Help with a 4-2-3-1 deep!

I am looking to use the 4-2-3-1 deep formation with my Chelsea team, with the idea to have a solid base from which the '3' Oscar, Hazard and Mata can have freedom to play (like IRL). However I seem to be struggling with getting the tactic to work effectively - can somebody advise on player roles and tactics and also team tactics to get the most out of this formation? Thanks!

I so can sense Cleon coming to close the thread, but before that. Have you tried the forum search? Have you read the SI sports centre thread? Could you be more specific about the problems you're facing? Could you give more on the roles and duties you've given to your players?

-SnUrF

I am looking to use the 4-2-3-1 deep formation with my Chelsea team, with the idea to have a solid base from which the '3' Oscar, Hazard and Mata can have freedom to play (like IRL). However I seem to be struggling with getting the tactic to work effectively - can somebody advise on player roles and tactics and also team tactics to get the most out of this formation? Thanks!

1. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/316546-Orphaned-by-Reus-Settling-a-tactic-for-2012-2013-Gladbach?p=8121054&viewfull=1#post8121054

2. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/311997-An-Insight-to-my-Tenerife-team

3. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/289528-The-SI-Sports-Centre-All-You-Need-To-Know-About-FM?p=7829981&viewfull=1#post7829981

I'm actually using the "in game" 4-2-3-1 deep tactic, with a couple of very minor tweaks and so far in my two saves(Man City and West Ham) its been fantastic.

The only issue i have in my West Ham save is that i struggle more against the weaker teams and have already had great and deserved wins against Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal. Its not a big issue so far and hopefully things will work out.

Good luck

I so can sense Cleon coming to close the thread, but before that. Have you tried the forum search? Have you read the SI sports centre thread? Could you be more specific about the problems you're facing? Could you give more on the roles and duties you've given to your players?

-SnUrF

The biggest problem I have is scoring. I lack as an attacking threat. I play Hazard wide left as an inside forward, Mata central as a trequartista and Oscar wide right as an advanced playmaker all with attack mentality. Torres or Sturridge are upfront and I have tried both as advanced forwards and poachers. I have also tried playing a more balanced style of play, and a fluid attacking style. We are creating barely any chances per game even at home to weak opposition.

The biggest problem I have is scoring. I lack as an attacking threat. I play Hazard wide left as an inside forward, Mata central as a trequartista and Oscar wide right as an advanced playmaker all with attack mentality. Torres or Sturridge are upfront and I have tried both as advanced forwards and poachers. I have also tried playing a more balanced style of play, and a fluid attacking style. We are creating barely any chances per game even at home to weak opposition.

Maybe your players are isolated because you gave whole front four an attack duty... Different forward runs from different areas should improve ball circulation.

Try something like this:

Cech (GK) - GK/D

Ivanovic (DR) - FB/D

David Luiz (DCr) - CB/X (CB/D against two strikers)

Terry (DCl) - CB/C (CB/D against two strikers)

A.Cole (DL) - WB/A

Obi Mikel (DMCL) - DLP/D

Ramires/Lampard (DMCR) - DM/S

Hazard (AML) - IF/S

Mata/Oscar (AMC) - AP/A

Moses/Ramires (AMR) - W/A

Torres/Sturrigde (FC) - P/A

Whats your opinion in having 4-2-3-1 deep with an AMC support duty or Trequartista and 2 DMC (DLP/S and DM/D) with no forward runs? Can be good for possession?

AP/S is better option for possession as he is more conservative with his passes. No forward runs from DMC position can be overrided with 'exploit middle' shout and should work well with TQ (mixed forward runs for DMCs and AMC).

Kamil-S thank you. If i put both DMC's with mixed forward runs, they'll act as MC's when attacking right?

In this ME version DMCs act like MCs generally (in my opinion) but they play deeper (you can compare average position maps). However their starting position is still DMC so even with mixed/often runs they drop to DMs when AI has ball. If you really want them to play in MC positional area thieir runs should be often because mixed is somewhere between MC and DMC on position map.

Archived