Sports Interactive Community
Johnnyhugs

Game difficulty levels.

Easy mode should be added to the game.  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Easy mode should be added to the game.

Do you think there should be game difficulty levels for the game?

( I mean just two, Regular and easy mode )

There are a lot of new comers and have no idea what's happening or not like football freak like most of us...

Maybe they just want to play and lead their small teams to victory and be happy.

Choosing your experience when creating your manager is basically setting the difficulty level, at least the initial difficultly. If you want an easier game, set yourself as International Footballer.

Also for a far less complex and quicker running game you now have FMC, probably the ideal way for newcomers and non football freaks as you put it :) to cut their teeth.

FMC is "easy" mode as it takes out a lot of extra work.

FM games will never have true mode settings as you can do it yourself in one of three ways.

1. Choose a team with a big reputation and play as them (relative to the league you want to play in or world wide)

2. Set your manager starting reputation. (international footballer, automatic reputation etc)

3. Edit your chosen club to have a larger reputation.

Choosing your experience when creating your manager is basically setting the difficulty level, at least the initial difficultly. If you want an easier game, set yourself as International Footballer.

This is true

There are lots of things that can make the game easier already. The editor obviously, re-loading games obviously, but also re-starting, using tactics or good players guides here and lots more like that. The problem is in making the game harder as you can't undo any of those advantages and the long-term AI is improving but nowhere near human level.

I'm not sure changing reputations should make the job easier or difficult. A low-reputation manager would be more likely to be forgiven for being naive. Indeed, some boards might not mind low-reputation managers with promise because they are cheap and have everything to prove. By contrast, a high-reputation manager should be forgiven less but will have access to better players and command more respect. So I don't know if they can be considered easier or harder - just "different".

The same goes for the reputation of the club - being Real Madrid manager is about as cut-throat and difficult as you can get, as demonstrated by the fact that even The Special One's job security in real-life isn't great. But at FC Boring, predicted to finish mid-table in the Mundane League, such pressures don't exist. It is why the best managers go to the best clubs. You could argue the difficulty should actually be in reverse - it should be harder at top clubs, and easier at smaller clubs.

As for difficulty levels, I'm more or less torn. It would be a great way to introduce new users to the series, and could provide a challenge for more dedicated players in the same way that a difficult chess AI looks ahead more moves than a human player for better tactics. On the other hand, I don't know how it can be done without looking out-of-place somewhat.

I don't think making the AI / ME / TC easier and harder would be a good thing, but perhaps on easy mode make the feedback a lot more direct to help new players learn how to spot tactical flaws. Not only gives younger players and players who don't care for tactics more enjoyment with whatever team they fancy but also means they will learn how to spot when to use that same tactical advice in other games when they step up difficulty.

Making the game have 2 difficulty levels in the traditional sense would be a nightmare I think

Shouldn't all games aspire to one day not need difficulty levels by rubber banding?

Instead, shouldn't the underlying system be so good that opting in/out of certain features will offer a more or less demanding/complex game? The key is to give human managers more reliable and resourceful AI staff.

I'm not sure changing reputations should make the job easier or difficult. A low-reputation manager would be more likely to be forgiven for being naive. Indeed, some boards might not mind low-reputation managers with promise because they are cheap and have everything to prove. By contrast, a high-reputation manager should be forgiven less but will have access to better players and command more respect. So I don't know if they can be considered easier or harder - just "different".

While your expectations will be slightly harder, overall you have to do a pretty bad job to get the sack.

Having a higher reputation makes players react better to you Team Talks and Team Meetings, they will also be more motivated to play for you. You'll also have a better chance to sign higher profile players that otherwise wouldn't even talk to you. Same with Staff. And your club is more likely (providing they can afford it) to give you a higher transfer and wage budget and the Chairmen will give in to more of your demands. All of this gives you a bigger advantage at the start of the game, providing you utilize them, compared to starting at Sunday League level.

Its the worst difficulty level in the world.

It expires over time and dictates what level you have to manage at initially..

Its the worst difficulty level in the world.

It expires over time and dictates what level you have to manage at initially..

How is it the worst?

Players in all but the very top teams will do as you say and respond positively to your man management because of your high rep.

For the reasons I listed no other game I know of has a hard difficulty setting that reverts to normal over time. FM has, start with Sunday league rep and a big team to make the game harder if you do well your rep goes up and the game gets easier.

If there was an option to fix your rep at Sunday league level and never have it increase, it could be considered to be a valid "skill level". But since its dynamic and increases the better you do, thereby making the game easier over time, its exactly what whilewolf described it as.

As for easy mode. The game is permanently in easy mode anyway. Its only people who make it hard for themselves by over complicating things that think otherwise.

For the reasons I listed no other game I know of has a hard difficulty setting that reverts to normal over time. FM has, start with Sunday league rep and a big team to make the game harder if you do well your rep goes up and the game gets easier.

Not if you win and succeed, which is assisted by the rep boost to begin with.

Not the way you put it. Yes this way:

I know difficulty settings have been floated around FM a lot, and I for one am totally against them in terms of making the engine easier and harder - but what about a difficulty setting which doesn't make the AI/ME harder or easier, but instead, gives more feedback (and gives greater hints to what could give you greater success) on easier settings.

So the current game would be 'hard', so it wouldn't effect the lovers - and 'medium' and 'easy' would give more clear-cut and accurate feedback. Not only would that give people who just want to piddle around with random tactics a greater enjoyment it would also serve to help teach them about how to spot when things need changing in different circumstances?

Just a thought.

This is a very good idea! Often my assistant manager (and now instant result) does a better job than me, so obviously the game has something to teach me about leading a match. An option for some more blatant tips would be welcome.

In one word... No.

One thing i think SI should invest a little bit more of their time is in making better tutorials, in particulary tutorials about the majors aspects of the game: tactics, training (tough training as become much more simplier this year).

The truth is, if tou can build a good tactic in FM, the game will be very enjoyable and not very hard. If you can't build a good tactic it can be the most frustrating game you hever play.

SI should make a "i dont know **** about football but i want to built a tactic" tutorial. with perhaps small videos showing how your team would play if you choose this formation, or that particulary type of pass or closing down.

No. It exists in manager reputation already, and as I've found out to my cost this year already, is actually quite effective.