Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

*Official* Football Manager 2013 Constructive non-ME Feedback Thread

Of course it can happen in the top leagues. Do you not remember Peter Encklemens inability to stop a ball with his foot resulting in an embarrassing OG for mellberg direct from a throw?! Even though it shouldn't of counted, it shows that these top professionals in the top leagues can make errors! In this case your goalkeeper may have mis hit his freekick and sliced it with poor technique, it so happened had to land to RvP.

Mistakes by top pros do happen.

How the hell is this even comparable? One is a simple miscontrol in the flow of the game, the other is a GK trying to hit a free kick he shouldn't be taking, 30 yards to the side of his goalpost, with no short option nor a covering defender anywhere near the goal. He might as well hit it into his own net from there.

Look, mistakes are natural and should happen from time to time to anyone. But this is just indefensible in so many ways it's not even funny.

how do you cahnge giving away silly fouls? 3 penalties in the game..come on. scoring 6 goals in 20 minutes after an abysmal 70 minutes? come on. I understand you can explain everything in theory but this was just crazy. I had players on 5's and 6's and suddenly they are ripping Koln appart out of nowhere without me doing absolutely anything?..i didn't even put them on attack ffs!

Random is the way this year it seems.

3 silly penalties? yes... change the aggressive tackling, put the d line up, stay on feet more often shouts... all helps...

But I agree 6 goals is over the top.

Btw, I noticed that using team talks "no pressure today", "enjoy yourself" makes the whole team seem composed and better morale, so I use it all the time.

Btw, I noticed that using team talks "no pressure today", "enjoy yourself" makes the whole team seem composed and better morale, so I use it all the time.
Yep I agree it is a good one in many cases. Can make stronger teams complacent and lazy against weaker teams though. Even the green highlight of 'seems relaxed' might not translate into a better performance.

I first started playing back in 2003 and have bought, and played religiously, each version since. I can't lie, I've had some fallings out with the game before. Once when I forgot to renew Jermaine Defoes contract after he scored goals in a season for me at Arsenal and he ended up leaving. Another when I lost an entire save (9 seasons played) because it crashed whilst saving. Never before though have I stopped playing because the game simply feels unplayable.

For me, the game is just too random. I spent hours over the weekend (25 of them) getting through a season and setting up my team for season two. I work very hard on tactics and getting in good players on a budget such as Fulhams. I got Anderson, Guillermo Burdisso, Kevin Gameiro and Vladimir Weiss. All players who are probably worthy of playing for a team with a higher reputation than Fulham. Regardless of how familiar the team are with my formations or how I adjust my tactics, the outcome can be ridiculous - win 1-0 away at Chelsea, lose 5-1 to Burnley at home, conceed 3 goals within 20 minutes at home to Aston Villa. In older versions, even if I have an amazing team, you will still lose to lesser teams but you can usually understand why - poor tactics, poor morale (or they werent bothered) or missing key players. Maybe the weather had something to do with it. No matter how long I sit tweaking the game now the outcome is just too random to predict which makes me think all the background effort you put in is useless. I've gone back and re-played games again and again with different tactics and different teamtalks but the random nature of the match engine still throws out some massive anomalies. I can take losing to Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, City... hell just about most teams in the Premier League. I am Fulham after all. What I can't take is losing to a league 2 side in the Carling Cup with a full squad, full familiarity and full morale or dominating a game with 20+ shots and losing to a goal from a winger near the corner flag. Add to this the countless number of efforts my wingers like to have from odd places, the goalkeeper going AWOL, my forwards (Berbatov, so not a bad player) going missing all season no matter what role I give him or conceeding 4 goals in a game all from corners... theres no patter to the game now and thats what makes it so unlikable for me.

I haven't started the game since the weekend and won't be doing so until something changes with the match engine. For the first time ever I truly dislike the game and it kills me to say it.

The best post ive seen

Wrong footed AML/Rs and a poacher will still result in a compact final third, albeit not such a bad one. My suggestion would be to:

1: Think about whether a Poacher is really the best role for the lone forward. He will always stay high and central, resulting in the AML/R having no space to run into. A DLF/S or a TQ may open some interesting space.

2: If both your wrong-footed wingers are set up to play the poacher in with TBs, then you will be suffering from the single target point issue. If the opposition closes him out, you have no Plan B.

3: To work on a Plan B, look to see which two players you want to be secondary threats in the final third and make sure they have Attacking duties, which will encourage them to run past the FC. I'd suggest one MC and one of the wingers. If one winger is on a support duty, then make sure the FB behind him is on an Attack duty (WB is best, but FB is OK). That will result in some interesting overlaps, which will open final third space. Further, make sure that your non Attack duty MC is capable of pulling the creative strings in midfield, as a lot of play will be going through him.

wwfan, do you think a setup like this could work?

Real Madrid:

2 DC - Defend duty

2 FB - Attacking duty

DMCL - Defensive Midfielder support

DMCR - DLP support ( Both DMC's with aggressive closing down and man marking)

AMC - Trequartista

AML - Inside Forward Attack

AMR - Adv Playmaker Support

ST - C. Forward Support

Fluid and Control strategy with higher defensive line and with lots of movement in the front 4

Thank you!

Edit: Sorry this is not just for FM13 but more like FM11/12. Sorry

I dont see the issue with through balls at all, i play with an advanced playmaker, he has 7 assists in 12 games, almost all from through balls, if the player is good enough and set up the right way its works well. Dribbling doesnt happen as often as id like, but only in a few odd occasions.

The funniest thing really is, this has been a calm year in regards to a release, but the venom coming from some posters has been incredible. I wonder how these people would act if they were abused in their work place like they have dished out on here. If some people are unable to be polite with something over a computer game what are they like when something serious happens to them?

I dont see the issue with through balls at all, i play with an advanced playmaker, he has 7 assists in 12 games, almost all from through balls, if the player is good enough and set up the right way its works well. Dribbling doesnt happen as often as id like, but only in a few odd occasions.

The funniest thing really is, this has been a calm year in regards to a release, but the venom coming from some posters has been incredible. I wonder how these people would act if they were abused in their work place like they have dished out on here. If some people are unable to be polite with something over a computer game what are they like when something serious happens to them?

I Agree theres no need for straight out abuse but when you pay money for a game and it is of a poor standard then there is a right to moan. And you cant you cant trade the game in because of Steam. So theyve released a game that in my opinion they must have been extremely niave to think people wouldnt moan about the ME, or they just dont care. Its quite astonishing that they havent noticed the sheer randomness in testing. Either way they deserve to be told.

I Agree theres no need for straight out abuse but when you pay money for a game and it is of a poor standard then there is a right to moan. And you cant you cant trade the game in because of Steam. So theyve released a game that in my opinion they must have been extremely niave to think people wouldnt moan about the ME, or they just dont care. Its quite astonishing that they havent noticed the sheer randomness in testing. Either way they deserve to be told.

You have a right to voice your opinion on the game, but people have no right to question the motives, or the honesty of the dev's because they dont like the version of the game. Even in your post your caling them niave, or your saying they dont care, your just throwing insults at them, i just find it very sad that in order to express disapointment of the game, that yourself and others need to resort to abusive language to get your point across.

You say its its astonishing they havent noticed the things you perceive as being an issue, yet myself and countless others have managed to enjoy the game just fine. Which side do they listen too?

i cannot see how this game is poor quality. I believe it is much more advanced than previous versions. sure more kinks to iron out but to say game is poor is really unacceptable.

There was a demo released, play that and if you dont like it dont buy it. simple

You have a right to voice your opinion on the game, but people have no right to question the motives, or the honesty of the dev's because they dont like the version of the game. Even in your post your caling them niave, or your saying they dont care, your just throwing insults at them, i just find it very sad that in order to express disapointment of the game, that yourself and others need to resort to abusive language to get your point across.

You say its its astonishing they havent noticed the things you perceive as being an issue, yet myself and countless others have managed to enjoy the game just fine. Which side do they listen too?

If you think 'niave' is an insult or abusive, then theres something wrong, I have never once directly abused anyone on this forum, although I have voiced my concerns like others about the game. It is simply frustrating when countless people tell you to just 'change your tactics' when we have used countless different formations and instructions, and they havent given a straight answer to anyone regarding the randomness of the ME therefore I have a right to say they dont care about that particular issue. Although I do acknowledge they are working towards solutions for other issues.

Its also frustrating seeing people abuse the dev's, when clearly they are unwilling to look at what they are doing wrong in the first place, this blind faith in their tactic that won the champions league in FM07, not taking any consideration into the changes in this years game. If a lot of users are able to make a working tactic well then that means its more than possible, sitting on here spitting venom because your maybe not the tactical guru you once thought you were is not going to change anything.

The ME has flaws, but none of which make it unplayable.

Here's my first bit of feedback I've given on the game:

I would like a 'Clear All' button on the Coach section of training:

lgMO7.png?1

It's annoying me to clear it all one by one...

Thanks.

lgMO7.png?1

It's annoying me to clear it all one by one...

Thanks.

I agree with welshace on that. :thup:

Overall I like the game better than fm12 but the new ME isn't without its problems. The randomness is certain greatly increased and other small eccentricities, such as the incredible inability of quality goalkeepers to save simple near-post shots even when perfectly positioned, is annoying. So a mixed bag, much the same as every other year with FM. Juuuust enough improvement to make me keep coming back -- and I've been saying that every year since 2003 :-)

It's like this every year, the game isnt really playable untill the patch that comes after new years. I am the one that buys the game first in my group of friends, and i tell them the same thing each year, wait untill new years to buy it, and maybe they have fixed the issues, usually ME related issues.

Im not sure which version i had to start to use a DMC because a plain 442 just didnt work anymore, not to mention in the fm12 version where you get raped if you put forward runs on your fullbacks. Correct me if im wrong, but wasnt there a closing down issue and a tackling issue on fm2011 aswell? It was adressed as "your tactics are wrong, the ME is flawless", untill someone found out that it actually was the ME and not the tactics, and they fixed it.

As someone has said, why dont you just play a basic 442 with basic this and basic that. And that works for some reason. What if i want to play like Wigan, and the game tells me that we are fluid in that given formation, shouldnt that atleast work vs lesser teams?

This happens every year, it's the same discussions, the same defending of the game, before they eventually cave in and admit that maybe there are some issues with the game. Is there a way we consumers can help at an earlier stage to get a smoother release?

International Duty. Its the 31st of jan and one of my Korean players is on international duty and was expected back on the 21st? I have checked Korea's fixtures and they haven't had a game since 20th. There next game is March. Why so long to come back? Ryan Air?

Director of Football. He only works when transfer window is open? I put wanted players in my transfer list and unwanted players in my unwanted list during the season and he does nothing? Shouldn't he work and help me prepare my team all year round?

wwfan - Not everybody is just complaining because they are losing, or because they are new to the game, have poor tactics and therefore blame the ME. The fact is that there are some serious fundamental flaws with this ME that just make the game horrible to watch. I'm not saying these favour the AI teams whatsoever - It's exactly the same for both teams.

Personally I just think everything is far too slow - there is never any tempo to the game you watch, no urgency shown by either team. Say it's my tactics all you like, but when I'm 1 nil down in the 86th minute, I've set my tactics to 'more direct' 'wide' 'time wasting right down' and an attacking mentality, I expect my team to be looking to get forward pretty quickly. Making ambitious passes, making runs off the ball into the box (and then when get there not just stand still in the box if the ball doesn't come instead of looking to come deep again to find it), having my wingers take on the fullback and get the cross in. But no, it just feels the same, centre mids just passing it back and forth in pretty little triangles before either a very poor defensive mistake or a long shot.

Basically every game I watch just feels like a friendly - It looks like a non-contact sport at the minute. The closing down is very poor, the lack of tackling and players not bothering to intercept/tackle when they really should, and as somebody else said when a player closes down somebody on the ball, when the player on the ball passes it back, bizzarely the guy closing down doesn't stay tight, doesn't carrying on his closing down to the next player, he just goes BACKWARDS for some reason, leaving the man he just closed down standing in space. It's ludicrous.

I said before there are some decent aspects in this ME and I still think It will be a very good one by what January maybe? I like the variety of goals which I'm scoring, but when all I watch 75% of the time is teams just passing it back and forth with no apparent aim and no danger of losing possession it makes it so dull.

I just wish SI would properly test there game and stop releasing games they have these massive bugs. I mean the Editor has only just been patched so it works! Other games don't do this. I don't think I have ever had to patch any other game. Yet with FM it's as if it is acceptable to release the game then say "oh yeah we're not happy with the ME and the Editor doesn't work, but we're looking into it." No - this should be seen as a really poor decision.

Please in the future SI, hold back the release, I'd rather wait until January and play a great game then get it now in this state and have to constantly patch it..

Regarding the curling ball video - the fact it does this after multiple bounces sometimes is a known issue and it will be fixed in a future update.......although probably not the next one.

Regarding the curling ball video - the fact it does this after multiple bounces sometimes is a known issue and it will be fixed in a future update.......although probably not the next one.

I know u cant give a definitive date Paul, but do u forsee the ME update coming out before the weekend?

I know u cant give a definitive date Paul, but do u forsee the ME update coming out before the weekend?

As it's Thursday you're asking him to be pretty definitive :D and I'll remind you there's no point in asking.

What rubbish. The ME is miles better, for once i am enjoying watching a game. For all you whingers, i can get my players to press, i can get them to stop taking long shots. the best thing i think us the variety of goals scored and chances made.

also this is the most dedicated team in the whole industry, they care and work hard. stop petty whining and LEARN how to play

If its so much better why are SI working flat out to fix it.

As you go on to say the SI team are superb and will no doubt fix it, but that doesnt mean we should blinker ourselves into thinking the ME is great, its not and its certainly not as good as FM12 at the moment.

As you go on to say the SI team are superb and will no doubt fix it, but that doesnt mean we should blinker ourselves into thinking the ME is great, its not and its certainly not as good as FM12 at the moment.

To be fair they work flat out to improve every game they release.

SI spend a lot of time tweaking each version of the game, its never finished, every year is the same to this year, it just so happens we now have steam so rather than having to wait until xmas to see any changes we can get them as soon as they are done, doesnt really mean they are being rushed any quicker than normal.

I was sitting in the 1st place in the league but had a very poor run of form in the last four games and lost my 5 point advantage and went to team meeting and tell players like..we're doing fine but I know we can do even better and all of them just go to red..lol.. wtf?

I mean ok, we're 1st place but you've been playing like ***** the last three weeks so I'm sorry but what's the problem?

I must consider myself very lucky since im still in love with fm12. :)

I have put fm13 on the shelf, but it will be back as soon as SI have made the ME a bit more watchable.

I see a lot of potential in this years edition as the players look more like humans than ever before, but like others have said they dont look very involved :)

Keep up the good work SI.

3 silly penalties? yes... change the aggressive tackling, put the d line up, stay on feet more often shouts... all helps...

But I agree 6 goals is over the top.

Tuesday, 6 November 2012, Crystal Palace 5, Ipswich 0. Ipswich gave 3 penalties away in 11 minuttes. Bizarre things do happen in football.

Sorry but that is one of the weakest lines of arguments used in this entire forum, quite an accomplishment.

Separately, I don't think it is anyone's opinion that the ME is flawless, but just because you dont think it is as good as FM 12 doesn't make that 'certainly' the case.

People need to be careful not to speak for more than just themselves, and yes that includes defenders of the ME such as I.

I think it is very good, I can understand that you do not, but I resent you telling me what is certainly is or isn't.

Hi PaulC,

Just some feedback in regards to this forum, really great to see that you do genuinely read these posts and take note of all the feedback, be it constructive or positive. Also great to see the two way communicaiton between SI and us players.

I've been handing over my hard earned for this game for the last 10 years and dont envisage myself not doing it in the near future.

Keep up the great work, this game is going to stop me playing black ops when its out.

Cheers

No ME update before this weekend, and realistically probably not before next weekend either.....

Just rage quit because I'm sick to death of my midfielders doing absolutely nothing, standing there just letting the opposition knock it about. Tacking in this game is as rare as rocking horse poo, honestly. And playing against teams who have thee up front is pretty much an automatic loss as the comical defending just can't deal with it.

Absolutely beggars belief how this ME was allowed to get past testing, it's shockingly bad. Would rather have waited until January for release if it meant for a reasonable match engine.
Maybe it was allowed to get past testing because some, even if not all, people find it enjoyable? I for one would much rather be playing a less than perfect FM right now than no FM at all, and I prefer this current FM 13 to FM 12. I for one am happy it got released, and also glad they are working on it more.

Could people please note the thread title and keep more or less on track, it's turning into a bickerfest and will result in multiple post deletions at best if this continues, thanks.

Did the frivolous nature of my complaint make people think I was joking? I wasn't joking! This is my single biggest complaint in FM13

Haha I'm with you :). The whole colour contrast issue has been doing my head in for years in FM. I'm not sure if it'll fix your specific issue but I've got a database here where I've modified a few thousand team text names and their scoreboard backgrounds to weed out some contrast issues.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/324744-FM13-Full-Club-Names-database

At the bottom of the first post it explains it in a bit more detail.

The game is fantastic, and is the most realistic, challenging version of FM since perhaps the 07 version, which was the last great 'classic' version of the game IMO.

For the first time in a while, decsions I make pre match, and in-game have an actual effect on the outcome. Not all the time, of course, as it doesn't always work in real life, but you do see tangible differences on the pitch. Both good AND bad.

I've playtested the full game and Classic for a season with two different sides (Truro in classic, Coventry in the main game), and both are excellent. I prefer the full game, as it's a lot more hands on, natch, but for quickness, FMC does the job well. I'll probably stick with both teams for a while now, as I'm enjoying both games immensley. Staying up on the last day of the season with Truro was a great buzz!

The only negative thing I've noticed from the ME (and this could easily be something I'm not doing), is the frequency in which my defenders stand still and let players run past them to through balls. Perhaps this needs to be looked at, or perhaps I just need better defenders. Not made up my mind either way as yet.

Anyway, well done SI, you've released a corker this year.

I know this has been brought up before but I agree - There is miles to much knocking the ball around the edge of the area looking for a long shot which sometimes goes in and sometimes doe not.

All teams do it which brings me to a second point - there is no individuality with how teams play. They all play the same regardless of player types, ability, manager, board demands etc.

The above 2 are my biggest gripes aside from the really obvious stuff that many people have mentioned.

Overall I am loving the game though - improving the above with an ME patch would make the game much greater. I don't want to get bored of playing because every match looks the same.

Is it my opinion or players raise their attributes way too easy and fast? I play with AEK athens which supposedly has some young talented players and many of em have raised most of their stats 1-2 numbers and some even more in less than 2 seasons. I use em alot but on the other hand my facilities and not great and no coaching attribute has more than 3 and a half stars.

2 points to raise: 1. Issues in arranging columns in customised views. Quite user unfriendly and takes a lot of fiddling to get sizing the way you want it! Would be great if the coding could make arranging easier.

2. Seems to me (as with previous versions of the game e.g. FM2012) that a very large concentration of in-gme generated talent (young kids with highest potential) come from South America. Not exclusively, but seems disproportionately high.

Thoughts welcomed!

2. Seems to me (as with previous versions of the game e.g. FM2012) that a very large concentration of in-gme generated talent (young kids with highest potential) come from South America. Not exclusively, but seems disproportionately high.

I would say that the problem wouldn't be too many high potential players being from South America, that seems plausible, the problem is that nearly all high potential players "make it" in FM whereas IRL most don't. This is due to a number of factors including the standards of coaching and facilities and the financial side to the game. If you had a lot of very high potential South Americans, most of whom don't make any impact whatsoever in world football, then perfect. Trouble is, in FM they are instantly scouted with all attributes revealed at first glance and signed and developed. That is the part that is unrealistic.

Norways biggest newspaper give it 6/6 , conclusion: A must have for all football fans, football magic

If anyone interested in reading it, they could use google translate on it

http://www.vg.no/spill/artikkel.php?artid=10047982

The article doesn't mention the ME with a single word. Clearly, they haven't played actual matches while "testing" this game, since the fact that something isn't right should be obvious the first match you play on extended or longer. Of course, big games always get top grades in the papers and magazines. At release, the ME as a whole is much weaker than FM12, even though it looks better and some aspects of it has been improved.

They could have written the exact same "review" for FM12 or FM07 for that matter. I won't hold it beyond this tabloid that they actually did...

Just to inject a bit of the lighter side of the randomness of FM2013 - Playing as Wrexham, just been drawn in the FA Cup Qualifying against Wroxham.

It's like we're long lost twins ;)

Just to inject a bit of the lighter side of the randomness of FM2013 - Playing as Wrexham, just been drawn in the FA Cup Qualifying against Wroxham.

It's like we're long lost twins ;)

Nice, easy draw, you won't be laughing if you lose it though!

Can you please post this in the Bugs section of the forum and ask nicely if it could be logged as a feature request (as I would imagine at this point it might not go through as a bug as such) ? :thup:

Player value vs the asking price seems abit off. Example: Lenny Nangis, a young winger in league 2, valued at 750k euros and i (Liverpool) could get him for 17m euros, this seems to be the case all around.

Young players are generally valued 'low' as they don't have big reputations in the game - this is to stop users going in and instantly signing any youth team player valued at a large price at a young age. Also the club is essentially saying 'he's not for sale'.

Player value vs the asking price seems abit off. Example: Lenny Nangis, a young winger in league 2, valued at 750k euros and i (Liverpool) could get him for 17m euros, this seems to be the case all around.

This has been debated a lot in a number of other threads. In brief summary, 'Value' is never intended to be what you can buy the player for, and the low value/high trasfer fee is deliberate by SI, due to players not wanting to sell youngsters and them having high 'value' making it too easy for human manager to see which ones are good. They have said they will evaluate the extent to which the discrepancy applies.