*Official* Football Manager 2013 Constructive non-ME Feedback Thread

I do actually trade stocks, shares and fx for a living...

I have also been buying and playing the game since cm 97-98 so I have put as much money back into the series as the next fm'er but my point is not that people are criticising or pointing out ways to improve, it is the way they portray these criticisms. I also respect that people have rights to their opinions but it is all about the way they portray them. I was aiming at the select few like Q.P.R who just basically say it's crap with no explanation as to why it's crap...it is suppose to be 'constructive' criticism.

And my mine gripe was the people wanting the game to be released later than it has been which takes away playing time from the people who enjoy the game as it is. You are arguing that people don't get a 'finished' game until February but the reason they get a finished game at all is through constructive criticism (not SI bashing) from multiple players that allow them to improve the game. If the game was released earlier like you say (and I would be in favour of this) then it would be even more buggy at the start but would be updated I suppose before Feb (but my argument was to those who want a later release). If it is released later as a full game it will take just as long to put right but due to a later release will mean that people wait even longer to get the game they want to play.

Also this forum represents the minority of FM players, the hardcore select that take time out of the game to understand it and to write on these forums. There are 10's of thousands of gamers that do not post on these sites that treat the game as is and enjoy no matter what patch is out...

Well said that man.

The people who dont go onto forums looking for bugs and posts about bugs dont notice any real issues with the game, these people are happily playing the game. This is the same argument every year.

Poster 1 - "this is the worst version ever, every forum i go on is full of complaints, this is definitely worse than any previous year, i wonder when SI will finally realise they are going to lose customers"

Poster 2 - "your wrong, the forums only represent a tiny proportion of users"

Kriss - "Its like buying a car......"

Neil Brock - "Rest assured we are working on the bugs guys, its just hard to pull myself off the huge pile of money i sleep on every night"

Miles - "we have made more money than ever this year, thanks for your support guys"

You can rinse and repeat that for the last 4/5 years.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Odd, it's in the same place as FM12? Start a new career game, then select your nations, and on the next screen "new game overview" where you selected which divisions, database size etc, there is an option called "Enable player attribute masking"

Assuming FM not FMC of course, FMC doesn't have the option AFAIK

Now it`s clear... i`ve started always at FMC... now i can see it crystal clear:)

Thanks for your help!

A simply thing that would be a great addition is a button on the agent offers that allows you to say "Don't offer me this player again".

I get sick of clicking through the same agents offers every week and I don't want to filter out the new ones I haven't checked out.

Very true. I have started unemployed a couple of times and keep getting sacked even though I do what they asked me but I of course couldn't do the impossible and achieve something set out at the beginning of what turned out to be a very unsuccessful season.

In my latest save though, I am doing quite well and might actually do what they set out at the beginning. Do you know if they said it's easily fixed and will be so in the next update or will we just have to wait and see?

I wonder as well if this will affect AI managers. So they take over and dont achieve what was set out at the start of the season?

I wonder as well if this will affect AI managers. So they take over and dont achieve what was set out at the start of the season?

That might actually explain the waves of managers getting fired on a several-monthly basis (which I tend to see quite often), I've never thought of that before...

You don't now automatically get the sack for under achieving, I got relegated and was offered a new contract (albeit on a reduced salary)

You don't now automatically get the sack for under achieving, I got relegated and was offered a new contract (albeit on a reduced salary)

I took over a Blackpool squad rooted to the bottom of the championship in January and got sacked for not finishing in the top half of the table. 9 EPL managers also lost their jobs that season.

The biggest problem that is preventing me from a long term save is the board confidence bug when starting unemployed.

I always start unemployed with every save as I feel it adds to the realism.

Unfortunately at the moment despite agreeing a season expectation when taking over a team it always reverts to the objective set at the beginning of the season with the AI manager. This wouldn't be too much of a problem but you're not given any time to turn things around.

For example I've taken over Brighton (23rd) in December with the objective of avoiding relegation. After 10 games I’m 19th after 4 wins, 3 draws and 3 losses.

My job status however is very insecure as the board are very unhappy that we are not in a mid-table position.

This has already been reported to the bugs forum but I’m really hoping they bring out a fix soon as I think this game has the potential to be fantastic once the ME is fixed too.

Anyone got a link for where this has been logged in the Bugs sections please?

Presumably, like previous versions of FM, the match preparation benefits are "temporary" for next game, with general training providing longer term benefits to players attributes. Getting workload levels "right" seems key. Although the overall workload (presumably applying to all players) is indicated in the bottom right hand corner of team screen reflecting general training/intensity and match preparation slider settings, it would be really useful if the training screen for your squad actually showed each players overall workload as well as focus, intensity and performance. Very surprised that this has not/cannot be incorporated. Hopefully SI will consider adding this to avoid having to click on every individual player separately to check on his overall training level.

As it is now, FM is more one-vs-one than ever, especially on long passes and clearances. As soon as the ball leaves the ground 20 players stand around watching in random directions while two random players (one from each team) are chosen to chase it.

Also means there are no proactive interceptions. Take a look at the analysis page to see what the game classes as interceptions - these are invariably either long punts not finding their intended targets or 50/50 challenges. The only way passes are ever cut out is if the ball hits a player who's making a run that meets it's path - but these players never react to the ball and the game doesn't count this as an interception.

The above is why the ME can't have realistic tackling statistics along with realistic gameplay. Tackling is the only proactive way of winning the ball in FM whereas in reality it's pressing in numbers and forcing your opponent into mistakes/cutting out their passes. The latter can't be portrayed in the ME due to its restraints so the former should be set back to be a bit over-powered to compensate.

Tactic gurus, is there any way I can get my players to track runners. Or is this yet another ME failing to go with pressing? Sick and tired of conceding goals due to a simple through ball as A) my midfielders will not press the attacking players and B) because even the most basic run will catch out my CB's as they NEVER track their runners.

This was a serious question btw.

Presumably, like previous versions of FM, the match preparation benefits are "temporary" for next game, with general training providing longer term benefits to players attributes. Getting workload levels "right" seems key. Although the overall workload (presumably applying to all players) is indicated in the bottom right hand corner of team screen reflecting general training/intensity and match preparation slider settings, it would be really useful if the training screen for your squad actually showed each players overall workload as well as focus, intensity and performance. Very surprised that this has not/cannot be incorporated. Hopefully SI will consider adding this to avoid having to click on every individual player separately to check on his overall training level.

You dont, you click on the induvidual tab on the training menu, and you can see what all of your players are set to on one screen.

I have also been buying and playing the game since cm 97-98 so I have put as much money back into the series as the next fm'er but my point is not that people are criticising or pointing out ways to improve, it is the way they portray these criticisms. I also respect that people have rights to their opinions but it is all about the way they portray them. I was aiming at the select few like Q.P.R who just basically say it's crap with no explanation as to why it's crap...it is suppose to be 'constructive' criticism.

And my mine gripe was the people wanting the game to be released later than it has been which takes away playing time from the people who enjoy the game as it is. You are arguing that people don't get a 'finished' game until February but the reason they get a finished game at all is through constructive criticism (not SI bashing) from multiple players that allow them to improve the game. If the game was released earlier like you say (and I would be in favour of this) then it would be even more buggy at the start but would be updated I suppose before Feb (but my argument was to those who want a later release). If it is released later as a full game it will take just as long to put right but due to a later release will mean that people wait even longer to get the game they want to play.

Also this forum represents the minority of FM players, the hardcore select that take time out of the game to understand it and to write on these forums. There are 10's of thousands of gamers that do not post on these sites that treat the game as is and enjoy no matter what patch is out...

I have also played managerial games since 97 like yourself, and that's exactly what keeps me on forums and what drives me to post constructive feedback and criticize, because I love the game and it hurts me when I can't enjoy it.

The greatest problem for me every year, is the match engine because it always seems that they are making it from scratch and full of same flaws every year (goalkeeper bugs, defenders etc.). Since I work in a digital marketing company that makes apps & games I know how many bugs and problems can occur even in smallest memory games let alone FM, however I do believe that after almost 10 years of 3D match in FM, that it could be better established. Once you establish something that is closest to reality as possible, you shouldn't have the need to change it. ME should not be changed at all in my opinion, once you reach the best results. Everything else in the game is not problematic for me, after all the majority of changes every year are just make up. The thing that made me shift from Premier Manager to Championship manager in 2001 was the reality of results and events! That is what made CM 01-02 the best managerial game ever, and that should be the goal for every release.

Every year the match engine changes, and every year users feel cheated because they want the improved game and not something worse than the product they just finished playing.

I took over a Blackpool squad rooted to the bottom of the championship in January and got sacked for not finishing in the top half of the table. 9 EPL managers also lost their jobs that season.

Obviously it'll depend on all sorts of criteria, but it isn't mandatory as it has been in all previous versions.

The greatest problem for me every year, is the match engine because it always seems that they are making it from scratch and full of same flaws every year (goalkeeper bugs, defenders etc.).

Every year the match engine changes, .

You obviously haven't been reading, the ME in FM11 and FM12 was exactly the same one so your second point is incorrect.

It's well documented that the past 2 years have involved a huge rebuild of the ME culminating in this release, so your first point is partly right although the flaws are generally very much not the same as in past years.

A lot of people (fans as well as SI) understand what's going on and are committed to getting this ME up to scratch to start with and then taking it to levels no previous version could have achieved.

I have also played managerial games since 97 like yourself, and that's exactly what keeps me on forums and what drives me to post constructive feedback and criticize, because I love the game and it hurts me when I can't enjoy it.

The greatest problem for me every year, is the match engine because it always seems that they are making it from scratch and full of same flaws every year (goalkeeper bugs, defenders etc.). Since I work in a digital marketing company that makes apps & games I know how many bugs and problems can occur even in smallest memory games let alone FM, however I do believe that after almost 10 years of 3D match in FM, that it could be better established. Once you establish something that is closest to reality as possible, you shouldn't have the need to change it. ME should not be changed at all in my opinion, once you reach the best results. Everything else in the game is not problematic for me, after the majority of changes every year are just make up. The thing that made me shift from Premier Manager to Championship manager in 2001 was the reality of results and events! That is what made CM 01-02 the best managerial game ever, and that should be the goal for every release.

Every year the match engine changes, and every year users feel cheated because they want the improved game and not something worse than the product they just played.

To move forwards you sometimes have to step back. The ME has never been finished, and most likely never ever will be. The one in 12 was good, but by no means perfect and obviously not good enough for Paul and his team to just sit back drinking Mojito's rather than work on it. The ME most definitely needs to change and evolve as much as possible and should never stand still if possible.

Why is it not possible to access your assistant managers feedback before you are starting a match (Pre match information screen).?

This means that you cannot analyse the Pre-Match section of his feedback such as complacency, players who are being cocky during warm-up. This is an important feature in terms of knowing what to say in the individual talks.

The greatest problem for me every year, is the match engine because it always seems that they are making it from scratch and full of same flaws every year (goalkeeper bugs, defenders etc.). Since I work in a digital marketing company that makes apps & games I know how many bugs and problems can occur even in smallest memory games let alone FM, however I do believe that after almost 10 years of 3D match in FM, that it could be better established. Once you establish something that is closest to reality as possible, you shouldn't have the need to change it. ME should not be changed at all in my opinion, once you reach the best results. Everything else in the game is not problematic for me, after the majority of changes every year are just make up. The thing that made me shift from Premier Manager to Championship manager in 2001 was the reality of results and events! That is what made CM 01-02 the best managerial game ever, and that should be the goal for every release.

Every year the match engine changes, and every year users feel cheated because they want the improved game and not something worse than the product they just played.

Yeah I'm not disagreeing with you at all that there is room for improvement (but it does not make it game breaking at all - I'm very much enjoying it. I'm in my 11th season with Workington and in the champs league), it was only those that were not constructive in their criticism who I was referring to. I was playing cm 01-02 just before fm 13 was released as it is a brilliant game but that match engine had to evolve from previous versions as this one will evolve into future versions.

This match engine may not be as good as the final patched engine of 12 but it has the capability of being much better and much more varied (which is what people don't get). How is the game ever to evolve if nothing is changed. People would be complaining just as much if the game had come out with no changes just to be 'safe'. The thing you also have to realise is, is that there were hundreds complaining about 12's match engine on these forums too even after the last patch. And people beat that match engine by playing fast poachers (including me). There are always going to be those who complain no matter what (I did when everything went on to Steam and I vowed never to buy fm 12 because of it - but I did..). I just feel that some of the stick SI have been getting that has not been constructive is unfair. By all means criticise but be concise and constructive in what you say...don't just say it's crap (I'm not accusing you of this btw I just mean generally).

And your final point is exactly my point...every year people feel cheated...should they not have learnt by now that if they are going to be so pedantic about the ME every year that they should wait until the third patch (which a few people do) or at least play the demo before buying the game (also those with beta preorders could cancel their orders before full release if they were that unhappy). They are not forced or made to buy it upon initial release. SI shouldn't have to cater specifically to the long term faithful hardcore players like us (as we are in the minority). Gaming like anything is for the company involved is business and they have a business to run. Admittedly they wouldn't have a business without the fan base but as sales are up year on year so they know what they're doing. And as SI respond and contribute a lot more to discussions than companies like EA do with FIFA and the like (and that is the buggiest game ever every year) they don't in my opinion deserve the stick they are getting over this game.

Hi,

When appointing director of football and letting them get rid of players on your unwanted list, is there a way of stopping them just letting the players go for free? I started a game as Gateshead, and put about 6 people on the unwanted list, and tasked my DoF to be responsible for getting rid of players from that list. The value of the players on the list ranged from £500 - £36k, but I set all as minimum sale value of £1k trying to stop him release them for free. However I then get news items about the players saying they had come to mutual agreement for the release etc.

Surely we need a tick box somewhere in the list to say release for free yes/no??? Lost out on some cash I could have used to buy players with as my transfer budget is £0!!!!

When you pay £30 for anything you expect it to work. You expect a finished product. For example, I don't expect to buy a kettle in November and have the manufacturer send me the plug in February.

SI/SEGA have pocketed a huge slab of revenue collectively from their loyal customers. However when you fail to deliver then expect criticism and expect it in all forms not just the happy kind that resolves it for you.

When you pay £30 for anything you expect it to work. You expect a finished product. For example, I don't expect to buy a kettle in November and have the manufacturer send me the plug in February.

SI/SEGA have pocketed a huge slab of revenue collectively from their loyal customers. However when you fail to deliver then expect criticism and expect it in all forms not just the happy kind that resolves it for you.

FM13 works, it loads, it plays, the only thing you dont like is how the game plays, thats a completely different thing, to use your terrible analogy, it would be like buying a kettle and not liking how long it takes to boil the water.

You dont, you click on the induvidual tab on the training menu, and you can see what all of your players are set to on one screen.

Unfortunately, although this does indeed list all players on one screen it only shows:

Name, Focus, Focus Intensity and Performance, not each players overall workload.

To see individual players overall workload, taking account of general, match preparation and individual focus etc you have to click on each player separately.

My point was that it would be useful if an additional column for overall workload was also included (there is plenty of space).

Unfortunately, although this does indeed list all players on one screen it only shows:

Name, Focus, Focus Intensity and Performance, not each players overall workload.

To see individual players overall workload, taking account of general, match preparation and individual focus etc you have to click on each player separately.

My point was that it would be useful if an additional column for overall workload was also included (there is plenty of space).

Ah apologies!

FM13 works, it loads, it plays, the only thing you dont like is how the game plays, thats a completely different thing, to use your terrible analogy, it would be like buying a kettle and not liking how long it takes to boil the water.

If it works then why does it get patched at all? Loads of the flaws it has today should have been sorted in SAT and UAT.

Clearly this game has been rushed out in time for Xmas before it was ready. Someone at SEGA has made a commercial decision and poor old SI employees are toeing the line in this thread and are doing what they have to i.e. defend the product cause its their job.

p.s. my analogy may not have been great but I'll come back and edit it at a later date with my analogy-patch.

Im sure you know about this feature already, but while watching a highlight the other day on whichever angle is closer to the pitch out of 'sideline' and 'touchline', I absent-mindedly scrolled on my mouse wheel and was pleasantly surprised with how far the camera zoomed in.

Oh ! no, I was not aware about that. I will try in the evening. Cool !!!!!!!!!!

If it works then why does it get patched at all? Loads of the flaws it has today should have been sorted in SAT and UAT.

Clearly this game has been rushed out in time for Xmas before it was ready. Someone at SEGA has made a commercial decision and poor old SI employees are toeing the line in this thread and are doing what they have to i.e. defend the product cause its their job.

p.s. my analogy may not have been great but I'll come back and edit it at a later date with my analogy-patch.

Every single piece of software out there gets patched, every game, even the brand new Halo has had a patch, 3 days after release. Thats the way it works, has done for a long time now.

Ill say it again, the game works, you can play it, unless you encounter a technical fault that is. What you dont like are the mechanics of the game, that is something completely different. The game has been released at the same time every year for the past 4/5 years, thats the schedule they work towards, no exceptions.

People have this deluded opinion that this game would come out perfect it if were held back another month, its just not true. The number of possible playing varients in this game make it next to impossible to test everything, but we as customers and FMers demand this level of compexity. Learn to live with it im afraid, if you dont like the game on release day, dont buy it. I've played every version since the day they were released, i know sometimes i dont get a brilliant first release, but i've never come across anything that would make me put the game down and give up on it.

Can you do it on live match or do you have to wait the next day ?

Thanks.

I have been doing it on live matches, on the default sideline or touchline view. From what I can tell it reverts back to the zoomed out view with each new highlight, and therefore is still far from a dream solution, but I can't be sure.

Ahh but it does work....as proved by thousands..

Exactly this! That's why I said demo it or cancel you pre-order if you didn't like the Beta....

Lol at your P.S! And this again further proves my point. If it is a commercial decision by Sega and SI are 'towing the line' then why criticise them? Why not criticise Sega?

Some people couldn't cancel as the beta key was actually the real key. And once you activate on Steam it's done.

Only those who bought on Steam couldn't cancel it? I thought with everywhere else the pre-order keys were diff? But I may be wrong. It still doesn't mean they had to do it...they could have tried the demo first?

Once again I am frustrated with the ME. The dribbling and pace attributes are overpowered to such an extent that games become just a matter of who has the better dribbler. I can beat teams by a single player and he is no Messi, he is....Nathan Dyer. Guess why? He has Acc and pace 18 and dribbling 15. Please, SI, do something about it, wingers dribble through entire defense time after time. Fullback positioning is terrible, the simply do not block any crosses.

No, I got it from GMG and it was 1 key. You'll get early access on your preorder and will wait for the demo, like that's gonna happen :)

Ahhh right, didn't realise that. SI were pushing the fact that there were 2 seperate keys. Also true about Beta and demo...and I suppose if you got yours from GMG that you paid 19.50 for it? Which is a bargain. At that price no one has a right to complain lol(not that I'm saying you are). I paid full whack 30 for it off Steam so that I knew there would be no code mix up from a distributor and I'm very happy with it.

Once again I am frustrated with the ME. The dribbling and pace attributes are overpowered to such an extent that games become just a matter of who has the better dribbler. I can beat teams by a single player and he is no Messi, he is....Nathan Dyer. Guess why? He has Acc and pace 18 and dribbling 15. Please, SI, do something about it, wingers dribble through entire defense time after time. Fullback positioning is terrible, the simply do not block any crosses.

well I have a winger, farfan with acc 17 and pace 16, dribbling15 and he doesn't do it ..maybe your guy hit the peak form.

well I have a winger, farfan with acc 17 and pace 16, dribbling15 and he doesn't do it ..maybe your guy hit the peak form.

Well, than a lot of players seem to hit their prime in my games. Hazard, Mata, Pablo Hernandéz, Ben Arfa and the list could go on. They all score goals that would be remembered for decades on regular basis. I´d really love to love the game but so much crazyness is going on that I´ll wait for the next ME update and hope that at least fullbacks will do what tey are supposed to do - defend.

Well, than a lot of players seem to hit their prime in my games. Hazard, Mata, Pablo Hernandéz, Ben Arfa and the list could go on. They all score goals that would be remembered for decades on regular basis. I´d really love to love the game but so much crazyness is going on that I´ll wait for the next ME update and hope that at least fullbacks will do what tey are supposed to do - defend.

All of those players you listed maybe with the exception of pablo hernandez do score wonder goals on a regular basis (espoecially Ben Arfa)...watch his goal against us (Bolton) last season where he dribbled from 70-80 yards out and took on our entire team!?

This exactly. SI calling the current state of the ME 'a little rough around the edges' is making me cringe. I feel for SI, they worked on creating a brand new ME for 2 years, and even though it looks promising, it's just not finished. You can call that 'taking one step back', you can also call it selling something that's not finished. All the support in here for SI is good for them, very loyal customers apparently. I used to be one as well. This year around I've told all my friends not to get it before january, which I'll be doing as well for FM14.

All of those players you listed maybe with the exception of pablo hernandez do score wonder goals on a regular basis (espoecially Ben Arfa)...watch his goal against us (Bolton) last season where he dribbled from 70-80 yards out and took on our entire team!?

And does Pablo Hernandez beat world class fullbacks such as Ashley Cole, Leighton Banes or Bacary Sagna 10+ times per game while whipping in perfect crosses? Iam not one of those who would just diss the game, but seriously guys, the fullback defending is a joke. And by the way, Ben Harfa´s goal was stunning but how many times has he done that since? I guess it´s not almost every game. And Iam yet to see guys like Messi or Ronaldo in the game LOL.

And does Pablo Hernandez beat world class fullbacks such as Ashley Cole, Leighton Banes or Bacary Sagna 10+ times per game while whipping in perfect crosses? Iam not one of those who would just diss the game, but seriously guys, the fullback defending is a joke. And by the way, Ben Harfa´s goal was stunning but how many times has he done that since? I guess it´s not almost every game. And Iam yet to see guys like Messi or Ronaldo in the game LOL.

To be fair Ben Arfa scored a goal just as good in the FA Cup a few weeks before. he regularly scores ridiculous goals. As for Pablo Hernandez. At Valencia a few years ago he was a proper quality player. Very quick and put a great ball in too so it doesn't surprise me that he can do it on this game. Nathan Dyer like you mentioned before is all about running at players and beating a man. That's his game but he doesn't have much end product.

I've started playing an anchor man (DM didn't work as well as AM) in front of the defence that just sits and covers the side that the opp attack down and I'm conceding a lot fewer goals than I was when I was playing 442.

Archived