*Official* Football Manager 2013 Constructive non-ME Feedback Thread

Going back to FM12..

Not saying that the ball movement are better, or anything else.. Just that the overall game is better. FM13 is just, wierd, so very confusing game, almost impossible to understand the way it thinks, first time ever i really feel the game made me go back..

Surely you worked hard with it, but the ME and the way the games pan out. No..

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My brother and have been playing an online game, an have decide to put FM13 on the shelf until it has been patched some more. Our main problems are:

1) Very random performance by AI teams. PSG, OL and OM all finished in the bottom half of the French L1 first season. In this second seaons, PSG are rock bottom already, and very questionable teams are positioned near the top.

2) We don't feel like player attributes contribute enough to performance. Players that ought to be amongst our best, perform very badly, while (at best) mediocre strikers can become league top scorer. It is too random (or at least the reasons are too well hidden) for it to make any sense. This problem makes it very hard to decide which players to use, which to sell, and - maybe most importantly - which to buy. Good signings that SHOULD strengthen the squad don't.

EDIT: I should state the we finished 1st and 2nd first season. This is not a whine about difficulty. In line with issue number 1, we both feel it was too easy, but felt incredibly random.

3) Contract negotiations is no longer a negotiation. It has come to a point where both of us just either accept or refuse the demands of a player. They will not compromise. At all. Offering renewals is just as bad as signing new players. Everyone expects to go from 3k a week, to 20k or 30k. It seems hopeless.

4) I know you are aware of this, but not being able to control my scouts is a major issue (for me).

5) There are a few problems with the match engine. The biggest one, in my opinion, is the inability to close down the area in front of my own penalty area. Even when using opposition instructions to close down and tight mark opponent midfielders, my own MCs and DMCs decide it is best to stand on top of my central defenders, almost inside the 6-yard box. I have no idea exactly how many goals I have conceded from just outside the penalty area, but it's alot. The opposition will pass the ball around, sometimes even in to the box, before passing it back to someone just outside the the area, who just kicks it in.

6) Another ME problem is when my wingers or sometimes striker decides to run to the byline, then follow it in to the nearest post, and attempt an impossible shot. Even though there are passes possible (even crosses). It's not that it happens, it's that it happens too often.

There are a few other issues (too many matches with almost no highlight, even though I have an awful lot of play and/or shots), but I am not going to rant about every single one. I accept that the game won't be just as I would want to, but the above mentioned five or six issues are enough for the both of us not wanting to play anymore.

I would love if SI would comment on them, just to get an idea if they agree, and to what extent, or if it is just me who is being unreasonable.

SI.

This is a top, top quality post that nails a number of things in a succint and polite manner.

Please read carefully,

And someone pos rep Shardik. Spot on.:thup:

- Some users with lower end graphics cards are missing shadows on players which has the effect of "detaching" the players from the field of play. We feel this undermines the whole thing and exacerbates the negatives.

I would really love an answer to this.

I have a 6870 card,a good gaming card.

Now in some games I have player shadows and in others I just have shadow blobs.

I have replayed matches and looked at the times of the matches just incase it was a night game or something to do with lighting,it is for sure not the case.

Can someone tell me why some games have "blobs" and other game player shadows?

It can not be my card or indeed my rig so what exactly is it?

Thanks.

I'd like to say something about the difference between the ME in 12 and 13.

Yesterday we set up an FM2012 match on a monitor directly next to an FM2013 one. We watched 2 matches side by side in full with the same camera view. The differences were startling.

- FM2012's ball physics are way way behind the new model. The ball moves too fast in the air and then dies a death as soon as it starts to roll. It also bounces way too high and straight up. The FM2013 model looks more like a real football in our opinion. It needs a few tweaks here and there but overall we are happy with its direction.

- FM2012's player physics used legacy code from the original 2D implementation of CM4. As such they had acceleration but no concept of turning circle or deceleration. This allowed them to make unrealistic turns that apart from making them unrealistically good at reacting to the ball, confused the hell out of the animation code.

- The animation code, while certainly nowhere near where we want it to be, is far smoother in FM2013. The instances of player ice skating etc are far more prevalent in FM2012. It still happens occasionally in FM2013 but nowhere near as much.

- The pace of the game in FM2012 just looks too fast in comparison to FM2013. We think the latter reflects modern football better.

Following on from that I think there are various factors contributing to some of the complaints about this year's ME:

- Definitely in beta, and yes, to a point in release the ME is rougher around the edges. We know defender reactions and keeper handling in particular are still needing improvements and we are committed to that as ever as well as the other genuine issues raised in this thread and the bugs forum.

- Many users are completely used to the 12 engine and the 13 is such a departure in terms of the pace of the play and the dynamics that its a culture shock. Its also had huge effects on tactics that may have worked before and work differently now.

- FM2013 is harder for some users, partly due to improved use of the tactics creator and team selection by AI teams. My experience of FML taught me that the more people fail to live up to their own expectations the more the ME is blamed. I know some dont want to hear this, but its true.

- Some users with lower end graphics cards are missing shadows on players which has the effect of "detaching" the players from the field of play. We feel this undermines the whole thing and exacerbates the negatives.

- Users playing 2D classic have bugs with ball rotation and ball collision depiction that are problematic and we intend to address these.

Cheers,

Paul

Cheers for the update Paul, I hope you don't pay too much attention to some of the unsubstantianted rants through this thread too much. Though improvements can always be made, this engine is very very good. My main concern is that you make the game easier to placate the voiciferous MINORITY, I really hope you don't do this as FM12 was far too easy. IMO the board is fairly quiet on this release and the game is being quietly played by most.

"- The pace of the game in FM2012 just looks too fast in comparison to FM2013. We think the latter reflects modern football better."

This is just so wrong it's unbelievable.

No its not, you are wrong mate.

"- The pace of the game in FM2012 just looks too fast in comparison to FM2013. We think the latter reflects modern football better."

But why? Can you give a reason and explanation as to why you think that?

Cheers for the update Paul, I hope you don't pay too much attention to some of the unsubstantianted rants through this thread too much. Though improvements can always be made, this engine is very very good. My main concern is that you make the game easier to placate the voiciferous MINORITY, I really hope you don't do this as FM12 was far too easy. IMO the board is fairly quiet on this release and the game is being quietly played by most.

Agreed. Well said :thup:

• SI Staff

Not a chance!

:)

It's not wrong. It's your tactics. The ME or the TC are perfect, the problem lies with the players only.

Yup.

Yeah, so this is just getting beyond a joke now.

Beat Man City at home, go to PSG and lose 1-0 although I am the better side. That's fine.

What isn't fine is going to bottom of the league Villa and being 3-0 down after 20 mins. 1 of those was due to my goalkeeper deciding to run away from the ball (leaving the striker with a simple tap in) the other two were because my players will not press. Especially my full backs. Oh and they had 3 shots obviously.

Hurry up and sort this patch up SI. I don't know how you managed to get in bugs that weren't in the BETA. As it is, the game should have not gone on sale.

It's not wrong. It's your tactics. The ME or the TC are perfect, the problem lies with the players only.

Yup.

Original comedy. Very good.

An explanation as to why the new pace of FM2013 is wrong would be a much better use of energy, internet and everyone's time.

I'd like to say something about the difference between the ME in 12 and 13.

Yesterday we set up an FM2012 match on a monitor directly next to an FM2013 one. We watched 2 matches side by side in full with the same camera view. The differences were startling.

- FM2012's ball physics are way way behind the new model. The ball moves too fast in the air and then dies a death as soon as it starts to roll. It also bounces way too high and straight up. The FM2013 model looks more like a real football in our opinion. It needs a few tweaks here and there but overall we are happy with its direction.

- FM2012's player physics used legacy code from the original 2D implementation of CM4. As such they had acceleration but no concept of turning circle or deceleration. This allowed them to make unrealistic turns that apart from making them unrealistically good at reacting to the ball, confused the hell out of the animation code.

- The animation code, while certainly nowhere near where we want it to be, is far smoother in FM2013. The instances of player ice skating etc are far more prevalent in FM2012. It still happens occasionally in FM2013 but nowhere near as much.

- The pace of the game in FM2012 just looks too fast in comparison to FM2013. We think the latter reflects modern football better.

Following on from that I think there are various factors contributing to some of the complaints about this year's ME:

- Definitely in beta, and yes, to a point in release the ME is rougher around the edges. We know defender reactions and keeper handling in particular are still needing improvements and we are committed to that as ever as well as the other genuine issues raised in this thread and the bugs forum.

- Many users are completely used to the 12 engine and the 13 is such a departure in terms of the pace of the play and the dynamics that its a culture shock. Its also had huge effects on tactics that may have worked before and work differently now.

- FM2013 is harder for some users, partly due to improved use of the tactics creator and team selection by AI teams. My experience of FML taught me that the more people fail to live up to their own expectations the more the ME is blamed. I know some dont want to hear this, but its true.

- Users playing 2D classic have bugs with ball rotation and ball collision depiction that are problematic and we intend to address these.

Cheers,

Paul

Great post, keep up the good work guys!

As I mentioned in an earlier post is there any chance you kan keep updating the ME changes post you created earlier?

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/320432-Next-match-engine-update-fixes-so-far...%28-updated-30th-October-%29

As it is, the game should have not gone on sale.

Sorry but I am glad it did, it isn't perfect but I am bloody enjoying it. The pain you suffer from getting to play an imperfect game for longer is far less than what I would have having no game for longer. At the end of the day the game will reach the standard you desire when it reaches the standard you desire, the release date has no bearing on this. If anything releasing it sooner improves it sooner, as they get more feedback. Your logic makes little sense to me unfortunately

• SI Staff
Great post, keep up the good work guys!

As I mentioned in an earlier post is there any chance you kan keep updating the ME changes post you created earlier?

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/320432-Next-match-engine-update-fixes-so-far...%28-updated-30th-October-%29

I'll do it when I have some more changes to report, no probs.

Nice try PaulC. But instead of that i think is better for you guys just admit this FM 13 ME is a fail/disaster. Saying that the only thing you will get is more disappointment for the customers.

Say what you want but for a lot of people ME 12.2.2 is much better than this year (maybe for some real reason)

I hope your words do not mean that ME will not change much...:thdn:

You didn't get the joke I'm afraid.

Enlighten me TSH.

Was it meant to be sarcastic? Then I've missed nothing thanks.

Were you genuine? Then I'm afraid to tell you that that wasn't a joke.

Keep trying though.

Nice try PaulC. But instead of that i think is better for you guys just admit this FM 13 ME is a fail/disaster. Saying that the only thing you will get is more disappoi:
Don't confuse yourself with the majority. Equally, don't confuse those who are more noticeable, through typing with foul language or capital letters, with the majority. For every 1 person ranting there are probably a couple silently having a great time. FM 13 is not perfect, but is a million miles away from a disaster.

I would really love an answer to this.

I have a 6870 card,a good gaming card.

Now in some games I have player shadows and in others I just have shadow blobs.

I have replayed matches and looked at the times of the matches just incase it was a night game or something to do with lighting,it is for sure not the case.

Can someone tell me why some games have "blobs" and other game player shadows?

It can not be my card or indeed my rig so what exactly is it?

Thanks.

Again I would love an answer as when I have asked this before it seems to be ignored.

Here are 2 screenshots of the different shadows,Maybe I am just missing something and if I am just let me know.

Shadow blobs.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=107171895

Player shadows.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=107171858

Like I said if I am missing something then let me know,I have a AMD 6870 card if that helps.

To be honest I don't think that the ME is that bad considering the huge amount of details and changes they have created. It's nothing a good patch will sort out. So long as there are people here to tell SI about the ME then in time it will be fixed! Keep it up Sports Interactive long live FM :)

Right now I'm just messing around with tactics. I have my full backs on attacking and cross often. They get down to the line all the time but I simply can't get the backs to cross the ball. They always pass it in to the AM L/R who's standing just inside of them, even though there are plenty of players waiting for a cross in the box. Even tried a 4-2-4 just to get more options in the box, just for fun/testing.

I haven't seen them cross the ball once, they always make a short pass to either to the Winger or the closest CM.

• SI Staff
Nice try PaulC. But instead of that i think is better for you guys just admit this FM 13 ME is a fail/disaster. Saying that the only thing you will get is more disappointment for the customers.

Say what you want but for a lot of people ME 12.2.2 is much better than this year (maybe for some real reason)

I hope your words do not mean that ME will not change much...:thdn:

People are entitled to prefer whatever version they want.

But that doesnt make them right ;)

But why? Can you give a reason and explanation as to why you think that?

Read my post on the previous page - Sides from the BSN play as if they are Barcelona. Infact no, Everybody plays like Barcelona.

Yup.

Haha.

No its not, you are wrong mate.

Ok.

You have to have 1000 saved tweaked tactics to make it work.. Just dominated 5 games hard, was leading 0-2, 0-3, 3-1, 2-2 and 4-1 at home.. All games was against easy teams except Spurs at home.. Lost them all in the last 15-20 minutes where all teams just scores for fun..

And all games i "safed" in the last 30 to 10 minutes. And i have played FM/CM since 96.. And its not that i just press the "defense" mentality, nono.. Tried it all, really.. Teams just score when they want.. And dont tell its the tactics, this is thought of good defensive tactis.. Sure, i can take losses(learn through the years), but this FM13 is just, not fun..

EDIT: ofc its just not these games that was against me, just that this took it for me..

Read my post on the previous page - Sides from the BSN play as if they are Barcelona. Infact no, Everybody plays like Barcelona.

What's that got to do with pace though?

Less skilled teams just need to be less confident with their passing and more intent on going direct. By the sound of it, the incoming ME tweaks should help this.

Enlighten me TSH.

Was it meant to be sarcastic? Then I've missed nothing thanks.

Were you genuine? Then I'm afraid to tell you that that wasn't a joke.

Keep trying though.

I meant that if he wants to complain about the pace, he should just blame his tactics, like it's the norm for everything here.

It was a joke and you didn't get it. No harm in that, it can happen to anyone. Chill out and go play some FM13. :)

Just a bunch of quick questions on the match engine and tactics, so I can tell whether its me or the game.

1. None of my players seem to be capable of giving through balls, even though I got most midfielders set to play them often. They always go for the ball to the back/wide, or shooting at goal.

2. Like stated above, players tend to shoot from distance a whole lot. Although I have some of the best players in the game on my team, those shots very often end up going really, really wide (towards the corner flag or even worse), even when one-on-one with the keeper.

3. 9 times out of 10 my goalkeeper uses the long ball, even though I set his instruction to passing to a defender.

4. Free kicks don't go in, ever.

5. Ref's give out huge amounts of yellow cards.

6. When defending through balls from the opponent, defenders sometimes (too often) choose to stand still instead of going along with their men. This also happens a lot when my defenders (or players in general for that matter) are capable of intercepting the through ball. They rather stick to their position.

This is not a jab at SI. I've said before I think this game is a huge improvement, but some elements of the ME make it hard for me to develop a career because it often feels like I aint really got any influence on the outcome of games. I'd like to know whether these issues are related to my tactics or because they're (known) errors in the ME. Could someone please enlighten me?

Again I would love an answer as when I have asked this before it seems to be ignored.

Here are 2 screenshots of the different shadows,Maybe I am just missing something and if I am just let me know.

Shadow blobs.

Player shadows.

Like I said if I am missing something then let me know,I have a AMD 6870 card if that helps.

The second screen shot i would assume is being played under floodlights, hence the shadows in sort of 4 ways, the first is probably just on a overcast day maybe. What where the times of the matches and weather?

Ok, slightly unusual complaint but it is annoying me a lot. From the fact something this small is annoying me a lot, you can infer I am otherwise very happy with the game.

silverj.png

Why is the text around 'Hamilton' grey instead of white. Celtic are the same, and I presume all other white teams. Also, my when my St. Johnstone team are wearing their lovely sky blue away kit, the background is a horrible metalically silvery blue. I even went into the editor to make the colour of their kit whiter, but to no avail :( I know it is only trivial, but why does the game make this part of the screen metalic? Is it supposed to represent a certain leading sports broadcaster or something? I just want it to be WHITE!

• SI Staff

Shadow blobs.

Player shadows.

I'd like to give a definitive answer but graphics side isnt my area of expertise.......hopefully one of my colleagues will be able to help...

The second screen shot i would assume is being played under floodlights, hence the shadows in sort of 4 ways, the first is probably just on a overcast day maybe. What where the times of the matches and weather?

As I said in the earlier quote I have checked the times of different matches and even if both kick off at 3pm there can be different shadow effects.

Like I said I could be missing something,I would just like to know if this is happening to everyone and thus it is meant to be this way or indeed it is a bug that the SI team need to look at.

Hi Sports Interactive. I would like to report a problem that I incurred with the save game function that causes serious annoyance, here goes.

I changed my option from the three file rolling save to 1 file as I had always done with past versions. I started a game in normal mode, and had gotten about a third of the way through the season with no problems. I then decided to give the classic mode a try and created a new game. The problem was when I came to my first save of the new game. I accidentally clicked "save" instead of "save as" and it saved over my game in regular mode! In past versions this would simply have prompted me to save as when it was my first save, as you would expect with any other computer program out there. I have now lost my first game, which is annoying. I would like to propose that this issue be fixed for the next update, it doesn't make sense to me that saving a brand new game would save over a different game and the 3 file rolling save thing tends to clutter things up and not everyone likes having them. If you can't fix this problem there should at least be a warning when someone changes from 3 file to 1 file

Thanks!

After many problems (which I expected in the beta) the game runs like a dream now

DoF - works perfectly in goings and out goings

Deadline day - what an addition!! (after the final release) loads of speculation bids flying around everywhere

I even participate in the conferences

Loving the game congrats to SI best version ever! :thup:

Paul

I must be in a minority here in preferring the feel of FM12's ME to FM13's, but only in relation to the ball mechanics and player animations (I don't have a problem with shadows either). FM13 seems to have it's players sliding around while running on the spot quite a lot (I'm guessing because they can't make these unrealistic turns anymore).

As I said in the earlier quote I have checked the times of different matches and even if both kick off at 3pm there can be different shadow effects.

Like I said I could be missing something,I would just like to know if this is happening to everyone and thus it is meant to be this way or indeed it is a bug that the SI team need to look at.

Dont know then, the second one definitely looks shadows from floodlights but if they kick off at 3pm then no idea. Is it a winter game? maybe the lights are on if it is.

"6. When defending through balls from the opponent, defenders sometimes (too often) choose to stand still instead of going along with their men. This also happens a lot when my defenders (or players in general for that matter) are capable of intercepting the through ball. They rather stick to their position."

This is something I forgot. Bang on - defenders in general are awful at anticipating danger.

this comes after a good 3-0 win against my rivals for the league atm wolves, burnley sitting sitting 8th did well to smash the on form league leaders so well with an almighty and unrealistic shot conversion, how do i go about defending that? i was 4-1 down and out of it by half time. ME is ruining everything. maybe it is my tactics sucks (not sure how it fails that badly if its got me 1st so far) but seriously i have far better players, i'm on good form, i'm at home and i look like i did OK by stats, scoreline makes it look like burnley are barcelona though and you'd assume they had 65% possession and kept me quiet most the game. tactics aren't everything and even with bad tactics my other advantages should far outweigh an outcome as stupid as that, it's like watching a solid man united score bend over in defence to swansea. this has happened before with a average charlton side who are far worse smashing me 5-0 despite stats saying i was the better team. funny games of football.

burnley before that game had won the previous game, drawn the 4 before that and lost the other two before that. freak result out of nowhere.

random random random ME, getting angry at it. seriously, what do you do? or could it just be this ME is a pile of poo at times

blackburnvburnleystatsm.png

I know this is very much a minor thing, but player of the match? Really? Nobody ever calls it player of the match, it's always been man of the match, be that in games or in real life. I would say maybe it's been changed due to female footballers in the game, but obviously that's not the case.

Playing FMC I can't offer staff more than 1 year deals. Is that wad?

I have a five year contract myself, so shouldn't I be able offer more than one year contracts?

I'm in May. Staff contract runs out in July. I can only offer contracts to May the following year.

How can poor tactics be blamed for inconsistency with the games?! FM2013 hasn't got harder but the tactics you enter don't reflect how the players play and poor teams are far too good with the ball. What button do I click to make these not happen:

-My winger was just counter attacking down the wing in the 88th minute and just stopped with nobody around him, let a Stoke player approach him, tackle him and run away with the ball while he stood there watching. Its as though he is a droid and someone switched him off.

-Sometimes with a throw-in my players throw the ball straight to the opposition despite my players being know where near. I think my players are match fixing.

-Penalties. Hundreds of them. Goalkeepers flapping the ball. Thousands.

-I could work on defending set pieces and defensive positioning 25 hours a day with a team full of Sami Hyypias but I know as soon as a cross is put into my box it never ends well.

-Goalkeepers and centre backs often boot the ball out of play when there is nobody within twenty yards of them despite having instructions to pass it short, control, and keep possession. I definitely haven't ticked the 'if in doubt, put it out' option.

-Rubbish teams having loads of possession and passing accuracy around the penalty area and scoring wondergoals or dancing through my defence like a hot knife through butter gets annoying after a while. Beating big teams is easier which is strange.

-No matter where my defensive line is the opposition will get behind it and my defenders will watch and occasionally applaud the goal.

-Good attributes aren't really related to how a player performs. Sometimes it feels as though it would be quicker and easier to give the physio a game.

In summary I think what I click on in tactics isnt really having an effect when my Barcelona team are outplayed by a Telford reserve side.

Archived