scoring for Helsingborgs IF with a tap-in on 86 minutes.

Player of the Match: Vladica Bajic (Helsingsborg)

Attendance: 1,837

Sunday, April 7, 2019: Helsingborgs IF announce season ticket sales of 3,690. This is a significant drop from the previous season, when the club sold 4500.

Sunday, April 7, 2019

Confident performance from HIF

Helsingborgs IF 3-1 Angelholms FF (First Division Elite)

A potentially serious injury suffered by Angelholm's Boris Djenic overshadowed events on what was a breezy afternoon at Olympia.

There was early drama as Angelholms FF saw a goal ruled out, a decision they felt considerably aggrieved by. Striker Vladica Bajic gave Helsingborgs IF the lead with an effort from inside the penalty area which deflected past the goalkeeper in the 36th minute.

Young winger Adam Svensson doubled Helsingborgs IF's lead with a powerful effort on 45 minutes. Bajic added his 2nd goal of the game with a good header from just inside the six-yard box on 69 minutes.

Experienced striker Heidar Geir Jullusson pulled one back for Angelholms FF after 84 minutes with a close range header.

Attendance: 5,794

Sunday, April 14, 2019

Helsingsborg triumph in goal bonanza

Osters IF 3-5 Helsingsborgs IF (First Division Elite)

Helsingborgs IF came out on top in a goal extravaganza against Osters IF.

Winger David Accam got Helsingborgs IF off to a flyer by scoring a placed shot on 5 minutes. Striker Vladica Bajic doubled Helsingborgs IF's lead with a lucky strike on 10 minutes.

Then followed controversy as Helsingborgs IF were denied claims by full-back Gabriel Somi for a penalty. Winger Daniel Lengyei pulled one back to Osters IF after 20 minutes with a close range finish which was timed impeccably.

Striker Loan Liljegren then equalised for Osters IF in the 25th minute with a fine header from point-blank range. Bajic then added his 2nd goal of the game with a well executed finish on 45 minutes.

Bajic added his 3rd goal of the game with a well timed close range finish on 46 minutes. Manzano then increased Helsingborgs IF's advantage further with a free kick from the edge of the area on 55 minutes.

Young midfielder Andre Lindblad pulled one back for Osters IF after 89 minutes with a close range finish which was timed impeccably.

Attendance: 2,438

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

HIF cruise to 2-0 victory

BK Hacken 0-2 Helsingborgs IF (Swedish Cup Qtr Final)

A deserved 2-0 win for Helsingborgs IF over BK Hacken this evening was greeted with delight by the victorious team's fans and players alike.

Young winger Patrik Johansson gave Helsingborgs IF the lead with a placed shot in the 23rd minute. Centre-back Joseph Baffo completed the scoring for Helsingborgs IF with a well timed finish from close range on 56 minutes.

Player of the Match: Joseph Baffo (Helsingsborg)

Attendance: 4,171

Sunday, April 21, 2019

Helsingborg hammer Brommapojkarna

Helsingborgs IF 2-0 IF Brommapojkarna (First Division Elite)

One of the league's worst defences so far this season continued to struggle as Brommapojkarna lost to Helsingsborg on a mild spring afternoon at Olympia.

Winger David Accam gave Helsingborgs IF the lead with a real poacher's effort from 15 metres in the 22n minute. Centre-back Joseph Baffo completed the scoring for Helsingborgs IF with a well timed finish from close range on 26 minutes.

Goalkeeper Davor Blazevic then summed up his team's performance by nearly gifting Helsingborgs IF another goal on 63 minutes.

Player of the Match: Joseph Baffo (Helsingsborg)

Attendance: 5,854

Saturday, April 27, 2019

Helsingsborg in control as Makrillarna are brushed aside

GAIS 1-2 Helsingborgs IF (Swedish Cup Semi Final)

GAIS' match against Helsingsborg will have been a moment GAIS' Dennis Blom will want to forget as he suffered defeat at the hands of his former club.

Helsingborgs IF finally took the lead when striker Vladica Bajic scored a tap-in on 53 minutes. Striker Andreas Kastrati then equalised for GAIS in the 77th minute with a fine header from point-blank range.

Young winger Patrik Johansson then clinched a late winner on 92 minutes with a deftly executed finish.

Player of the Match: Ivan Karanfilovski (Helsingsborg)

Attendance: 9,545

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Atvidaberg grab deserved win

Atvidabergs FF 1-0 Helsingborgs IF (First Division Elite)

One of the league's best defences continued their fine form at Atvidaberg defeated Helsingsborg on a breezy evening at Kopparvallen.

Helsingborg captain Ferjani Sassi showed a sign of things to come though as he nearly gifted Atvidabergs FF a goal on 57 minutes. Atvidabergs FF's winner came through Amir Suljic as he seized on Ferjani Sassi's mistake to score a finish tucked away with consummate ease.

Helsingsborg were carved open a number of times but despite the ability of their opponents to create chances, they struggled to put them away.

Player of the Match: Erik Moberg (Atvidaberg)

Attendnace: 3,280

[b]Swedish First Division Elite (through 5 of 30 rounds)[/b]
1. Atvidaberg	13
2. HELSINGSBORG	12
------------------
3. Trelleborg	10 (+6)
------------------
4. Landskrona	10 (+2)
5. Jonkopings S	9 (+3)
6. Syrianska	9 (+1)
7. Brage	7 (+1)
8. Falkenberg	7 (0)
9. Varnamo	7 (-1)
10.Degerfors	7 (-2)
11.Angelholm	5 (0)
12.Brommapojka.	5 (-3)
------------------
13.Syrianska IF	4 (-1)
14.Sirus	4 (-4)
-----------------
15.Forward	3
16.Oster	0

So a great start, minus the hiccup against Atvidaberg. We'd gone extra time against GAIS, so I had to rotate in some bench players (and an unfit Ferjani Sassi who otherwise is first choice at AMR). And Atvidaberg capitalized when a deflection landed at the feet of one of their midfielders just inside the top of the penalty area with an open net to shoot at.

No doubt about it, we're the entertainers in this division, with 23 goals scored in our 5 matches.

We do still look a little choppy at times, as the players are still getting to grips with the new system and a rash of new faces. And granted it doesn't help that the some of the new boys can't speak the language yet.

But certainly Vladica Bajic has proved an inspired signing for us. Dude has 8 goals in 5 league matches, and 4 in 5 cup matches. Already talk that he's in line to get his first cap with the senior Montenegro side. Alas, he twisted his ankle shortly after halftime in the Atvidaberg match and is expected out 5 to 6 weeks.

I imagine I'll need to find some new defenders and a new goalkeeper if we're to meet expectations of winning the league. It'll be a tough ask though, as we need to name a squad that has a minimum of 9 players trained in Sweden before their 21st birthday, and we're usually at 10.

Before we go, spare a thought for my old side Smartno 1928. They've been relegated from the PrvaLiga with 4 matches remaining.

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Helsingborgs IF 3-1 Landskrona BoIS (First Division Elite)

A highly polished performance from the Helsingborgs IF players saw their team run out 3-1 winners over Landskrona BoIS at Olympia.

Young winger Patrik Johansson gave Helsingborgs IF's the lead with a close range finish which was timed impeccably in the 23rd minute.

Experienced striker Jakob Orlov doubled Helsingborgs IF's lead with an accurate finish on 25 minutes.

Baffo scored with a good header from just inside the six-yard box in the 39th minute to extend the lead further. The last goal of the game came from goalkeeper Linus Muller whose 64th minute own-goal will undoubtedly cause him some embarrassment.

Landskrona BoIS were nearly gifted a goal on 68 minutes through Lars Christian Krogh Gerson's lapse in concentration but they failed to capitalise on the opportunity presented to them.

Attendance: 8,128

Sunday, May 12, 2019

Helsingsborg hammer Trelleborg

Trellborgs FF 0-3 Helsingborgs IF (First Division Elite)

Goal-friendly Trelleborg suffered a 3-0 defeat against Helsingsborg on a warm summer's afternoon at Vangavallen.

Midfielder Diego Antonio Manzano got Helsingborgs IF off to a flyer by scoring a powerful effort on 2 minutes. Experienced striker Jakob Orlov doubled Helsingborgs IF's lead with a simple finish from close in on 55 minutes.

Young full-back Justice Tchintcho Neguembou completed the rout with a well struck effort on 72 minutes.

Player of the Match: Diego Antonio Manzano (Helsingsborg)

Attendance: 3,469

Sunday, May 19, 2019

Helsingsborg hammer Syrianska IF Kerburan

Syrianska IF Kerburan 0-3 Helsingborgs IF (First Division Elite)

A potentially serious injury suffered by Syrianska IF Kerburan's Yakup Budur overshadowed events on what was a warm summer's afternoon at Swedbank Park.

Helsingsborg captain Ferjani Sassi got Helsingborgs IF's off to a flyer by scoring a free kick from the edge of the area on 2 minutes. Midfielder Magnus Haglund doubled Helsingborgs IF's lead with a real poacher's effort from 11 metres on 20 minutes.

Experienced striker Jakob Orlov completed the rout with a well timed finish from close range on 42 minutes.

Attendance: 1,106

Thursday, May 23, 2019

Helsingsborg lift Swedish Cup trophy

Gefle IF FF 2-3 Helsingborgs IF (Swedish Cup Final)

On a fine summer's evening at Friends Arena, Helsingborg's Ferjani Sassi lived the dream of many a supporter as he lifted the Swedish Cup after Helsingsborg's 3-2 Swedish Cup Final victory over Gefle.

Experienced striker Jakob Orlov got Helsingborgs IF off to a flyer by scoring an incisive finish from 14 metres on 6 minutes. Midfielder Marcus Rohden then equalised for Gefle IF FF in the 14th minute with a finish tucked away with consummate ease.

Full-back Ivan Karanfilovski was left red-faced in the 36th minute as he managed to put the ball into his own net. Winger Samir Selimovic then equalised for Helsingborgs IF in the 63rd minute with a real poacher's effort from 15 metres.

Helsingborgs IF's winner came through Ferjani Sassi as he seized on Marcus Rohden's mistake to score a penalty.

Player of the Match: Ivan Karanfilovski (Helsingsborg)

Attendance: 28,666

Sunday, May 26, 2019

Helsingsborg hammer Forward

Helsingborgs IF 2-0 BK Forward (First Division Elite)

One of the league's worst defences so far this season continued to struggle as Forward lost to Helsingsborg on a hard and bouncy surface at Olympia.

Young goalkeeper Christer Stahl suffered the ignominy of scoring a calamitous own goal in the 30th minute. Experienced striker Jakob Orlov finally rounded off their victory on 90 minutes with a powerful effort.

Player of the Match: Lars Christian Krogh Gerson (Helsingsborg)

Attendance: 5,717

[b]Swedish First Division Elite (Through 9 of 30 rounds)[/b]
1. HELSINGSBORG	24
2. Atvidaberg	19
------------------
3. Landskrona	17
------------------
4. Trelleborg	16 (+8)
5. Jonkopings S.16 (+4)
6. Brage	14 (+2)
7. Falkenberg	14 (0)
8. Degerfors	13
9. Varnamo	12
10.Sirius	11 (0)
11.Brommapojk.	11 (-2)
12.Syrianska	11 (-6)
------------------
13.Angelholm	9
14.Syrianska IF	7
------------------
15.Forward	5
16.Oster	1

Well that complicates this season. Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted to win the Swedish Cup. But my remit this season is to win the First Division Elite and get back to the Swedish Premier League. The board weren't concerned at all about our cup performance. But winning that means we'll now have Europa League commitments to work around.

And this just in: I've won the Manager of the Month award. :thup:

The improvements to the training facilities also have been completed. We're up to "good" now. The board still refuse to improve the "basic" youth facilities though.

And looking back my old club Smartno, a dreadful league campaign got them relegated, 13 points adrift of the playoff and 16 points adrift of safety. But it wasn't all bad. They won the Slovenian Cup. making up for all the first-round exits under my watch. :D

Poor Smartno bloody useless AI, a brilliant start in the league good luck!

It sounded like Dmytro Medvid (who I have on my shortlist) was really struggling under the new regime and its switch to a 4-4-2. :(

The new boss also sold Tadej Kotnik to a South Korean club ($800,000, tbf) before the season. That was a future captain. :mad:

Sunday, June 2, 2019

Helsingborgs IF 4-1 IK Brage (First Division Elite)

Brage enjoyed a considerable size advantage, weighing on average 13 lbs more per player, but were unable to overcome their shorter opponents, perhaps proving that on a fine summer's afternoon at Olympia at least, brains are more important than brawn.

Experienced striker Jakob Orlov got Helsingborgs IF off to a flyer by scoring a good diving header from close range on 8 minutes. Krogh Gerson was able to keep his composure to score from the spot after Cirak gave away a penalty. Selimovic scored with a close range effort in the 30th minute to extend the lead further.

Experienced striker Peter Nilsson pulled one back for IK Brage after 85 minutes with a tidy finish from 11 metres. An error from IK Brage's Peter Nilsson allowed centre-back Joseph Baffo to score a close range header.

Player of the Match: Joseph Baffo (Helsingborgs)

Attendance: 5,719

Saturday, June 15, 2019

Sweden retain continental qualification places

Champions League: 1 team, in the Champions Second Qualifying Round

Europa League: 3 teams, 2 in the Champions Third Qualifying Round (up from 1 last year)

Sunday, June 16, 2019

Helsingborg hammer Jonkopings Sodra

Helsingborgs IF 3-0 Jonkopings Sodra IF (First Division Elite)

Jonkopings Sodra enjoyed a considerable size advantage, weighing on average 11 lbs more per player, but were unable to overcome their shorter opponents, perhaps proving that on a breezy afternoon at Olympia at least, brains are more important than brawn.

Experienced striker Jakob Orlov gave Helsingborgs IF the lead with a deftly executed finish in the 15th minute. Orlov added his 2nd goal of the game with a good header from just inside the six-yard box on 45 minutes.

Winger Samir Selimovic completed the rout with a tidy finish from 10 metres on 78 minutes.

Player of the Match: Jakov Orlov (Helsingborg)

Attenndance: 5,740

Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Helsingborgs fail to make chances pay

Falkenbergs FF 0-0 Helsingborgs IF (First Division Elite)

A potentially serious injury suffered by Falkenberg's Sebastian Svensson overshadowed events on what was a fine summer's evening at Falkenbergs IP.

The first incident of note was on 39 minutes as Falkenbergs FF were denied claims by Johan Svahn for a penalty.

Player of the Match: Ivan Karanfilovski (Helsingborg)

Attendance: 1,829

Sunday, June 23, 2019

Helsingborgs IF 2-0 IFK Varnamo (First Division Elite)

Varnamo enjoyed a considerable size advantage, weighing on average 11 lbs more per player, but were unable to overcome their shorter opponents, perhaps proving that on a warm summer's afternoon at Olympia at least, brains are more important than brawn.

Experienced striker Jakob Orlov got Helsingborgs IF off to a flyer by scoring a good header from just inside the six-yard box after just one minute.

Centre-back Joseph Baffo completed the scoring for Helsingborgs IF with a thumping header on 64 minutes.

Player of the Match: Carl Wachtmeister (Varnamo)

Attendance: 5,716

Sunday, June 30, 2019

Degefors IF 1-3 Helsingborgs IF (First Division Elite)

One of the league's worst defences so far this season continued to struggle as Degerfors lost to Helsingborgs on a hard and bouncy surface at Stora Valla.

Experienced striker Jakob Orlov got Helsingborgs IF off to a flyer by scoring an effort from 18 metres on 7 minutes. Centre-back Alexander Hjarpe then equalised for Degerfors IF in the 16th minute with a well timed close range finish.

Degefors IF were nearly gifted a goal on 22 minutes through Magnus Haglund's lapse in concentration but they failed to capitalise on the opportunity presented to them. Winger Samir Selimovic then put Helsingborgs IF in front after 40 minutes with an incisive finish from 10 metres.

It was a superb solo effort and Selimovic looked delighted. Experienced midfielder Daniel Nordmark finally rounded off their victory on 84 minutes with an accurate finish.

Player of the Match: Samir Selimovic (Helsingborgs)

Attendance: 2,351

Saturday, July 6, 2019

Helsingborgs edge out opponents in close encounter

Syrianska FC 1-2 Helsingborgs IF (First Division Elite)

Helsingborgs IF won a hard fought battle against Syrianska FC on a fine summer's afternoon at Sodertalje Fotbollsarena. A brace from Jakob Orlov helping Helsingborgs to victory.

Experienced striker Jakob Orlove gave Helsingborgs IF the lead with a finish tucked away with consummate ease in the 27th minute. Experienced full-back Jesper Arvidsson then equalised for Syrianska FC in the 35th minute with a tap-in.

Orlov scored what proved to be the winner on 48 minutes with a real poacher's effort from 11 metres.

Player of the Match: Jakob Orlov (Helsingborgs)

Attendance: 751

[b]Swedish First Division Elite (through 15 of 30 rounds)[/b]
1. HELSINGBORGS	40
2. Atvidaberg	31
------------------
3. Trelleborg	29
------------------
4. Varnamo	23
5. Brage	22
6. Angelholm	21 (+5)
7. Jonkopings S	21 (+1)
8. Landskrona	21 (0)
9. Syrianska FC	21 (-2)
10.Sirius	19 (0)
11.Falkenberg	19 (-7)
12.Degerfors	17
------------------
13.Brommapojka.	16
14.Syrianska IF	13
------------------
15.Forward	12
16.Oster	5

So we're halfway through the league campaign, and we're on cruise control at the moment. We've run off 10 consecutive matches without defeat in the league, and that's even with a mini injury crisis at the start of June. We had 3 of our regular starting XI out of the Brage game due to injuries or suspension, and lost a 4th to injury in the first half. I had to go to my backup tactic for most of the month, and while there were some hiccups (like a very nervous performance in the draw at Falkenberg), for the most part we've been able to put games to bed early.

Jakob Orlov stepped into the lone forward role when Vladica Bajic went down with injury and he's not letting the now-healthy Bajic back in, posting a staggering haul of 12 goals in 13 appearances.

There is a risk of the team being ripped apart though, with clubs circling around some players who are nearing the end of their contracts and who want more money that I'm willing to give (or in some cases, the board will allow). It's pretty much imperative we go up, as we're bleeding cash. We're already $700,000 in the red for this season alone, and the board projects us to lose $2.7M for the season (although they also project we'll still end the season with $3M in the bank. No doubt helped by all the player sales in the winter).

Fortunately, we're getting players back from the trainer's table just in time to start our Europa League campaign. We've been handed a tricky tie for our first matchup, getting Bulgarian runners-up Botev (Plovdiv). It means we'll be getting a lot (well, 2 weeks at least) of Thursday-Sunday matches. That 9-point advantage we've built up could prove vital.

Otherwise, June was another good month personally, as I made it back-to-back Manager of the Month awards, and we had 5 players in the Team of the Month.

Sunday, July 14, 2019

HIF win against Sirius

Helsingborgs IF 2-1 IK Sirius FK (First Division Elite)

Sirius' defeat against Helsingborg on a warm summer's afternoon at Olympia saw a number of players continue their ever-present runsfor Blasvart this season.

Experienced striker Jakob Orlov got Helsingborgs IF off to a flyer by scoring a tap-in on 6 minutes. Winger Samir Selimovic doubled Helsingborgs IF's lead with a powerful close range effort on 37 minutes.

Midfielder Linus Sjoberg's 60th minute strike proved the only consolation for IK Sirius FK.

Attendance: 5,721

Thursday, July 18, 2019

Botev (Plovdiv) grab deserved win

Botev (Plovdiv) 3-2 Helsingborgs IF (Europa League 2nd Qual. Round)

A warm summer's evening at Hristo Botev saw Botev (Plovdiv) come out on top against a surprisingly lacklustre Helsingborgs IF side.

Striker Tsenko Mikov got Botev (Plovdiv) off to a flyer by scoring a fierce shot on 7 minutes. Midfielder Magnus Haglund then equalised for Helsingborgs IF in the 23rd minute with a tidy finish from 10 metres.

Then followed controversy as Botev (Plovdiv) were denied claims by experienced midfielder Lazar Cordasic for a penalty. Winger Yuliyan Ivanov put Botev (Plovdiv) in front in the 36th minute with an incisive finish from 16 metres.

It was a superb solo effort and Ivanov looked delighted. Haglund equalised for Helsingborgs IF in the 38th minute with an accurate finish.

Experienced midfielder Heverton then clinched a late winner on 84 minutes with a close range header. With Helsingborgs IF staring at defeat, there was controversy as striker Vladica Bajic then had a penalty shout turned down.

Player of the Match: Magnus Haglund (Helsingborg)

Attendance: 11,752

Sunday, July 21, 2019

Angelholm hold out for draw

Angelholms FF 0-0 Helsingborgs IF (First Division Elite)

One of the league's best defences continued their first form as Angelholm shared the spoils with Helsingborg on a warm summer's afternoon at Anglavallen.

The first noteworthy incident of the match proved to be controversial, with Angelholms FF seeing a goal disallowed.

Helsingborg had a number of attempts at goal but their profligacy meant they didn't score as many as they maybe would have liked.

Player of the Match: Gabriel Somi (Helsingborg)

Attendance: 1,901

Thursday, July 25, 2019

Helsingborg in control as Kanarchetata are brushed aside

Helsingborgs IF 2-1 Botev (Plovdiv) (Europa League 2nd Qual. Round)

Botev (Plovdiv's defeat against Helsingborg on a fine summer's evening at Olympia saw a number of players continue their ever-present runs for Kanarchetata this season.

Things did not get off to a good start for Botev (Plovdiv) as winger Samir Selimovic seized on an error by Dragomir Mihaylov to score a weak effort. Experienced striker Jakob Orlov doubled Helsingborgs IF's lead with a placed shot on 39 minutes.

Striker Tsenko Mikov's 53rd minute strik proved the only consolation for Botev (Plovdiv). It was a superb solo effort and Mikov looked delighted.

Helsingborg win the tie on away goals.

Player of the Match: Magnus Haglund (Helsingborg)

Attendance: 9,449

Sunday, July 28, 2019

Helsingborg fail to make chances pay

Helsingborgs IF 1-1 Osters IF (First Division Elite)

A potentially serious injury suffered by Helsingborg's Diego Antonio Manzano overshadowed events on what was a fine summer's afternoon at Olympia.

Striker Loan Lijegren gave Osters IF the lead with a tap-in in the 17th minute. It was a superb solo effort and Lijegren looked delighted. Centre-back Sandeep Mankoo equalised for Helsingborgs IF after 85 minutes with a good header from just inside the six-yard box.

Better late than never for Helsingborgs IF and the fans were clearly delighted with Mankoo's impact.

Player of the Match: Loan Liljegren (Oster)

Attendance: 5,748

[b]Swedish First Division Elite (through 18 of 30 rounds[/b]
1. HELSINGBORG	45
2. Atvidaberg	37
------------------
3. Trelleborg	32
------------------
4. Varnamo	30
5. Landskrona	28
6. Brage	26
7. Syrianska FC	25 (-1)
8. Falkenberg	25 (-3)
9. Angelholm	24
10.Jonkopings S	23
11.Sirius	22
12.Brommapojka.	20
------------------
13.Degerfors	19
14.Syrianska	16
------------------
15.Forward	13
16.Oster	9

So a tough July ends with us still on top in the league, and through to the next round of the Europa League.

I'm pleased enough as we've done it without our starting goalkeeper who went down with a shoulder injury before the Sirius match. The backup has been a little shaky, but good enough for the most part.

My decision to adopt a 4-4-1-1 in the first leg against Botev may have been a poor one, but the scouting report said they'd had trouble against it. Despite the defeat, the 2 away goals proved a lifesaver.

(annoyingly, I'd actually won the second leg 4-0, only to suffer a runtime error when I went to gaze at the highlights again having not saved)

I've been rotating players to deal with our Europa League commitment. We looked exceptionally flat against bottom side Oster and I needed to bring some of the regulars off the bench just to rescue a point. Fortunately, they'll have 3 days to rest up from their short appearances.

The third round will be another tricky matchup for us, as we get Danish Cup winners Nordsjaelland. They finished 3rd in the Danish league last season, so we'll have our work cut out for us to get to the playoff round.

Thursday, August 1, 2019

Helsingborg show class to upstage FC Nordsjaelland

Football Club Nordsjaelland 0-1 Helsingborgs IF (Europa League 3rd Qual. Rnd)

FC Nordsjaelland's defeat against Helsingborg on a fine summer's evening at Farum Park saw a number of players continued their ever-present runs for Tigerne this season.

With the game nearing an end, it was Jakob Orlov who scored a nice effort from 14 metres to give Helsingborgs IF the lead on 84 minutes.

Helsingborg were carved open a number of times but despite the ability of their opponents to create chances, they struggled to put them away.

Player of the Match: Fredrik Strandberg (Helsingsborg)

Attendance: 7,172

Sunday, August 4, 2019

BP battle for victory

IF Brommapojkarna 2-1 Helsingborgs IF (First Division Elite)

One of the league's worst defences put in one of their best performances of the season as Brommapojkarna defeated Helsingborg on a fine summer's afternoon at Grimsta IP.

Bajic had no trouble in scoring from the spot when GUnnarsson conceded a penalty. Helsingborgs IF also saw their 26th minute strike questionably chalked off.

Sweden Under 21s captain Lindus Landgren then equalised for IF Brommpojkarna in the 70th minute with a header. Midfielder Mohamed Bah then clinched a late winner on 88 minutes with a tidy finish from 16 metres.

Bah's imapct delighted the fans with his late goal.

Player of the Match: Linus Landgren (Brommapojkarna)

Attendance: 1,713

Thursday, August 8, 2019

Helsingborg fans celebrate unexpected win

Helsingborgs IF 4-0 Football Club Nordsjaelland (Europa League 3rd Qual. Round)

FC Nordsjaelland's defeat against Helsingborg on a fine summer's evening at Olympia saw a number of players continue their ever-present runs for Tigerne this season.

Centre-back Joseph Baffo gave Helsingborgs IF the lead with a powerful close range header in the 23rd minute. An error from Football Club Nordsjaelland's Leon Jessen allowed Helsingborg captain Ferjani Sassi to score a good diving header from close range. Krogh Gerson scored with an incisive finish from 15 metres in the 61st minute to extend the lead further.

Striker Vladica Bajic completed the rout with a close range effort on 76 minutes.

Helsingborg therefore win 5-0 on aggregate.

Player of the match: Ferjani Sassi (Helsingborg)

Attendance: 9,673

Sunday, August 11, 2019

Vintage display ensures Helsingborg victory

Landskrona BoIS 0-1 Helsingborgs IF (First Division Elite)

Helsingborgs IF taught Landskrona BoIS a lesson at Landskrona IP this afternoon.

Journeyman goalkeeper Iva Vazgec showed a sign of things to come though as he nearly gifted Helsingborgs IF a goal on 72 minutes. Helsingborgs IF finally took the lead when experienced striker Jakob Orlov scored a close range effort on 73 minutes.

Helsingborg had a number of attempts at goal but their profligacy meant they didn't score as many as they maybe would have liked.

Player of the Match: Ferjani Sassi (Helsingborg)

Attendance: 4,913

Saturday, August 17, 2019

Helsingborg hammer Skiljebo

Skiljebo SK 0-3 Helsingborgs IF (Swedish Cup 2nd Rnd)

Skiljebo enjoyed a considerable size advantage, weighing on average 22 lbs more per player, but were unable to overcome their shorter opponents, perhaps proving that on a fine summer's evening at Hamre IP at least, brains are more important than brawn.

Experienced goalkeeper Bujar Avdijaj showed a sign of things to come though as he nearly gifte Helsingborgs IF a goal on 25 minutes. Helsingborgs IF finally took the lead when centre-back Danny Ervik scored a well timed finish from close range on 56 minutes.

Helsingborg captain Ferjani Sassi doubled Helsingborgs IF's lead with a free kick from the edge of the area on 73 minutes. An error from Skiljebo SK's Ivan Forlin allowed experienced striker Jakob Orlov to score a well timed finish from close range.

Player of the Match: Ferjani Sassi (Helsingborg)

Attendance: 405

Thursday, August 22, 2019

Helsingborg provide no shocks

FC Girondins de Bordeaux 4-0 Helsingborgs IF (Europa League playoff)

FC Girondins Bordeaux's victory over Helsingborg on a fine summer's evening at Stade Chaban-Delmas saw a number of players continue their ever-present runs for Les Girondins this season.

Things did not get off to a good start for Helsingborgs IF as striker Innocent Emeghara seized on an error by Linus Muller to score a fine header from point-blank range. Emeghara added his 2nd goal of the game with a deftly executed finish on 36 minutes.

Sacko scored with a deftly executed finish from close range in the 64th minute to extend the lead further. When Ervik gave away a penalty, Emeghara confidently stepped up to score from the spot.

Player of the Match: Innocent Emeghara (Girondins Bordeaux)

Attendance: 23,414

Sunday, August 25, 2019

Helsingborg fail to make chances pay

Helsingborgs IF 0-0 Trelleborgs FF (First Division Elite)

Goal-friendly Trelleborg drew 0-0 against Helsingborg on a fine summer's afternoon at Olympia.

Helsingborg were often prevented from playing as they wanted to due to the number of fouls committed by their enthusiastic opponents.

Player of the Match: Fredrik Liverstam (Trelleborg)

Attendance: 7,775

Thursday, August 29, 2019

Helsingborg victory not enough

Helsingborgs IF 5-1 FC Girondins de Bordeaux (Europa League playoff)

FC Girodins de Bordeaux's fans were left stupefied after their team slumped to a miserable defeat at the hands of Helsingborgs IF. The highlight of the game was undoubtedly a superb hat-tric from Helsingborg's Jakob Orlov.

Midfielder Hadi Sacko got FC Girondins de Bordeaux off to a flyer by scoring a powerful close range effort on 7 minutes. Defensive midfielder Lars Christian Krogh Gerson then equalised for Helsingborgs IF in the 11th minute with a fierce shot.

Centre-back Joseph Baffo put Helsingborgs IF in front in the 29th minute with a good header from just inside the six-yardbox. Orlov scored with a well timed finish from close range in the 31st minute to extend the lead further.

Orlov added his 2nd goal of the game with an incisive finish from 17 metres on 33 minutes. Orlov completed the rout on 74 minutes with a well timed finish from close range.

Despite the result, Girondins Bordeaux win the tie on away goals.

Player of the Match: Jakob Orlove (Helsingborg)

Attendance: 9,673

[b]Swedish First Division Elite (through 22 of 30 rounds)[/b]
1. HELSINGBORG*	49
2. Atvidaberg*	42
------------------
3. Brage	36
------------------
4. Falkenberg	34
5. Trelleborg	33 (+8)
6. Varnamo	33 (+4)
7. Syrianska	32
8. Landskrona	31
9. Jonkopings S	30
10.Angelholm	28 (+3)
11.Brommapojka.	28 (-7)
12.Sirius	27
------------------
13.Degerfors	26
14.Forward	19
------------------
15.Syrianska IF	17
16.Oster	13

* - 21 games played

He doesn't know it's a damn show! He thinks it's a damn fight!

So a grueling month comes to an end with us still topping the table and now able to turn our attentions to the league campaign.

We've mostly been treading water in the league as we rotated the squad to deal with our European campaign. Fortunately Atvidaberg haven't been able to take advantage of our divided attention.

We were able to cruise past Danish Cup winners Nordsjaelland and set up a playoff round matchup against French side Bordeaux. Being unseeded didn't help, as it meant we were looking at a difficult matchup against somebody (maybe Hapoel Tel-Aviv would have more our level)

I tried to play conservative in France, but the Ligue 1 side was just better than us in all facets of the game (they have one player valued at $30M. That may be more than my entire first-team squad). Mistakes that we could get away with in Sweden were ruthlessly punished here.

Before the home leg I cheekily queued up "Going the Distance" from the Rocky soundtrack. And hell if we didn't put in a Rocky-like performance. We conceded the goal early that put us down 5-0 on aggregate, so I decided we might as well have a go. Managed to level the scoreline as my dog-tired players put in an incredibly brave performance. We were needing to win the game 6-1 to get through to the group stage, but alas we couldn't complete the epic comeback.

I can't complain though.

Morale is a little wobbly at the moment, probably because our small squad is just gassed, but we'll have Forward away next, followed in midweek by title challengers Atvidaberg at home. That's a match that had to be pushed back twice because of the Swedish Cup and our Europa League playoff. Just need the players to summon up one more effort, and we can have the title all but wrapped up.

Archived