Have Amazon screwed me over?

I pre-ordered FM13 from Amazon on the 27th but was emailed yesterday saying the estimated delivery date is next Wednesday. When I load FM13 it still says BETA in the bottom right hand corner so it clearly hasn't updated automatically via Steam.

So am I right in saying that, despite pre-ordering it in time for it to be delivered in time for today, I haven't got access to the code given in the boxed version and so can't upgrade to the full version until Wednesday? Am I also right in saying that, in the meantime, I will lose the game I started in the beta version because it expires on Monday?

I pre-ordered FM13 from Amazon on the 27th but was emailed yesterday saying the estimated delivery date is next Wednesday. When I load FM13 it still says BETA in the bottom right hand corner so it clearly hasn't updated automatically via Steam.

So am I right in saying that, despite pre-ordering it in time for it to be delivered in time for today, I haven't got access to the code given in the boxed version and so can't upgrade to the full version until Wednesday? Am I also right in saying that, in the meantime, I will lose the game I started in the beta version because it expires on Monday?

You will not be able to update to the full version until you get your code from Amazon.

As for the save games, they will not be deleted when the beta expires. Once you update to the full game, you will still be able to load the saves :)

You won't lose the save games. But yes, if your copy does arrive Wednesday, you won't be able to play once the beta finishes on Monday until the game arrives.

Strangely, the item I ordered at the same time arrived yesterday but FM13 won't arrive until Wednesday. When I've pre-ordered in the past it's arrived on the day or even the day before so I can play it on the day.

Are you hearing a similar story from other Amazon customers? Needless to say I won't pre-order from them again.

It will be a CD in a case but it's the code provided with it we need. Until it's delivered though we can't upgrade to the full version. Basically, Amazon's tardiness in delivering it to us means we can't play the game despite pre-ordering it in plenty of time to play on the release day.

Very poor Amazon. Very poor.

What sort of pre-ordering system is that? If that's the case then it isn't made clear when you purchase it. I'll 'pre-order' it in future by walking into HMV on the day of release and buying it over the counter. Other retailers have got it to customers and I'm sure they didn't have to pay additional postage fees in order to get it. I will be using one of those other retailers in future. In the meantime, I will purchase the game from Steam, begin a new game and return the boxed version to Amazon when I receive it on Wednesday.

Amazon can stick their fundamentally flawed 'pre-order' system.

I had harboured hopes of it still being delivered today because, as you say, the orders often arrive sooner than they anticipate. However, I think Amazon orders come with the regular post and it hasn't arrived with that so I assume it won't be here today.

this is RIDICULOUS!! ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!

I ALREADY PAID FOR THE GAME! WHY DOESN'T IT AUTO UPDATE?! If I had access to the BETA it's because I bought it!! Why do I have to wait for the code?!! Estimated delivery of the box is a week from now, so I'm stuck playing BETA for that time even though I already paid for the full game?!!

PRE-ORDER THEY SAID! YOU CAN PLAY THE BETA THEY SAID! IT WILL BE AWESOME!!

SCREW YOU! I'M DEMANDING THE REFUND!

GOOD DAY!

• Administrators

I ALREADY PAID FOR THE GAME! WHY DOESN'T IT AUTO UPDATE?! If I had access to the BETA it's because I bought it!! Why do I have to wait for the code?!! Estimated delivery of the box is a week from now, so I'm stuck playing BETA for that time even though I already paid for the full game?!!

GOOD DAY!

The beta can't update because you need the full game code. If we allowed all betas to update, everyone could have just ordered the game, cancelled their pre-order after getting the code and had a free game. You need to contact your retailer if you're displeased with their delivery methods. Thanks.

The beta can't update because you need the full game code. If we allowed all betas to update, everyone could have just ordered the game, cancelled their pre-order after getting the code and had a free game. You need to contact your retailer if you're displeased with their delivery methods. Thanks.

I realise that but if I want to play it today I can uninstall the beta version (do I have to do this or will it recognise the complete game as a separate game?), purchase FM13 from Steam, install the complete version and then return the boxed copy to Amazon, can't I? I'll just lose the game I started on the beta version.

• Administrators
I realise that but if I want to play it today I can uninstall the beta version (do I have to do this or will it recognise the complete game as a separate game?), purchase FM13 from Steam, install the complete version and then return the boxed copy to Amazon, can't I? I'll just lose the game I started on the beta version.

I don't think uninstalling will help as Steam will still read you as 'owning' the game. If you bought the game via another digital partner and got the code it should work, just not through a Steam purchase until after the beta shuts down on the 5th.

Thank you for the reply! This makes absolute sense and I hadn't thought of it that way!

I apologise for my outburst and will now proceed to redirect my anger towards Amazon!

Good day!!

I pre-ordered from Amazon and got it today.

What estimated delivery date were you given? Did it come with your regular post? If it came separately I might hold fire and wait but if it came with the rest of your post it clearly isn't coming to me today because I've already had mine.

I pre-ordered on the 27th and they say it will arrive on the 7th.

• Administrators
Thank you for the reply! This makes absolute sense and I hadn't thought of it that way!

I apologise for my outburst and will now proceed to redirect my anger towards Amazon!

Good day!!

No worries, hope you manage to get your game soon!

• Administrators
So there's no getting around it. You're saying that until the product comes from Amazon I will only be able to play the beta version.

Unless you want to cancel your amazon order and buy from a digital source (although not Steam as they'll see you as already 'owning' the game), then yes, you'll have to wait.

Unless you want to cancel your amazon order and buy from a digital source (although not Steam as they'll see you as already 'owning' the game), then yes, you'll have to wait.

Ok cool. I guess if I hunt around the website I'll find the digital sources available. Do they update patches automatically like Steam?

We have this every year with Amazon. This is the 6th year in a row they have delivered mine on release day or before. All you have to do to get that is select 'first class' delivery instead of 'free super saver' delivery or whatever its called. People wonder why they don't get it on release day but if you select the free option the estimated delivery time is 3-5 days after dispatch so you can't really complain if you don't get it til next week. First class is admittedly an extra £2 or something but its worth it to get it by release day which they have never failed to do for me.

GOOD DAY!

i'm going to end all my rants with the phrase 'good day' from now on!!

We have this every year with Amazon. This is the 6th year in a row they have delivered mine on release day or before. All you have to do to get that is select 'first class' delivery instead of 'free super saver' delivery or whatever its called. People wonder why they don't get it on release day but if you select the free option the estimated delivery time is 3-5 days after dispatch so you can't really complain if you don't get it til next week. First class is admittedly an extra £2 or something but its worth it to get it by release day which they have never failed to do for me.

I guess so. I've realised today that it's really not worth your while to pre-order from an online retailer such as Amazon though. You either pay for the privilege of getting it on release day or don't get it on release day. I'll definitely order it from another source next year.

My experience with Amazon's First Class option is that it turns up the same time as Super Saver. I stopped paying for the First Class delivery after three games in a row failed to turn up on release day, one didn't even get posted until the day after the game was released, whilst my brother ordered the same games to the same address using Super Saver and they turned up at the same time, except for that one game when it turned up two days earlier :lol:. The only option from Amazon that I would say guarantees a release day delivery is the £6-£7 Expedited option. Amazon have gone down hill as they have been cost cutting (and avoiding tax) to ensure profits.

To be honest I now buy games from wherever it is cheapest and don't worry about it turning up on release day. Places like Shopto might say they guarantee release day delivery but they can't actually guarantee you a game on release day they just compensate you with store credit if it doesn't make it to you on release day.

• Administrators
Ok cool. I guess if I hunt around the website I'll find the digital sources available. Do they update patches automatically like Steam?

The digital versions are activated via Steam and run via Steam. All copies of FM13 have to be activated through Steam, no matter where it's purchased from or whether it's boxed/digital. Thanks.

The digital versions are activated via Steam and run via Steam. All copies of FM13 have to be activated through Steam, no matter where it's purchased from or whether it's boxed/digital. Thanks.

So if I was to purchase it from a digital source other than Steam, I'd still run it through Steam but there wouldn't be the 'already owning the game' issue? Is there a list of suggested digital sources on the sigames website?

I bought mine via amazon and got it today. I think it's updated without me doing a thing - how can i tell?

I understand that in order for it to update from the beta version you'll need to activate the full game on Steam using the code on the back of the manual.

What estimated delivery date were you given? Did it come with your regular post? If it came separately I might hold fire and wait but if it came with the rest of your post it clearly isn't coming to me today because I've already had mine.

I pre-ordered on the 27th and they say it will arrive on the 7th.

I pre-ordered it around the 1st October when they announced the beta thing. Was told I'd get it on the 2nd Nov and I did.

I also got mine from Amazon but it came today! But i've put the disk in and downloaded it, and it still says BETA in the corner. It didn't ask me for my steam code when i downloaded it. Anyone know why this is?

Have you entered the code on the back of the manual?

I spoke to soon it allowed the activation of the code but did not load the game with the error message being time out connection.

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive so I haven't had any installation issues yet! Your problem sounds familiar though - check through the other threads on this forum and see if it's mentioned by anyone else. There might be a solution provided too.

Archived