*Official* Football Manager 2013 Constructive non-ME Feedback Thread

random random random ME, getting angry at it. seriously, what do you do? or could it just be this ME is a pile of poo at times

The more you play; the more you tear your hair out.

Currently my biggest concern with the game is S.I. dismissing large swathes of feedback because their own customers don't know what they're doing; they don't know how to play this game. For them this seems to be an exercise in educating the dummies who don't know what they're doing. It's a bit like, you may have been successful at this series for the last 10 years but all along we had it programmed incorrectly but now we have it right and you lot are just mugs for thinking you had it sussed all along.

Personally I'd like to see SI acknowledging a lot more feedback and taking it away for analysis. At the moment its just developers steadfastly defending their product cause to admit mistakes would be to lose face and worse, lose sales.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know this is very much a minor thing, but player of the match? Really? Nobody ever calls it player of the match, it's always been man of the match, be that in games or in real life. I would say maybe it's been changed due to female footballers in the game, but obviously that's not the case.

It's been changed for legal reason. Someone went and got themselves copy rights to motm, now games aren't allowed to use it.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Ffinance%2Fnewsbysector%2Fretailandconsumer%2F9546965%2FMan-of-the-Match-Well-send-the-bill-later.html&ei=JeqaUM2UC-Wa0QXc-oD4Dw&usg=AFQjCNGwlwUFGHnW6iC5iGfN9g_UREFFeQ&sig2=KId4k81_eooak0aC91AkfQ

It still annoys me that results are random regardless of form, quality of players and tactics. Still feel like I have no control over anything in the game, for instance I could buy Messi and he wouldnt do anything out of the ordinary to win me the game, he would just act like the rest of them.

I'm sorry but I actually laughed at that. I know the feeling, you beat your rivals, have a bit of good form going, invest in good players, use a tried and tested tactic, you're feeling good, a nice easy home match against a team facing relegation and before you can say Titus Bramble they have scored three goals from four attempts. Bad teams are playing too well and its ruining FM2013. I also get the feeling its pointless setting tactics sometimes.

Really liking fm13 this year apart from the problems with the ME , I know these things are being worked on but I thought I would just post my findings so far

*Goals from tight angles are still to high, I have conceded a lot like this and also my team have scored a few like this.

*When defending most of my players seem to get pulled into the penalty area and group up leaving the AI wide players unmarked for a simple goal to score.

*high scoring games , again this is down to general poor defending from both teams

cheers

Sorry but the skin just makes it almost unplayable for me. So much info and boxes squashed onto the player profile screen for instance. Football Manager 2012 was the first FM/CM game I didn't buy, I couldn't even play the demo for more than 10 minutes. 13 is more or less the same, I've only bought it for FM classic, can it save the series? I really hope so. On first impressions it's a much better design, easier on the eyes less information but all you need is still there. I'd love to know what is going through the designers minds on the full version since FM12.

Sorry but the skin just makes it almost unplayable for me. So much info and boxes squashed onto the player profile screen for instance. Football Manager 2012 was the first FM/CM game I didn't buy, I couldn't even play the demo for more than 10 minutes. 13 is more or less the same, I've only bought it for FM classic, can it save the series? I really hope so. On first impressions it's a much better design, easier on the eyes less information but all you need is still there. I'd love to know what is going through the designers minds on the full version since FM12.

If you're looking for a darker skin both of these are very good imo.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/321316-FM13-RELEASED-Steklo-X3

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/322955-RELEASED-Carbon-Skin-2013

The colour of the skin isn't an issue, its the whole layout of everything. Menus here there and everywhere, player profile screen has boxes galore tactics screen is too fiddly. Even the player search is ruined now, I have to click a menu and then search when it was always in the top right hand corner previously. It seriously needs to be simplified a bit I'm aware they need to add stuff each year but they really need to rethink this layout.

I know I've been moaning a lot, but this game is just so frustrating :D There's so much potential for it to be great, which is why it's so frustrating.

A few points

Why does pressing work so well in the final third, but doesn't work at all in the middle of the pitch and with the full backs?

Why are team talks so messed up?

And finally, is the underdog bug going to be fixed? I've seen enough of people's saves to see that there are some very unrealistic league tables, especially with Southampton who finish in the CL. Also, as Arsenal, I've found it easier to play against and beat the likes of Man City rather than the likes of Aston Villa, which just isn't right really.

What's frustrating me the most is that I had none of these issues really with the BETA? A few issues with pressing, but nowhere near on the same level. The only massive issue I had was crossing and that's been fixed. Just feels like a worse game than the BETA currently and that shouldn't be the case.

The three biggest issues with the ME I see:

1. Closing down. What usually happens, is that a defender closes down an opponent, forces him to give up the ball, then immediately afterwards leaves him alone and free just to receive a passback at exactly the same spot. In reality, the defender will keep tight to the opponent and forces him to retreat to a deeper position before he can get the ball again. We are not seeing that, or put it more nicely, enough of that, in the ME. The reason why Burton Albion is knocking the ball around like barcelona in FM2013 is caused by this very bug. Obviously, even a sunday league side can knock it around if the opponent is totally inept at closing down like it is in FM.

2. Goalkeeper seems to be able to make impossible saves from long shots by starting to dive before the shot was made. Surely all human beings has a reaction time of at least half a second? Also, there dosen't seem to be any shot that are catching the keeper by surprise. I still vivdly remember the Ronaldinho goal against Chelsea in that memorable Champions League group match where Cech was totally rooted to his spot.

3. Freekicks is just totally useless at the moment. Even the best freekick takers with 18+ freekicks and techniques simply tamely pass the ball back to the opposition goalkeeper.

Getting quite a few penalties given away whenever the ball is pumped in to my area from a free kick, just don't know what it is, can pretty much guarantee when it'll happen, at least 3 this season and I've only done 6-7 matches, bit much surely?

Also, what's going on with rebounds? Every time there's a rebound from my keeper, it lands to their player, every time, I have 5 players around, lands to him, shoot, goal, 10/10, this isn't good, for the first time I actually wanna give up on FM, never wanted to before, it's like you've gone backwards.

At this rate I'd have been better off giving the £19.50 to a tramp, at least I'd have felt some satisfaction from doing that, the only thing I feel atm, is ripped off.

In all honesty, as much as it pains me to say it, I dont even like this game anymore. Its all well and good making it more realistic (even though its not) but there needs to be a fun factor and there just isnt anymore. Completely frustrated and exhausted with it. Ill inevitebly carry on playing on it for a while but Ill just get bored after a few weeks. People are saying last years was too easy but surely difficulty should be dictated by which team and how much money you have just as in real life but on FM13 you can have £100 million at Barca and you still barely have a chance of winning unless you get lucky. Tactics and quality of players need to play more of a role, in its current state th ME is embarassingly bad. Im trying to be constructive but Ive just had enough.

this comes after a good 3-0 win against my rivals for the league atm wolves, burnley sitting sitting 8th did well to smash the on form league leaders so well with an almighty and unrealistic shot conversion, how do i go about defending that? i was 4-1 down and out of it by half time. ME is ruining everything. maybe it is my tactics sucks (not sure how it fails that badly if its got me 1st so far) but seriously i have far better players, i'm on good form, i'm at home and i look like i did OK by stats, scoreline makes it look like burnley are barcelona though and you'd assume they had 65% possession and kept me quiet most the game. tactics aren't everything and even with bad tactics my other advantages should far outweigh an outcome as stupid as that, it's like watching a solid man united score bend over in defence to swansea. this has happened before with a average charlton side who are far worse smashing me 5-0 despite stats saying i was the better team. funny games of football.

burnley before that game had won the previous game, drawn the 4 before that and lost the other two before that. freak result out of nowhere.

random random random ME, getting angry at it. seriously, what do you do? or could it just be this ME is a pile of poo at times

blackburnvburnleystatsm.png

Hope this could happen for real

Bet austin scored a few

What the... I just ran FMC for the first time and lo and behold the text size of its skin is larger! Are you torturing the FM fans on purpose, SI????????????

After you ignored all the complaints about text readability on 1080 last year and in the beta. Shame on you!

Can we please get clarification on whether or not these issues are being looked in to or if SI is happy with the ME as it is currently? The response to the majority of ME complaints has been disheartening to say the least... they seem pretty happy with it.

I just wanna know if I have any chance of eventually enjoying 13 or simply switching back to 12, might even give FIFA manager a go (I'm that desperate).

In all honesty, as much as it pains me to say it, I dont even like this game anymore. Its all well and good making it more realistic (even though its not) but there needs to be a fun factor and there just isnt anymore. Completely frustrated and exhausted with it. Ill inevitebly carry on playing on it for a while but Ill just get bored after a few weeks. People are saying last years was too easy but surely difficulty should be dictated by which team and how much money you have just as in real life but on FM13 you can have £100 million at Barca and you still barely have a chance of winning unless you get lucky. Tactics and quality of players need to play more of a role, in its current state th ME is embarassingly bad. Im trying to be constructive but Ive just had enough.

I'm not Barca and certainly don't have £100 million but if a broken me is causing you to not be able to win then how come with the exact same me I can win three titles in a row and get results like these?

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u339/slipknot261175/Celtic_FixturesSchedule-7.png

I'm not Barca and certainly don't have £100 million but if a broken me is causing you to not be able to win then how come with the exact same me I can win three titles in a row and get results like these?

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u339/slipknot261175/Celtic_FixturesSchedule-7.png

What else can it be? Ive tried every tactic know to man, ive resorted to cheating in order to get world class players who perform at the same level as my normal players. So you tell me. The fact the ball constantly bounces off of the back of my defenders or goalkeepers head and leads to a goal because theyre to ******** to react to a ball, I can have no control over.

When 2 players go in to a tackle, the ball will stay there, the 2 said players will back off, then another random player from about 10 yards will run to it and get it and run off with it? What's all that about?

This is possibly the single most frustrating thing in the game, and it almost always favours the opposition.

That's another issue... why is there such a difference between systems? Some seem to have issues with the ME (mine included) and others are oblivious to the fact (I envy you).

Those without any issues, please don't discredit our complaints... I understand you're having a completely different experience with the game, and that's great, but we've been playing FM far too long to simply blame it on poor tacticsand/or team setup.

Has anybody found that midfielders get low ratings and generally don't play that well? My centre backs and strikers perform well but my fullbacks and midfielders always play poorly. This game is very frustrating now! I just played a first half with no highlights despite having ten shots. This game doesn't feel ready!

only problem i have with the match engine is the constant short passes the midfielders make on the edge of the box. it doesnt matter what style of football i play it always happens. through balls still seem non existant.

please sort this in the next patch SI is annoying. every team seems to pass like Barca.

What else can it be? Ive tried every tactic know to man, ive resorted to cheating in order to get world class players who perform at the same level as my normal players. So you tell me. The fact the ball constantly bounces off of the back of my defenders or goalkeepers head and leads to a goal because theyre to ******** to react to a ball, I can have no control over.

I can't tell you why you aren't winning, I don't know enough about your players, team, tactical and strategical set-up, which shouts you use if any and when, rules and duties of players. It could be any, some, all of the above and probably a lot more I've forgotten to mention that's causing your problems but one thing is certain is that if it was solely specifically down to the me causing you to have bad results then it would be happening to every single person playing the game and as I've just shown it definitely isn't.

I like the game, I shouldn't though.

It's more punishing than ever before, even to the point of anger. What annoys me is players don't seem to follow out clear instructions, or shouts. I put my wingers to "run with the ball" yet they constantly pass the ball about without even attempting to take on the full back.

Now when the AI have the ball they go for the throat, what am I missing? Surely player instructions must be able to work. Essentially I don't mind losing as long as I can see that my players at least TRIED to carry out an instruction whether it is short passing, crossing, through balls, run with the ball.

But when I feel I can't even do that, the feeling or element of control or having a sense that my tactics make a difference is completely gone. I feel some of the additions to the game are great and I love how accessible the game is and the way SI have dealt with complaints, I just would love to be able to be a manager again - one that has some sort of say in what takes place on the pitch.

FM 12 was poor in animations, game speed, lots of match engine things, but the players did what I wanted, once this is sorted out this will be the best FM yet.

only problem i have with the match engine is the constant short passes the midfielders make on the edge of the box. it doesnt matter what style of football i play it always happens. through balls still seem non existant.

please sort this in the next patch SI is annoying. every team seems to pass like Barca.

This. So frustrating. I hate Barcelona's style irl, it's a nightmare having to watch every single team on the game play like them. The ME at present is pretty awful, I'd say the worst incarnation of it since I started playing in 2010. Hope the update is a big, big improvement.

The colour of the skin isn't an issue, its the whole layout of everything. Menus here there and everywhere, player profile screen has boxes galore tactics screen is too fiddly. Even the player search is ruined now, I have to click a menu and then search when it was always in the top right hand corner previously. It seriously needs to be simplified a bit I'm aware they need to add stuff each year but they really need to rethink this layout.

If you like the FMC skin someone has created a version of that to use within the main game, it works pretty well and is being updated fairly regularly. Have a look in the skinning hideout.

Currently my biggest concern with the game is S.I. dismissing large swathes of feedback because their own customers don't know what they're doing; they don't know how to play this game. For them this seems to be an exercise in educating the dummies who don't know what they're doing. It's a bit like, you may have been successful at this series for the last 10 years but all along we had it programmed incorrectly but now we have it right and you lot are just mugs for thinking you had it sussed all along.

Personally I'd like to see SI acknowledging a lot more feedback and taking it away for analysis. At the moment its just developers steadfastly defending their product cause to admit mistakes would be to lose face and worse, lose sales.

This is probably the best post in here. I can't even think if this was my first FM ever, as the ME is so random, and the fact that players don't follow your instructions, you'd never be able to learn anything as you'd keep second guessing all your instructions as players only follow them every now and then, they only work as they should every now and then, you think you finally got a solid defense and the next minute it's all crumbling as if they all never seen a football before. If SI wants to say we all dummies in the face of the "oh so mighty new and realistic ME", they should then released a guide with how each instruction performs on the new ME, what bothers me, is that some failures are so evident (FB not marking, marking overall is a joke tbh) and still they undermine them. It's a football simulation, if defense is broken the game is broken, it seems harder on this game to not concede any goal against whatever team you play than it is to score 5, 6 or 7 goals against a top team.

It quite makes me sad as i was totally psyched over this new release, had high expectations and the fall was even higher, i still have faith on SI, and gotta give merit where it's due. They had a safe choice, keep the old ME and have the same lil moaning about the regular bugs, or try and do something new where they could solve everything (eventually). There's merit on their option, and i think they did what was right, still, i also think they should have delayed the game until they were happy with it because i do not believe they needed all this feedback to realize how faulty the ME was (i thought it was strange the shortness of ME video blogs now i see why), the game as it is now it feels too frustrating to me and it will be sitting in the "shelf" until i'm actually able to manage anything, if i wanted this i'd get back to Elifoot II at least that was random but hardly frustrating.

Can only hope they are not waiting for january to release the ME update, otherwise the faith i still have on SI won't turn to money for them next year that's for sure.

PaulC has acknowledged the ME is rough around the edges, we can all agree with him there. But there is a lot of overreaction going on here, and from what I can see it usually involves a player losing. I can only imagine the outrage many users in this thread would feel if they were playing as Barcelona, had 80% possession, and lost to Celtic.

Defending is truly abysmal. Almost impossible to keep a clean sheet. Attacking isn't much better, I mean when you instruct your players to play direct you expect to see them getting the ball into the box as soon as possible, yet on FM13 they STILL faff about around 20 yards out before losing possession.

Defending is truly abysmal. Almost impossible to keep a clean sheet. Attacking isn't much better, I mean when you instruct your players to play direct you expect to see them getting the ball into the box as soon as possible, yet on FM13 they STILL faff about around 20 yards out before losing possession.

Last season I conceded about 25 goals in the league, you must be doing something wrong....

I have been having one of the worst days in RL I have ever had, but you know what, coming in here and reading the outrageous ranting has just brightened me up sooo much, I actually had a laugh at some of it.

As for the game itself, I have "only" clocked about 180hrs in two save games, and after reading some of wwfan's advice it actually only took a few small adjustments to my tactics to get the team performing how I expect them to. Now I admit there are some rough issues in the engine itself, but if you ask for some tactical help instead of ranting about a broken ME you might actually move forward.

Thank you SI for the Best Version of the game yet, I am off work in 15mins and have 10 days off and as much as I know I have some yard work to do, I KNOW that you have pulled me in and I will spend the vast majority of the next 10 days playing this Brilliant game.

For some constructive feedback: The Wage budgets being set in lower leagues (See: France/Spain/Portugal/Italy) seem a little bit out of whack. I am not sure what the problems are exactly, but I have seen numerous clubs losing a LOT of money, and at the end of the season the new wage budget will be a reduction from previous, but still more than the clubs turnover for the same period, meaning the clubs just continue into debt (And then admin), not sure if this is finance related or board budget setting related, but some help would be great. Thanks once again.

Like Many others on here I have experienced the following problems with the Match Engine:

1. Too many goals from long shots: The most commonly scored and conceded goal is where the team passes round the box until it falls to an an unmarked midfielder who smashes it in.

2. Midfielders never play through balls even when there's plenty of opportunities for them to do so

3. Wingers have CRAZY speed, they can run through a pack of defenders without EVER having to slow down.

4. Too many run down the byline and shoot from an accute angle ALL the time

5. Even though my wingers are set to move into channels they run down the wing (unopposed since defenders can't keep up with them) and cross the ball in, inch perfect to a striker.

6. Haven't seen one free kick go in

7. Players seem to have Nitro Boosts in their boots is this the new Mercurials?

8. I get loads of possession and chances every game but very few goals other than from crosses

9. Seem to concede all my goals in the last 15 minutes of a match which ever tactic I choose, I just have to hope I have a big enough lead to win.

10. Defenders hoof the ball even when there's no pressure on them.

You seriously need to tone down the power of counter-attacks in this game. There is a reason good teams push forward, dominate and win against teams defending deep and hoping for a quick counter-attack to get a point or three, and that is because the former is more efficient than the latter.

Seriously? Have you ever read Jonathan Wilson? Or watched continental football?

You do realise we've gone through this before on countless occasions? As Paul pointed out, losing matches does not equal terrible ME. He (and everybody else trying to explain why people might be struggling) has accepted there are a number of things wrong with the ME. He is working on fixing them. However, he (and I for that matter) refuses to accept that inconsistent or poor user team performance has any correlation with the quality of the ME.

Given that a number of people are performing consistently well, myself and a number of people who have followed my advice included, we have to conclude that a certain number of users are struggling tactically or motivationally. We try to help them, only to get damned as not listening, or worse. I can't speak for anyone else, but I find it horrible de-motivational to have to defend myself at every junction. If it weren't for hearing stuff like this I'd probably give up:

As for the game itself, I have "only" clocked about 180hrs in two save games, and after reading some of wwfan's advice it actually only took a few small adjustments to my tactics to get the team performing how I expect them to. Now I admit there are some rough issues in the engine itself, but if you ask for some tactical help instead of ranting about a broken ME you might actually move forward.

Thanks for that, and for everyone else who has posted that my advice has helped. It means a lot.

After 3 season in the lower leagues of Portugal, I've gotten worse. :D

2nd, 5th and now probably lower than 8th. It doesn't help when you lose all but 8 players in the third season, including your prolific goal scorer and then not being able to replace a decent team with players in a similar league. All the players I signed were from lower leagues so a poor season is to be expected.

The ME isn't bad, I can tell where I'm going wrong and try to correct it but I just don't have the players.

I am starting to come around to the new ME, but defenses really need to be tightened in the update. Even with elite defensive players it's VERY difficult to keep a clean sheet. Defenders give attackers way too much room in the box, and don't react correctly or quickly enough to crosses and through balls. Games are very high scoring and no lead is ever safe. I think this is why so many people think the game is "cheating" when they play with big clubs. There are defensive problems on both sides but you tend to notice it more when it's coming from Man United than Cheltenham. Sort of a form of confirmation bias. Nobody takes notice of poor defending from a poor team.

But that said, I do think with some tweaks this can be the best ME ever by far.

Given that a number of people are performing consistently well, myself and a number of people who have followed my advice included, we have to conclude that a certain number of users are struggling tactically or motivationally.

Morale seems to make a HUGE difference. It was always big, but I'm wondering if it's not even more of a factor now.

My first season, I ended up in the lower half with Swansea. I started at the lowest reputation, and it just didn't seem possible to keep the players motivated. Some games I would have almost my whole team being "nervous", and the morale of the players was simply not possible to keep up. It didn't really seem to matter what tactical changes I did; the players just didn't perform, and no matter what team talk I used, it would produce a negative response.

Second season, I kept pretty much the same squad, and continued using the exact same tactic. This time around, I'm currently sitting at second place in the table, with more than half the season played. I don't really do anything differently, but the results are the polar opposite...

So either I have just had an amazingly lucky streak, or I might have found the smoking gun as to where those wildly inconsistent results that have been reported are coming from.

OK so read a lot on here, a lot of over-reaction but I have some sympathy. Before the games, this edition is by far and away the best FM. the new staff and training changes are superb, the screens and tactics screen look great and there are great little editions like the transfer deadline day which make it very enjoyable.

However, there does seem to be some problem with the ME, and not just for the AI but for the player too. I think the problem is however much I set my players to play through balls or however much I beg my wingers to cross, they refuse. They love to put it to a CM on the edge of the box and shoot.

Now this is great if your a lower team. You can get amazing results sitting back and countering, because you can sit very deep and hope the players don't score from 25 yarders all game, because you know the wingers will lay it back or shoot from ridiculous angles. Therefore its a lot of fun to be say Norwich, and watch yourself go to Old Trafford and win 2-0. However playing as a bigger team becomes too frustrating. Yes, you will lose some games after 30 shots and the other team breaks and scores. That's not my problem. However when it happens 4 or 5 times in a row, it gets a bit silly. One way to combat a very deep defense is to get the ball in the box, but I can't seem to make them do it, whoever I am, in any league.

I think if this small issue gets solved, its going to be an incredible game as it will open up many different tactics, and allow you to win (or lose as is often my case!) in a variety of ways with different tactics.

Really hope S.I can change it, and if you guys can it would be massively appreciated.

Thanks for that, and for everyone else who has posted that my advice has helped. It means a lot.

Don't let the dicks get you down mate. Your views and insights are respected accoss the whole FM Community.

Don't let the dicks get you down mate. Your views and insights are respected accoss the whole FM Community.

I second this wwfan. After following your advice, my team is playing such beautiful football right now I want to kiss my computer screen after every goal. What I've come to appreciate about the FM13 ME as I've come to grips with it, is the amazing variations in goals that my team is scoring. In FM12, I could pretty much see every goal from a mile away and the patterns and sequences became predictable after a while and the same players scored most of my goals. With FM13, I am seeing goals from several different positions with less predictable but more realistic build-ups.

Archived