I am serious! And don't call me Chorley.

SnakeXe

Crocked.png

Awful news. We're light in central midfield as it is, and as he's 32 it's unlikely he'll come back in a similar condition. Gutting as he was having his best season for us this year. Oh well, got a fresh bunch of untested young'uns to take his place I suppose...

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another Magpies youth challenge :D

Great stuff!

As everyone's said, you've done brilliantly to get this far - surviving the first few seasons is definitely the hardest bit. I got relegated pretty early on, but it doesn't mean its over even if it does happen.

The problem is that players can manage to stay in the team until they're 32-33, so you can be playing at the same level with the same facilities for 16 years before you reach the pinnacle of your team's capabilities. The consequence of that is that every time your facilities are improved, you've got to wait 16 years, or more, to reap the full benefits, which can mean playing for a ridiculous length of time considering even after 20 years you probably won't have maxed out the facilities. Best of luck, I'll be following closely.

Crocked.png

Awful news. We're light in central midfield as it is, and as he's 32 it's unlikely he'll come back in a similar condition. Gutting as he was having his best season for us this year. Oh well, got a fresh bunch of untested young'uns to take his place I suppose...

That's really unlucky! I haven't seen anyone 'do' their cruciate in FM for a long while. As you say, though, it will give an opportunity to a youngster to shine, and it's not as if you'll be fighting off relegation this season anyway, so a few iffy results won't be too much of a disaster.

March 2016

MarRes.png

MarTbl.png

We started with a fairly routine win over already-relegated Lowestoft, but I would have preferred a better winning margin. Three 1-1 draws in a row followed, of varying quality. Given each fixture in isolation I'd have been happy with a draw, but given how close we came to winning against both Telford and Worcester (particularly the latter), it's annoying to not win any of them. The final match this month was a very disappointing defeat against Boston. We dominated the play and created numerous chances but our finishing once again let us down, and we managed to concede a last minute equaliser despite the momentum being completely behind us having equalised just 10 minutes earlier and searching for a winner. Our slim playoff chance is probably gone, but I'd like to try and get a top-half finish if possible.

Another Magpies youth challenge :D

Great stuff!

As everyone's said, you've done brilliantly to get this far - surviving the first few seasons is definitely the hardest bit. I got relegated pretty early on, but it doesn't mean its over even if it does happen.

The problem is that players can manage to stay in the team until they're 32-33, so you can be playing at the same level with the same facilities for 16 years before you reach the pinnacle of your team's capabilities. The consequence of that is that every time your facilities are improved, you've got to wait 16 years, or more, to reap the full benefits, which can mean playing for a ridiculous length of time considering even after 20 years you probably won't have maxed out the facilities. Best of luck, I'll be following closely.

Relegation would be the end for me since I don't have any playable leagues available below the Blue Square Regionals!

That's very true - I hadn't even thought of it that way to be honest. This is going to take ages! Kind of a good thing though, better than just waltzing up the leagues, winning the Champions League within 10-15 seasons and having nothing left to prove by 20.

That's really unlucky! I haven't seen anyone 'do' their cruciate in FM for a long while. As you say, though, it will give an opportunity to a youngster to shine, and it's not as if you'll be fighting off relegation this season anyway, so a few iffy results won't be too much of a disaster.

Yeah I haven't had one in a while - I think I had a centreback knack one on FM11, but I don't remember one happening at all on my FM12 save.

I am quite tempted to just throw a whole load of youngsters in for the remaining fixtures, given we're all but mathematically safe, and very unlikely to make the playoffs, but I would also like to finish as high as possible to be honest.

Relegation would be the end for me since I don't have any playable leagues available below the Blue Square Regionals!

That's very true - I hadn't even thought of it that way to be honest. This is going to take ages! Kind of a good thing though, better than just waltzing up the leagues, winning the Champions League within 10-15 seasons and having nothing left to prove by 20.

Thing is, the club will likely be promoted again the season after, so you can always have another stab as a fresh manager.

And yeah, it's a very different kind of challenge to the normal ones, but the players become such a big deal - especially when they're past it. You could replace them with a whole variety of top-club rejects, but instead they stick around and potentially play in every league (however undeserved that may be)

One of the things I don't like much about FM is how you can sometimes dump an entire squad in a transfer window - this turns all that on its head.

Thing is, the club will likely be promoted again the season after, so you can always have another stab as a fresh manager.

And yeah, it's a very different kind of challenge to the normal ones, but the players become such a big deal - especially when they're past it. You could replace them with a whole variety of top-club rejects, but instead they stick around and potentially play in every league (however undeserved that may be)

One of the things I don't like much about FM is how you can sometimes dump an entire squad in a transfer window - this turns all that on its head.

Yeah that's true, didn't think of that.

Absolutely agree with that, the turnover in order to progress up the leagues quickly really makes the squad lack identity. I always try and evolve my squad rather than completely tear it up and start again, but taking it to this extreme should make things really interesting. One thing I missed from my journeyman save last year was the attachment to certain players. I'll always remember Maciulevicius and Junior Andrade, but not like Jose Vega, Filippo Vitone or Rene Kooiman from my Messina save the year before.

April 2016

AprRes.png

AprTbl.png

The St. Neots scum restablished their disgusting green bogey-like quality, destroying us 3-1 in the first match of the month, but we quickly bounced back to beat Hednesford comfortably 3-1 in the next match. A solid 0-0 against title challenging Droylsden was a decent result, but losing 3-2 considering the balance of the play and the timing of our equaliser to make it 2-2 - let's just say it's a traversty we didn't get anything from the game. Like last season we managed to raise ourselves for a strong finish in the last game though, beating Marine 2-1 with a late goal from Wilkinson adding to Tierney's opener. Top half finish, lovely!

Chorley_fc.png

SnakeXe's Career - Season 3 - 2015/16

Story of the Season:

Blue Square North - 10th

A far better season overall, briefly making a flirtation with a playoff challenge and never looking behind ourselves for too long.

FA Cup - 3rd Qualifying Round (lost v Prescot (A))

Slightly less so, but still terrible.

FA Trophy - 1st Round Replay (lost v Altrincham PA (A))

No shame in going out to a side from the division above, especially having taken them to a replay.

Squad

We're slowly haemorrhaging depth in terms of senior players, but some of the academy graduates are starting to make significant inroads. I'm tipping Ross Mason to make big strides next season after a couple of barnstorming performances following Walmsley's cruciate knack.

Finances

Somehow our expenditure increased with a lower wage budget. At least we made a little more revenue to compensate, but it's a drop in the ocean compared to the losses we're making. The board have asked me to cut the wage bill by £800p/w for next season, which will help, but we'd still make a giant loss.

5 Most Important Players:

5. Liam Wilkinson - MRL - Finally starting to deliver on his talent.

4. Dominick Pritchard - AMRL/ST - Growing into his role as Kilheeney's mail foil.

3. Andrew Teague - DRC/DM/MC - Slightly worse than last season, but still our most important defender.

2. Kieran Walmsley - DR/MC - Was having his best season for us by miles until his cruciate gave up. That's probably his career all but finished, unfortunately.

1. Ciarán Kilheeney - ST - Top scorer for the third straight season. I'm using him in a more withdrawn role as his explosiveness declines, but it didn't affect his goalscoring.

Academy Watch:

Intake

Plenty of names to watch here, but no-one quite on the level of Tierney this time.

YP0 - Dominick Pritchard - AMRL/ST

As stated did a good job of filling in for Kilheeney when he was injured, still very raw though.

YP1 - Daniel Jones - DR

Our whole defence suffered a bit of a drop in their performance due to the more attacking emphasis of the team this year, and Jones was no different. Finished the season strongly though, and will challenge Ross for the number 2 jersey next season.

YP2 - Kieran Tierney - ST

One game-winning hattrick asside didn't do masses, but he's developing at a decent rate and will find consistency over the coming seasons.

YP3 - Mark O'Neill - ST

The first designated YP not to make his debut the season he came through the academy under my regime, but that was due to injury. I have to admit I'm not hopeful about this guy though, he just doesn't have the attributes to be a striker. Will have to progress rapidly and significantly if he's going to make it with us.

History:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season  | League               | Pos  | CL     | EL     | FAC    | LC     | JPT    | FAT    | Notes                  |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2013/14 | Blue Square North    | 18th | -      | -      | 3QR    | -      | -      | 3QR    | -                      |
| 2014/15 | Blue Square North    | 18th | -      | -      | 2QR    | -      | -      | 3QR    | -                      |
| 2015/16 | Blue Square North    | 10th | -      | -      | 3QR    | -      | -      | R1     | -                      |

Next Season:

I'm really happy with this season's performance, so hopefully we can at least match that top-half finish. I'd like to see our goals against column look a little less bloated if possible as well. I don't think we're far off a play-off challenge, which I didn't think I'd be saying at the start of the season!

Much better season dude :thup:.

Cheers mate!

Big improvement this season.

Personally I would be happy with another top half finish next season. Playoffs might just be out of your reach although I hope you prove me wrong.

Yeah I definitely would be happy with a similar season, get another year of development out of the youths, keep consolidating. If we did reach the playoffs I wouldn't be desperate for us to win them yet, let's put it that way!

Chorley_fc.png

SnakeXe's Career - Season 4 Preseason Update

Board Expectations:

Blue Square North - Mid-table (minimum of Mid-table, predicted 12th out of 22)

FA Cup - Fourth Qualifying Round

FA Trophy - First Round

My Expectations:

Blue Square North - I'll aim slightly higher than the board and go for a reprise of the top-half finish

FA Cup - I would love to actually meet expectations in this for once

FA Trophy - Still not at all bothered

Budgets:

Transfer: £0 (£0 remaining)

Wages: £4,299/week (£4,728/week currently)

Balance: -£573,017 (down £330,405)

Squad:

It's a small one, but hopefully backed up well by the youth team.

Key Men:

Goalkeeper/Defence

Andrew Teague - DRC/DM/MC - Can't look past him for the one man we can't afford to lose.

Midfield

Dale Whitham - D/MC - More than ever we need his leadership and dynamism in the middle.

Liam Wilkinson - MRL/AMR - Continue last season's improvement and he'll be doing well.

Strikers

Ciarán Kilheeney - ST - Almost certainly winding down his career with us now, but we still need a season or two more whilst Prichard and Tierney develop.

August 2016

AugRes.png

AugTbl.png

Safe to say that's not the ideal start. We lead until the 80th minute against Gainsborough before conceding the equaliser, before fortunately managing to hold on to our lead against St. Neots in the next game. We scored within seconds of the kickoff against North Ferriby but couldn't add to it, and somehow ended up losing. I still don't know how. Against Droylsden we had the best of the game, but went behind, before equalising with 10 minutes to play. We went for the win but ended up losing, not even from a counter-attack, which I could have understood, but a speculative 30 yard punt. Great. Blyth was a similar story to Ferriby, we took the lead and ended up losing ridiculously. Workington again we took the lead and went 2-1 down, but this time managed a last-gasp equaliser. Our defence sucks. Our strikers can't put the ball in the net. One of these must change.

Good luck building on last year.

Cheers mate, not going well so far but it's not too bad really, we're playing alright.

Great performance this season. Tough on your right back but, like you said, hopefully he remains with the club in a staff capacity.

Wouldn't sign a contract unfortunately. They should make it more likely ex-players go back to their last club as staff, not one of mine has stayed so far.

I really hope the board's expectation of "mid table" doesn't get you sacked. A poor start to the league may see you sacked which would be very unfair.

"Mid-table" is a pretty broad definition IIRC. I should be ok as long as I'm not in the relegation zone or just outside.

September 2016

SepRes-1.png

SepTbl.png

A slightly better month, but not much. We finally got some luck against Southport, Garner striking the winner in second half injury time from a set-piece. We then played out a dull 0-0 with Vauxhall, before a diabolical performance against Droylsden in the FA Cup. Our best performance of the season so far came in beating Tamworth 2-1 away from home, but as good as we were then we were terrible in losing 4-1 to a Redditch team who were in 20th before we played them. We're suffering badly from injuries and poor fitness - I'll definitely have to look at our pre-season programme a bit more closely next season because we're just completely unfit.

I too just read your whole thread and I have to say, I really enjoyed it! I am myself doing the same kind of challenge too so it's been very interesting to see how things were going on for you. Keep it up!

Sorry to hear about Walmsley, looks like he'll be a big miss. Solid enough start to the new season, hope it goes just as well again.:thup:

Yeah we've really missed having him as an option in midfield this year. Vermiglio has been lamentable so far which means we only really have one senior midfielder who is playing well in Whitham. Ross Mason has done well coming in but obviously being young he needs a rest quite frequently. If Vermiglio was still an option it might be alright, but he's just been useless. 6.5s at best. Would have been nice to be able to blood Mason in place of Vermiglio as 3rd choice this season but it hasn't worked out.

Just read this and you're doing brilliantly.

Cheers mate :)

I too just read your whole thread and I have to say, I really enjoyed it! I am myself doing the same kind of challenge too so it's been very interesting to see how things were going on for you. Keep it up!

That's good to hear! Are you posting updates in ri916's challenge thread?

Much better after worrying start. These youth challenges are really tough.

Yeah absolutely - the next couple of seasons will be really important as Vermiglio and Kilheeney are phased out, then after that Teague and Russell will be getting long in the tooth. I'm hoping to cut the wage bill quite significantly in the next two years or so as well, almost all the original squad players are on far too much for their respective abilities, probably Teague and Cudworth aside.

Very impressive 3rd season.Not done too badly at the start of this season.The league seems pretty close though so a mini winning streak will see you go up the table.

Yeah it's incredibly tight, just needs us to hit upon a winning formula and we'll be right up there. Of course the converse is also true - start losing and we'll plummet!

That's one great intake at level 6 and a decent season.

Cheers Nobby, yeah I've been pleasantly surprised since the first year's intake - and YP1 is proving fruitful from that one still. I think the increase in junior coaching budget I managed to get sorted before the finances went up a famous creek without a paddle has paid dividends.

I do not but I have just started a career thread over here.

I'll be sure to pop in and check it out!

Looks like you need to hope your youth produces a top striker. Just make sure the instructions to the coaches are clear...

Haha absolutely! Although as we have no female staff at the moment I don't think that's a problem.

The very definition of mid-table lol.
Pretty much :)
Mid-table is underated :D

I'm with delta on this one!

Sorry I haven't played much recently - been incredibly busy going to gigs and working and stuff. I've taken this afternoon off to do some online tests for a job I'm applying for, so hopefully if those don't take too long I'll be able to get a month or two rattled off.

October 2016

OctRes.png

OctTbl.png

It's quite obvious from the top screenshot where our problem was this month - just one goal. Fortunately it proved enough for 3 points, which added to the one gained with a clean sheet against Bradford PA means it's not been too disastrous. Losing 1-0 to Harrogate was disappointing, and the Hyde loss was just dire, although not entirely unexpected due to their league position. We're suffering greatly from an injury to Whitham and Vermiglio's continued diabolical form, which means our midfield is completely lightweight. Ross Mason has done as well as could be expected but just doesn't have the fitness to play every week, whilst the other kids coming in have had a much tougher time of it.

See, this is what I love about these challenges. Here's your new prodigy striker, a player who you hope will propel you through the leagues. And he's blessed with 1 for dribbling, 4 for finishing, and 3 for composure. Excellent :D

Good form so far, hope you keep it up!

Haha indeed :D

Cheers, I think we'll be safe from the relegation shakeup, but it's a bit of a transitional season otherwise.

November 2016

NovRes.png

NovTbl.png

Wow what a turnaround! To be honest it's pretty much bang coincident with Whitham's return from injury, so there's no great mystery, but our form has been just excellent since he has returned. Of course you have to mention Tierney as well, who scored in every game bar the final one this month - outstanding form. Kettering battered us easily in the opening game of the month, before Hucknall were very obliging in the FA Trophy qualifying round. Our morale boosted, we put in a great performance to beat Colwyn Bay away from home, before probably the best result of my tenure - 2-0 away from home against BSP Accrington in the FA Trophy 1st Round! Tierney's goal was enough against Worcester, whilst Pritchard took over against Hednesford (whilst Tierney was quite crap - but we'll forgive him that). All that means we've moved back up into the top half, which was my aim at the start of the season.

Ouch...yeah, one goal in four games is an issue.

An issue solved by the form of Tierney :D

Great month there. Maybe a good FA Trophy run on the cards.

Cheers - yeah we're running alright, we'll need another great performance to get through the next round though, it's another BSP team away from home.

Much better in November results :cool:

Best month so far I think!

WowandImeanthat.png

Wow. And I mean that. Just a senstational performance, we completely dominated them all over the park and could have had 2 or 3 more. Tierney and Pritchard are becoming a hell of a partnership!

Edit: We're away against AFC Fylde from outside the playable leagues in the next round. What's the betting we lose to them? :lol:

December 2016

DecRes.png

DecTbl.png

We continued our good form to get a record 6th straight win against Brackley away, Tierney and Pritchard again doing the damage. A slightly disappointing 2-2 away draw against Boston followed, but having twice come from behind we had to view it as a positive result. We then recorded without doubt the best result of my reign - a massive 4-1 thrashing of BSP Macclesfield away from home! Unfortunately the players seemed to take this as a sign to sit back and admire their work, and we lost 3 on the bounce without scoring. If the two away defeats weren't disastrous, the home defeat to Gainsborough was really galling, continuing our stupid tradition of gifting crap teams 3 points at home. Fortunately we got back to winning ways at home against North Ferriby, Tierney ending his mini-drought before an own goal made things sure.

Doing really well except that problem form in Novermber. How could you do that to poor Macclesfield? Their fans go through enough hardship already, get regularly trashed and seemingly never win. :(

Aww, well they're midtable in the BSP so I don't feel sorry for them really!

Archived